• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

Elios83

I love how the XB1's insignificant 1.75Ghz cpu advantage is now a thing but PS4's much larger GPU advantage always got brushed off as not that much of a difference. If it was thought the PS4's specs wouldn't amount to too much in real world performance, what in the hell do you think 1.75Ghz is going to do???????????????

Only people clearly invested in finding advantages in XB1 hardware at all costs are seriously looking into the 1.6Ghz vs 1.75GHz CPU difference.
Everyone know that such a modest clock advantage can't produce any meaningful difference and in any case the PS4 offers the ability to use a good chunk of its GPU to help CPU calculations if needed.
It's really a pointless discussion, although I see how that unfinished/broken mess of AC:Unity has lit a flame. Will be interesting if Ubisoft ends up fixing their shit and eventually both will run at the same average frame rate :p

danowat

Banned
Judging by the DF brief analysis of the PS4 in comparison to the xbox one (and grassgate) it looks as if it will win the "better version" by a nose at the moment.

I'd say if you've got the option, and friends, and controller yadda yadda yadda, then the PS4 is likely to be the better option

Does the xbox one use the impulse triggers and if it does in what way?

Not that I can notice, but I am not that far into it, TBH, I've just sent hours after the first mission driving / walking around gawping at the scenery.

RetroStu

Banned
Not that I can notice, but I am not that far into it, TBH, I've just sent hours after the first mission driving / walking around gawping at the scenery.

Would you say the graphics and the more stable framerate do make the game look a sizeable jump from the last gen version?

RdN

I've been playing the Xbox One version for the most part of the day... The foliage is definitely there, but only in the immediate vicinity of the player. When you get some distance, it'll start to fade.

Probably a matter of the lack of memory bandwidth.

Shadow of Mordor also had less foliage on Xbox One, wonder if this is going to become a running trend to help keep resolution parity for some multiplats.

farisr

That foliage really improves the look of the game.

I LOLed at the RDR grass wars and how big of an issue it was, if it was at this level then I'd probably have understood it a bit more (still nothing to start gloating or start making fun of the other console over though).

Game still looks and runs much better than the ps3/360 versions on both consoles with additional features.

Kacho

Xbox One

jdpcrv.gif

zcptdr.gif

looks really good

myca77

It's a remaster, so I kinda expect both versions to have good AF.
As a wise late night petrol station clerk once said to me. "It's better than a kick in the bollocks".

By the time it's super cheap on steam I may have upgraded the PC for more visual lovelies, 'tis a shame though.

Metfanant

interested to read the full DF article once they have had the chance to fully explore the PS4 version and look into foliagegate a little bit more...

but seems like the game turned out as i was expecting it to.

- Slightly better looking on the PS4
- Slightly better performing on the PS4

Admittedly, AC:U had me worried for a second that this being an open world game, we might see a situation where the PS4 looks better, but the Xbone performs slightly better...but R* being R* they seem to have done their job well

ethomaz

Banned
After watch the PS4 frametest made by DF I wanted to see how it could be if unlocked... the video give the look that PS4 is running too easy at 30fps.

I don't have PC but I would love to have this game at 60fps on consoles.

Metfanant

After watch the PS4 frametest made by DF I wanted to see how it could be if unlocked... the video give the look that PS4 is running too easy at 30fps.

I don't have PC but I would love to have this game at 60fps on consoles.

likely wouldn't be anywhere even CLOSE to 60fps at any point

The Llama

A bit disappointed with the framerate on the PS4 version so far. Seems to chug a bit any time I'm driving by downtown, more noticeable during the day. I think I'll try restarting my PS4, see if that helps it. Probably just something funky going on with my system.

Chobel

A bit disappointed with the framerate on the PS4 version so far. Seems to chug a bit any time I'm driving by downtown, more noticeable during the day. I think I'll try restarting my PS4, see if that helps it. Probably just something funky going on with my system.

Try playing the game offline.

Mr E.

Great to hear about more grass, I mean grass is great an all but what about traffic density ? Haven't seen anything matching the R* trailer.

Wow, the difference in foliage is pretty large. Reminds me of Red Dead Redemption last gen where the 360 version was more rich in foliage (although it was nowhere near this bad). It was still a pretty big deal back then, and I actually remember a couple of people trying to say the PS3 version was more realistic to real life having less foliage, haha.

danowat

Banned
Uhh, the grass is still pretty patchy in those .gifs. It's just less obvious since the player is moving around.

I know, I made the videos.

The is a draw distance issue, shots pulled right out like those comparison shots won't draw the foliage.

ypo

I think the comparisons have been staged to make the disparity look worse than it is.

and your blurry video is staged to make it look better than it is. Since you have the game why don't you go to the same spot and show us da truth?

So, if I get this right, PS4 has lots of shrubbery everywhere, and the XB1 matches it in some areas and lacks shrubbery in other areas? And a lot of people are posting comparisons of those areas and saying that's representative of the difference?

danowat

Banned
and your blurry video is staged to make it look better than it is. Since you have the game why don't you go to the same spot and show us da truth?

Where is the spot?, the "blurry" video is a direct feed captured via the xbox one record feature, check out the full size version if you want.

They weren't staged, it's just more representative of what you'd actually see when playing, not some pulled out shot.

Top Bottom