• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump signs vague, pro-cop executive orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

necrosis

Already happens, but might conflict with some state laws like marijuana legislation.

A lot of it is purposely vague wording that could mean anything or doesn't mean anything

this is interesting to me as a washingtonian

it reads as though the feds might attempt to tighten down on states that have legalized the sale & use of marijuana

sangreal

this is interesting to me as a washingtonian

it reads as though the feds are going to attempt to tighten down on states that have legalized the sale & use of marijuana

I'm not sure I am seeing that in these EOs but it is coming regardless

As a U.S. Attorney in Alabama in the 1980s, Sessions said he thought the KKK "were OK until I found out they smoked pot.” In April, he said, “Good people don't smoke marijuana,” and that it was a "very real danger" that is “not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized.” Sessions, who turns 70 on Christmas Eve, has called marijuana reform a "tragic mistake" and criticized FBI Director James Comey and Attorneys General Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch for not vigorously enforcing a the federal prohibition that President Obama has called “untenable over the long term.” In a floor speech earlier this year, Senator Sessions said: "You can’t have the President of the United States of America talking about marijuana like it is no different than taking a drink… It is different….It is already causing a disturbance in the states that have made it legal.”

dh4niel

Judge-Dredd-19b.jpg

SOON

He is going to ban body cam video and making filming police a crime isn't he? Man, if there is a time to constantly record cops its now. Scary times.

Yup, he'll probably get away with it if he claims its a fourth amendment thing. Quoting the constitution gives GOP legislators massive boners.

Jeels

Vague as fuck and will lead to confusion just like the Muslim ban. I fear this time people will get hurt/die though as everyone figures out just what any of it means in practice.

IMO, already the worst president in my lifetime.

They won't get a cent if this pertains to black people.

Huh? Black people, white people, and other minorities don't donate to the ACLU if it pertains to black people...?

Ri'Orius

“We need to end this lawlessness that threatens the public safety and pulls down the wages of working Americans,” he said.

This is how you stay on message. Just tie anything and everything back to one point, logic or facts be dammed.

"We're doing X, Y and Z because something something middle class MAGA Knibb High football rules!"

Ekai

Vague as fuck and will lead to confusion just like the Muslim ban. I fear this time people will get hurt/die though as everyone figures out just what any of it means in practice.

IMO, already the worst president in my lifetime.

The worst president of all time. The worst leader of any modern nation. The worst leader of any civilization of all time. The worst period.

This is how you stay on message. Just tie anything and everything back to one point, logic or facts be dammed.

"We're doing X, Y and Z because something something middle class MAGA Knibb High football rules!"

Well, Knibb High football does rule....maybe they have a point?

These orders will definitely embolden the "bad dudes" in law enforcement but reading them it doesn't seem like they actually do anything. Seems like it's just lip service to say "I support police." and further the lie that there is a war on police, #BlueLivesMatter, etc.

Ithil

Is there a single subject they don't try to tie to "JOBS!!!"?

"We're ordering dumping of toxic waste into Yellowstone, which will encourage AMERICAN JOBS in some form".

Cipherr

Problem is, there are police out there that already think that you're guilty if you're black/brown.

It's a waste to say that though, since you already knew that.

He knows that. Thats his way of saying 'fuck you' to the minorities that get fucked over and killed by overreaching asshole cops. He can't come right out and say because he would be banned, but trust... there it is.

Nintenleo

Attacks on the press, lies, statements against minorities, nationalism and more power to the police.

This isn't even "alternative right", let's call the thing for what it is. This is pure fascism. American friends, stay safe. Trump could even remove your right to vote and his supporters would be happy about it.

gcubed

well... if they keep telling everyone crime is the highest its been in 40 years... then start telling the truth in a few months, can you imagine how successful Trump and co have been?

jmdajr

I just read Presidential Executive Order on Preventing Violence Against Federal, State, Tribal, and Local Law Enforcement Officers twice and have absolutely no idea what it changes. "Develop strategies".. OK? What's the purpose of this EO?

Seems like incredibly fluffy bullshit that doesn't change anything and was designed for people to pat Trump on the back.

If you kill a police officer it's already a capital offense. What else can you add to it? Bring back public execution?

Yes. It's been dropping since the '90s, almost certainly due to de-leading gasoline and not giving future generations brain damage because of it.

(This is the reason why kids born in the '90s+ don't have context for the early '90s crime bill.)

Just read up on this... holy shit. Can't believe I'm only hearing of this now. Seems almost certain indeed. Makes you wonder what other substances might be imperceptibly tearing away at society.

Cyan

Banned
So all of these seem to boil down to "let's form a committee and figure out what to do guys!" Am I missing something more sinister?

Looks like I'm staying my black ass inside and playing Yakuza, Gravity Rush, and Nier (next month). I haven't felt this depressed about life since middle school.

Are you telling me that massive surge of donations after the Muslim ban happened, and the record level donations they've been getting since Trump took office isn't real?

What he's saying is that the muslim ban affects white entrepreneurs and so they're going to make a fuss about this. However white people tend to not live in areas where there's much crime (this isn't actually true, but many believe it to be) and therefore won't care about this.

These EOs are so fucking vague. The real message is loud and clear: "We're going to fuck with you. We're going to take every possible opportunity to put a boot on your neck. And if you say a word, we'll trump up even bigger charges against you so that your life is effectively ruined. Drive safe."

Fuck these goons.

If you're joking, I apologize for taking this seriously.

If you're not, this is embarrassingly tone-deaf and uninformed. Less than a month ago, the Justice Department released findings of continued constitutional violations by the Chicago Police Department. They are not alone in this. Similar findings are available for the Baltimore PD, as well as the Ferguson PD. The bullshit harassment enforced by the LAPD is legendary. This is not an isolated incident. The police are corrupt. Period. There is no intellectually honest argument to be had.

Again, if you're joking, I apologize, but I find (sincere) statements like that really frustrating.
He knows this already. They know it already. They just. dont. care.

ezekial45

Banned
So all of these seem to boil down to "let's form a committee and figure out what to do guys!" Am I missing something more sinister?
This is more about what they plan to do next, especially given that this is their outlook. Yes, these are vague EO's, but there should be concern about how they plan on proceeding from here.

kswiston

I thought Republicans were for small government...

Republicans are never for small government. Small government is just something that's bandied about to distract the middle class as they pillage the country and set legislature for their own benefit.

At least the current state of the Republican party seems to be operating that way. If it comes to helping out the business interests of friends and campaign contributors, the pocket book is open. Ditto for enforcing ideology. Social services? You are on your own.

He is going to ban body cam video and making filming police a crime isn't he? Man, if there is a time to constantly record cops its now. Scary times.

That was my take on it. The "attacks" against police aren't physical, they are people sharing videos of the polices' behavior on facebook.

Ithil

I thought Republicans were for small government...

That's just a marketing term they trot out whenever a democrat enacts something they don't like. They are for authoritarian dictatorships where they make loads of money forever

Shadybiz

No that's about right. I'm sure the requests will be something along the lines of "We need more rocket launchers and attack choppers and tanks and shit." The response will be "Okay you make a good case, just be sure to only use them in neighborhoods that are populated mainly by minorities, okay??"

I've seen some friends and friends of friends say that if people don't want to die, they shouldn't resist arrest. They think resisting arrest is a death sentence.

Pedrito

No mention of his line about breaking the back of the criminal cartels that have spread across our nation and are "destroying the blood of our youth”?

Cyframe

What he's saying is that the muslim ban affects white entrepreneurs and so they're going to make a fuss about this. However white people tend to not live in areas where there's much crime (this isn't actually true, but many believe it to be) and therefore won't care about this.

This. And I'm not going to compare apple's to oranges, but the response to this EO, unfortunately, will be rather muted.

Most responders to this will say "Great. Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time" grossly missing the point of everything.

There's a reason why private prison stocks rose when Trump came into office.

Surfinn

The only thing I can think of is for this type of shit to be purposefully vague so Trump does something unconstitutional and can say HEY remember those incredibly vague orders? There you go! We're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom