• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually answer the door? Do you answer it blind?

Nahh, unless it's something I'm waiting for or someone then sure. Don't want to deal with human beings tbh. Rather stay out of the way of them. Just not a people person. Never have been. Same with unknown numbers. If it's that important, leave a voicemail and I'll get back to you.

Unless I'm expecting, I look out the window for a mail truck or something and if I don't see one I ignore it. If it's important they'll ring again or leave a note.

LegoArmo

I don't answer the door or phone unless I'm expecting something/someone.

I have crippling anxiety. I also don't like opening my mail.

Catdaddy

When I was a kid in the 70s/80s my dad never answered the door. Not for danger, cause he didnt want to deal with whoever was wanting something. I continue that tradition...

With one aside... when we built our house back in 2004, heard a knock - did a peek and the person who knocked on the door moved about 20 feet back from the door into my yard... I answered out of sheer curiosity... it was a pest control salesperson...I asked why are you in the middle of my yard, he said its what he's instructed to do.. I said no than thanks and shut the door... since then I ignore uninvited knocks... Its not because of fear, its because I'm not buying shit from someone knocking on the door..

but then I played Fallout 4....nah fuck it....still not answering

KarmaCow

I don't open the door or answer the phone for numbers or people I don't recognize/expect for the same reason: it's almost always a scammer.

DrSlek

I do. My door has no peep hole, and apart from my dero neighbour anybody knocking here is harmless.

Edit: oh and thanks to a "do not knock" sign, I never get salespeople. A law in Australia gives a $50k fine for ignoring those signs.

ZOONAMI

Yeah I don't have a peephole, so I usually do. It's usually a package or a neighbor asking about something.

If it's after dark I'm not going to answer though if I'm not expecting anyone.

No unless its delivery. If you have a purpose at my house you either live here or know someone who does and you'll let them know ahead of time you're here

Outside my initial reaction to hearing a knock (I'm extremely jumpy and almost any unexpected noise/action causes me to be startled) I always go to the door and look through the peep hole. If it's someone I know or a postal worker I always answer it, if it's someone I don't know I'll open the door just a little to see what they may want.

MisterNoisy

It's these goddamn manners, man. Seriously. I don't have the heart to slam a door in the face of some kid in business school trying to upgrade my how security system.

Just tell them you gave at the office and close it. No need to let those parasites waste more of your day.

If someone buzzes my intercom and I'm not expecting someone, I do nothing.

If someone knocks on my door, 90% of the time it's BS like pest inspectors and smoke detector inspections, so I usually let them in, unless I'm in bed. They have keys and just let their own damn selves in anyway.

Yes. It's usually a confused pizza guy. One time recently, it was a very lost male prostitute. Know what it's never, ever been? Anything to be paralyzed by fear over.

Future

Who the fuck doesn't answer the door. Wtf is this

Sure, depending on who you see in the peep hold you may not open the door. But people here are saying they hear knocking and don't even look?

nbraun80

Because opening the door to look at someone is more effective than looking through a "peephole."
I mean realistically you are being more rude by slamming the door in their face then the guy looking through the peephole and just going back to what he was doing.

It's these goddamn manners, man. Seriously. I don't have the heart to slam a door in the face of some kid in business school trying to upgrade my how security system.

But you have the heart and manners to ignore him knocking away at your door, standing there all by himself?
(I know you were kidding, but still)

I mean realistically you are being more rude by slamming the door in their face then the guy looking through the peephole and just going back to what he was doing.

Possibly. But then, the thread wasn't about how to avoid being rude - it was about answering the door.

Seirith

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If my husband is at work and it is not a delivery or a neighbor I don't answer the door.

Prior to moving I was home alone and a normally dressed man (is no businees uniform) knocked on my door. There was no car or delivery truck in the driveway. After not answering he proceeded to go around and look in all the lower windows which did not have shades pulled. I went upstairs and called the police but by the time they got there he had left. Now I do not answer if I don't know who is knocking

hao chi

I always check the peephole even if I'm expecting a friend, though if I know it's a friend I'm mainly checking to see what they do as they wait for me to answer. I don't answer if it's a stranger after it's dark out though.

nbraun80

Possibly. But then, the thread wasn't about how to avoid being rude - it was about answering the door.
No this thread turned into anyone not answering their door to random people is living in fear and has a physiological disorder. Fact of the matter is most of my job is talking to random people, and I like it, but sometimes I answer the door, sometimes I don't, it's really not that big of a deal.

Of course I answer my door if someone knocks. I also leave my screen locked until I know who that person is.

This digital age where people think Facebook is making friends and texting is all you need to have a healthy and active social life is going to make the futures of our children and our childrens children lonely and short.

TaterTots

Banned
At one point in time, people left their doors unlocked. Now, people do not even want to answer a knock. We're becoming really reclusive and I believe that is due to technology. We'd rather stare at our phones and communicate via texts to the point some are terrified to answer a door.

What I'm trying to convey, is that I believe social media and technology is creating a lot of social anxiety. "OMG, someone is knocking at my door. Why wouldn't they just text me? This has to be a bad situation." etc.

Chris1

Nope unless I'm expecting someone.

Most of the time it's people trying to sell you junk, jehovah witnesses or some other crap. I see no point opening the door unless you're expecting it, if our neighbours want us or anything they usually just shout from their gardens and we can hear or they wouldn't come to the door anyways and just catch you outside. If they're a relative they'll just pull the handle down and walk in.The only people that would chap the letterbox if we weren't expecting it is someone we wouldn't want to answer the door to anyways.

Seirith

Geez this thread.

I guess some people are just so antisocial they know no one will actually legitimately go to see them?

I am not antosocial. If you want to see me call or text before you stop. I was rasied to never just show up at someones house uninvited or without telling them first. Its rude IMO.

Seirith

At one point in time, people left their doors unlocked. Now, people do not even want to answer a knock. We're becoming really reclusive and I believe that is due to technology. We'd rather stare at our phones and communicate via texts to the point some are terrified to answer a door.

What I'm trying to convey, is that I believe social media and technology is creating a lot of social anxiety. "OMG, someone is knocking at my door. Why wouldn't they just text me? This has to be a bad situation." etc.

I have never known anyone who doesn't lock their doors. My parents always locked the doors and taught us to lock the doors as well. Mine are locked 24/7. I spend 9 hours a day home alone while husband is at work...why would I answer the door to someone I don't know while I am home alone? I look out the window to see if it is a delivery or someone I know, if not door does not get answered.

It has nothing to do with technology at all. Sad fact is while most people are fine, some are not.

Cilla

I look from the top floor before answering because I have social anxiety and want to be prepared. I do still answer it though unless it's religious door knockers.

low-G

Wtf why are so many of you rude about answering the door?!

During the daytime I generally do, usually looking through the peephole first. 99% of the time it's either a friend we were expecting, or UPS/FedEx/Amazon delivery guy.

Nothing that requires answering the door has ever unexpectedly occurred for me, and most of us. Friends don't just drop in on us, ever. I did that a few times in the past and my friends thought that was rude.

Top Bottom