• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star Wars Battlefront Face Off

UnrealEck

I might be wrong here.

1080p = 1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels
900p = 1600x900 = 1440000 pixels
83% of 1080p = 0.83x2073600 = 1721088 pixels
55% of 1080p = 0.55x2073600 = 1140480 pixels

So isn't 55% of 1080p closer to 900p than 83% of 1080p?

Thing is with the 750ti, yes it's done well here and in the past but you have to remember the PS4 GPU is more powerful, so it's not a direct test, it's a bonus if the 750ti matches or out performs and just reading here it seems to very well again despite being technically inferior. People are talking as if it's a direct equivalent.

A GTX 660 or R7 265 would be a match and I think sticking with NVidia drivers will give a fair test as as we see AMD card stumble at launch on PC like Fallout 4 due to drivers so sticking a 265 or 7850/7870 in there would give a false impression.

jmga

I see the 750 Ti doing better or worse than PS4 depending on the map, so I wouldn't exactly say It doesn't keep up.

I might be wrong here.

200% is a doubling in both resolution directions in the ingame panel.

So 1920X1080 becomes 3820X2160. "200%" is actually a 400% increase in real resolution.

omonimo

Banned
I see the 750 Ti doing better or worse than PS4 depending on the map, so I wouldn't exactly say It doesn't keep up.
Probably they have tested it enough to come to this console. I imagine. They can't post 3 hours of fps analyses.

jmga

I might be wrong here.

Maybe it is 83% of both vertical and horizontal res.

1920*0.83*1080*0.83 = 1428503 pixels

Javin98

Banned
To be fair, we really need to see the performance in more maps. I don't know how many maps there are, but Hoth was completely absent in that test and I would like to see how both machines compared there, especially in the bunker area.

UnrealEck

200% is a doubling in both resolution directions in the ingame panel.

So 1920X1080 becomes 3820X2160. "200%" is actually a 400% increase in real resolution.

Yeah I don't know why I thought it was calculating pixels.
So 83% of 1920 is about 1600.

This game relies very heavily on maintaining a healthy population of players. So while the PC has the technical edge here with PS4 in second place, due to the population numbers skewed heavily into PS4's favor on a game that is basically a coaster when the population dies down. It seems like that makes the PS4 the top choice and this article proves that the graphical trade off in making that choice isn't so bad.

Xbox One may gain the population advantage if the game should ever become free on EA Access.

When it comes free on ea access you mean. Every ea game does :)

To be fair, we really need to see the performance in more maps. I don't know how many maps there are, but Hoth was completely absent in that test and I would like to see how both machines compared there, especially in the bunker area.

Does the hoth bunker stil drop to the 50s or whatever on console?

BTW dark, are the game backgrounds that have bokeh on console in menu pre-rendered? Or is that the pause menu while in game and then bokeh comes up?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

BTW dark, are the game backgrounds that have bokeh on console in menu pre-rendered? Or is that the pause menu while in game and then bokeh comes up?
It's the pause menu or pre/post game menu on certain maps.

Does not drop to 50 on ps4. Stays rock solid.

Javin98

Banned

IIRC, the performance was improved to a near locked 60FPS. DF did post a video, but it had only 30 players, though I assume it shouldn't have any significant impacts.

It's the pause menu or pre/post game menu on certain maps.
It makes you wonder if the "settings" level adjusts itself according to load on consoles. So if there is much more headroom in some instance, it pumps up dynamically, and not per-map.
IIRC, the performance was improved to a near locked 60FPS. DF did post a video, but it had only 30 players, though I assume it shouldn't have any significant impacts.
Aye.

Pjsprojects

This game relies very heavily on maintaining a healthy population of players. So while the PC has the technical edge here with PS4 in second place, due to the population numbers skewed heavily into PS4's favor on a game that is basically a coaster when the population dies down. It seems like that makes the PS4 the top choice and this article proves that the graphical trade off in making that choice isn't so bad.

Xbox One may gain the population advantage if the game should ever become free on EA Access.

This is my thoughts exactly.

I wish the first batch of screens in the article also had PC preset comparisons. Anyone up for the task regarding endor levels?

JB1981

The performance on PS4 really is wonderful.

I kind of do wish the game was locked at 1080p 30fps to see what it could have really looked like on PS4 though

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kind of baffled by how 1080p still isn't a thing this generation. 60 fps I get it, it's super demanding. But not even 1080p?
It is, though. I'd say 99% of games on PS4 are 1080p native. There are, perhaps, less than 10 games total that run under 1080 on there.

ST3K3LLY

Banned
I bought this on my very powerful pc but have preferred playing it on my xbox one. Better friends on there and easier to just swith on and play while talking with them. Resolution definitely isn't everything.

Very impressed by what they did on the Xbox One version, okay it's 720p but still wow for this hardware. I would like to have a photo-exploration mode at 30fps-1080p only just to see the awesomeness of the models and the details.

Dice if you hear me…

Javin98

Banned
One thing someone with the game could do is check that they run the same.

1600x900
versus
83% scaling of 1920x1080
It should have around the same level of performance, though, right? In the calculations above, 83% of 1080p is actually slightly less than 900p in pixel density, but I assume the slight difference should not affect performance at all. Unless I'm unaware that resolution scaling might have something else going on in the hardware. Also, isn't the HUD rendered at 1080p at 83% resolution scale?

ISee

I bought this on my very powerful pc but have preferred playing it on my xbox one. Better friends on there and easier to just swith on and play while talking with them. Resolution definitely isn't everything.

I bought this on my very powerfull PC, but never heard of TeamSpeak, Skype, Ventrilo or the build in Origin friends (Voice)chat, PC gaming is so bad lol. Also only terrible people play on PC, because the Xbox One has better friends because of the cloud. It automatically improves people's intelligence and 23% less people on Xbox One claim to have daily sexual intercourse with your mother compared to PC. Also Microsoft told me resolution doesn't matter so I connected my xbox one to my grandmas black 'n white TV, you all suck for playing on those HDready TVs.

Look St3k3lly, I know I am behaving like a scumbag at the moment. But seriously this sounds like very bad Microsoft PR. All I seem to read in technical threads is: Yeah but friends on xobx one. I am getting really a bit tiered about it and your Voice Chat on PC argument is terrible. We (my friends and me) are using PC voicechat since 2003... (and many PC players probably way before that). So enjoy the game, it's still a great port, but I do not understand why 'friends' is an argument in a technical thread.

mr-paul

Is it just me who can barely tell any difference between all the comparison shots? They all look good to me!

Don't understand all the technical mumbo jumbo either, as long as a game looks decent and runs well and plays well, that's fine with me :)

EGM1966

Yes, like 4 are already from EA. BF3, Hardline, Battlefront, UFC. KZSF as first party from Sony......... :/

Ubisoft has what? WD, Unity and Syndicate?

Rapture is `080p too isn't it? And SF is 1080p in SP too I believe and MP renders at 1080p using an interpolation technique it doesn't actually render at 900p or a resolution lower than 1080p IIRC.

Most sub 1080p games on PS4 and EA and Ubi aren't they?

Basically the only issue I have with the graphics on consoles is the tessellation crawling and LOD pop-in. It's really impressive.

0yqpt.png

Wish the PC version had the SSR for non-water surfaces that Frostbite just added. It would loook great here in this scene.

This is "Xbone is the best version if that's where all your friends are" kind of crazy. Why must this stuff pop up in these technical analysis threads?

Is it just me who can barely tell any difference between all the comparison shots? They all look good to me!

Don't understand all the technical mumbo jumbo either, as long as a game looks decent and runs well and plays well, that's fine with me :)

This is a tech thread. People like to discuss this stuff.. no matter what if the game is fun or not.

Top Bottom