• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want crossplay on PS4? Make your voices be heard.

As much as many of you want this to be a thing, and who wouldn't looking at it from a gamer perspective in all fairness, the way it's playing out isn't having much of an impact at all.

I'd have thought the Minecraft situation would have been the biggest cause behind which to motivate a userbase that wants to be together, it should easily be the position from which to form a compelling argument, but seeing ~5k signatures on that petition hints at apathy winning out. Not that it's at all related, but the GTA V OpenIV petition has ten times the support in a similar time frame.

I don't think the Minecraft news will play a bigger factor until it releases.

forms

To be honest, i don't understand the point. Shitloads of players on the PS4. Then again I am from Sweden, and I know one person that own the Xbox One, everyone else is running PC and PS4. :D

JoeLT

As much as many of you want this to be a thing, and who wouldn't looking at it from a gamer perspective in all fairness, the way it's playing out isn't having much of an impact at all.

I'd have thought the Minecraft situation would have been the biggest cause behind which to motivate a userbase that wants to be together, it should easily be the position from which to form a compelling argument, but seeing ~5k signatures on that petition hints at apathy winning out. Not that it's at all related, but the GTA V OpenIV petition has ten times the support in a similar time frame.
This is true, not that many people care because they don't realise how it would benefit them. It's a shame really.

To be honest, i don't understand the point. Shitloads of players on the PS4. Then again I am from Sweden, and I know one person that own the Xbox One, everyone else is running PC and PS4. :D
A large and more diverse player pool means faster matchmaking, closer skill matches and in cases of smaller games like Titanfall 2 some game modes that are currently dead wouldn't be.

U2LdS2k.jpg

Maybe you will, when Ps4 becomes the smallest dead playerbase

If its dead on ps4 why wouldn't the player base be dead on the other platforms for most games?

Because right now PS4 and PS4 Pro versions are either as good as, if not better than, versions of most games on other platforms.

Minecraft will be a different scenario when every other platform, including mobile, will have a demonstrably better version of the game.

PS4 will have an inferior version of the game, lacking features that everyone else has access to and is alone on an island competing against a vastly larger player base that is playing together regardless of platform.

Why wouldn't the PS4 Minecraft start to shrink?

CookTrain

I don't think the Minecraft news will play a bigger factor until it releases.

I really think this is the biggest thing a lot of people don't appreciate. That update is going to create a lot of frustrated and confused kids. It'll be interesting to see what goes around Youtube and the like. There's already been little rumblings after the announcement but I think it's very much going to kick up when the reality is in place.

Dunkley

People want to be able to play together regardless of platform? I mean more power to you if you don't have any Xbone friends and don't need this, but that hardly means it applies for everyone in the world.

I mean this isn't about the Xbox One, nor any sort of console warz shit. This is about being able to play together regardless of what your preferred platform is, and unless you're advocating against people being able to play together I don't really understand your post in return, especially the mention that nobody plays on the Xbox One which doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the context of this thread is about Playstation 4 crossplay with more than just Xbox One.

Either way I did my part too. Tweeted the tags, not really using Twitter for a lot but given I was behind this back when the Rocket League stuff was going down I definitely wanted to help here too so Sony at least knows there is a demand for this.

dock

Do MMOs support cross play? I remember that Final Fantasy 11 was on PS2, PC and Xbox 360. Are there any mmos without cross network play?

I never play online games because I've never had a good experience, but I still want crossplay to be an option for devs to put in their games.

When I played Quake 3 on the Dreamcast I assumed all games in the future would feature PC <> console cross network gaming.

valeu

i don't want it. i feel like there would be console trolling and i would prefer to play with people who have the same console so we can chat between matches about other games people are playing that i might want to try, and not games for another console that i don't have an interest in owning

Novocaine

i don't want it. i feel like there would be console trolling and i would prefer to play with people who have the same console so we can chat between matches about other games people are playing that i might want to try, and not games for another console that i don't have an interest in owning

What if there was a checkbox that you could hit that disabled all cross platform play?

TLS Lex

Cross play is a great idea and should be adopted in more games, I'm definitely for it. I just find it a little annoying that nobody jumped on this train before; years ago when MS refused to allow cross play with FFXIV (which is the reason Square Enix have given for never releasing it on a Microsoft console).

I also remember a year or so after the XBone/PS4 launch someone from MS mentioning Cross Play and PS saying they'd always been open to it. I guess I just don't understand why Sony saying "maybe, but not right now for reasons we're not fully disclosing" is causing this mass outrage/ buzz in the community when previously nobody gave a crap that MS literally went "nah we don't want cross play with Playstation" with FFXIV.

That said, I hope it works out.

mrg6290

Cross play is a great idea and should be adopted in more games, I'm definitely for it. I just find it a little annoying that nobody jumped on this train before; years ago when MS refused to allow cross play with FFXIV (which is the reason Square Enix have given for never releasing it on a Microsoft console).

I also remember a year or so after the XBone/PS4 launch someone from MS mentioning Cross Play and PS saying they'd always been open to it. I guess I just don't understand why Sony saying "maybe, but not right now for reasons we're not fully disclosing" is causing this mass outrage/ buzz in the community when previously nobody gave a crap that MS literally went "nah we don't want cross play with Playstation" with FFXIV.

That said, I hope it works out.

The reason no one pushed hard for it before is we didn't have any cross-console cross play. It didn't seem like a real possibility.

Now with Nintendo and MS getting things together on Mincraft and Rocket League it has become something real, and so now folks are pushing for true cross play. Just so happens that Sony is the holdout this time around. Hopefully cross play continues to grow on other platforms and forces Sony's hand.

Cerium

I guess I just don't understand why Sony saying "maybe, but not right now for reasons we're not fully disclosing" is causing this mass outrage/ buzz in the community when previously nobody gave a crap that MS literally went "nah we don't want cross play with Playstation" with FFXIV.

It's because before it was only words, now it's actually happening across different console manufacturers.

The One and Done&#8482;;241495659 said:
I don't see how this is a big deal either way tbh. If it doesn't fundamentally change the experience it's irrelevant.
Welp, we're about 22 pages in. I have this really, really strange feeling that somewhere in these 22 pages, probably embedded deep in mystical code, there are numerous explanations and opinions of why this might be a big deal. Either way.

But wudda I know

xaosslug

Because right now PS4 and PS4 Pro versions are either as good as, if not better than, versions of most games on other platforms.

Minecraft will be a different scenario when every other platform, including mobile, will have a demonstrably better version of the game.

PS4 will have an inferior version of the game, lacking features that everyone else has access to and is alone on an island competing against a vastly larger player base that is playing together regardless of platform.

Why wouldn't the PS4 Minecraft start to shrink?

yeah, I feel like in the end this will backfire on MS/Minecraft. Peeps aren't gonna blame Sony for MS knowingly leaving the PS fanbase in the dust... especially since crossplay was never a given.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't get this thread.

The title specifically stated "Do you want crossplay on PS4? Make your voices be heard.", and yet it seems like there are so many in here that do not want or do not care about crossplay on PS4 and they are busy trying to make their voices to be heard.

Like, if you don't want crossplay on PS4 or don't care, wouldn't not clicking on this thread and move on to something else a more prudent and adult thing to do? Since this thread has basically nothing to do with you then.

mrg6290

I would rather they spend the time money and effort in exclusives.

In the case of Rocket League, it would require Sony zero time money and effort. Psyonix could do it right away if Sony would allow it. Maybe someone would have to update some ToS, but that's about it.

statham

yeah, I feel like in the end this will backfire on MS/Minecraft. Peeps aren't gonna blame Sony for MS knowingly leaving the PS fanbase in the dust... especially since crossplay was never a given.
Um, ms wants this on sony, its sony saying no.

onanie

It doesn't require any money or effort at all. Psyonix made it clear all they have to do is check a box and it'll happen within an hour.

Sony just won't let them.

Sony will need to consider the requirement for psn players to create an account on a competitor's network
for this to happen.

Cerium

Sony will need to consider the requirement for psn players to create an account on a competitor's network
for this to happen.

Why would you come into a 22 page thread and post wrong things without reading any of it?

I'm genuinely curious.

edit: Nevermind just checked your post history and it's full of shit. Wow.

Rayderism

I don't game online, but I do see the benefits of cross-play for anyone that does enjoy gaming online, so I would say yes to crossplay, even if I would never use it myself. Sony's excuse for not allowing it sounds like baloney. I believe there is some other reason they don't want to allow it that they don't want us knowing about.

If I had to guess, it's that they don't want the "other guys" to get any idea of how antiquated PSN's backend might actually be. Or maybe Sony is so terrified of hackers that they fear crossplay may open up exploits that would ultimately be blamed on them.

I mean, come one! "To protect the children" is Nintendo's shtick, and they're allowing it.

PSOreo

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong (I literally don't know the first thing about how networking works) but maybe the reason Sony doesn't want to allow crossplay is because they've been so vulnerable to DNS attacks/hackers in the past and probably don't want to open the net wider to other company's networks.

I'm personally not that bothered about crossplay other than it might mean more players help keep otherwise dead games alive online.

statham

I just want Garden warfare to crossplay. I think it would be much fun taking xbox zombies against sony plants. That screams fun to me.

mrg6290

It wasn't super clear, so no worries. But we were talking the Psyonix (Rocket League developer) case since there is little reason Sony shouldnt support it.

For Minecraft, if the XBL or external accounts is the issue, they should say that. It doesn't appear to be the case since they have allowed UPlay, EA login, etc.

xaosslug

Um, ms wants this on sony, its sony saying no.

you can't say "oh, we have this update for you... but you have to agree to something you never expected to agree to... sign here!" LMAO, good luck trying to sell that to the kids and casuals playing the game now.

"but... we never played with PC/XBOX/Switch players b4... why can't we have the update w/o that??"

etc.

onanie

It wasn't super clear, so no worries. But we were talking the Psyonix (Rocket League developer) case since there is little reason Sony shouldnt support it.

For Minecraft, if the XBL or external accounts is the issue, they should say that. It doesn't appear to be the case since they have allowed UPlay, EA login, etc.

For Minecraft, I imagine Sony perceives XBL to be a direct competitor to PSN. UPlay and EA are pure third party publishers.

As for rocket, I am unaware of matchmaking issues on the PSN side. If people were experiencing matching problems on another platform, I am sure Sony would rather encourage them to jump over to PSN, which has a comparative advantage in playerbase compared to other consoles.

mrg6290

you can't say "oh, we have this update for you... but you have to agree to something you never expected to agree to... sign here!" LMAO, good luck trying to sell that to the kids and casuals playing the game now.

"but... we never played with PC/XBOX/Switch players b4... why can't we have the update w/o that??"

etc.

It's easy for Microsoft/Mojang to explain that the new updates enable the single online platform. One new service, many clients. Sony is blocking access to that new service, so the platform cannot get the associated feature updates.

If MS/Mojang do anything like the above, I feel it's more realistic that "kids and casuals" asks Sony why they are blocking vs asking Mojang why they can't also keep updating the older service. But hey, we're all just speculating.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The One and Done™;241495659 said:
I don't see how this is a big deal either way tbh. If it doesn't fundamentally change the experience it's irrelevant.

It does change the experience, as it allows you to continue your game on any platforms in various forms. You can play the same game with the same data on a PC in your room, PS4 in your living room, Switch/mobile on the go and Xbox in your friend's house.

Dunkley

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong (I literally don't know the first thing about how networking works) but maybe the reason Sony doesn't want to allow crossplay is because they've been so vulnerable to DNS attacks/hackers in the past and probably don't want to open the net wider to other company's networks.

I'm personally not that bothered about crossplay other than it might mean more players help keep otherwise dead games alive online.

I've heard that point made before and it's not a unreasonable to think of it this way, but I think that argument largely falls flat when considering that the Playstation 4 does already have titles cross-playing with the PC which definitely would be a bigger threat for potential network vulnerabilities than an Xbox One or a Nintendo Switch would be.

CookTrain

It does change the experience, as it allows you to continue your game on any platforms in various forms. You can play the same game with the same data on a PC in your room, PS4 in your living room, Switch/mobile on the go and Xbox in your friend's house.

That's the one aspect of it that doesn't really get much prominence. Portability of your experience to every platform you own without worrying about which walled garden you in is a delicious concept.

Top Bottom