• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a serious note they've promoted NES Mini again and announced a Famicom version in Japan. The only other thing to get promotion is Pokémon and that's kind of its own entity. I don't see anything else to promote really. Funny I said Nintendo would end September with another announcement, but I wasn't expecting NES Mini.

What I'm trying to say is this should be all the announcements leaving NX for October. You got the investors meeting the last week and only Paper Mario releasing in October. I don't care if they're doing it on October 20th I'll take a two weeks notice if they announce the date next week!

SirShandy

We thought the same for the Wii U.

Context matters. The situations are quite a bit different now:

- Nintendo is not entering into HD development for the first time, which they admitted they struggled with, and lead to some impactful delays in the first years of the Wii U.

- They are not throwing a ton of development resources at the 3DS like they were in 2012, after a rocky first launch year with that system.

- The development framework at Nintendo is dramatically different now than it was five years ago. It's much better organized and their core teams are all under one roof which is much better for communication and sharing technical details.

- The rumored NX and certain quotes from Nintendo also points to them getting away from an ecosystem where they struggle to support two very different kinds of hardware. This points to either a shared library across multiple hardware, or the majority of resources going to a central device. Their recent restructuring points toward this goal as well.

ggx2ac

Interesting that the Famicom Mini has two detachable controllers mounted on either side of the console.

They're not detachable. It's been mentioned that they are hardwired to the Famicom console.

Edit: I guess I see what you mean. They detach off the console but they aren't wireless, and you can't remove the wire.

Taigerr

803568.jpg

804402.jpg

810442.jpg

811493.jpg

812744.jpg

813995.jpg

818366.jpg

Now that right there, LOLZ, is worth a late reveal..... ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
thanks for that man made my day truly

At this point I'll be kinda sad when the NX is revealed and we don't get any more amazing Simpsons quotes about wanting to see it.

On another note arguing with people in the NX subreddit is a very surreal experience. It's not for everyone though.

There's going to be so many thirsty Twitter fanboys angry at Nintendo for under-delivering on something they never promised. Some of these people have fabricated a non-existent console in their heads and will be super upset when Nintendo reveals something that looks nothing like it. They'll be super upset. At Nintendo.

Thraktor

This cannot be one more generation where they suffer long launch windows and software draughty because they have trouble transitioning to shader based pipelines and HD graphics in general... I hope. Sure, HD games take more resources, but one would hope they have a handle on the complexity they are targeting now.

I don't think Nintendo's issues with Wii U software were the result of technical difficulties. Their early Wii U games were very technically competent (certainly more so than most early PS360 games), and it would seem that their biggest challenge was simply accommodating the manpower required to produce Wii U level assets. Keep in mind that they were simultaneously covering a big jump in handheld asset complexity in 3DS games, and between the two they're probably the largest games publisher in the world by a comfortable margin, certainly putting out far, far more games than Sony or MS.

It would seem like the entire NX project is a response to this. Having (almost*) their entire pool of development staff working on a single platform should allow them to substantially increase their software output over either Wii U or 3DS individually, even accounting for the jump in asset quality.

*There are, of course, staff now working on mobile games, but I would imagine that this represents a relatively small proportion of Nintendo's overall internal development staff.

SirShandy

Übermatik;218629235 said:
There's going to be so many thirsty Twitter fanboys angry at Nintendo for under-delivering on something they never promised. Some of these people have fabricated a non-existent console in their heads and will be super upset when Nintendo reveals something that looks nothing like it. They'll be super upset. At Nintendo.

Isn't that what Twitter's for?

Schnozberry

I don't think Nintendo's issues with Wii U software were the result of technical difficulties. Their early Wii U games were very technically competent (certainly more so than most early PS360 games), and it would seem that their biggest challenge was simply accommodating the manpower required to produce Wii U level assets. Keep in mind that they were simultaneously covering a big jump in handheld asset complexity in 3DS games, and between the two they're probably the largest games publisher in the world by a comfortable margin, certainly putting out far, far more games than Sony or MS.

It would seem like the entire NX project is a response to this. Having (almost*) their entire pool of development staff working on a single platform should allow them to substantially increase their software output over either Wii U or 3DS individually, even accounting for the jump in asset quality.

*There are, of course, staff now working on mobile games, but I would imagine that this represents a relatively small proportion of Nintendo's overall internal development staff.

I wonder how much this will fuel the issue of no one wanting to compete with Nintendo on their own platform.

Doctre81

They did it for the N64 too and maybe the GameCube.

Not sure about gamecube but def did it for N64. I remember waiting in line for like 20 mins to play mario 64 at Toys R us about a month or two before launch.

Does anyone have that memo that went out confirming wiiu before they showed it off at e3?

With their current track record (3ds stick, FC mini pad, NES mini cable length ), what nearly fatal hardware flaw should we prepare for?

And with that
Should we expect a NX lite announcement before the NX reveal?

Banned
If Antonio Banderas was the unofficial mascot of PS4 for GAF than we shall make Morgan Freeman the NX mascot.

georly

Uhh they did that for wiiu.

Every Nintendo console since n64 that I know of has had in-store demo kiosks before launch. Usually 2-3 weeks but sometimes much longer (like N64).

As for handhelds, 3DS definitely did. Don't know about DS or GBA though.

L Thammy

For some reason, the more time I spend in these threads, the more I want Guilty Gear Xrd + Revelator on NX. I wonder why that is?

GamerJM

Banned
This topic makes me want to buy a Blu-Ray that has old Simpsons episodes on it. I never watched a lot of the old series, only caught what was on TV in reruns since I didn't have any interest in watching the show until around 07.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Caymans Island: 2:02PM

Reggie: *Chuckles* Oh I'm sorry, I cannot divulge information about that console's secret, hybrid controller.
*hangs up*
Reggie: Oh crap, I should have said, it was a controller. Oh crap, I shouldn't have said, it was an hybrid. OH CRAP, I shouldn't have said, it was a secret! *sigh* It's too hot today...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So...we have the Nintendo Financial Results Release for Q2 FY17 happening on October 26th. I believe it's a fair assumption to say that between October 26th (financial results) and October 27th (investors meeting, the first one for this Fiscal year) is the latest we can get anything on the NX. If we go with the pessimistic theory that no reveal happens this month, we can be sure something (like, indicative unveiling period, shipment forecast, etc.) will come up in those two days. My question is: should we start a countdown :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom