• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC suspends Sanders campaign access to database after staff breached Hillary's data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

The Logs: Judge for yourself.

According toIowa Starting Line's Twitter this is what was searched and done:

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

image.jpg

(And I don't know how to share Tweets like all you computer wizards here...)

DETAILS: But they were only doing it to prove that they could!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign-dnc-suspension/
Two senior Democrats familiar with the program and the investigation told CNN that the Sanders campaign accessed turnout projections for Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary, a key piece of strategy the Clinton campaign has been working on with modeling and analytics.

The Sanders team, which consisted of four people, ran multiple searches in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina and about 10 March states, including Florida and Colorado. In Iowa and New Hampshire, the Clinton campaign has ranked voters on a scale of 1-100 for turnout, enthusiasm and support, the senior Democrats said. The Sanders campaign ran two searches: "Show me all the Clinton people rated higher than 60" and "Show me all the people rated less than 30." This would be a key way of knowing who Sanders should target in the final weeks before voting: Ignore those above 60, while focus on those below 30, because they are looking for a Clinton alternative and might be open to Sanders.

LAWSUIT: Caught with his hand in Hillary's cookie jar, Bernie decides to go nuclear on the Democratic Party.

In other news, the suit is claiming for $600,000 in damages per day in which they do not have access to data.

MORE: Holy fuck! Is this the real life?

http://time.com/4155185/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-data/

Bernie Sanders’ campaign’s breach of Hillary Clinton’s voter data may have been far more extensive than previously reported, according to a person with knowledge of investigation.

According to data reviewed by TIME, the Sanders campaign appears to have obtained files with lists of voters that the Clinton campaign had cultivated in 10 early states including Iowa and New Hampshire.

Beyond simply reviewing the data, the logs show the Sanders staffers took deliberate steps to harvest and store the information. According to the logs, the Sanders staff created from scratch no fewer than 24 lists—consisting entirely of data pulled down from the Clinton campaign’s database—and saved them to their personal folders.

The logs show the Sanders campaign accessed the Clinton data for nearly one hour beginning around 10:40 p.m. Wednesday. The Sanders staffers were apparently able to view unique voter information along with accompanying information about how likely the voters were to vote for the various candidates, crucial information that the Clinton campaign has likely spent millions of dollars to collect.

Moreover, the Sanders staffers who carried out the breach included a top lieutenant for the Vermont senator: Josh Uretsky, the national data director for the campaign.

In a harsh rebuke to the Vermont Senator, the Democratic National Committee has cut the Sanders campaign off from its voter files.

“Once the DNC became aware that the Sanders campaign had inappropriately and systematically accessed Clinton campaign data,” said DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, “we directed our software [NGP VAN] to suspend the Sanders campaign’s access to the system until the DNC is provided with a full accounting” of the campaign’s access.

Sanders is now threatening to sue the DNC in federal court.

“The leadership of the DNC is now actively attempting to undermine our campaign,”
said Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver at a press conference on Friday afternoon in Washington. If the DNC does not allow the campaign to access its files, “we will be in federal court this afternoon seeking immediate relief.”

“They are not going to sabotage our campaign—one of the strongest grassroots campaigns in modern history,” Weaver added.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...s-data-director-after-breach-of-clinton-files

Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign exploited a temporary glitch in the Democratic National Committee's voter database to save lists created by Hillary Clinton’s campaign, according to an audit of the breach obtained by Bloomberg.

Sanders’s campaign has sought to downplay the severity of the incident, initially saying that only a single “low-level” staffer accessed the Clinton data and that none of it was saved. But the audit of the database's logs created by the vendor that manages the data, NGP VAN, show that four accounts associated with the Sanders team took advantage of the Wednesday morning breach. Staffers conducted searches that would be especially advantageous to the campaign, including lists of its likeliest supporters in 10 early voting states, including Iowa and New Hampshire.

The DNC, which maintains a master file of voter information with NGP VAN, has responded by suspending the Sanders campaign's access to the system until the campaign can fully explain the breach. Campaigns rent access from the party, and update the files with their own data culled from field work and other investments.

After one Sanders account gained access to the Clinton data, the audits show, that user began sharing permissions with other Sanders users. The staffers who secured access to the Clinton data included national data director Josh Uretsky, who was fired on Thursday, and his deputy, Russell Drapkin. The two other usernames that viewed Clinton information were “talani" and "csmith_bernie."

Though the Sanders campaign initially claimed that it had not saved Clinton data, the logs show that the Vermont senator’s team created at least 24 lists during the 40-minute breach, which started at 10:40 a.m., and saved those list to their personal folders.

UPDATE: Shit just got real.

From a NYT reporter

BZS5TFS.png
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...paign-disciplined-for-breaching-clinton-data/

The Democratic National Committee has told the campaign of Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont that it was suspending its access to its voter database after a software error enabled at least one of his staff members to review Hillary Clinton’s private campaign data.

The decision by the party committee is a major blow to Mr. Sanders’s campaign. The database includes information from voters across the nation and is used by campaigns to set strategy, especially in the early voting states.

The breach occurred after a software problem at the technology company NGP VAN, which gives campaigns access to the voter data. The problem inadvertently made proprietary voter data of Mrs. Clinton’s campaign visible to others, according to party committee officials.

The Sanders campaign said that it had fired a staff member who breached Mrs. Clinton’s data. But according to three people with direct knowledge of the breach, there were four user accounts associated with the Sanders campaign that ran searches while the security of Mrs. Clinton’s data was compromised.
In a statement, Mr. Sanders’s campaign spokesman, Michael Briggs, blamed the vendor for continuing to “make serious errors.”

“On more than one occasion, the vendor has dropped the firewall between the data of different Democratic campaigns,” he said. “Our campaign months ago alerted the D.N.C. to the fact that campaign data was being made available to other campaigns. At that time our campaign did not run to the media, relying instead on assurances from the vendor.”

“Unfortunately, yesterday, the vendor once again dropped the firewall between the campaigns for some data,” Mr. Briggs said. “After discussion with the D.N.C., it became clear that one of our staffers accessed some modeling data from another campaign. That behavior is unacceptable and that staffer was immediately fired.”

He added that the errors had also “made our records vulnerable.” Despite repeated requests, the Sanders campaign did not provide information about the other user accounts that were involved.

Sanders>Clinton on the issues, no matter what honestly. Also >>>>> Clinton as a cool person in general.

Gonna vote for bern no matter what, but will settle for second best Clinton in the general

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Really, really dumb move. Good on them for admitting to it and firing the person immediately.

Bernie has been finished for a while anyway to be perfectly honest.

Toxi

Banned
Ouch.

I don't know much about computer programming, but I imagine an organization database like this is not replaceable in a reasonable time period. Hope this doesn't sink his campaign and they can get access to the database again quickly.

The DNC wants Sanders to "prove the file is deleted?"

Sounds more like they're ready to coronate Hillary and don't want to run the risk of her being embarrassed by this turning into a campaign. You can't prove a file is deleted more than you can any other negative.

The DNC wants Sanders to "prove the file is deleted?"

Sounds more like they're ready to coronate Hillary and don't want to run the risk of her being embarrassed by this turning into a campaign. You can't prove a file is deleted more than you can any other negative.

8 posts for a conspiracy theory, after they've already admitted to erroneous wrongdoing, bravo.

CDX

If they would have just reported the bug / breach or whatever it was, without doing this:
accessed the Clinton campaign’s data
It probably would have been better for the Sanders' campaign.

So WTF was that person thinking, doing that?

I mean the Bernie Sanders campaign fired that person, so they, the Sanders campaign basically admitted they messed up.

Yup, happened right as Bernie was about to surge into the nomination. Clever DNC!

Except it happened because the Sanders camp accessed the data. This is directly the fault of the Sanders camp

Though I see that your reply might be sarcasm, however it applies to everyone else who thinks this is a conspiracy. So I'll leave it

Hazmat

I imagine (and hope) this gets resolved quickly. It doesn't sound like a serious malicious act, so there's no need to draw it out and cause bad blood during a primary.

x3sphere

Doesn't sound like a big deal, they reported it and promptly fired the individual responsible. It was really dumb of him to access the data, but it doesn't seem like the staff as a whole was trying to do something shady here.

Velcro Fly

I feel ya on not getting the sarcasm sometimes but come on

Sanders is done like dinner and just about everyone knows it by now.

Does anyone here think that the DNC would punish Hillary's campaign so harshly if the shoe were on the other foot? I kind of doubt it personally. I hope Bernie takes it in stride, it just means they're scared of him.

Amir0x

Banned
<tinfoil> Conspiracy, the establishment Democrats don't want Bernie gumming up the works so they framed him! </tinfoil>

I dunno, but it's not like Bernie had even the tiniest sliver of a chance of being elected, so ultimately the story won't mean much whether it's true or false.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Persecution complexes and conspiracy theories, it's a Bernie Sanders thread, alright.

Hazmat

They could have you not not accessed her data

If it was malicious it was on the part of one staffer who has been fired. There will be an investigation to see that the data is gone as well as any other potentially involved staffers. This is a weird, unfortunate situation, my point is that there's no need to turn this into a knife fight.

Instro

I'm gonna guess that they accessed the data, then reported it pretending that they didn't. Presumably the staffer is the scapegoat.

docbon

I'm gonna guess that they accessed the data, then reported it pretending that they didn't. Presumably the staffer is the scapegoat.

Bernie personally stepped up to the computer and typed ctrl+c, ctrl+v while muttering "just fuck my life up bruh".

benjipwns

Banned
It's kinda convenient that they throw this monkey wrench at Bernie's campaign, and only Bernie's campaign, almost exactly one month before 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi comes out.

It makes you wonder if there wasn't something in those files that they needed to keep out of the hands of an honest campaign right before Clinton's erupts in massive explosions.

The DNC and RNC are basically stopping at nothing to make sure she wins the weaker she looks against Bernie. I wouldn't be surprised if the body count goes up significantly as more secrets get uncovered.

Condom

I don't even care if it was malicious or not, fuck Hilary and her corporate campaign. Within reason the goal justifies the methods to stop her nomination. This might end up badly though looking at the fact that people in general care more about drama than the improvements of their own lives.

I mean... how do you tell if you've actually breached the database without running a query?

This is the classic penetration test problem. (result is that you either 1. need a waiver going in, which doesn't apply in this case, or 2. pretend you didn't see anything)

The staffer being fired is standard damage control. "Locked out until you prove you don't have the data" is standard dirty politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom