• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony will make any more Demon's Souls games?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What alternate dimension are we in where the Souls series us some kind of market monster that moves tons of units?

Mentok

Banned
I don't think we'll see it happen, but I'd jump all over it if it did. It would definitely solidify me getting a ps4.

What alternate dimension are we in where the Souls series us some kind of market monster that moves tons of units?

Two million plus sales in a niche genre is a pretty good sign. If fans of the Souls series know that one console will have one game next generation, and another will have two, it's not hard to figure out which one they'll go for. When you've got a next gen console and you're trying to reinforce your library for it, every little bit helps. That said I'm very skeptical about the idea of a Demon's Souls 2. I think "Dark Souls 2: Next Gen Edition" being a PS4 exclusive is more likely.

jns

I'm kinda torn on this--not on how much ass DeS2 would kick, that's a given, but on wanting another DeS game if it wasn't made by FROM. Another team might be able to come in and replicate what FROM did from a technical perspective, but as we all know, the Souls games are so much more than the sum of their parts. With FROM software on board, I think the Souls games have enough mainstream exposure to really push a lot of units, but with another dev?

I want to say I'd be all over it anyway, but truth be told, I'd be pretty anxious about another dev taking over.

Anyway, lets just keep our finger and toes crossed and hope that Sony has come to some sort of agreement with FROM and the game has been in development for years!!

Mr. RPG

Wow, I'm a little surprised that a lot of you guys agree that you'd prefer to see a Demon's Souls II over Dark Souls II.

Yes, while I loved Dark Souls, Demon's Souls was without a doubt my favorite game last gen.

I can't wait for a Demon's Souls II.

I've yet to see any good reason for two incredibly similar series to coexist like that.

Except for the lore, anything that could be put in a Demon's Souls sequel could just as easily be put in a Dark Souls sequel.

Mr. RPG

I dont' think we will see Demon's Souls 2 at E3 this year if it is in deed in development. We'd probably see it at TGS.

I've yet to see any good reason for two incredibly similar series to coexist like that.

King's Field and Shadow Tower, also by From, coexisted for a short time, and were both excellent through it. Their main distinction was their lore and environments, while the gameplay remained pretty similar.

Dark Souls could feasibly have been a sequel to Demons for one. Secondly, the rejig was to allow From to continue the series free of the Sony owned IP. No one told them not to use a hub world for Dark, they chose to. Dark Souls is Demon's II

Why would you want Sony to make Demon's Souls 2? You know there's a reason From went multiplatform. Dark Souls was essentially Demon's Souls 2. I can't fathom From ever making the game, so if it was made, it would be by someone else, so fuck that noise.

Enough franchises are being milked to death already.

Dr. Buni

I hope not. I don't want to buy a PS4, so I hope all Souls games besides the original are multi and come eventually to PC.

cj_iwakura

I have to believe. Is there room for both? Sure!

Do I have time for both, there's the trick...

As good as Dark is, Demon's has a certain something that DkS doesn't. It's hard to describe, but Demon's is better polished, IMO.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What would be the point of dark souls and demon's souls existing concurrently?

They're so similar in basic structure and play mechanics

Edit: oh guess just I'm not the first to ask

saucylion

What's the difference? I only played Demon's Souls. I thought Dark Souls was just a continuation of the series...?

Dark Souls is just a more refined Demon Souls. They made it open world instead of hub based, and honestly improved on nearly every single aspect of the game. It won't have the magic Demon's Souls did when you first played it since the brutal difficulty novelty won't feel as fresh. Basically whichever game you played first will probably seem better but both are great.

The big difference though is one is an exclusive and the other is multiplatform. And exclusives make some people feel better about their console buying decisions.

Dark Souls is just a more refined Demon Souls. They made it open world instead of hub based, and honestly improved on nearly every single aspect of the game. It won't have the magic Demon's Souls did when you first played it since the brutal difficulty novelty won't feel as fresh. Basically whichever game you played first will probably seem better but both are great.

The big difference though is one is an exclusive and the other is multiplatform. And exclusives make some people feel better about their console buying decisions.
Yep. You sure nailed that one. /s

spuit*11

Banned
Two similar videogames can't coexist?

I guess somebody needs to tell the military first person shooter devs they need to narrow that shit down to just the one game.

Two similar videogames can't coexist?

I guess somebody needs to tell the military first person shooter devs they need to narrow that shit down to just the one game.

Uh, it's absolute shit that we get more modern military shooters than we need, and pretty much only two of them have survived, CoD and BF. Shit that tries to compete with CoD usually dies pretty hard.

Also Souls is fairly niche and From would be insane to make it for so many fucking obvious reasons. So instead we want someone else to make it because...you liked Demon's better? You just expect it to be as good because reasons? And realize if Sony released it, it would essentially be directly competing against Dark Souls, a series that essentially exists because From decided they wanted to keep making Souls games but not under Sony's control. If they had made "Demon's Souls 2" instead of Dark Souls, IT WOULD HAVE STILL PRETTY MUCH BEEN DARK SOULS.

This weird desire to see Demon's Souls 2 when we haven't even gotten Dark Souls 2 yet, imo, shows such a lack of respect for the original devs and shows a real lack of substance in one's taste in general.

Dark Souls is in every way a sequel to Demon's Souls. It has the same gameplay and characters for crying out loud.

What I'm worried about with Dark Souls 2, and the discussed Demon's Souls 2, is that they've been, due to sales success, cornered into a spot where they won't be able to become anything but very exact copies with slight changes of what they were.

I would like to see what the next successor game could be from the same director and development team... I don't want them to have to limit it to appeal to fans because now that there's bigger profits involved, there's more risk.

What I'm worried about with Dark Souls 2, and the discussed Demon's Souls 2, is that they've been, due to sales success, cornered into a spot where they won't be able to become anything but very exact copies with slight changes of what they were.

If you played the Dark Souls 2 beta and think it's an exact copy with slight changes you're out of your mind.

If changes to ai, hollowing, speed of the game in general, what stats do, bunch of stuff I'm forgetting/care to name isn't enough of a change in a sequel, I seriously question what it is you'd want them to do with the ip. Souls is seriously one of the only ip's where they've been intelligently expanding on gameplay ideas without deciding to just completely change the game.

Dark Souls is in every way a sequel to Demon's Souls. It has the same gameplay and characters for crying out loud.

I would like to see what the next successor game could be from the same director and development team... I don't want them to have to limit it to appeal to fans because now that there's bigger profits involved, there's more risk.

You are pushing it with the gameplay, but outright wrong with the characters being the same.

The games will pretty much have to be different, or at least have something that sets them apart beyond the looks.

Midou

Would like Demon's Souls to become a more literal spiritual successor to King's Field, maybe not first person, but more dungeon focused like it was. That way it isn't too similar.

Get this composer back in too.

Would even be okay with first person actually.

Fuck it just make King's Field V.

Would like Demon's Souls to become a more literal spiritual successor to King's Field, maybe not first person, but more dungeon focused like it was. That way it isn't too similar.

Get this composer back in too.

Would even be okay with first person actually.

Fuck it just make King's Field V.

Wow you'd drive that ip into the ground pretty much over night. A niche within a niche, yes let's take this small respected game and COMPLETELY change it to be more like another niche game no one has cared about FOR YEEEAAARS. And get rid of the Demon's Souls composer because fuck him!

And you want SONY to do this, not From? I mean...you don't expect them to do this, do you?

GAF pls.

Wereroku

It is not as simple as you are trying to make it seem. Have you even played demons souls? They have quite a few differences and demons is actually more polished than dark. Also I think the hub world is superior and fits with the better atmosphere and story in demons. From will make whatever a company pays them to. They are developers who are hired by other companies.

From will make whatever a company pays them to. They are developers who are hired by other companies.

You don't actually know what you're saying do you? There's no way Sony would be willing to pay them enough for them to stop making multiplat games.

Also Demon's Souls being more "polished" (which I don't even agree with at all) has nothing to do with the ip.

John Cena level marks in this thread I swear to God.

The games will pretty much have to be different, or at least have something that sets them apart beyond the looks.

The problem is that the games are already so similar that setting them apart enough to justify two series would probably give you a game that ends up not being what people truly want out of a Demon's Souls 2.

When people say they want a Demon's Souls 2 all they really mean is they want a hub and a darker atmosphere, both that can be easily accomplished by Dark Souls if FROM if ever felt like it.

Wereroku

You don't actually know what you're saying do you? There's no way Sony would be willing to pay them enough for them to stop making multiplat games.

John Cena level marks in this thread I swear to God.
They don't have to stop making darks I am saying any company can hire them to make another game. You realize they have more than one team right. I know you want to shit on other peoples opinions but at least read what I wrote. They are a third party company who makes both original and for hire games. Sony doesn't have to pay them to be exclusive they just have to pay them for a ps4 game.

The problem is that the games are already so similar that setting them apart enough to justify two series would probably give you a game that ends up not being what people truly want out of a Demon's Souls 2.

When people say they want a Demon's Souls 2 all they really mean is they want a hub and a darker atmosphere, both that can be easily accomplished by Dark Souls if FROM if ever felt like it.

*ding ding ding*

But shhh get that logic out of here, let's just rehash old ideas and have a different dev team do it! Shit, let's have the god of war guys do it, they'll make it more accessible so the demon's souls franchise can really take off!

@Wereroki lmfao From has "more than one team"? So...what...I don't even. So let's split off some Dark Souls team members to make ANOTHER souls game while they....what? Sony dropped the fucking ball, From isn't coming back, get out of fantasy land.

Midou

Wow you'd drive that ip into the ground pretty much over night. A niche within a niche, yes let's take this small respected game and COMPLETELY change it to be more like another niche game no one has cared about FOR YEEEAAARS. And get rid of the Demon's Souls composer because fuck him!

And you want SONY to do this, not From? I mean...you don't expect them to do this, do you?

GAF pls.

Let's be honest, doing Demon's Souls 2 anything close to Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2 is a waste.

My post was supposed to be a pretty obvious joke but I guess that stuff doesn't travel well on the internet.

I AM a fan of King's Field and find the music is perfectly atmospheric, while Souls games tend to only have boss music for the most part, so its an entirely different experience.

Let's be honest, doing Demon's Souls 2 anything close to Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2 is a waste.

My post was supposed to be a pretty obvious joke but I guess that stuff doesn't travel well on the internet.

I AM a fan of King's Field and find the music is perfectly atmospheric, while Souls games tend to only have boss music for the most part, so its an entirely different experience.

Sorry, didn't really take it as a joke seeing how many people are seriously clamoring for what is essentially a guaranteed bad idea, and imo a big reflection of what's wrong with a lot of gamers.

Silky

Banned
If From Software isn't involved, it'll most likely be shit. it;ll have an 85% chance of being shit.

Otherwise? I just want From to make more challenging games.

Midou

Sorry, didn't really take it as a joke seeing how many people are seriously clamoring for what is essentially a guaranteed bad idea, and imo a big reflection of what's wrong with a lot of gamers.

I don't even know why this topic of Demon's Souls 2 even comes up every once in a while, just because Sony owns the IP, doesn't mean they have to or will ever do anything with it.

I don't even know why this topic of Demon's Souls 2 even comes up every once in a while, just because Sony owns the IP, doesn't mean they have to or will ever do anything with it.

I think it's a really bad idea to even bring up cuz to me it's like people are clamoring for the ip rather than actually showing interest in what the original team is doing.

I'll say this right now, if Sony makes Demon's Souls totally without From I will boycott it. That's bullshit on so many levels. Sony was pretty much ready to let Demon's Souls die. Don't ever forget why we got Dark Souls instead of Demon's Souls 2.

The differences between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls amount to this:

tumblr_mxvvoz1xnh1qz7kjgo1_500.jpg

So the people chest-poundingly claiming "Demonz Souls is better yo fuck you" are full of it.

The differences between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls amount to this:

So the people chest-poundingly claiming "Demonz Souls is better yo fuck you" are full of it.

Wow this post is pretty...wow.

It's actually insulting to both sides. You're pretty much comparing it to CoD there. There are some pretty important differences. The bigger issue is the devs made Dark Souls different on purpose, it had nothing to do with lol new ip. They can make a game just like Demon's Souls without having to suck Sony's dick.

Yup. They made a game just like Demon's Souls. Thanks for agreeing.

Dark Souls has an open world, much different look to the world, much harder bosses, covenants, completely different lore, etc. The game is certainly a successor to Demon's Souls but it is not just Demon's Souls with a new coat of paint.

mechphree

I predict Demon Souls 2 ps4 exclusive announced at e3..

I do think they are developing demon souls 2 right now so I doubt sony will just drop the franchise.

Sanctuary

If they had made "Demon's Souls 2" instead of Dark Souls, IT WOULD HAVE STILL PRETTY MUCH BEEN DARK SOULS.

Yeah, I just can't grasp the logic of some of the posts in this thread. It's like some think Dark would have been drastically different if it was still under the Sony flag.
Also, a more open world does not equal "open world". Much of the content is gated and linear unless you start with the Master Key. Even then there are still many areas that are locked out until later.

Dark Souls has an open world, much different look to the world, much harder bosses, covenants, completely different lore, etc. The game is certainly a successor to Demon's Souls but it is not just Demon's Souls with a new coat of paint.

The differences between the two games can absolutely be qualified as a new coat of paint. Modern Warfare and Black Ops are more distinct from each other than the Souls games.

Top Bottom