• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

It's missing blue to contrast with that piss yellow/orange.

To be fair, I've never seen a "blue" Hell. Grey Hell, yes. Yellow Hell, sometimes. NEVER blue.

If I were in charge, the yellow would be replaced with a deep orange, but obviously I'm not.

EDIT: Forgot about Disney's Hercules.

latest

To be fair, I've never seen a "blue" Hell. Grey Hell, yes. Yellow Hell, sometimes. NEVER blue.

If I were in charge, the yellow would be replaced with a deep orange, but obviously I'm not.

EDIT: Forgot about Disney's Hercules.

latest

It's atleast in the logo. :D

This pure white "DooM" logo is trash.

qTLTdOX.jpg

Ixion

I mean...that's not a "no":

True, but if that's the box art, what's left to reveal? If that is indeed the final box art, then I guess they're going to "reveal" a hi-res version and/or the different box arts for any special editions they're doing.

Chances are you might be right, since the Fallout 4 box art was also very simple and generic. Perhaps that's what Bethesda's marketing department deems the most successful.

The pinky demon! He looks like a pinky demon again instead of a cyborg dog! I actually like the Doom 3 design, but don't like that it came at the cost of the original design. I hope they sound like grunting pigs like in Doom 1/2.

Yeah, he does look pretty damn schweet.
QOVURQ7.png

Looks like he's got armor welded to him; almost as if the UAC put it there.

Well doom.com shows me this:

doom-frontcover.jpg

Filename: doom-frontcover.jpg

Yeah, the trailer basically confirms that this is the final cover art (unless changed later, but considering they need to have a couple million of these boxes printed and shipped in three months I highly doubt any major changes are gonna be made). Honestly, a simple change I would've made to the cover was the distant silhouette of either a Cacodemon, Revenant, or Cyberdemon behind DOOMguy (like [ugh, I hate to use this game as an example, but it's one of the better ones] the faint image of the destroyed US Capitol building behind the generic soldier on the MW2 cover).

Also, calling it now, either the next Alpha test or the Beta test (since the game is now in crunch time 3 months from launch; and believe me, 3 months goes by FAST) is going to be announced tonight on Conan O'Brian.

There is a distinct lack of shadow casting lights in some scenes.

In the words of John Bain, "Beta is Beta", but if I were to guess, that's Xbox One footage since they obviously had to tone it down to get it to run on consoles. The question remains whether or not the PC version will suffer because of it (my guess is "maybe not" since PCs in general can handle shadows MUCH better than consoles can).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I really like this meaty colorful look. Releasing Friday the 13th is a nice touch.

I think my biggest problem is how chunky and beefy everything looks... reminds me of things like Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3. I kinda hate that visual style.

Same. I really want to like this game but the visual style is making it really hard for me to get excited.
That and the slow gameplay.

Well doom.com shows me this:

doom-frontcover.jpg

Filename: doom-frontcover.jpg
PtwPj8h.gif

Some things I noticed from the clip that were shown off on Conan:
  • Glory kills are now MUCH faster; especially the one involving ripping out the Mancubus' explosive organ and ramming it down his gullet.
  • not only has the shotgun been redesigned, it's spread has also been reduced since E3. Same with the super shotgun.
  • Chainsaw kills are surprisingly quick; even the one done against the Baron of Hell was over within two seconds.
  • When the people playing it weren't being idiots and standing still, the movement speed was actually rather high.
  • Now the game's still unreleased, but there was screen tearing up the wazoo, so they're definitely gonna have to do some optimizations within the next three months.

Ixion

Some things I noticed from the clip that were shown off on Conan:
  • Glory kills are now MUCH faster; especially the one involving ripping out the Mancubus' explosive organ and ramming it down his gullet.
  • not only has the shotgun been redesigned, it's spread has also been reduced since E3. Same with the super shotgun.
  • Chainsaw kills are surprisingly quick; even the one done against the Baron of Hell was over within two seconds.
  • When the people playing it weren't being idiots and standing still, the movement speed was actually rather high.
  • Now the game's still unreleased, but there was screen tearing up the wazoo, so they're definitely gonna have to do some optimizations within the next three months.

One thing to remember is that apparently there are perks to make the executions go faster, so it's possible those were turned on.

As for the screen-tearing, I noticed that during the hologram sequence. I fucking hate screen-tearing, so I hope that's ironed out. The Alpha certainly didn't have any, which is a good sign.

One thing to remember is that apparently there are perks to make the executions go faster, so it's possible those were turned on.

Hrmm. That is odd. Having to upgrade yourself to reduce the importance of a supposedly optional feature? Makes me think it is not so superfulous and infact becomes integral to staying alive and progessing within a fight.

I'm expecting a final alpha announcement soon

Actually, it turns out there was a reddit post where someone figured out how to load the map through the dev console and it loaded it through campaign mode which gave them access to the entire campaign arsenal. So that's probably why it got deleted.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_doom_campaign_trailer-17556_en.html Gamersyde now has a high bitrate version of the Campaign trailer for all to peruse over.

EDIT: After viewing the trailer, I can say that it looks like there's going to be a film-grain filter along with chromatic aberration. If the final game allows the dev console to be used, the command used in Wolfenstein: The New Order was "cvaradd r_skippostprocess 1" to disable all post process effects (color grading, film grain, DOF, chromatic aberration and so on).

Bolivar687

Banned
But it hasn't been confirmed yet?

Isn't Bethesda launching a PC platform/overlay/client? Couldn't find anything about it but I thought they announced it at E3 as the way to keep up with user generated content via snap map and such. I wouldn't mind being able to just install and run it through there instead of having to manage it via Steam. I'm getting the disc since Amazon has that discount on physical games now.

Isn't Bethesda launching a PC platform/overlay/client? Couldn't find anything about it but I thought they announced it at E3 as the way to keep up with user generated content via snap map and such. I wouldn't mind being able to just install and run it through there instead of having to manage it via Steam. I'm getting the disc since Amazon has that discount on physical games now.

PC version is all Steam no matter where you get it from. As far as I know Bethesda's mod hub thing is a just website and a service you connect to inside their games and is at least somewhat platform independent since they've mentioned being able to share Snapmap stuff across platforms.

Top Bottom