• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

majik13

I think they're probably targeting March internally but aren't willing to officially commit to it just yet, in case they need breathing room. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up as a "launch window" game. Or even (god forbid) Holiday 2017.

Remember after the game's first delay, it was listed as "TBA" for 8 months until they finally said 2016 was the goal. (Which obviously didn't pan out.) They've been extremely careful in regards to setting a hard public deadline for the game. Really taking the "it's done when it's done" approach.

I wasn't around at the time but IIRC Ocarina of Time was infamous for being treated this way back in the day.

I still think there is no way that Zelda will miss NX launch. It will be THE system seller, and Nintendo doesnt want to sell WiiUs.

FWIW I dont think it was fully disproven, from what I last saw one of our translators here said they were pretty much thinking it was fake but couldn't be sure. It sure would be one difficult product to sell with that carry around module, though. :/

Didn't Matt basically ridicule the whole thing? I suppose that's not a 100% debunking, but it's pretty close.

If there is any truth to the report in the OP though we really should be getting actual leaks soon.

I still think there is no way that Zelda will miss NX launch. It will be THE system seller, and Nintendo doesnt want to sell WiiUs.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. But I also thought there was no way it'd miss holiday 2015, or holiday 2016.

Basically, there's no real way to predict what Nintendo will do. If they need the game to miss the launch in order to ensure quality, they probably will. It really, really would be good to have at launch, though, or as close to it as possible (e.g. Melee missed GCN's launch, but was still released in time for the holiday). I'm just saying this as an observer though with no knowledge. For all we know all is fine, and hopefully that's the case.

I'm bracing myself for the worst but hoping for the best. I don't have any real hard expectations of if it'll be March or not, I'm just following along. Regardless of when it is, the game will launch when it's done and I'm fine with that.

Nowhere near like Nintendo. NX is an announced product in so much it officially exists and no other company has a problem with people discussing the possibilities of future products.

In this example the guy jumped in on the interviewer shutting down any talk of NX before anything was asked. Yet NoC still saw fit to have that edited out.
They preemptively say there's nothing they can say about a subject, then check what the interview looks like after the fact to see if there are any potential misunderstandings. These seem preeeeetty minor things.
Malus said:
Combined with the need to appeal to the handheld market as 3DS is winding down I think they definitely should aim for $250 or less.
3DS games definitely aren't disappearing as fast as Wii U games. It could be they're fine with 3DS continuing to be the affordable portable for another year or two, as long as the NX is selling to someone.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Didn't Matt basically ridicule the whole thing? I suppose that's not a 100% debunking, but it's pretty close.

If there is any truth to the report in the OP though we really should be getting actual leaks soon.

He did, which is why nobody should believe it.

majik13

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. But I also thought there was no way it'd miss holiday 2015, or holiday 2016.

Basically, there's no real way to predict what Nintendo will do. If they need the game to miss the launch in order to ensure quality, they probably will. It really, really would be good to have at launch, though, or as close to it as possible (e.g. Melee missed GCN's launch, but was still released in time for the holiday). I'm just saying this as an observer though with no knowledge. For all we know all is fine, and hopefully that's the case.

I'm bracing myself for the worst but hoping for the best. I don't have any real hard expectations of if it'll be March or not, I'm just following along. Regardless of when it is, the game will launch when it's done and I'm fine with that.

Yeah I see the point. For some reason I was thinking you meant it would hit WiiU, and then awhile later on NX. But yeah, you were talking about just a delay in general. So yeah who knows. But regardless it wont launch on WiiU before NX, which isn't what we are really talking about anyway.

Malus

3DS games definitely aren't disappearing as fast as Wii U games. It could be they're fine with 3DS continuing to be the affordable portable for another year or two, as long as the NX is selling to someone.

Comparing it to Wii U is a low standard. Slightly better than utterly dead. Though we do have the rumor of Nintendo supporting 3DS through 2018 so it doesn't sound impossible.

That doesn't stop $300-350 from being an awful price for the rumored machine. Certainly isn't going to help the NX sell to anybody and I don't see why it needs to be that expensive. Nintendo has publicly regretted launching the Wii U at exactly that price range. And given that handhelds are Nintendo's primary business it seems foolish to price it as a home console just because they might still sell a few million more 3DSs.

I'm not even gonna correct this. Fuck this shit.

You know you can't inform everybody, and it hardly makes much difference anyways as has been pointed out.

fossi8

Guys this waiting is becoming a joke, a frustrating joke please someone invent a leak or something we are hungry of false rumors at least.

Banned
Guys this waiting is becoming a joke, a frustrating joke please someone invent a leak or something we are hungry of false rumors at least.
The NX is delayed because it has pneumonia.
The NX also kneels during national anthems.
PowerVR and MIPS components.

Hydrus

If we're gonna pick teams, then I'm leaving team September and taking my talents to team January reveal. Release is getting pushed to August/ September 2017.

ggx2ac

FWIW I dont think it was fully disproven, from what I last saw one of our translators here said they were pretty much thinking it was fake but couldn't be sure. It sure would be one difficult product to sell with that carry around module, though. :/

Do you still believe?

Hi guys, I'm a Chinese Gaffer, I just checked the original thread and unfortunately it seems to be fake.

The sketch did not originate from A9VG (the ps4/ps4 pro sketches forums), and instead originated from the NX sub forum under Baidu Tieba (Think Chinese NX subreddit), a place filled with bull.

The original post also was posted in a sense of "sarcasm", as a reply to the current ridiculous state of the forum, given there are "multiple (stupid) LEAKS per day".

Sorry guys, it doesn't seem real.
(Unless it was posted within this nonsense as a form of self protection, in which you may continue to believe ;).)

Yes, some of the replies include:

Tieba -> A9VG -> Neogaf -> English translation on Neogaf

Congrats on exporting a joke worldwide

Etc.

-Horizon-

There is no NX. Kimishima, Shibata, and Reggie are busy shipping the company's money chests to an undisclosed island.

Davey Cakes

I'm starting to think maybe it won't make March, despite rumors of NX being "ahead of schedule." Keep me in the March camp, but understand my doubts if Nintendo isn't confident in their tech vs. the competition.

Nintendo seems like they're really getting caught up in the "perfect timing" aspect of this release.

The more we want it the more we're setting ourselves up for disappointment. I don't think this is something we should take day by day. Just wait until official word pops up, even if the wait is...months. People seem to be wasting a lot of energy on hoping for a reveal sooner rather than later.

L Thammy

Okay, will do. Let's go with this:

Dear GAF, I am secretly a Foxconn worker and have taken a photo of the NX.

nxmockup3vlya9.png
[/img]

GamerJM

Banned
I'm starting to think maybe it won't make March, despite rumors of NX being "ahead of schedule." Keep me in the March camp, but understand my doubts if Nintendo isn't confident in their tech vs. the competition.

Nintendo seems like they're really getting caught up in the "perfect timing" aspect of this release.

The more we want it the more we're setting ourselves up for disappointment. I don't think this is something we should take day by day. Just wait until official word pops up, even if the wait is...months. People seem to be wasting a lot of energy on hoping for a reveal sooner rather than later.

The thing is, if the thing isn't March, then they have to have SOMETHING for early 2017. Because what we have on the 3DS right now doesn't seem like a lot. I find it hard to believe Nintendo could leave their platforms this scarce release-wise for so long.

Basically what I'm getting at is that even if the NX is delayed, they're going to have to have some kind of Nintendo Direct in the short-term. At least they have to have more announcements about stuff like Ever Oasis, Pikmin 3DS, and the Wii U ports.

Why does it even matter to you? Unless you're expecting a post-Christmas-but-still-in-2016 reveal, you're making a huge deal over splitting hairs at this point. Just stop stressing over it.

That's not how Moore's Law works.

That's how Nintendo works, it was going to be years behind 'Industry Leading chips' any way, at least with a delay they can double the power in 8 months

sit back and just watch Nintendo work

giphy.gif

GamerJM

Banned
At least they waited for the Pokemon Go hype to die. Using that would have been to smart anyway.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Tbh I don't think it would have mattered that much in the long run, but the whole "Nintendo's in the spotlight, they should capitalize on it by announcing the NX," window of opportunity does feel gone now. I guess they could do it around the Super Mario Run launch.

MuchoMalo

Banned
That's how Nintendo works, it was going to be years behind 'Industry Leading chips' any way, at least with a delay they can double the power in 8 months

sit back and just watch Nintendo work

giphy.gif

I don't understand anything about this post, so I'm just going to assume that I got trolled or something.

ggx2ac

Can you believe it's almost the end of September? We had a Nintendo Direct for the 3DS at the start, followed by the reveal of Super Mario Run, then TGS and, Pokémon news practically every week.

We could be waiting until October 27th when Kimishima will tell investors, "We will not be talking about NX today."

Hahaha

Malus

Its like every NX thread there's always a mention of it being delayed.

Its like people love going back to square 1 with this shit.

We still haven't gotten much resolution from when ShockingAlberto said "March would be surprising" if the info is true and apparently hearing not so good news about the NX's manufacturing.

ggx2ac

We still haven't gotten much resolution from when ShockingAlberto said "March would be surprising" if the info is true and apparently hearing not so good news about the NX's manufacturing.

Isn't there plenty of time at the moment? I think if I remember correctly, the Wii U went into mass production in September before it launched a couple of months later.

Just because Nintendo hasn't said anything doesn't mean there's a problem. Back in May/June they said they would talk about NX by years end. By October 27th we will definitely either

A)know what NX is or
B)find out on that day NX has been delayed

As far as I'm seeing they're sticking to plans and Emily said NX is ahead of schedule.

antonz

Isn't there plenty of time at the moment? I think if I remember correctly, the Wii U went into mass production in September before it launched a couple of months later.

Yeah I am not entirely sure how production issues could be so bad right now to be a problem. Wii went into production 2 months before release. So at this point we are well ahead of schedule. I mean the only issues at this point that could threaten production numbers realistically would be Nvidia having yield issues with Parker or something to where shipments would be smaller than anticipated

ggx2ac

Yeah I am not entirely sure how production issues could be so bad right now to be a problem. Wii went into production 2 months before release. So at this point we are well ahead of schedule. I mean the only issues at this point that could threaten production numbers realistically would be Nvidia having yield issues with Parker or something to where shipments would be smaller than anticipated

Just grabbing a random article here how Nvidia is switching to Samsung for 14nm for Pascal chips although I don't know if it's to do with supply issues.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia-switches-to-samsung-14nm

The writer suggests the supply issues are more to do with producing a GTX 1080 or Titan X because I guess that has thousands of CUDA cores compared to something like Parker which only has 256 CUDA cores, so it could be pointing to something else that is causing problems for NX?

ckfy63a

Can you believe it's almost the end of September? We had a Nintendo Direct for the 3DS at the start, followed by the reveal of Super Mario Run, then TGS and, Pokémon news practically every week.

We could be waiting until October 27th when Kimishima will tell investors, "We will not be talking about NX today."

Hahaha

Aha, but not this week! Tuesday announcement confirmed.
Believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom