• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star Wars Battlefront Face Off

One thing someone with the game could do is check that they run the same.

1600x900
versus
83% scaling of 1920x1080

If i ready downscaling from a higher res my first thought is hey super sampled AA
and more performance. I'm not sure how frostbyte engine handles it.

bombshell

This game relies very heavily on maintaining a healthy population of players. So while the PC has the technical edge here with PS4 in second place, due to the population numbers skewed heavily into PS4's favor on a game that is basically a coaster when the population dies down. It seems like that makes the PS4 the top choice and this article proves that the graphical trade off in making that choice isn't so bad.

Xbox One may gain the population advantage if the game should ever become free on EA Access.

You overestimate greatly how many EA Access subscribers there are. Battlefield 4 and Hardline are both in the vault and those versions have had consistently far bigger numbers on PS4.

http://bf4stats.com/
http://bfhstats.com/

Star Wars Battlefront seems to be even more skewed here early on than I remember those 2 games be around launch.

http://swbstats.com/

Gurish

Kind of baffled by how 1080p still isn't a thing this generation. 60 fps I get it, it's super demanding. But not even 1080p?
Battlefield ran at sub 30 last gen and the IQ was shit, did you say back than "wonder how this is acceptable"?

Last gen ran like shit in general and IQ was bad in most cases (and I'm not talking about res necessarily) and people still praised those consoles and their power, not even caring about 60 fps (or even stable 30) and IQ, now a game drops to 900P while keeping a very good IQ and a great 60 fps framerate and people like "what a weak gen! :(", go figure.

Oni Jazar

Multiplayer games are less about console vs PC and more about how you want to control the game. I prefer gamepad so I'll stay away from PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One thing someone with the game could do is check that they run the same.

1600x900
versus
83% scaling of 1920x1080
You do realize that the game is running at 1080p on PS4 scaled down to 900p? The Hud and menu elements are 1080.

You can use a gamepad on the PC.
Kind of. The pad handles differently on the PC from consoles. It's much more twitchy and uses less assist. Couple that with that fact that you're usually battling mouse/keyboard people and it becomes impossible to enjoy with a pad. At least I found it unplayable.

Are there any huge differences in the console version aside from lower resolution? Like condisderably worse performance on xbox or something? I want to play but I dont have a capable gaming rig or a ps4.

Gurish

Are there any huge differences in the console version aside from lower resolution? Like condisderably worse performance on xbox or something? I want to play but I dont have a capable gaming rig or a ps4.
No, XBox performance is very good, people are saying the game looks amazing on XB as well, go for it!

FranXico

This is "Xbone is the best version if that's where all your friends are" kind of crazy. Why must this stuff pop up in these technical analysis threads?

It's twice as nonsensical if people feel the need to justify the choice of platform, even when the game runs great on every platform.

Gurish

A lot of people did, yes.
Weird, don't remember such complaints last gen, the big controversies were when XB360 killed the More expensive (and year later) PS3, but most didn't care that the game still ran sub 30 and had a shitty IQ on both consoles (and in lots of cases, sub 720 as well), just that console X won.

The narrative was that those consoles were beast (and it still is), people ignored things that today, even while vastly improved, became suddenly unacceptable.

Kiant

If you only have an Xbone, just pick it up on that. Seems to run well, only sticking point is the 720p. Depends on how much that will bother your experience.

Weird, don't remember such complaints last gen, the big controversies were when XB360 killed the PS3 that cost more, but most didn't care that the game still ran sub 30 and had a shitty IQ on both consoles (and in lots of cases, sub 720 as well), just that console X won.

The narrative was that those consoles were beast (and it still is), people ignored things that today, even while vastly improved, became suddenly unacceptable.

In the latter years of the previous generation, the PC market exploded and a lot of people's standards got higher.

Gurish

In the latter years of the previous generation, the PC market exploded and a lot of people's standards got higher.
Yup, I know that this is what happened and that's why there is much higher awareness to IQ and fps today, just want to remind people that it's always been like that (and much worse even) on consoles, so they should stop bashing this gen (or at least, the PS4) based on this prespective.

They can say they are disappointed by the rendering tech or whatever but saying this gen suck when a game run at 900p or other game is not locked 30 is not really a good argument when we talk about how consoles usually used to work.

npa189

Yeah good luck playing against M/K players.

I've done it just to see it on a TV and it wasn't terrible. Would it be my primary way of playing the PC version? no way, but you could do AI battles and co-op that way.

The game is jaw dropping on PC, DICE really out did themselves graphically.

UnrealEck

You do realize that the game is running at 1080p on PS4 scaled down to 900p? The Hud and menu elements are 1080.

No, I didn't realise that.
I thought it was running at 900p and scaled up to 1080p.
Why then did DF run the budget PC benchmark at 83% (of 192x1080) resolution scale?

I'm wondering about the decision they made to go with 40 players instead of 64. Maybe this one of the compromises they made to go for the 60 FPS target?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kind of baffled by how 1080p still isn't a thing this generation. 60 fps I get it, it's super demanding. But not even 1080p?
This game could have ran at 1080p30 on ps4 without a hitch. In fact it does do that in a split screen (which is always a more demanding mode). They could make it 900p60 precisely because they had performance headroom above the 1080p30 spec.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This game could have ran at 1080p30 on ps4 without a hitch. In fact it does do that in a split screen. They could make it 900p60 precisely because they had performance headroom above the 1080p30 spec.

I think that's what really needs to be highlighted. It would be far harder to do a 900p 60fps game than a 1080p 30fps game.

XB1 itself could have been 1080p 30fps for this title, and it probably would have also been doable with Battlefield as well with relatively locked performance

But they wanted to go for double the FPS this gen, and this is what happens.

pottuvoi

Banned
Why then did DF run the budget PC benchmark at 83% (of 192x1080) resolution scale?
Because it's how the ps4 runs the game.
Game renders at 900p upscales to 1080p and then adds full 1080p GUI on top.

Kind of. The pad handles differently on the PC from consoles. It's much more twitchy and uses less assist. Couple that with that fact that you're usually battling mouse/keyboard people and it becomes impossible to enjoy with a pad. At least I found it unplayable.

Solution:

Use KB/M while in FPS or AT-AT or AT-ST.

Use Controller while on speedbikes/spacecraft.

Problem solved, and that's how I play, and it's fantastic.

Controller beats KB/M in spacecraft everytime too :)

Yeah good luck playing against M/K players.

You can literally hotswap between controller KB/M at any time.

Also see above.

I can confirm 60fps at 900p with the recommended settings while playing it on an Alienware Alpha.

And it holds between 50-60 fps with ultra settings enabled.

If you have the choice, get it on a PC.

There's no reason to tie yourself to a console unless you hate playing with a keyboard and mouse.

Also, as mentioned above, I swap to controller for vehicle control and the transition is just fine.

Edit: I would also like to add that there is better performance in actually playing at 900p than doing the DF method of 1080p at 83%.

I'm wondering about the decision they made to go with 40 players instead of 64. Maybe this one of the compromises they made to go for the 60 FPS target?

The hud is at 1080p but the game is 900 p. The scaling allows this to happen easier I guess. Like Alan wake last gen. The hud was 720p and the assets/game was at something like 540p, if I recall

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pretty cool how many things seem to be using custom settings on consoles. DICE did an incredible job intelligently targeting 60 without sacrificing fidelity. Far and away the best looking game I have on PS4 when coupled with the fact it runs at 60fps. They really raised the bar.

I'm kind of surprised that FXAA is being used on consoles. The image is a good deal sharper than I would expect. Has there been a major update to FXAA lately? A couple games lately have been using it without the typical loss of clarity I associate with it.

Eh, about the 750ti, the full quote paints a different picture...
The Digital Foundry budget PC struggles to match PlayStation 4 performance in some areas - the PC version doesn't have per-map visual option tweaks. However, in other areas, we enjoy better frame-rates

dark10x

...running at 1080p with a resolution scale of 83% is basically what the consoles are doing. Both Xbox One and PS4 are running at 1080p with the 3D portion scaled down...just like what the resolution slider offers on PC. The HUD and menu are all rendered at full 1080p.

Solution:

Also see above.
I know, but I like to lean back and play with a controller these days for pure comfort reasons. I don't currently have a comfortable way of playing with a mouse and keyboard in front of my TV. I love mouse and keyboard, but now that I work from home, I no longer find myself wanting to play games in front of my PC monitor.

Just noting that, for anyone that wants to play with a controller exclusively, it's not fun on the PC. You need mouse/keyboard.

Most impressive game this gen, actually never thought we would get graphics this good this gen at 60fp. Sure it's 900p but it still looks amazing.

Pretty cool how many things seem to be using custom settings on consoles. DICE did an incredible job intelligently targeting 60 without sacrificing fidelity. Far and away the best looking game I have on PS4 when coupled with the fact it runs at 60fps. They really raised the bar.

I'm kind of surprised that FXAA is being used on consoles. The image is a good deal sharper than I would expect. Has there been a major update to FXAA lately? A couple games lately have been using it without the typical loss of clarity I associate with it.
They could be using some post-sharpening as well / having editted the lottes FXAA sample to cwork better with their game.

Either that or it just happens to work better here due to art reasons.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
maybe i should mess around with my tv settings, but I see jaggies eveywhere. Particularly endor.

This is one of those games where, because it's upscaled, the subpixel accuracy of the TV comes into play. I bounce back and forth between a couple TVs and it looks far cleaner on the newer display. Shader aliasing and high contrast edges do give it some trouble though.

dark10x

They could be using some post-sharpening as well / having editted the lottes FXAA sample to cwork better with their game.

Either that or it just happens to work better here due to art reasons.
Yeah, none of those nasty power lines or towers that were used in BF4. It pretty much required downsampling to clean up that game.

Oni Jazar

Solution:

Also see above.

I'd rather play the entire game with a gamepad. I stay away from all multiplayer PC games.

MAX PAYMENT

This is one of those games where, because it's upscaled, the subpixel accuracy of the TV comes into play. I bounce back and forth between a couple TVs and it looks far cleaner on the newer display. Shader aliasing and high contrast edges do give it some trouble though.

Its a 2015 led

Top Bottom