• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

cakely

Fake. The ratio on map is all wrong. Left screen looks like it's from 360.

Who made this comparison?

I stand corrected. Difference is minuscule.

I'm way too spoiled by the standby/resume feature to wait minutes after minutes for GTA5 to load every time I want to resume playing it.

People should buy the PS4 version if they want more grass. #gamechanger

Difference is too huge in those screenshots, must be fake.

Difference is minuscule.

Grass is unimportant, have you seen standby/resume?

In this age of superior next gen graphics, are devs seriously neglecting the physics and appearance of realistic grass and/or shrubbery?

This truly is #grassgate

Mastperf

nope! nobody wants a discussion on that!
you can pretty much understand what the hot topic is, so plz do not deviate!
especially insignificant stuff like an official video showing things that have gone missing. (you might wanna use this link instead)

You're free to make a new thread if you feel like it'll take the heat off of your favorite console.

Mr E.

You're free to make a new thread if you feel like it'll take the heat off of your favorite console.
Heat lol. Both versions are great, surprisingly so imho. I was expecting a bigger difference. Maybe when DF get a proper finished article out they may be more differences.

j3ff3

Banned
in a way, from terrible youtube footage, i kind of prefer the overall look of the bone version, even though the difference in vegetation is quite large.

but more shimmering swings it back to the ps4 if true.

in fact i'm not buying the bone version purely because the ps3 version was a shambles that i sold in a week. not being burned again without playing it first.

d9b

Banned
Dat power of PS4. Delicious.
grass_tips.png

My updated impressions of both PS4 and XB1 versions after playing both side by side for the last 2 days:

*They both look very simular – but there is a visual advantage to PS4. PS4 seems to have slightly better lighting, more pronounced foliage, and (in my eyes) clothing detail. It doesn't seem to 'shimmer' as much as the XB1 either (slightly better aliasing on PS4 perhaps?)

*Frame rate appears to be very close. The PS4 again has a *slight* advantage, as I have noticed the 'juddering' that DF talks about with the XB1. It's most noticeable when rotating around your character, or anywhere that the camera rotates fairly quick. HOWEVER;

*The XB1 seems to handle busy scenes (lots of traffic, explosions) better than PS4. There is noticeable judder/dropped frames on PS4 in these scenarios, XB1 is almost always 'smoother' in this regard.

*One odd thing I've noticed when driving in the grass...On XB1, it seems to stutter a bit more (frame drops?) when driving around in it, the PS4 doesn't do this at all.

*The PS4'S initial loading screen (with the sirens and Rockstar logos) is noticeably choppier than XB1, not sure why that is. PS4 is quicker to load SP (both consoles have the standard HDD) by about 10-15 seconds. (initially I observed XB1 to be quicker, but with the latest patch the advantage goes to PS4).

*The XB1's controller feels a bit more responsive that the DS4, although adjusting the sensitivity in game for the DS4 largely eliminates the advantage to XB1.

*Online with both has improved after early issues, PS4 perhaps has fallen a bit behind here for me though. It's not unusual for me to go into a lobby by myself or simply time out. Having said that, I do notice that PS4 lobbies are a bit less laggy than XB1 ones.

If anyone has any questions, just ask!

j3ff3

Banned
My updated impressions of both PS4 and XB1 versions after playing both side by side for the last 2 days:

*They both look very simular – but there is a visual advantage to PS4. PS4 seems to have slightly better lighting, more pronounced foliage, and (in my eyes) clothing detail. It doesn't seem to 'shimmer' as much as the XB1 either (slightly better aliasing on PS4 perhaps?)

*Frame rate appears to be very close. The PS4 again has a *slight* advantage, as I have noticed the 'juddering' that DF talks about with the XB1. It's most noticeable when rotating around your character, or anywhere that the camera rotates fairly quick. HOWEVER;

*The XB1 seems to handle busy scenes (lots of traffic, explosions) better than PS4. There is noticeable judder/dropped frames on PS4 in these scenarios, XB1 is almost always 'smoother' in this regard.

*One odd thing I've noticed when driving in the grass...On XB1, it seems to stutter a bit more (frame drops?) when driving around in it, the PS4 doesn't do this at all.

*The PS4'S initial loading screen (with the sirens and Rockstar logos) is noticeably choppier than XB1, not sure why that is. PS4 is quicker to load SP (both consoles have the standard HDD) by about 10-15 seconds. (initially I observed XB1 to be quicker, but with the latest patch the advantage goes to PS4).

*The XB1's controller feels a bit more responsive that the DS4, although adjusting the sensitivity in game for the DS4 largely eliminates the advantage to XB1.

*Online with both has improved after early issues, PS4 perhaps has fallen a bit behind here for me though. It's not unusual for me to go into a lobby by myself or simply time out. Having said that, I do notice that PS4 lobbies are a bit less laggy than XB1 ones.

If anyone has any questions, just ask!

i'll wait to build a new pc! but thanks for the impressions

sounds similar to why i hated the ps3 version. (albeit obviously on a lesser scale. hate juddering and shimmering tho)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Article was updated:

UPDATE 20/11/14 4:03pm: The final analysis is in. We've put together a wealth of GTA 5 clips culled from capture sessions spanning over 20 different missions, concentrating on areas where the title's 30fps target frame-rate faces its toughest challenges. In comparing PS4 and Xbox One, the end result is fascinating; it shows that while there are some scenarios that prove equally challenging for both consoles, specific areas can see one platform out-performing the other. On a native 1080p title like this, we might reasonably expect PlayStation 4's more powerful GPU to demonstrate an unassailable advantage across the game, but the reality is a little more complicated.

Travelling at speed through city junctions - such as Strawberry Avenue - turns out to be a particular Achilles Heel on PS4, with sustained drops to around the 24-26fps range at their worst. It's a situation that also applies to Xbox One, but to a consistently lesser degree when testing under the precise same conditions (and borne out in repeated tests). Put simply, in areas where junctions are stacked up one after the other, the Sony platform suffers more prolonged frame-rate drops when burning through traffic with your foot jammed to the floor. It's an interesting, recurring scenario that points to a CPU bottleneck, where Xbox One's increased clock-speed has an advantage when racing around these busy sections.

Another potential cause could be hard drive access, of course. GTA 5 is very intensive in terms of background streaming, a state of affairs that made the digital download versions of the last-gen version less desirable than the physical releases (where streaming bandwidth was shared between disc and drive). To lessen the impact of any streaming bottleneck, we installed the PS4 version onto an SSD for a re-test - the results showed no improvement.

Stress-testing Grand Theft Auto 5 across a range of scenarios demonstrates that each version has its own particular strengths and weaknesses.
However, while Xbox One enjoys an advantage during high-speed races in packed junction areas, it's clear the platform faces its own particular challenges. It drops a few frames during downtown driving outside of the problem junction areas, whereas PS4 remains solid. On top of that, we've already seen that Rockstar has made some visual cutbacks to its complex outdoor rendering, presumably to accommodate Xbox One's less capable graphics hardware, but in certain areas where cuts haven't been made, performance can dip.

Complex effects work, usually involving transparency effects (explosions etc) can also cause visible, sustained hitches in performance. Explosive missions with Trevor in Los Santos' outskirts show the biggest pitfall on Xbox One - with 24fps held at length during one shoot-out. Meanwhile, the PS4 has no issue with these segments, sparing one or two dropped frames just as alpha effects appear on-screen.

It's an interesting result overall, leaving us with different performance profiles on each platform. It's an unmistakable advantage for Sony's platform when it comes to shoot-outs, but on the other hand, the Xbox One typically avoids the heavy mid-20s frame-rates that can kick in during high-speed chases.[/QUOTE]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Ecto1

Neo Member
The longer that pre-faceoff article gets, the more underwhelmed I am by the game on both systems. R* have added a lot to the visuals like parallax and high resolution textures. But its not as optimized as i first thought it was on both systems. By all means, this is still just another cross gen port.

I borrowed my friends copy on PS4, cos I wanted to try before I buy. To be honest, the performance isn't too noticeable, so Id assume it wouldn't be that bad on Xbox One either. But what gets to me is that some of the art is still low res, the car damage is still a let down and the population is still quite low in terms of AI.

Its not bad or game breaking... But its not the step up I thought it was after that first trailer, especially considering I was looking forward to this:

93f44ec1b2.jpg

That said, those few things are all I can complain about. But as a guy who's finished it on 360, I think I'll hold out for the PC version and mod it.

EDIT: Gave in today and picked up the PS4 version... Too dang tempting watching my mates playing online.

Top Bottom