• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony will make any more Demon's Souls games?

Sanctuary

The differences between the two games can absolutely be qualified as a new coat of paint. Modern Warfare and Black Ops are more distinct from each other than the Souls games.

It's especially apparent with how many of the areas in Dark just look like revisions or almost a rehash of what was already in Demon's. The mechanics were tweaked, but not so much that they both feel distinctly different.

The differences between the two games can absolutely be qualified as a new coat of paint. Modern Warfare and Black Ops are more distinct from each other than the Souls games.

Oh so you're trolling me now.

Dark Souls brought the poise system, covenants, npc summons, waaaay harder boss battles, in general the game is harder, the design of the levels are way different in many cases, big changes like limiting spells to charges instead of letting you refill mp whenever you wanted to.

You're either trolling me or you literally have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

It's especially apparent with how many of the areas in Dark just look like revisions or almost a rehash of what was already in Demon's.

Yup. Pretty much.

Dark Souls brought the poise system, covenants, npc summons, waaaay harder boss battles, in general the game is harder, the design of the levels are way different in many cases, big changes like limiting spells to charges instead of letting you refill mp whenever you wanted to.

You're either trolling me or you literally have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

I platinumed both games. They are not that different. Everything you've enumerated is tantamount to irrelevancy.

Nags

Banned
It's especially apparent with how many of the areas in Dark just look like revisions or almost a rehash of what was already in Demon's. The mechanics were tweaked, but not so much that they both feel distinctly different.

What the fuck are you talking about?

This is pretty much exactly what I thought reading that.

Hey guys remember the Tomb of the Giants area in Demon's Souls? Remember Smough and Orenstein? Or Anor Londo in general? Remember the Crystal Caves? Remember not being able to AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edit-Hey Authentic are you ever going to elaborate or actually argue a case for any of your posts because honestly I think you're shit posting.

Sanctuary

Completely disagree. At least when coming directly from Demon's, the fights do not feel anywhere near as difficult as some of the fights you fought your first time in Demon's (although Demon's had its fair share of easy fights). Only three boss fights in Dark would I consider difficult, at least in the context of the other boss fights in the same game. *pre DLC

Demon's had Flamelurker, which was a complete bitch for those unprepared and Maneater. You could just exploit Maneater with the fog gate, but if you were to actually do the fight legitimately, it was one of the most pain in the ass fights out of any boss among both games, primarily because of the camera. Many of the fights were exploitable, which made them "easy". If you weren't exploiting though, they really were not.

Does this seriously need an explanation?

Dark Souls' Undead Burg = Demon's Souls' first level
Dark Souls' Blight Town = Demon's Souls' fifth level

and so on.

Bearing a few differences here and there, Dark Souls might as well be called a map pack for Demon's Souls.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I found Demons Souls to be slightly better. Not development wise but personally as a game that got me.. can't explain it..

with that said...

Financially...

1. Sony dropped the ball with demon's souls publishing wise which lead to ..

2. Dark Souls on multiplatform..

3. Sony has stated, they would not pay for third party exclusivity in a Microsoft kind of way.. ..

4. Why pay for Demon's Souls (Even if it is better) when Dark Souls is just as good and will continue to be made.

All sony has to do is sell enough consoles and have a good enough relationship with third parties to not allow Dark Souls to go first party to its competitor.

I think its horrible that Dark Souls was so hyped. Want a game like that? Buy a PS3 and Demon's Souls.. Its like that Quantum game for last gen that looked like Gears of War. Everyone said if you want a gears game get a 360. I said if you want a Souls game get a PS3. I do think people wanted to play Demon's Souls and couldn't being 360 only gamers and hopped on Dark Souls. I played some of it, it was only technologically better not a better game.

What...

Demon's Souls gives you far more room for easy mode shit than you realize. FFS the game has a spell you can acquire and use at soul level 1 that let's you REVIVE ON DEATH.

AND YOU CAN USE IT MORE THAN ONCE. And you never have to worry about running out of healing items, like, period. If you're doing that, you're seriously messing up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dark Souls' Undead Burg = Demon's Souls' first level
Dark Souls' Blight Town = Demon's Souls fifth level

and so on.

Bearing a few differences here and there, Dark Souls might as well be called a map pack for Demon's Souls.

Man, two sort of similar areas. You've uncovered the terrible truth.

Is this really what a new Demon's Souls is gonna end up doing? People constantly shitting on the multiplatform game in order to defend the exculsive?

Demon's Souls gives you far more room for easy mode shit than you realize. FFS the game has a spell you can acquire and use at soul level 1 that let's you REVIVE ON DEATH.

AND YOU CAN USE IT MORE THAN ONCE. And you never have to worry about running out of healing items, like, period. If you're doing that, you're seriously messing up.

Dark Souls being harder than Demon's Souls does not make it different. It makes it Demon's Souls... but on Hard Mode.

Is this really what a new Demon's Souls is gonna end up doing? People constantly shitting on the multiplatform game in order to defend the exculsive?

What ?

Dark Souls being harder than Demon's Souls does not make it different. It makes it Demon's Souls... but on Hard Mode.

You realize the game is harder due to changes in the gameplay right? Like, redoing how consumables work, making the ai better, changing the design of the bosses, giving them smarter options, etc. Oh so actual changes to the gameplay isn't "different".

Wait what the fuck did I just say?

Sanctuary

Yeah, it's better for a game to sell less copies so that the publisher/developer has less of an incentive to continue to make games we all love. /boggle It's not like going multiplat automatically equates to selling out and going mainstream. As loved as the Souls games are, they are still very much niche and don't have the kind of mass appeal or clout like such names as Uncharted or Halo.

You realize the game is harder due to changes in the gameplay right? Like, redoing how consumables work, making the ai better, changing the design of the bosses, giving them smarter options, etc. Oh so actual changes to the gameplay isn't "different".

The gameplay was tweaked, but it's not radically different. If it were, don't you think it would have alienated Demon's fans?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Sry an area of dark souls has a poisonous swamp and a bunch of vertical plank platforms. That makes them the same game. A mere map pack at most.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, it's better for a game to sell less copies so that the publisher/developer has less of an incentive to continue to make games we all love. /boggle It's not like going multiplat automatically equates to selling out and going mainstream. As loved as the Souls games are, they are still very much niche and don't have the kind of mass appeal or clout like such names as Uncharted or Halo.

To be fair, Dark Souls is less niche then people sometimes make it out to be. Isnt it at 2.5 million copies?

Sry an area of dark souls has a poisonous swamp and a bunch of vertical plank platforms. That makes them the same game.

Yup! Totally. You don't play differently in those areas at all, nope.

Remember when there was that Quelaag type boss at the end of World 5? Yeah me neither.

WHOSE UP FOR SOME SARCASTABALL!?

Sanctuary

To be fair, Dark Souls is less niche then people sometimes make it out to be. Isnt it at 2.5 million copies?

How does that contradict what I said? Do you really think it would have sold 2.5 million from being a PS3 exclusive? Those 2.5 million are across PS3, 360 and PC.
I bought my Slim just for Demon's, and I don't regret it. But no one should outright expect Souls to be system sellers. Not yet anyway. We'll see what the numbers look like after Dark 2.

I can see Sony pushing for a more loot oriented Souls game from Miyazaki to bridge the Monster Hunter market. And I can see it being particularly big in Japan if Sony play their cards right. The genre has a lot of potential to expand in consoles

Would like Demon's Souls to become a more literal spiritual successor to King's Field, maybe not first person, but more dungeon focused like it was. That way it isn't too similar.

Get this composer back in too.

Would even be okay with first person actually.

Fuck it just make King's Field V.

YES!

King's Field keeps you enclosed and trapped almost the whole way and since you're on an island there is no way out. It's a stupidly hypnotic game and holds up better than it has any right to at this point. King's Field II was hurt by opening things up just like Dark Souls and is the worse game for it.

Demon's Souls was between the two, but I'm all in for more dungeon crawling bliss.

EDIT: Joke post? Feh. Close quarters is better for tension if nothing else, I like the idea of a Souls game without wide open spaces.

njean777

YES!

King's Field keeps you enclosed and trapped almost the whole way and since you're on an island there is no way out. It's a stupidly hypnotic game and holds up better than it has any right to at this point.

King's Field II was hurt by opening things up just like Dark Souls and is the worse game for it.

Demon's Souls was between the two, but I'm all in for more dungeon crawling bliss.

Disagree with you on the Dark souls being worse for being open world, but would also enjoy another Demons game.

Wow that sounds like most of Demon's Souls. And a lot of Dark Souls.

Most of Dark Souls.

What game were you playing?

I'm not saying the maps are like Skyrim, but Demon's and to a greater extent (from what I've played of it) Dark Souls allow for a lot more room for maneuvering and there are relatively few doors or other obstacles to that.

There are exceptions, but it's a different experience than King's Field which has a few areas that allow for decent maneuvering, but by and large is much more enclosed despite being a fully interconnected map. Thinking about it more though, a lot of that probably comes down to the first-person instead of third-person perspective rather than any actual differences in space.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
How does that contradict what I said? Do you really think it would have sold 2.5 million from being a PS3 exclusive? Those 2.5 million are across PS3, 360 and PC.
I bought my Slim just for Demon's, and I don't regret it. But no one should outright expect Souls to be system sellers. Not yet anyway. We'll see what the numbers look like after Dark 2.

I'm not arguing. I was just using your post as a jumping off point for discussing that Dark Souls isnt as niche as is sometimes put forth.

My first instinct is, "they'd be crazy not to." An exclusive like that would be a real asset.

But then you've got the fact that Dark Souls is multiplatform, and Demons' Souls is very similar in terms of game design and mechanics. Which would mean two games--one exclusive, one not--competing for the same audience. And given the amount of gameplay in Dark Souls 1, would that be a smart move? Do gamers have enough time to devote to both, enough time to make a competing product worthwhile?

Not to mention FS probably wouldn't be doing the development, which isn't good. If Sony uses the IP again, they might be smart to change the gameplay drastically.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What? No. Other than Blighttown vs Valley of Defilement being vaguely similar (shantytown + poison swamp, even there the layout is significantly different), the areas are really nothing alike. There's no place in Dark that reminded me of Latria, Shrine of Storms, or Stonefang Tunnel, and even the Boletarian Palace comparisons to Undead Burg/Parish seem pretty thin to me (oh they both feature castle walls of stone.... derp! I suppose they both have a bridge with a drake). And there's nothing in Demon's Souls like Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, the Great Hollow, Painted World of Ariamis, Crystal Caves, Duke's Archives, Tomb of the Giants, the Depths, Darkroot Garden/Basin, all the DLC areas, I could go on and on. Each area felt fresh and unique and definitely distinct.

So the only analogous areas are:
- 5-1 Valley of Defilement / Blighttown
- 1-2 Boleterian Palace / Undead Parish drake bridge

For a spiritual sequel, that's pretty damn good in terms of new original content. A spiritual sequel is certainly going to have minor similarities, yet there are surprisingly few. I'm willing to bet Dark Souls 2 will have some form of dragon bridge too, and maybe a place with stone castle walls, and maybe a forest....

Does this seriously need an explanation?
Yep, and your explanation was piss-weak, sorry to say.

The gameplay was tweaked, but it's not radically different. If it were, don't you think it would have alienated Demon's fans?
Of course the gameplay is not radically different. It's a spiritual sequel. So obviously it has many things in common, but there are enough distinct tweaks that AuthenticM's idiotic "new hat" comparison is nothing short of asinine. If someone prefers a game with a hub system vs semi-open world, that's one reason to say Demon's was better. If someone prefers an MP system for magic over the charges system, that's another reason. If someone prefers DeS because its online was less wonky, that's another. Add poise vs no poise, world tendency, covenants, upgradable armours, pyromancy, and so on, and calling it a "new coat of pain" is just borderline trolling.

Personally I prefer Demon's Souls PvP, but Dark Souls PvE is superior in most ways. I wouldn't blame someone for preferring DeS, there is certainly merit to that opinion. The atmosphere, for one thing. DeS was generally more oppressive and sinister.

I do think that they'll make more Demon's Souls, but they'll try to create their own identity to said games that will probably slightly differ from the way that Dark and Demon's was.

Something that appeals very strongly to the same audience that loves Demon's/Dark Souls, but with a different identity so that Sony can build their own IP ownership without it feeling like it's clashing with Dark.

Something akin to Freedom Wars, which is Sony's flag-on-the-ground of their attempt of establishing their own identity in the competitive market of the hunting action genre.

I do think that they'll make more Demon's Souls, but they'll try to create their own identity to said games that will probably slightly differ from the way that Dark and Demon's was.

Something that appeals very strongly to the same audience that loves Demon's/Dark Souls, but with a different identity so that Sony can build their own IP ownership without it feeling like it's clashing with Dark.

Yup, that's how I picture it. At least, that's what I'd do if I had the mandate of building Demon's Souls 2. I'd also get rid of the "'s" and simply call it "Demon Souls 2", because fuck that dumb-ass title.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Now that From Software is developing multiplatform games, do you think Sony will tackle a Demon's Souls 2 without From Software? Would you even want it?

I know I would. Dat next gen Demons Souls. And although relatively niche, I would guess the Souls fans are hardcore enough to buy a console for it.

Without From there is no Demons Souls period.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Here's a better idea

maybe some games /don't/ need sequels.

I personally would be ecstatic if I had two different souls games overlapping each other.

I wouldn't be a fan of the pissing contest that would inevitably erupt around here, but as someone who absolutely loves the Souls games? I would be in a very happy place.

Well, that's kinda pushing it, but yeah, anyone downplaying how similar they are is definitely bullshitting a little bit.

Sanctuary

So the only analogous areas are:
- 5-1 Valley of Defilement / Blighttown
- 1-2 Boleterian Palace / Undead Parish drake bridge

Really don't care if you agree or not, but I don't like playing a new game only to think "Gee, this is awfully familiar". And it wasn't just the Undead Parish and Blighttown, it was all of the Undead Burg as well as the area after Quelaag/Demon Ruins. Tower of Latria kept coming to mind too. Catacombs kept making me think of the Shrine of Storms repeatedly, even if the terminator skeletons were not proper skeletons.

I never said the levels were laid out identically or that there was nothing at all new either, but much of it just kept giving me Demon's flashbacks. Even if it was only aesthetic similarities, or even if one huge segment of Dark was just a small piece of an area from Demon's, or vice versa there was no mistaking what Dark was entirely rooted in.

If you didin't draw any similar comparisons, well that's just you.

Raide

Deep Down is your new Demon's Souls.

If From don't make it, I doubt anyone else could do it justice and give fans what they expect.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Really don't care if you agree or not, but I don't like playing a new game only to think "Gee, this is awfully familiar". And it wasn't just the Undead Parish and Blighttown, it was all of the Undead Burg as well as the area after Quelaag/Demon Ruins. Tower of Latria kept coming to mind too.

I never said the levels were laid out identically or that there was nothing at all new either, but much of it just kept giving me Demon's flashbacks. Even if it was only aesthetic similarities, or even if one huge segment of Dark was just a small piece of an area from Demon's, or vice versa there was no mistaking what Dark was entirely rooted in.

If you didin't draw any similar comparisons, well that's just you.

I'm sorry but there really isnt much Latria in Dark Souls. The prison in the archives has a totally different aesthetic and feel and no place in Dark Souls has the sheer height of the towers in Latria. Even the churches in the two games are very different. Also I guess any area with lava will remind you of stonefang or crypts will remind you of SoS? Are general level themes enough to cross your line for originality?

Evoking the same feel is not the same thing as being a rehash, nor does it make Dark Souls some half assed effort. I can name more areas in Dark Souls that have no equivalent in Demon's Soul than levels that evoke it. So Ill reject your claim that "much of the game" takes directly from Demon's

Why couldn't they just add that part via DLC? Somewhat like the Dark Souls DLC.

Do you want to to fight 200ft+ monsters like the ones in the pic lol. I mean thats too crazy even for Souls. Did you see the size of those giants 0_0

If there s Demons Souls 2 I would Imagine its a collab between SCEJ and FROM just like Demons Souls so I'm not sure why people are saying FROM won't be involved.

Castef

Banned
My hypothesis:
The Sony employee which hinted at Demon's Soul 2 said so because he saw some early insider footage of Deep Down.

leroidys

It would be cool, but as long as Dark Souls is continuing, not really necessary.

The real travesty is that Otogi missed an entire generation.

Castef

Banned
By the way, I'm one of the players who prefer Dark Souls to Demon's Soul. The second game is more balanced and overall I appreciated it more than Demon's, even though under lots and lots of aspects the two games are fairly identical.

That said, it makes no sense for Sony to spend money on Demon's Soul 2.

- Dark Souls made the "saga" (or, at least, its peculiar gameplay) multiplatform so even if a Demon's Soul 2 comes out, most probably also a Dark Souls 3 will be published on next-generation consoles (I know, I know, Sony could moneyhat From Software in order to prevent this)

- It is better to have a diversified offer and Sony already grabbed Deep Down as an exclusive. Now, we - somehow "hardcore gamers" - know the game shares a similar visual style with the Souls series, yet it may be completely different in terms of gameplay. Yet, on the "outside", they may appear as two very similar games. Why investing in Demon's Soul 2 whem you could spend that money to add variety to your console's lineup?

So, again, I don't know if, commercially-wise, a Demon's Soul 2 would be a meaningful choice.

MilkBeard

I usually enjoy talking about Demon's/Dark but this convo has gotten a bit...weird.

Anyway, people are guessing that there could be a Demon's because Yoshida commented that he'd love to see more Demon's Souls. Whether or not that was just a wishful comment or if they were planning to work with From Software to make another, remains to be seen.

I don't think it's entirely out of the question for them to make a deal to continue Demon's Souls. The series has proven to be successful.

By the way, I'm one of the players who prefer Dark Souls to Demon's Soul. The second game is more balanced and overall I appreciated it more than Demon's, even though under lots and lots of aspects the two games are fairly identical.

That said, it makes no sense for Sony to spend money on Demon's Soul 2.

- Dark Souls made the "saga" (or, at least, its peculiar gameplay) multiplatform so even if a Demon's Soul 2 comes out, most probably also a Dark Souls 3 will be published on next-generation consoles (I know, I know, Sony could moneyhat From Software in order to prevent this)

- It is better to have a diversified offer and Sony already grabbed Deep Down as an exclusive. Now, we - somehow "hardcore gamers" - know the game shares a similar visual style with the Souls series, yet it may be completely different in terms of gameplay. Yet, on the "outside", they may appear as two very similar games. Why investing in Demon's Soul 2 whem you could spend that money to add variety to your console's lineup?

So, again, I don't know if, commercially-wise, a Demon's Soul 2 would be a meaningful choice.

In no way is Dark Souls more balanced lol. DWGR, poise, FAP ring, elementals, so many patches had to be made and the game is still unbalanced to this day with stuff like dark magic which can do 2.5K+ damage aka 1 shot kill and elementals that can do the highest damage in the game despite requiring the lowest stat requirements.

Its makes perfect sense. Souls has a massive hardcore following and getting an exclusive next gen souls game will do wonders for the PS4 in getting that audience on board.

There is now way Demons souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 will overlap as DS3 if there even is going to be one will be 2+ years apart.

The only people that think Deep Down looks like Souls are ones that think Souls coined the medieval fantasy look. People already got embarrassed in previous DD threads for saying such things like lol Capcom copying the mimic -____-

Demons Souls would be the perfect game to add variety to SCE since the one genre that they are missing is the rpg genre.

Horp

I really hope we get another Demons Souls. I love both Demons and Dark, but I definitely prefer Dark overall.

But if we get a Demons Souls 2, I really hope they come up with another healing system instead of the moon grasses. It's such a bad system and it kind of breaks the game when you figure it out. I would love to play Demons Souls (1 that is) with Estus Flask instead of grasses, would make the game so much better imo.
On the other hand, just putting Estus into Demons Souls 2 would be kind of lazy in my opinion, it would be nice if some other system was invented. Like having grasses like they are now, but have strong diminishing returns on usage that resets when you go to Nexus or Die? I don't know.

And regarding this weird thing going on in this topic about Dark essentially being a mappack to Demons... seriously, what? That could be said about pretty much any sequal ever. Some sequals to some games are literarly just map packs. Dark changes a LOT of core mechanics and has a very different pace and feel compared to Demons. Yes, they have tons of similarities, but just being a map pack?? Get real.

Castef

Banned
In no way is Dark Souls more balanced lol. DWGR, poise, FAP ring, elementals, so many patches had to be made and the game is still unbalanced to this day with stuff like dark magic which can do 2.5K+ damage aka 1 shot kill and elementals that can do the highest damage in the game despite requiring the lowest stat requirements.

Overall, Dark Souls is a better, more finely tuned experience than Demon's Soul. That's it. Then, it may also come down to personal tastes and I won't discuss them.

And I'm saying that Demon's Soul is a bad game. They are both two very good action-rgps. Yet, Dark Souls is thre fruit of the experience made developing Demon's Souls. And it is an overall better game.

By the way, you know where you can put your "lol", right? ;)

Its makes perfect sense. Souls has a massive hardcore following and getting an exclusive next gen souls game will do wonders for the PS4 in getting that audience on board.

That would make a little bit of sense if the Dark Souls saga did not exist. That's not the case. Right now that's not the case and a Demon's Soul 2 would not bring people on board.

There is now way Demons souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 will overlap as DS3 if there even is going to be one will be 2+ years apart.

While Demon's Soul 2 is coming out... when? I missed the announcement, actually.

The only people that think Deep Down looks like Souls are ones that think Souls coined the medieval fantasy look. People already got embarrassed in previous DD threads for saying such things like lol Capcom copying the mimic -____-

You are missing the point here. You show Dark Souls and Deep Down in a demo kiosk or a demo video in a shopping center or in TV. People look at them and may even mistake them for the very same game. And I'm talking about the "people" out of Neogaf. You know, the ones who make 99.9898% of videogame purchases.

Demons Souls would be the perfect game to add variety to SCE since the one genre that they are missing is the rpg genre.

With the exception that - again- with Deep Down and Dark Souls 3 (can I hypothize it will be published?) coming out the game will not add that much variety to the PS4 lineup. It is really that simple.

DemonNite

My hypothesis:
The Sony employee which hinted at Demon's Soul 2 said so because he saw some early insider footage of Deep Down.

tumblr_lz06vhI33T1qb4wgxo1_r1_500.gif

Top Bottom