• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Xbox One backwards compatibility

It's happening in every thread I'm interested in right now, this place is seriously out of control.

Some of the comments here are so incorrect, it's plainly obvious there's an agenda to crap on anything positive to do with xb1.

I've been tempted to post YouTube vids of xb1 BC to educate the haters but what's the point? When your have an agenda you only focus on the negative... The positive doesn't exist.

PS4 is winning folks, you don't need to fight... LEAVE US ALONE!!

Muzicfreq

Banned
This would have been a bigger announcement if they had true BC tech for all the games. As soon as they announced 'the first 100 games' it instantly recalled back the xbox 360 BC feature that ended up discontinued. Same will happen here after a year.
Feeling the same way.
seems like they just wanted to be able to say something Sony can't to try and generate more sales.

Pandy

You see, Digital Foundry doesn't care about screen tearing. They complain a lot about for example Wii U versions having no screen tearing at all but OMG OMG OMG a few frames less per second.

it seems that the framerate is the only relevant number to them. The game can tear as hell and they don't care. It seems they prefer hellish screen tearing over a few dropped frames. To me that's crazy talk, but what do I know. I'm not a "technical site".

So when you look at it from that perspective, at least it makes them consistent. I guess in their mind screen tearing isn't a hackish "solution" to get a "better" framerate, but simply a minor inconvenience, which is simply there on some consoles and which isn't connected to framerate at all.
Pretty much this. When I read that v-sync was being forced in all games, I actually thought that was a good thing. Screen tearing is one of the biggest IQ sins a dev can commit, imho.

It may not be perfect, but having 360 backwards compatibility really is better than nothing, and I hope that, despite their protestations to the contrary. Sony are pressured into following suit (to the extent that it is possible).

Feeling the same way.
seems like they just wanted to be able to say something Sony can't to try and generate more sales.

I think it will end up meaningful. This emulation/nativeness is still early and the bugs need to be ironed out before release. Microsoft have done a good job in streamlining their system after the initial clusterfuck. Having XBLA games work is also excellent.

If this ends up being decent, we have decided to invest in an Xbox One (when Microsoft try one of those massive deals anyway).

Sony should definitely make digital purchases from the PS3 era available for free via PS Now. They've done a good job in porting many of the notable games.

They definitely need to add in PS1/PS2 native support. No excuses really.

Prine

Banned
What is this?
He has a point. Ludicrous statements are being made about he BC like its unplayable or using ME to define the entire experience, ignoring other posters and video analysis saying its completely playable. The worst is posters making stuff up about the process, ie saying each game will be a special case and will require considerable attention.
Feeling the same way.

Or they done this to allow gamers to enjoy their games, they went the extra mile and virtualized the OS while bringing X1 features on top. And everything Sony/MS do is to make their console a more attractive product, and if the other can't provide it they should shout out about it. Sales 101.

Rocketz

Feeling the same way.

God forbid Microsoft some doing something to set them apart from another brand.

I guess Microsoft should go apologize to Sony for trying to take their sales because they made something positive for their console.

oti

Banned
Love that they're doing this. Gonna buy myself an Xbox One if Tomb Raider ends up being really really good. I could play Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon if they'll figure out multi disc games too. So that's nice. :)

Muzicfreq

Banned
God forbid Microsoft some doing something to set them apart from another brand.

I guess Microsoft should go apologize to Sony for trying to take their sales because they made something positive for their console.
I more or less feel like they could have just done a streaming route since they did say they reduced bandwidth consumption by 80%.

Prine

Banned
I more or less feel like they could have just done a streaming route since they did say they reduced bandwidth consumption by 80%.
Ehh no, relying on network for something like this isnt a good route to take.

Their current solution is much better then streaming, they're in control of the environment.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Oh hell no.

Im happy with the way it is now thank you very much :l

Ehh no, relying on network for something like this isnt a good route to take.

Their current solution is much better then streaming, they're incontrol of the environment.
I would think it could work fine if it truly is 80% less than what it takes to run psnow. Would have better response to the servers.

Prine

Banned
I would think it could work fine if it truly is 80% less than what it takes to run psnow. Would have better response to the servers.

You can't rely network theres too many variables that can effect it, and what happens if your connection drops? Your connection is throttled? It's not a reliable solution, this is a 360 living in your machine its bloody impressive.

When will it be available to everyone, as in Month? Just got an Xbox and I'm keen to play the Banjos again.

Edit: just saw above

Edit 2: can I join the preview program?

I've only played Geo Wars and Hexic but those two titles are flawless in my opinion. Tempted to stock up on 360 titles, but knowing my luck I'll get all the games not supported in the first wave!

N30RYU

Too many people complaing about something they dont own or like :/

Never happened before...

The problem with the BC is the use of the word "native" they used in the conference. it they had said that they will emule the games trough an emulated 360 OS ppl won't complain on a emulator on beta (ppl will also do it no matter if is a beta or not), but you won't let ppl thing that the game will run on the One the same way it run natively on a 360.

Feeling the same way.

Um. No shit? It's a differentiator between the systems.

Sony doesn't have BC. Nintendo does, and now Microsoft does. For people that want BC, either they have a 360 library already or are interested in it in the future, this feature is a big selling point for Xbox.

Flintty

Never happened before...

The problem with the BC is the use of the word "native" they used in the conference. it they had said that they will emule the games trough an emulated 360 OS ppl won't complain on a emulator on beta (ppl will also do it no matter if is a beta or not), but you won't let ppl thing that the game will run on the One the same way it run natively on a 360.

Does it really matter that they said 'native'? Like I've said before: 1) Put game in. 2) Stuff happens. 3) Play game. Most people wont give a shit what wording was used or what tech is behind it. Fact is, it works and works very well for almost every game tested.

And this is golden!

Does it really matter that they said 'native'? Like I've said before: 1) Put game in. 2) Stuff happens. 3) Play game. Most people wont give a shit what wording was used or what tech is behind it. Fact is, it works and works very well for almost every game tested.

Exactly.

ReBurn

Gold Member

I don't understand the focus on the word "native" either. Seems like such a weird thing to zero in on when it makes no difference.

I can't wait to try out the games. Waiting for my preview registration to process now. If nothing else the focus on Mass Effect has me itching to try it myself.

MilkyJoe

This whole "native" argument, anyone else presume he meant the game plays on the Xbox One as opposed to streaming? Shall we move on?

MAX PAYMENT

It's happening in every thread I'm interested in right now, this place is seriously out of control.

Some of the comments here are so incorrect, it's plainly obvious there's an agenda to crap on anything positive to do with xb1.

I've been tempted to post YouTube vids of xb1 BC to educate the haters but what's the point? When your have an agenda you only focus on the negative... The positive doesn't exist.

PS4 is winning folks, you don't need to fight... LEAVE US ALONE!!
GAF is pro sony.

Synth

This whole "native" argument, anyone else presume he meant the game plays on the Xbox One as opposed to streaming? Shall we move on?

Most people presume that. Even the majority of the people arguing against it. It's just something to complain about in an area where there's very little negative to focus on.

GAF is pro sony.

As an aggregate, it definitely is. I don't care what people try to say. If you conducted a forum wide (and somehow completely truthful) poll here it'd be lopsided as hell.

Jagernaut

Most people presume that. Even the majority of the people arguing against it. It's just something to complain about in an area where there's very little negative to focus on.

As an aggregate, it definitely is. I don't care what people try to say. If you conducted a forum wide (and somehow completely truthful) poll here it'd be lopsided as hell.

GAF is not pro Sony, it's pro PS4 just like it was pro 360 last gen. If the positions switch again next gen and Sony is the one with the more expensive and weaker system GAF will be pro Xbox2. Less people support the underdog and this gen that's the Xbox one.

GAF is not pro Sony, it's pro PS4 just like it was pro 360 last gen. If the positions switch again next gen and Sony is the one with the more expensive and weaker system GAF will be pro Xbox2. Less people support the underdog and this gen that's the Xbox one.

zam6AMN.jpg

Synth

I've been on this forum for over 10 years. The 360/PS3 situation is not at all similar to the present day situation. Last gen it wasn't impossible to read any topic regarding something to do with the PS3 without seeing it consistently overrun by 360 owners, with little to no interest in the console diverting all discussion. Hell, it's not even the case with the Wii U right now, and that's as underdog as it gets.

Flintty

Isn't that just a sad reflection of the type of people who use this forum (I can't decide if it is the minority or majority)? We are all gaming fans, why the console wars? I have never owned a PlayStation and don't intend on doing so. I wouldn't go into a pro PS thread and start shitting all over it, whether PS was on top or not.

Jagernaut

I've been on this forum for over 10 years. The 360/PS3 situation is not at all similar to the present day situation. Last gen it wasn't impossible to read any topic regarding something to do with the PS3 without seeing it consistently overrun by 360 owners, with little to no interest in the console diverting all discussion. Hell, it's not even the case with the Wii U right now, and that's as underdog as it gets.

I've been here around 15 years through multiple revisions of this site. The Dreamcast was shitted on after the PS2 came out, and the PS3 was constantly bashed by 360 and Wii fans for at least the first 2 years for being expensive and mostly useless. Shit happens.

Bgamer90

Banned
"MS will give up BC, just like the original Xbox" is the new "MS will give up on the 360, look how they stopped supporting the original Xbox after 4 years"

let's ignore all the numerous other differentiating factors, because MS is obviously gonna abandon everything that sounds good initially, please be concerned

Yep. Let's ignore the fact that the 360 was a far more popular console than the original Xbox, the fact that the Xbox One has more digital features than the Xbox 360 had (especially during the first half of its gen), and the fact that MS is teaming up with third party companies to make series bundles -- new XB1 game alongside its predecessor(s) on 360 (e.g.: Rainbow Six).

It's completely the same! Don't fall for it! Microsoft will stop supporting this by 2016!

Synth

I've been here around 15 years through multiple revisions of this site. The Dreamcast was shitted on after the PS2 came out, and the PS3 was constantly bashed by 360 and Wii fans for at least the first 2 years for being expensive and mostly useless. Shit happens.

We're not going to agree, and this thread doesn't need this conversation (and a thread for this topic should probably never exist). So we may as well drop it here.

Um. No shit? It's a differentiator between the systems.

Sony doesn't have BC. Nintendo does, and now Microsoft does. For people that want BC, either they have a 360 library already or are interested in it in the future, this feature is a big selling point for Xbox.

Could you imagine they start selling the entire 360 back catalog on Xbox One next E3? Not only emulation, but catch up on the games you missed.

Isn't that just a sad reflection of the type of people who use this forum (I can't decide if it is the minority or majority)? We are all gaming fans, why the console wars? I have never owned a PlayStation and don't intend on doing so. I wouldn't go into a pro PS thread and start shitting all over it, whether PS was on top or not.

2374817-1773637907-24511.jpg

Sony fanboys have always been the worse. They really are a disgrace to gaming, and this place is full of them. As you rightly point out, nobody is shitting up PlayStation threads like what happens in Xbox threads.

As I have pointed out before, and been banned before for it, the worst part of all is the complete lack of any moderation in any Xbox thread. It's just a free for all of trolling, shit posting and fanboying over and over again, with zero repercussions. Pick your favourite Sony fanboy, mimmick his posts in a Sony thread and see how long you last. Not very long I guarantee it.. It's pathetic.

Every single Mod on this forum is not worthy of the title and should all be replaced, if the forum had any real aspirations of being the best one out there. Currently it's just Gamespots System Wars with a superiority complex.

Here's the Neogaf mission statement as per the front page -

Evilore said:
NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation.

^ Yeah, this is not a reality, sorry. The site owner and moderation team should be ashamed.

And with that this really is my last post here, I'm tired of wading through 90% bullshit to get to something constructive to read.

Adios.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Sony fanboys have always been the worse. They really are a disgrace to gaming, and this place is full of them. As you rightly point out, nobody is shitting up PlayStation threads like what happens in Xbox threads.

As I have pointed out before, and been banned before for it, the worst part of all is the complete lack of any moderation in any Xbox thread. It's just a free for all of trolling, shit posting and fanboying over and over again, with zero repercussions. Pick your favourite Sony fanboy, mimmick his posts in a Sony thread and see how long you last. Not very long I guarantee it.. It's pathetic.

Every single Mod on this forum is not worthy of the title and should all be replaced, if the forum had any real aspirations of being the best one out there. Currently it's just Gamespots System Wars with a superiority complex.

^ Yeah, this is not a reality, sorry. The site owner and moderation team should be ashamed.

And with that this really is my last post here, I'm tired of wading through 90% bullshit to get to something constructive to read.

Adios.
If Sony screws up they get plenty of shit for it here on GAF.

OEM

Adios.

I almost agree with you about the amount of trolls and shit post we have in this forum for Xbox related stuff, but Microsoft did tried to screw over gamers. However, its crazy that some people still hold grudge, they are doing everything they can now to please gamers but they just can't catch a break. Its like damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation. I used to browse GAF a lot before I signed up, and not situation was nothing like it is now during 360/PS3 era.

Right now, there is hyperbole around all the PS games, its like every PS games are hollygrail or something and downplaying every xbox related stuff. This is what I have noticed.

but GAF is still the best place to be when it comes to gaming news and stuff. And while part of the community have become biased over the years, I am not going to leave GAF.

Quotient

This is a thread about a digital foundry article on the xbox one backwards compatibility as such i dont see discussion of whether it is 'native' or not as being off-topic. It would seem this threads purpose is for these sort of technical discussions.

MilkyJoe

This is a thread about a digital foundry article on the xbox one backwards compatibility as such i dont see discussion of whether it is 'native' or not as being off-topic. It would seem this threads purpose is for these sort of technical discussions.

This is what was said

How does it work, technologically?

It wasn't easy. It took some pretty dedicated engineering effort and very talented engineers. What they did was they created a software-based 360 emulation within the Xbox One architecture. So, when you put your disc in the drive, we're actually loading up an emulator, and then we put up a little portion of the Xbox 360 dashboard and you use that dashboard to launch into your game.

I think I read somewhere that exactly how it works is not going to be revealed. As I can gather the 360 OS is wrapped around the game download and then the emulator translates so it uses the Xbox ones hardware to run the game. I might well be wrong there, but it's how it reads to me.

Prine

Banned
Agreed. Been here for about 12 years and it's never been this bad. There's so much 'concern trolling' and an unpleasant energy to diminish positive stories or attributes of X1 that it's becoming out of control. TR thread recently, just wanted to read about the technical ambitions of CD and it was filled with salty posts about exclusivity which changed the focus of the thread. GAF isn't 1 view and that's not something that anyone can control, or should, at least just keep people on topic (I know I'm waffling on ) without spreading fud. Anyway back to the discussion.

Top Bottom