• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually answer the door? Do you answer it blind?

Galang

Banned
Even if I did live in a "good" neighbourhood I legit would never unless I'm expecting someone beforehand. People be crazy. You can say it's paranoia, but whatever.

Boylamite

I have a ring doorbell so I ignore the doorbell unless It's a delivery or if it's someone I know. 99% of the time it's some rando wanting money, or some religious nonsense.

emag

99% of the time there's an unscheduled knock/ring, it's a package delivery person (who isn't actually waiting for me to open the door, just letting me know a package has been left outside) or someone trying to sell me something, despite our neighborhood having a "no soliciting" policy and signs to that effect. The last time I opened the door it was a scammer who claimed to be fundraising for the local high school (I gave him $20 anyway for a years-old coupon book).

Maybe I should get a camera. With a peephole, it's too obvious you're home.

*door is knocked*

Step 1. Turn down volume of TV.
Step 2. Stop moving around so that you don't make any accidental noises.
Step 3. Stay away from windows in case they decide to see if someone's home.
Step 4. ???
Step 5. goodbye realworld.png.

This is like 90% if GAF judging from all these threads.

slider

When I had a door people could get to easily (now they'd have to trudge up my drive if the gate was open), sure I'd answer it. I mean, erm... It seems like the logical thing to do.

blakep267

That sounds sad to me. I'm sure neighbors would like to get to know each other, at least knowing their name and some details. Hi, bye, etc.
I know my neighbors names. I don't want to talk to them. Ok say hi if Insee then while leaving the house but that's it. I have no need for some fake suburban experience where o walk through and greet every single person by name and ask how the kids are doing

I always look out a window to see who it is. If I don't know them, and they aren't wearing a uniform/carrying a package, I pretend I'm not there. Judge me, I don't care.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So sad that so many people do not answer their doors... really says something.

I always answer mine. Hell I leave the door unlocked when I am home most of the time too.

Maybe depends where you live I guess.

Someone maybe knocks on my door that is not "expected" about 5-6 times a year though, so not often. And almost exclusively it is some church group, or Comcast.

*door is knocked*

Step 4. ???

I don't know if you're joking or not but you've just described me perfectly. You need to keep the blinds or curtains closed though so it looks like you're out.

Eylos

Banned
I remember once, my neighbor forgot the keys at the front Door It was 1:30am. I knocked the Door and waked him, he answered the Door, i showed him the Key at the Door, he appreciated.

jrcbandit

This is such a weird question, why wouldn't you answer the door? If it is after 10 PM, then I would be wary, but before that why the hell wouldn't you unless you are trying to avoid process servers...

Someone needs to make a "X while black" equivalent of gaffers failing at being normal people because these threads are getting insane.

Off the top of my head I got:
Gaffers paranoid about answering their door
Gaffers not showering
Gaffers not seeing a point in making your bed every morning
Gaffers having issues with their friends and not sure how to go about it so they make a thread when just talking to the friend can resolve the issue
Gaffer confused on how to deal with a neighbour walking naked
Gaffer unsure on how to ask for compensation when a waitress spills hot soup on them

I wonder what the full list would look like.

I don't make my bed but that is because my bed is up in a loft that I only go up to for sleep and is only accessible by a steep ladder, ie, no one goes up there and it isn't visible from the ground floor where my office is...

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
The trick is to use headphones instead of a sound system/speakers. That way you can a) play videogames/watch anime silently so as to not betray your presence, and b) feign ignorance of the doorbell.

riotous

Banned
The vast majority of knocks on my door are from semi-shady people selling magazine subscriptions for "charity" or other random solicitations. We have a no soliting sign clearly visible on the door but it gets ignored. I think I've had a neighbor legit knock on my door or someone I knew maybe twice in 10 years (before that mostly lived in apartments that were secured and had only interior door access, so always answered as it was usually a neighbor.)

I do answer some of the time, but if I don't feel like it I won't. Not sure why that concept is so shocking to some GAFfers; sometimes I'm playing a game that I can't pause, sometimes I'm working from home and trying to concentrate, and sometimes I just don't care enough to deal with whoever it is.

Lot of door opening elitism in this thread I see. I wish I could be as cool as you door openers. I bet you people answer your phones too.

hides

Nivash

Yes, I open the damn door. Good grief! There's tons of potential reasons someone might randomly knock on my door, and seeing how it basically never happens it's probably a good one. The neighbor could be having a heart attack for all I know, and dying on my doorstep. The building could be on fire. Maybe someone new moved in and - like a normal person - might want to introduce themselves. Maybe I'm making noise and not realising it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm really surprised by the answers. Who doesn't answer their door??

The same people that think they need a gun for 'home defense'.
It's an entire culture living in straight fear of their fellow man. Someone knocking on their door makes them immediately jump to thoughts of home invasion and criminals. It's absurd.

At least, it's absurd in most countries.

ViviOggi

What's going on in this thr-

guy-opening-door.gif

terrible

Banned
Lol only time I definitely don't answer is during Halloween if I'm home. My lights are off you little fuckers, ain't got no candy for you. It'd be too tedious to answer every time.

I'll sometimes not bother answering the door if I'm cooking or whatever but if I'm not busy why not? Takes 30 seconds to say I'm not interested if someone is trying to sell something.

I do not answer the phone if I don't know the number though since it's guaranteed to just be a waste of time or a scam.

riotous

Banned
Yes, I open the damn door. Good grief! There's tons of potential reasons someone might randomly knock on my door, and seeing how it basically never happens it's probably a good one.

I get knocks on my door at least once a week; and over the last 10 years as I said it was a neighbor twice. Neither time was it anything urgent either. Maybe not everyone lives in the same kind of place as you.

Yeah, I agree. I think I opened the door 3 times for people in the past year (Amazon and expected guests aside) and I've regretted it each time. I'm always inappropriately dressed, I have to calm my dog down and the marketers launch right into their speech without asking if I'm actually interested and I'm too timid to interrupt them.

Not that I blame them. When I was 16, I had a job as a door-to-door marketer as I needed a job and that commission. We knocked on doors until 10 o clock on weekdays though, which was kinda fucked.

blakep267

Earlier today I saw a guy knocking on my neighbors door(from my bedroom window). They weren't home. He then came to my house and knocked. I could clearly see that he was holding a Comcast clipboard in his hand. Am I a bad person for not answering the door when I already know what he wants?

Nivash

I get knocks on my door at least once a week; and over the last 10 years as I said it was a neighbor twice. Neither time was it anything urgent either. Maybe not everyone lives in the same kind of place as you.

Evidently not. I live in Sweden. We treat any kind of interaction with strangers as a last resort - most of my neighbors might actually prefer death by heart attack over having to knock. Solicitors and other "undesirables" are kept at bay by the front door, through which none shall pass into the lobby.

You society sounds like hell.

I answered the door for a total stranger the other day. It was my new neighbor I found out, and I helped him mount his TV on his wall. Got to meet his cute kids, too.

Is there anyone who actually feels calm about somebody knocking on their door? Stop knocking on my door. You're up to no good by knocking on my door.

I refuse to believe anybody feels calm when they hear the door knock. Do you answer the door blind?

Got a chain on the door. Not opening the door all the way to randoms.

The doorbell is my signal to lay low.

I don't but that's mostly because my mom has a crazy stalker.

I immediately turn all lights and music off and hide under my desk

I used to until I saw the movie Unbreakable.

*door is knocked*

Step 4. ???

I was joking before, but if I lived in America I'd be tempted to be one of those guys with guns hidden all over the house just in case.

I grew up in a house where my mother's first response to a doorbell was to shush me and my sister, then stealthily move to another room where she could peek through the curtains and see who was at the door. If she recognized the person standing there, she answered the door; if she didn't, then we were to remain silent until that person left.

So as an adult I tend to do the same.

I grew up in the inner city where you were told to open the door to people you know and not strangers, so of course I don't open the door to random people. It's that fear from a child to an adult that makes me not open the door and also watching the news and seeing people opening to strangers and getting a bullet to their head. Fuck that. I always check to see who it is and if I don't know you, keep on moving.

My crippling social anxiety prevents me from opening the door unless I'm expecting someone. So I'll just ignore it.

A knock on the door is so stressful, tbh. One time had a dude knock and ask to buy drugs. The next week he robbed our neighbor's place. Hell, when I lived in the dorms at college I had a guy walk into my room thinking it was his. Always lock the door, don't answer that shit until you've peeked outside. If I'm expecting someone they text me before they knock.

Unless it's for a delivery that I know is arriving, I never answer the door. I'll go upstairs and scope out the window to see who it is; but even if I recognise them, the chances are I won't answer it. It's bound to be some ball-ache that I can do without. lol.

I normally rush upstairs and hope they don't hear/see me and try to come in. I have no interest in you if I'm not expecting you, don't knock on my door.

I always answer and I keep a baseball bat clearly visible from the outside in case someone trys to do something.

Even if I did live in a "good" neighbourhood I legit would never unless I'm expecting someone beforehand. People be crazy. You can say it's paranoia, but whatever.

I always look out a window to see who it is. If I don't know them, and they aren't wearing a uniform/carrying a package, I pretend I'm not there. Judge me, I don't care.

I don't know if you're joking or not but you've just described me perfectly. You need to keep the blinds or curtains closed though so it looks like you're out.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yes...? The hell kind of question is that? What are doorbells for if not for someone to announce their arrival to my home?

Because 99% of the time it's an aggressive sales rep or a thief

riotous

Banned
Evidently not. I live in Sweden. We treat any kind of interaction with strangers as a last resort - most of my neighbors might actually prefer death by heart attack over having to knock. Solicitors and other "undesirables" are kept at bay by the front door, through which none shall pass into the lobby.

There are drug addicts, homeless people and prostitutes regularly hanging out/wandering around a few blocks from my house. It's not really a bad neighborhood, but it's the reality of living near a major highway that has 24 hour public transit into an urban center in the US. Although Seattle has a particularly bad homeless/drug problem, partly due to the fact people are generous with panhandlers. (many make 30k+ a year and aren't homeless, but are still qutie sketchy)

Woah. That doesn't sound all that great either. I'm not one to go out seeking interactions with strangers, but when I do have them it's usually always positive. Having a cheery little interaction really can brighten your day.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm not a crazy person. So yes, of course I answer the door.

Just remove the lock, or when in a 2nd world country go on any taxi claiming to be a taxi and don't lock the doors while doing selfies. Just trust people, don't be a crazy person!

Poster#1

The same people that think they need a gun for 'home defense'.
It's an entire culture living in straight fear of their fellow man. Someone knocking on their door makes them immediately jump to thoughts of home invasion and criminals. It's absurd.

At least, it's absurd in most countries.

It's crazy to me living in a constant fear in my damn home. I actually kinda feel sad for them.

Nivash

Woah. That doesn't sound all that great either. I'm not one to go out seeking interactions with strangers, but when I do have them it's usually always positive. Having a cheery little interaction really can brighten your day.

g2DQgr5.jpg

Sometimes, I wonder if the reason we came up with a comprehensive social security network was to outsource helping each other to the kind of faceless government agency we're so much more comfortable with.

Just in case someone thinks I'm being literal, this is mostly hyperbole. But any Swede will tell you that the tendency is definitely there.

Top Bottom