• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump signs vague, pro-cop executive orders

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol at my google search

barack-obama-police-state.jpg

That'd be a dope picture if obama was looking directly forward.

wildfire

Banned
This reads less as an executive order because it doesn't tell people what they can't or can do and more like a Royal Decree because he's creating a goal for future action and that everyone must work towards this vague goal.

Sulik2

And this is the really scary one. Starting to invest more power into local police and earning their loyalty directly to him and not any other branch of government.

theWB27

Dems can't lay out a bill that would counter some illegal ish? I know it would get shot down but id like to see how the reps would react to a bill that protected minorities from increased scrutiny.

There HAS to be accountability for brazenly lying in bad faith in order to hold onto power and pass laws. There has to. These motherfuckers are breaking our democracy.

Crime is not continually fucking rising. They're openly, intentionally lying about the state of the country.

The scary thing is that there is no one left to hold them accountable. Lawmakers won't. Republicans obviously share the crime ridden fantasy worldview but there should be a booming reply from Dems that this is all lies. Doesn't seem there is that reply though. Most Sheriffs and police chiefs want more power and they are also lying about crime and the "war on police." The people won't hold them accountable because a majority want this and their fear and ignorance is being used to prop up these lies. This environment has been carefully crafted by the right wing and it is working. If facts aren't going to change these people minds and they are a majority then there really is no hope of keeping the country together.

There HAS to be accountability for brazenly lying in bad faith in order to hold onto power and pass laws. There has to. These motherfuckers are breaking our democracy.

Crime is not continually fucking rising. They're openly, intentionally lying about the state of the country.

The scary thing is that there is no one left to hold them accountable. Lawmakers won't. Republicans obviously share the crime ridden fantasy worldview but there should be a booming reply from Dems that this is all lies. Doesn't seem there is that reply though. Most Sheriffs and police chiefs want more power and they are also lying about crime and the "war on police." The people won't hold them accountable because a majority want this and their fear and ignorance is being used to prop up these lies. This environment has been carefully crafted by the right wing and it is working. If facts aren't going to change these people minds and they are a majority then there really is no hope of keeping the country together.

At this point, I won't feel bad if some kind of war towards them breaks out (such as a civil war), because they're asking for this. They truly are.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The scary thing is that there is no one left to hold them accountable. Lawmakers won't. Republicans obviously share the crime ridden fantasy worldview but there should be a booming reply from Dems that this is all lies. Doesn't seem there is that reply though. Most Sheriffs and police chiefs want more power and they are also lying about crime and the "war on police." The people won't hold them accountable because a majority want this.

Yeah I was watching that fragment of the Sessions speech and it was scary how they're just straight up lying about these important issues... and getting away with it. These things happening every day are historic (but in the worst way possible).

Executive Order on Preventing Violence Against Federal, State, Tribal, and Local Law Enforcement Officers

I may be being cynical but this sounds like laws around protecting police when they use deadly force against individuals when they feel 'threatened'

Can only begin to imagine the implications if that's the case.

ICO_SotC

Says it all that they get to make shit up to justify these laws, and there's nothing to stop them.

There won't be a single damn reporter who will ask: "Why are you lying about crime statistics?"

(c) pursue appropriate legislation, consistent with the Constitution's regime of limited and enumerated Federal powers, that will define new Federal crimes, and increase penalties for existing Federal crimes, in order to prevent violence against Federal, State, tribal, and local law enforcement officers.;

Aka, Federal "Blue Lives Matters" laws.

Get ready for a minorities to be charged with "hate crimes" against police officers for any reason, and then those statistics will be cited anytime a police officer clearly violates a minority person's civil rights, in order make the police officers actions seemed justified.

"It's understandable that the cop was afraid of that black guy, look at these hate crime statistics against cops by black people!"

The beginnings of the American secret police and gestapo. Next thing he will sign an order making it a crime to not rat out your neighbors for petty crimes.

As someone who was young and black living in NYC when Giuliani was mayor I already know what Trump's vision for American police is going to be. Telling brown people to "be safe" is going to be a waste of time.

tbm24

As someone who was young and black living in NYC when Giuliani was mayor I already know what Trump's vision for American police is going to be. Telling brown people to "be safe" is going to be a waste of time.
Pretty much, as sad as it may seem to some, I hold hope that my coming daughter looks more like my wife than myself in the melanin department. Just less for me to worry about later.

ICO_SotC

Yes. Innocent minorities having their civil rights violated en masse while a lot of white people go, "But he cleaned up Times Square!"

It wasn't until the city got in such shit financial shape becuase of all the lawsuits from violating people's civil rights that he had to leave the NYPD and FDNY without contracts that white people finally started abandoning him and his approval rating started dropping into the 30s.

Yes. Innocent minorities having their civil rights violated en masse while a lot of white people go, "But he cleaned up Times Square!"

It wasn't until the city got in such shit financial shape becuase of all the lawsuits from violating people's civil rights that he had to leave the NYPD and FDNY without contracts that white people finally started abandoning him and his approval rating started dropping into the 30s.

I mentioned this anecdotally in another thread but my mother has a close friend who received a multi-million dollar settlement from the city/NYPD because he was shot in the back of the head (and survived obviously) while sitting in his car at a red light by the police. The reason? The cops were trying to shoot at a kid who was fleeing on a bike he apparently stole.

So everyone should remember when Trump promised his supporters that he would cover their legal fees if they beat up protesters at his rallies and just imagine that on a national scale and applied to law enforcement. The police will know that no matter the atrocity they commit, a presidential pardon will be waiting for them on the off chance that they actually get convicted of anything.

Socivol

I mentioned this anecdotally in another thread but my mother has a close friend who received a multi-million dollar settlement from the city/NYPD because he was shot in the back of the head (and survived obviously) while sitting in his car at a red light by the police. The reason? The cops were trying to shoot at a kid who was fleeing on a bike he apparently stole.

So everyone should remember when Trump promised his supporters that he would cover their legal fees if they beat up protesters at his rallies and just imagine that on a national scale and applied to law enforcement. The police will know that no matter the atrocity they commit, a presidential pardon will be waiting for them on the off chance that they actually get convicted of anything.

The city of Chicago has paid out a half billion dollars over the past 10 years to cover police brutality suits and those same cops are often still on the force. It's insane that they can cost their employer and tax payers millions of dollars and still have a job.

Kevyt

How long do we have until anyone who opposes Trump is arrested and deemed as a threat to the union?

Seriously... How long?

The Mule

Are any USA citizens starting to seriously think of fleeing the country before shit gets any worse? I'd be scared of living there right now.

At least the BBC news (NPR didn't have the guts) included that the small spike in crime stats still means that crime is at a historic low, which is completely the opposite scenario painted by sessions. This in the hourly news, not an opinion piece.

Sessions says the little tick upward is the start of a huge trend that requires clamping down on immediately.

The city of Chicago has paid out a half billion dollars over the past 10 years to cover police brutality suits and those same cops are often still on the force. It's insane that they can cost their employer and tax payers millions of dollars and still have a job.

One of the primary things that I learned during Giuliani's reign of terror was that white New Yorkers were perfectly fine with what was happening to their brown neighbors as long as it meant that a Disney Store could be opened on 42nd St. I really don't have strong hopes in Americans as a whole rallying to stop what's surely coming if they didn't do that in one of the most liberal cities in the world.

I know how a lot of people felt about Bloomberg and the damage that he did to lower income residents in NYC but I give him credit that the very first shooting of an unarmed black man that happened during his tenure he shut that shit down and sent a strong message to the NYPD that the days when the mayor gave them a firm handshake and pat on the back for committing murders were over.

What's up with NPR being giant wimps about Trump and his admin?

You can immediately tell the difference in vibe from the shows they don't produce, like the aforementioned BBC News Service, or WNYC's On The Media.
Wondered that for a while, they seem to have first been beaten up with #bothsides poison (no judgement on truth just equal time) and with the dems still in shock, one "side" is now missing.

First you create an enemy
Then you claim only you have the truth
Next, you blame them for the societies ills
Then, you pass legislation to combat this menace
Lastly, you use those laws to consolidate your power.

Never forget. There were countless asshats like him telling millions of people across the country that Clinton and Trump were the same.

This was still during the primaries correct? I write off most stuff said during that time since people just want their candidate to get picked. It was in the general election where if people showed their ass there would be literally zero reward and just all risk.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Does this actually do anything other than making a general statement of priorities?

I'm super scared about Sessions as AG, but not sure how I should feel about this.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man he really thinks he's a king huh? Signs an EO, has no idea how of any of this works, thinks he makes magic happen.

Fucking worthless moron

As someone starting police academy this month, I am so glad my criminology professors endowed me with a great respect for the actual statistical evidence that crime is going down, not up.

I wish I could tell Mr. Trump that I want to save lives, and solve murders, rapes and kidnappings, not be a force of oppression. Whereas he could encourage us to become public servants for people everywhere of every race and creed, and to enact positive change in whatever sphere we find ourselves in, he uses his platform to preach ignorance. So aggravating.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They'll do everything they can to create a crisis.

As someone starting police academy this month, I am so glad my criminology professors endowed me with a great respect for the actual statistical evidence that crime is going down, not up.

I wish I could tell Mr. Trump that I want to save lives, and solve murders, rapes and kidnappings, not be a force of oppression. Whereas he could encourage us to become public servants for people everywhere of every race and creed, and to enact positive change in whatever sphere we find ourselves in, he uses his platform to preach ignorance. So aggravating.

I saw that movie
training day right?
I hope you land in a good bunch not a group that feel like marines in foxhole. Which is what their management are telling them to feel right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom