• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Skyrim on Switch Hands-on Look

VanWinkle

Look at these two comparisons from the other thread:

The lighting is almost certainly based on the Special Edition, as is the enhanced foliage.

EDIT: Yeesh actually I never played it on 360 or PS3, I had it on PC from day one, and the lighting in the 360 version linked above looks way worse than what I remember. The Switch version's lighting is definitely based on the Special Edition when you compare it to that 360 video.

I know the quality is shit... Here is a small comp.

X360
Bzci9it.png

Switch
4VYYqqF.jpg

X360
XXln4JZ.png

Switch
AnEVf2H.jpg

Yup I'd say that's a pretty clear-cut answer. Very cool. I will buy this when it goes down to $30 or so.

Smeags

I'll miss the QOL mods like carry weight and bug fixes, heck ill miss the mod scene in general, but Skyrim on the go (aka on my bed/couch/etc) will be awesome.

Glad to see its running very well!

I'll miss the QOL mods like carry weight and bug fixes, heck ill miss the mod scene in general, but Skyrim on the go (aka on my bed/couch/etc) will be awesome.

Glad to see its running very well!

Again the early rumors indicated that it would have the same mod support the PS4 version has. We haven't officially heard about mods one way or the other.

Smeags

Again the early rumors indicated that it would have the same mod support the PS4 version has. We haven't officially heard about mods one way or the other.

Nintendo has definitely grown in this area with cross-play being an example, but I'm gonna assume the worst and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. :p

Is it worth checking out Skyrim if you already played Witcher 3 and BotW?

In my opinion it is far, far worse than both of those games.

I don't want to down the game too hard, I just don't think it is a game that fits my tastes. It didn't have the writing that kept me invested in TW3 and I didn't have a good time exploring like I did in BOTW.

I think it's a well made game (well, technical issues aside), it's just not for me.

Do we know if it will have any kind of mod support? Even gimped PS4 style mods would be OK if just to remove the bullshit like weight limits.

Nintendo has definitely grown in this area with cross-play being an example, but I'm gonna assume the worst and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. :p

Yeah, im feeling the same way. But even if they allow the basic ps4 style mods id be pretty darn excited.

Regardless, looks like im buying Skyrim....again. This build looks like its shaping up nicely.

Opa-Pa

Solid 30FPS at native resolution on handheld mode sounds really good, way better than I expected. Looks like I'll be grabbing this eventually.

I endured the PS3 version for many hours, so this will be a fantastic treat in comparison lol.

Glad to see so many different opinions in these answers already =P

For what it's worth, I adore TW3 for its writing and dialogue quality, which blows every other RPG away, but I adore Skyrim as well for character creation and ongoing customisation through skills, as well as phenomenal world design and exploration that also blows every other RPG away including TW3. Your mileage WILL vary. But if you love RPGs you're going to enjoy Skyrim regardless of whether you prefer it to your faves.

kiguel182

I played this at low res, low settings and terrible settings on PC.

It's definetly tempting to play it again (with all the DLC) with more quality.

That's a very fair and frankly smart thing to do.

I get the feeling if mods were supported we would have heard about it by now.

Yet we haven't heard them say there won't be mods either. As far as I know no interviewer has asked about mods either.

There's a lot we haven't heard about this game, including whether it has all the enhancements from the Special Edition (it clearly has some or most) or what other Nintendo themed content there will be. I have a feeling there will be a Skyrim Direct before it releases to go over all of this, since Nintendo appears to be pushing this very hard.

Kremzeek

sounds impressive, but the real test is what happens when you are playing from a save game of 80+ hours of questing & exploring.

all the other console versions of Skyrim would seriously chug more the longer you play.
i would test it comparing a new game vs. my saves from 80+ hours of play and wow there was a huge difference (played on 360 & PS3).

sounds impressive, but the real test is what happens when you are playing from a save game of 80+ hours of questing & exploring.

all the other console versions of Skyrim would seriously chug more the longer you play.
i would test it comparing a new game vs. my saves from 80+ hours of play and wow there was a huge difference (played on 360 & PS3).

Playing off flash memory and a 4GBs of RAM should resolve that issue.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

I'll add my two cents.

If you're all about gameplay feel (such as combat gameplay), I'd say skip. Otherwise it's hard to say. I could never play it more than a few minutes at a friend's precisely because I hated the gameplay and don't care much for the fairly drab presentation.
For the record I:
- found The Witcher 3 boring after a while; too many quests everywhere, too many item types (it works better in Zelda BotW somehow), bad crafting system, rigid combat gameplay... Plus I didn't like the protagonist
- dropped Dark Souls after a few hours (again, didn't like the gameplay)
- absolutely loved Zelda Breath of the Wild to bits (because of the great sense of exploration of experimentation)
- really liked Dragon's Dogma despite some pretty big flaws.

I guess I fall more on the gameplay and sense of wonder/exploration side of open world RPGs. If you're like me, again, maybe you should skip it. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, and in fact, you might wanna give it a shot if you love modding... Though it remains to be seen what kind of mod support the Switch version will get.

heringer

I'll add my two cents.

If you're all about gameplay feel (such as combat gameplay), I'd say skip. Otherwise it's hard to say. I could never play it more than a few minutes at a friend's precisely because I hated the gameplay and don't care much for the fairly drab presentation.
For the record I:
- found The Witcher 3 boring after a while; too many quests everywhere, too many item types (it works better in Zelda BotW somehow), bad crafting system, rigid combat gameplay... Plus I didn't like the protagonist
- dropped Dark Souls after a few hours (again, didn't like the gameplay)
- absolutely loved Zelda Breath of the Wild to bits (because of the great sense of exploration of experimentation)
- really liked Dragon's Dogma despite some pretty big flaws.

I guess I fall more on the gameplay and sense of wonder/exploration side of open world RPGs. If you're like me, again, maybe you should skip it. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, and in fact, you might wanna give it a shot if you love modding... Though it remains to be seen what kind of mod support the Switch version will get.

Funny how tastes are. I HATED Dragon's Dogma but loved all of the other games you mentioned, lol. DD has excellent combat but everything else is just... awful.

Caelus

It's a fun world to mess around with and immerse yourself in your own character.

The dungeon design, combat, game feel... are all inferior to Witcher 3 and Zelda, but I have enjoyed it for the level of customization and random shit to do, which is why I'll gladly pay full price for it on a portable.

Also, the world is pretty gorgeous (the human NPCs... not so much) and we might even get 1080p on the Switch so that's a solid package along with the portable. By the way, the music is great!

Is the game going to be 1080p docked? If so would be weird if it pulled a Minecraft and somehow managed to have a smoother framerate than the PS4 XB1 versions at 1080p, still don't get how that happened.

AzaK

Sounds like it's a good port. Now, the main thing for me will be price. Can I get it for the same price as on PC? If so then the small bonus of potentially portable will tip me over the edge (I don't care about mods or graphics too much). If it's more expensive than the PC version I might just get it on that instead as I'll be playing 99.999% on a tele.

Is the game going to be 1080p docked? If so would be weird if it pulled a Minecraft and somehow managed to have a smoother framerate than the PS4 XB1 versions at 1080p, still don't get how that happened.
Lego City runs at 1080p in PS4 and Switch and 900p on XBO... Thats more weird.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Had it preordered since E3 and am so ready.

Smaller draw distance?

yeah but it's not that much smaller 12 chunks vs 18 chunks, and the the Switch is only, what? 30% of the PS4's power? PS4 should be more than capable of better performance, maybe they're holding off on optimizing those versions until the new engine.

As long as you aren't expecting the same kind of responsive interactivity and combat from Breath of the Wild and are just looking for a fantasy world to get lost in, then Skyrim's a nice complement to BotW. Different kind of game with a very different tone (more RPG, less action game), but the freedom to explore is definitely comparable and the role-playing stuff makes the world feel deep and responsive in some ways that BotW doesn't really focus on.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lego City runs at 1080p in PS4 and Switch and 900p on XBO... Thats more weird.

It's not that weird. The effects they had to dial back on to get acceptable performance on the Switch version resulted in enough overhead for a full 1080p.

EDarkness

It's not that weird. The effects they had to dial back on to get acceptable performance on the Switch version resulted in enough overhead for a full 1080p.

The great thing is they look close enough that I doubt the average player could tell the difference between the versions.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Funny how tastes are. I HATED Dragon's Dogma but loved all of the other games you mentioned, lol. DD has excellent combat but everything else is just... awful.

Haha! Well, to be fair, I'm not saying those games don't have qualities of their own, or that Dragon's Dogma is anywhere near perfect. But, unlike those other games, I actually finished it. I'm not big on open world games, so either the gameplay has to make up for it (Dragon's Dogma/BotW) or the world itself has to be better crafted than anything else on the market (BotW).

Doctre81

Man, don't do this to yourself. Even if there is an NVIDIA 7nm mobile solution that is close to what ever the most likely 10TF+ next gen consoles have Nintendo can't afford to put it in a tablet. Hell, they could have used Tegra X2 with the switch, but NVIDIA gave them a sweetheart deal on the X1.

Please stop with this. X2 is for cars and the cpu in the x1 is better suited for a gaming machine. There is a reason why even the new shield tablet still uses an x1. Add to the fact that the difference in performance between the two isn't as large as you think. The ideal upgrade from the x1 would have been xavier but there was no way that was gonna happen given switch's dev time.

Please stop with this. X2 is for cars and the cpu in the x1 is better suited for a gaming machine. There is a reason why even the new shield tablet still uses an x1. Add to the fact that the difference in performance between the two isn't as large as you think. The ideal upgrade from the x1 would have been xavier but there was no way that was gonna happen given switch's dev time.

So you are going to have to explain this. Because I just looked it up and the X2 is a general purpose SOC with a variant Drive PX2 that is focused on autonomous cars. The X2 has same amount of cores and the same 15W power consumption as the X1, but the 256 Pascal cores clock higher. That makes a peak 750GFlops vs 512GFlops on X1. That's not a lot, but it's not nothing either. Also how is the X1 CPU better suited for gaming?

Anyway point is the Switch is built on tech that's being made obsolete by updated hardware the year it's released, so I doubt the next Switch will be on cutting edge hardware that's anyway comparable to non mobile consoles.

Top Bottom