• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

Ray Down

Banned
Uncharted 4 killed Disney Infinity on day 1???!!!

DRUCKMANN!!!!

a4gPv7R.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Amiibo is different but still healthy
I wonder if that business model.could guarantee a longer life time to their figured

Lego dimensions is still received new worlds and packs (they just announced three new licenza I think)

Activision is struggling with their latest game (aupercharger) but confirmed a new episode right now for fall. If the new episode (supported by the new tv series) is going to struggle again they could exit the category

If so, amiibo and lego business models could be seen as less exploding but somehow safer

Disney had kind of an insane cost base.

Avalanche was 300 people, plus they had eight other studios on top of them working on Disney Infinity 3.

It's like how Junction Point was shut down after Epic Mickey 2 because they were 700 employees and the game only sold a few million.

I was always curious who buys these games.

I assume families with younger children, as well as hardcore Disney collectors. Did the figures work with a mobile game or just consoles? People tell me that most younger kids are only playing mobile games these days unless their parents also play games in which case they probably play consoles, as well as this game.

I look for Lego Dimensions to bail out before too long.

The only TTL items I buy are selected Amiibo, and those are just because I'm a Nintendo fan and want them for display. People, especially gaming adults, don't want a lot of shit cluttering up their rooms. In an industry that has eschewed plastic instruments, and is on an ever-increasing trend toward an all-digital future, it always seemed a little risky to invest a lot of money into something that involved a lot of physical stuff. Once the novelty wore off it was not long for this world.

Man, that sucks for all the people losing jobs. What little time I spent with Infinity was nice, it seemed like a well-made product.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I have a friend who has spent a ridiculous amount of money on this. I feel bad for him, though he'll always be able to play the game, I guess?

I spent a bunch of money on it as well, though I bought almost everything on sale so I mitigated as much of the cost as possible. I also was making custom Series 3 Power Disc Albums for a while and I probably covered the cost of all my Disney Infinity purchases with them alone.

I never understood the appeal of these games. The game looks boring and if its about collecting there's way better quality figures to collect. Hopefully the people losing their jobs can land back on their feet.

ChrisD

My first thought is, "I hope all the employees can land somewhere else as soon as possible."

Second, "WHAT?!"

Third, "Shoot, I need to buy some DI figures now, don't I."
Don't want to pay $30 later down the road for some of the ones I did always kind of want. I hated the style of the figures for most, but a few worked really well - like Baymax.

I need a Baymax.

Cyryus

Interesting but not totally unexpected. My wife and I went to Walt Disney World back in March and out all 4 major theme parks, I only saw one or two little sections in stores that had anything Disney Infinity related. Granted I didn't look to hard (already have everything I wanted) but thought it was odd being AT DISNEY.

Busty

Banned
I thought Infinite was selling well? :/

So did I. I wonder if Skylanders and LEGO Dimensions edged them out in sales? Its interesting that Disney is leaving the self publishing biz (for the second time?) owing to losses etc just as Warner Games is going from strength to strength.

Granjinha

Disney had kind of an insane cost base.

Avalanche was 300 people, plus they had eight other studios on top of them working on Disney Infinity 3.

It's like how Junction Point was shut down after Epic Mickey 2 because they were 700 employees and the game only sold a few million.

Yeah, it's shocking how innefective Disney was with gaming stuff. I'm surprised, actually, because generally they seem like a company that knows how to make money.

Well, at least they are still open to licensing stuff. They have a goldmine of IP's that could make great games.

AndrewPL

I always wanted to play these games with my kids when they got older. I picked up a few figures when they were cheap...guess a lot more will be hitting the bargain bins soon!

I expect skylanders and Lego to go the same way

Orca

Every fucking time Disney jumps into gaming, I warn people not to get too excited because they just aren't committed to it. The slightest hitch and they dump it and move out of gaming. What's this...the third time?

NoPiece

Is this the third or fourth time Disney has killed their internal studios and fired everyone? They seem totally schizophrenic on their games strategy.

Sesha

Wow, this is huge. What a shame. My heart goes out to everyone that loses their jobs.

It's strange that such a massive company like Disney that makes as much money are as hesitant with console gaming as they are. They've even had Disney Infinity shown during press conferences at E3.

This doesn't touch Kingdom Hearts, does it?

That probably counts as licensing, so likely not.

FoneBone

Disney doesn't publish KH

This news suggests that Disney is getting out of making games themselves, which by extension means they will just be licensing out IP to everyone else. Again.

How is that not what they've been doing (other than Disney Infinity) for years? They'd already mostly exited the console market, following the shutdowns of Propaganda, Black Rock, Junction Point, and Wideload.

Hopefully the folks at Avalanche land on their feet.

I figured someone had to get out of the toys to life game at some point, between Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, and amiibo there just wasn't enough room for everyone (both in terms of market share and literally in terms of physical shelf space). That being said, I always thought Skylanders would be the first to go.

curb

Banned
So did I. I wonder if Skylanders and LEGO Dimensions edged them out in sales? Its interesting that Disney is leaving the self publishing biz (for the second time?) owing to losses etc just as Warner Games is going from strength to strength.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the DI starter set was higher than Skylanders on the sales list from NPD's annual recap the last couple years but that doesn't include figures which I'm sure makes all the difference.

OneUh8

I don't get it. How is Infinity not selling? I bought 3.0 and a few figures. barely play it, but even someone like me with remote interest bought it.

I don't see how. That game is STUPID long even with a time limit. There's no way to make that a smart phone game.

I mean, you obviously need to tweak it for a different platform. I meant more along the game's idea, i.e. a turn-based board game that works with external figures.

Every fucking time Disney jumps into gaming, I warn people not to get too excited because they just aren't committed to it. The slightest hitch and they dump it and move out of gaming. What's this...the third time?

Is this the third or fourth time Disney has killed their internal studios and fired everyone? They seem totally schizophrenic on their games strategy.
After they closed Black Rock Studios, I don't know why I am surprised but, I am.

They're committed to money. Sending out their IPs to already established AAA studios is much easier than trying to run your own shop. IPs that bring in tons of cash without having the dirty work.

Man, that's rough. I met a guy who worked on Disney Infinity at GDC this year. He enjoyed working on it because his kids loved playing it.

My thoughts are out to the developers.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So to be clear, the "Avalanche" in question is different from the Just Cause/Mad Max/Renegade Ops Avalanche right?

maxiell

300 employees? Insane bloat.

I bet they took one look at how much Tsum Tsum made with a development cost of practically nothing in comparison and cut the dead weight.

No huge loss to me personally...Infinity was the worst in these type of games to me. Limiting the characters to their particular playset always seemed to defeat the purpose to me...plus the game itself just seemed way too simple and just fucking boring. Never cared for the toybox either. Not saying Skylanders is perfect, but I appreciated the idea of those games when they started at least...just feel like they have never made a truly great one yet, and have squandered it.

Lego Dimensions is bull shit entirely to me, because the only cool thing in that game was the mash up of different properties...it was no different than any other Lego game though, and cost 10x more.

oti

Banned
I don't get it. How is Infinity not selling? I bought 3.0 and a few figures. barely play it, but even someone like me with remote interest bought it.

The problem isn't that it's "not selling". It's just not selling enough for Disney. They can make buckloads of money with other merch, they don't care about video games.

Mariolee

Holy moly, I thought these were selling like hotcakes enough to make Disney happy. Everyone kept comparing them to amiibo saying this is what Nintendo should do. Guess not. Unfortunate for the 300 that are losing their jobs. Praying they land on their feet quickly.

Top Bottom