• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (2016) free trial coming to PS4/XBO/PC for this week only

Huh shocked that my 660ti held most things at High and a pretty solid 60fps. Although I had to turn the AA almost off lol. The game defaulted it to one of the highest options and it was killing my FPS.

not sure if I checked the AA option, i'll have to revisit it later and see if I missed anything

Anustart

So the Bethesda logo intro is maxing out my 3570k and going about 1fps. Have a 4gb 760.

Gonna need dat sli 1080 to get to the menu.

tioslash

So the Bethesda logo intro is maxing out my 3570k and going about 1fps. Have a 4gb 760.

Gonna need dat sli 1080 to get to the menu.

First time running the game? I think the 1fps intro is a bug. I had it on the beta and on the final game aswell. After the intro plays out for the first time, next time you run the game it should run normally.

Anustart

First time running the game? I think the 1fps intro is a bug. I had it on the beta and on the final game aswell. After the intro plays out for the first time, next time you run the game it should run normally.

Yeah running fine after a restart!

Think I'll be picking this game up in winter sale maybe.

Beat the demo on PC last night on the hardest difficulty available.

I gotta say, they really make sure the player keeps moving, and because you get guaranteed health on glory kills, it's basically required to do that.

It seemed fun. I wish there was just a little bit more to try because the demo didn't sell it well enough to want to make me put down money on it. I'll probably pick it up on sale eventually, also depending on how id Software handles the MP side of things, which I hear is sort of a mess right now.

Even on low I only get around 50 frames, surprisingly demanding

What are your specs? I was playing maxed out on my 780Ti at 1440p and I was getting anywhere between 30-60fps (thank god for GSync). Well, as maxed out as it would let me because it wouldn't let me enable some things because it said I didn't have enough VRAM. :p

Beat the demo on the hardest difficulty last night. I loved Doom 1-3, so I was super excited about playing the demo.

It was alright. Encountered a shocking amount of glitches, the running speed felt completely ridiculous (not in a good way) and unsatisfactory (I know the original didn't have a sprint function but having agency over the run speed feels satisfying), and I 1000% miss the horror atmosphere of 3. I LOVED the animations though, the game is wonderfully animated. The gunplay was pretty fluid and satisfying and I enjoyed strategically picking off enemies one by one while weaving through enemies.

So overall, yeah I had a good time. But unfortunately enough, I had my fill with the demo and am already looking to move on. Considering I was excited about buying the game and now I feel like I've had enough with the demo.... yeah, probably not the best outcome for the devs at least on my end.

Really wish they made it a sequel in the spirit of 3, then I would have absolutely bought it happily.

Is the limited time only for the download, or will it stop working completely after that time period?

I sold my graphics card to be able to afford a new one, so I won't be able to play this right now, but I'd like to try it when I get my new card in a few weeks.

demo level isnt very good but does it get a lot better?

First level isn't classic doom at all, you find a key right on your way and it's sort of too redish and clumpy . Assume it gets a lot better though

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Thanks for the heads up.

Just downloaded it on PC and played through it on Nightmare. Quite fun, I really like the emphasis on movement during combat.

I need to turn down some settings, though. I was getting some regular frame drops. What are the most demanding video options?

Laptop runs Dark Souls 3 well.

Having 1 fps Bethesda intro.. Read it would go away, but even the game is 1fps.

Don't have good enough internet to download drivers from home, so if a relaunch doesn't fix the game, I guess I'm not playing Doom anytime soon.

Edit: 2nd boot, game intros run fine. But the game still runs like shit.. Like 5 fps shit. I even turned everything to low and advanced settings off. This blows. 960m nvidia runs games well on medium to high settings, but this is just silly. Maybe I need new nvidia drivers after all..

Kevin Atomic

Neo Member
Pretty surprised this actually runs pretty well with my Radeon 7870 with out any drastic compromises. Sadly doesnt work with Steam Link so I'll probably wait on buying.

Formless

Man my PC is kinda shite at this point. I was able to play it at around 40-50 fps and it was pretty fun though I got some motion sickness.

Finding that one room unlocks the classic map. No idea if they let you access the classic map selection on this demo.

I used the
switch and went through the classic door where there was 4 guys on pillars that could be lowered,
but that's it.

Anteo

I used the
switch and went through the classic door where there was 4 guys on pillars that could be lowered,
but that's it.

Yes, thats the one room. Entering that room will unlock the classic map in a separate stage select menu after you finish or quit the current stage. If you are playing the demo.. well I have no idea if you can actually play the classic maps there.

YuShtink

The classic map
found within the level is only one small room? Or am I just an idiot?

When you unlock the old school level during your mission it's usually just a room or maybe a couple. To access the full unlocked old school level you have to launch iit from the main menu. Apparently you can play the full level in the demo version from the main menu.

YuShtink

demo level isnt very good but does it get a lot better?

First level isn't classic doom at all, you find a key right on your way and it's sort of too redish and clumpy . Assume it gets a lot better though

Yep, it gets a lot better very quickly. Here's my post from much earlier in the thread on the subject:

Yea I kinda wish they made at least like The Foundry the free level or something. Much more representative of the full game. It's the first wide open level and the first taste of real weapon/enemy variety. The first 2 levels aren't bad by any means but they are a little one dimensional.

Everybody should try it though Even if it's the first level. If you find yourself enjoying the tightness of the control and combat just know that the game gets MUCH better pretty quickly.

Yes, thats the one room. Entering that room will unlock the classic map in a separate stage select menu after you finish or quit the current stage. If you are playing the demo.. well I have no idea if you can actually play the classic maps there.

When you unlock the old school level during your mission it's usually just a room or maybe a couple. To access the full unlocked old school level you have to launch iit from the main menu. Apparently you can play the full level in the demo version from the main menu.

Thanks guys. I saw someone mention selecting it from the main menu but I thought that was for replaying purposes, not to initially access it.

Coxy100

Banned
really enjoyed the demo. Wasn't 100% sure about buying it but decided to go ahead - it's gone a bit cheaper on amazon at the mo in the UK (£30) and it's nice to support a dev who makes a demo again ;)

Gurish

They called it "shareware", they probably forgot how extensive those were used to be, that was a demo and a very short one.

Still had a blast, looks amazing and plays wonderfully, will buy on a sale.

InPlosion

I've already spent more than 3 hours in the demo alone. Even with my system that's well below minimum (4gb sys memory and just an old rusty hd 6850 1gig to power the gfx),averaging 30 fps with huge slowdowns, I managed to have a blast.

I don't even care I bought this so hard this morning. If I can't finish the game on my system I'll keep playing small snapmaps until I can afford a better rig lol. Such a satisfying gameplay loop goddamn

mantidor

My ancient laptop was struggling, but I saw the resolution percentage thing and tuned it completly down to 50% and now it plays like doom and has kind of a retro feel without looking too horrible.

I'll definitely be buying this game down the line, right now budget is tight, but I liked what I saw.

Branson

This demo convinced me to get the game on PC. After I get and finish Uncharted 1-4 on ps4 of course. It ran so good on ultra for me too. 60fps with no drops on a 980 and 2500k at 4.5.

DonMigs85

Demo runs incredibly well on my ancient Core 2 Quad Q9550 and Strix GTX 960. Stable 60fps on high, will try Ultra soon.

Geengrenzuh

Neo Member
Played the demo, bought the game.
Headphones on and blasted through the first couple of levels.

No nonsense doom experience here, oldschool in it's dna. Breath of fresh air after all these semiserious open world shooters. Awesome game!

I have no idea why, but it's running like utter shit on my PC (i5 4460, 16gb ram, 4gb 380), far worse than anything else I've played on it, and changing settings seems to do bugger all. It's a constant sub 30fps, even on lowest settings.

I checked the drivers and they're all up to date, there doesn't seem to be anything else running in the background, and I'm hitting a pretty consistent 60fps with no dips past 50 on Rise of the Tomb Raider at mostly high with a few very high settings, so I'm kind of flummoxed as to where the problem is.

Thankfully though it looks gorgeous and plays perfectly on my PS4, so I'll just get it on that, but if anyone has any suggestions for what the hells up with it on my PC I'd be grateful.

DonMigs85

I have no idea why, but it's running like utter shit on my PC (i5 4460, 16gb ram, 4gb 380), far worse than anything else I've played on it, and changing settings seems to do bugger all. It's a constant sub 30fps, even on lowest settings.

I checked the drivers and they're all up to date, there doesn't seem to be anything else running in the background, and I'm hitting a pretty consistent 60fps with no dips past 50 on Rise of the Tomb Raider at mostly high with a few very high settings, so I'm kind of flummoxed as to where the problem is.

Thankfully though it looks gorgeous and plays perfectly on my PS4, so I'll just get it on that, but if anyone has any suggestions for what the hells up with it on my PC I'd be grateful.
I can run it at 1080p 60fps ultra with TSSAA on my GTX 960 and Q9550, so something is definitely wrong with your system. Do you have the latest Catalyst Beta driver? Windows fully updated?

I can run it at 1080p 60fps ultra with TSSAA on my GTX 960 and Q9550, so something is definitely wrong with your system. Do you have the latest Catalyst Beta driver? Windows fully updated?

Yep, the first thing I did was update everything, and it's working fine with every other game too, it just does not seem to like Doom for some reason.

DonMigs85

Here's how it looks on my rig. The usage numbers for CPU and GPU are generally where it hovers, and I've never seen FPS dip below 58.

MkpQiKd.jpg

Top Bottom