• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I blame

LINE-Disney-Tsum-Tsum.jpg

Didn't Warner/LEGO commit to 3 years with the game in an effort to get parents on board? They'll release expansions but they're not going to start over every year.

I assume we'll find out if expansions are coming at E3.

LEGO has been coming out with a slow trickle of new Dimensions sets, but I don't think there have been any major level packs since the Midway one came out.

Personally I'd like it if LEGO were to come out with a PC version of Dimensions, but they probably haven't yet to avoid people more easily cracking the game and access all the characters and levels through cheat engine or something rather than buying the figures. Still I'd like to see some kind of solution to get the game on PC.

riotous

Banned
Anectdotal; but I see Infinity everywhere... always fully stocked, and rarely given prime placement / the best "Shelf."

While some numbers for the series might be high, I think they over-produced it hence the big write off.

Yoshi88

I feel bad for every gamer invested in the franchise and the developers behind the titles, although they were never my cup of tea, personally.

But i can't help but think: Will this be LEGO Dimension's chance for LEGO Star Wars? (*please*)

NeOak

statement to TechCrunch:

“After a thorough evaluation, we have modified our approach to console gaming and will transition exclusively to a licensing model. This shift in strategy means we will cease production of Disney Infinity, where the lack of growth in the toys-to-life market, coupled with high development costs, has created a challenging business model. This means that we will be shutting down Avalanche, our internal studio that developed the game. This was a difficult decision that we did not take lightly given the quality of Disney Infinity and its many passionate fans.”​

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/10/t...rtainment-company-pulls-out-of-console-games/
Shit

ta155

I have all of 1.0 and 2.0 outside of Ronan. I only have the a handful of 3.0 figures.

I'm likely gonna sell off the majority of what I have and keep only the few I really like (Rapunzel, Ralph, Vanellope, etc.)

I'll probably go out and buy an Ant-Man as well.

I don't think I can bring myself to sell them, so much money down the drain... But with no more playsets and servers likely to go down soon I guess they're nothing but ornaments now.

BiggNife

Anectdotal; but I see Infinity everywhere... always fully stocked, and rarely given prime placement / the best "Shelf."

While some numbers for the series might be high, I think they over-produced it hence the big write off.

Yeah. I always got the impression it was a modest success when Disney was banking on it being an astronomical success. Remember how they had an Apple-style press conference for the reveal with John Lasseter raving about it and everything? They wanted it to be huge.

Do you think this will make Disney "acquisition-hungry" for an established video game developer / publisher? I think it might...

Also, if "toys to life" are a sinking ship, I don't think amiibo is a part of that ship.

KingBroly

Banned
Do you think this will make Disney "acquisition-hungry" for an established video game developer / publisher? I think it might...

Also, if "toys to life" are a sinking ship, I don't think amiibo is a part of that ship.

Considering they say they're ending their game business after years of failed attempts, it's not happening.

riotous

Banned

More likely they'll just license the hell out of their properties to existing publishers.

VexyWexy

I amassed quite a collection of Infinity figures in hopes they would eventually put out a decent game to use them in. Oh well, at least they look nice on a shelf.

Personally, I would prefer if they had focused on making a quality action/adventure/platformer and not used that janky ass clunky Toy Box as the basis for everything.

Kouriozan

Nintendo looking concerned
As long as Nintendo don't start making Amiibo only games, it can crash and burn and I won't care, honestly.
....Well, there is Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival but it already bombed pretty hard and probably told them a lesson.

SerTapTap

I really think they burned too much good will, these things always seemed exploitative to me (even amiibo, once they hit shelves). I think this was preventable but they wanted to milk it like Guitar Hero and we know how well that turned out.

I hope they're more open to licensing now and not just huge things like battlefront. MvC4 baybee

Lmao look at all the smart people.. "Shouldnt you be saying that about amiibo?"

lol

real talk nintendo should slow it with amiibo and start releasing some more niche amiibo

IMO Amiibo had far more value as "good as we're gonna get" figures for niche characters than they were for "OMG I CAN PUT MARIO IN MY GAME". The only figures I have are niche, not counting Yoshi. I have the animal crossing set and Chibi Robo, that's all. And I might get Meta Knight and DeDeDe from the Robobot setup since they look a lot better than the Smash ones.

Why would they acquire? Seems like they just want to farm the work out to other people via licensing. Acquiring would be diving right back in.

Kneefoil

statement to TechCrunch:

“After a thorough evaluation, we have modified our approach to console gaming and will transition exclusively to a licensing model. This shift in strategy means we will cease production of Disney Infinity, where the lack of growth in the toys-to-life market, coupled with high development costs, has created a challenging business model. This means that we will be shutting down Avalanche, our internal studio that developed the game. This was a difficult decision that we did not take lightly given the quality of Disney Infinity and its many passionate fans.”​

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/10/t...rtainment-company-pulls-out-of-console-games/

Aww, that sucks! Hopefully everyone working at Avalanche lands a new job soon.

Takao

Banned
This doesn't stop them from doing deals with other publishing companies in the gaming sphere.
They were doing that anyway. The Frozen and Big Hero 6 games were made by some random publisher. Sony licensed a few of Disney's IPs, etc.

Has Disney actually put out any kind of official statement on this as of yet? I'm having some trouble finding definite sources arm.

http://www.disneyinteractive.com/blog/update-disney-infinity/
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...isney-Company-Reports-Quarter-Months-Earnings

Not anytime soon.

RK128

statement to TechCrunch:

O_O! ....... :(.

Man, this is rough news to take in :(. I'm not the biggest Infinity fan, but man if they were well crafted games. I hope everyone at Avalanche lands on their feet with other positions. Such a shame, as Infinity 3.0 is a solid game from reviews and reports online.

Hope they at least keep the servers up for the recent wave of 3.0 figures and PlaySet (Battlegrounds) so buyers don't get cheated out of content despite buying it.

Such sad news to hear and is a sign that Disney is ready for the Toys-to-Life genre to end, so they are leaving while they can. Wonder how Activision and Nintendo are going to do when the genre closes....but it will be interesting to see how this plays out with their future Skylanders/Amiibo products.

fernoca

Was a bit expected. The Star Wars sets and figures and set were selling well at first, but after the movie and just overall the sales were never there.

They kept at it, because Skylanders was doing well. But considering that years later the top selling figure was Mike Wazowski, not any Avengers, not even Elsa (which was in the top 10).

This year Activision will launch an animated series along a new Skylanders game and from that will see how things pan out. Superchargers last year didn't met expectations. Though the expectations like with Guitar Hero Live were relatively high.

EDIT:
And closing Avalanche too. Darn.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. Does that mean all sets later this year are canceled?

Edit: We're getting a Finding Dory set but not the Star Wars one? NOOOOOOOO

braves01

Banned

I don't know why they'd spend the $$ acquiring someone when it costs them basically nothing to license out stuff with no real sunk costs. The only cost might be for some co-marketing in that case

I mean I do see a lot of Infinity figures in stores but, I just assumed it was because they had so many characters, not because it was doing poor.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think this leaves Activision as the only major player in the genre (yes, Amiibo, but that's a somewhat different business model).

Technically Warner hasn't left, but they haven't announced any intention of launching a new game this year, or even launching something that's not an expansion pack at some mysterious date in the future.

Amiibo is different but still healthy
I wonder if that business model.could guarantee a longer life time to their figured

Lego dimensions is still received new worlds and packs (they just announced three new licenza I think)

Activision is struggling with their latest game (aupercharger) but confirmed a new episode right now for fall. If the new episode (supported by the new tv series) is going to struggle again they could exit the category

If so, amiibo and lego business models could be seen as less exploding but somehow safer

Holy crap. Feel bad for everyone losing their jobs. Hopefully they saw the writing on the wall and were at least somewhat prepared.

SpotAnime

I have a friend who has spent a ridiculous amount of money on this. I feel bad for him, though he'll always be able to play the game, I guess?

Yeah but I wonder how long they will support the servers. They hosted all the player-created content, as well as the downloadable levels from the Infinity team. Aside from Toybox there was online multiplayer.

There was alao a huge community around this, supported by Disney with fan conventions and videos.

As long as all of the content can live on offline, the game should continue to be fully functional.

But geez, this was the last console title they self-published. AAA game development must be a tough business.

On a side note, wonder if this means more licensing and better support of catalog PC titles. Disney has done a great job of the latter in recent years, but now with LucasArts and Marvel in their staple of companies, there's even more they could release.

Edit: Just realized Avalanche is gone now too. So unfortunate, such a great studio hit with such unfortunate circumstances.

I feel like playing Toy Story 3 and Pure again now....

Edit 2: My bad, that was Black Rock, another fantastic studio Disney acquired and shuttered...

phen0m24

In honesty, having bought all 3 versions for my kids, the games aren't.. that... fun.

My kids gravitated toward the story in Skylanders and were just kinda enthralled by the novelty of seeing the Marvel and SW characters in DI. But the game didn't really hook them.

HMD

statement to TechCrunch:

Kingdom Hearts is safe everyone.

As long as Nintendo don't start making Amiibo only games, it can crash and burn and I won't care, honestly.
....Well, there is Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival but it already bombed pretty hard and probably told them a lesson.

A game like ACAF would do gangbusters on mobile with NFC connections. Amiibo needs to work on mobile and whatever the future Nintendo consoles are.

Guess I'll pick up the Spidey figure (on sale at Best Buy!)

Oersted

Holy cow. I thought it was doing well.

What? Damn no.. I thought Infinity was going well?

Hate to be the one that tells him this...

Was Infinity not doing well? I thought it was doing super well.

I thought Infinite was selling well? :/

Wow. I thought Infinity was doing well.

Time to buy some of those cool looking figures on deep discount, I guess.

I just assumed Infinity was doing well...

Where the hell is that coming from? Infinity always struggled.

Guevara

How weird would it be if Nintendo is able to make this market work, but Disney isn't? Arguably Disney has both stronger properties and better scale at making toys.

Maybe a "modest success" is good enough for Nintendo, but not good enough for Disney.

SerTapTap

A game like ACAF would do gangbusters on mobile with NFC connections. Amiibo needs to work on mobile and whatever the future Nintendo consoles are.

I don't see how. That game is STUPID long even with a time limit. There's no way to make that a smart phone game.

RoyalFool

Banned
Damn, got dozens of the things - oh well, feel like I got my moneys worth with Infinity, hope there is one last swanswong playset.

No Oswald figure is breaking my heart

Top Bottom