• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

MiguelItUp

Was anyone?

I just appreciated the fact that it attempted to bring back the arena gameplay that I grew up with and missed so much. But it was really messy. I'm just so ready for the FPS genre to go back to a time before ADS, loadouts, and modern settings. :(

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Quite a few people like it, and I don't get why. It's poorly optimized, frustrating to play, and extremely buggy.

I enjoyed it but it was very buggy at release. It got patched up a lot though and it's much better now, well was last time I played it.

It felt very much like a remake of ROTT rather than a reimagining. I didn't mind the platforming but can understand how for some folks it would be a bit annoying.

The RotT remake was obviously not a big budget highly polished product (like the Shadow Warrior remake/reboot), but it was fun and enjoyable from what I played. My problem was that it ran pretty poorly on my system, but somehow looked really bad too. I still haven't played it much, because even on mostly low settings it runs poorly enough that it impacts the gameplay. (talking sub 30fps here)

Mr. Tibbs

The RotT remake was obviously not a big budget highly polished product (like the Shadow Warrior remake/reboot), but it was fun and enjoyable from what I played.

I mean, relative to ROTT, sure, but SW (2013) had a smaller budget than most top-tier Kickstarter campaigns. Flying Wild Hog did an insanely great job considering how little money and time they had to work with.

I had a dreadful experience with ROTT. It wouldn't even launch on my computer! It was an admirable attempt to create a 90's shooter but the team wasn't up to the task of delivering such an ambitious project (just like Interceptor's follow-up Bombshell). Champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Mr. Tibbs

It was incredibly terrible. But I don't think most fans of it can even see why it's so bad... So I don't think that negates them seeing what's good in a different game...

There's a lot of good-will for amateurs who give something an earnest try. Interceptor and ROTT were like the game development equivalent of the documentary American Movie, albeit slightly less ambitious since they had to leverage an existing property rather than create their own. They were out of their depth and knew it, but they finished their project despite a lack of resources and trying circumstances. That's pretty cool.

I mean, relative to ROTT, sure, but SW (2013) had a smaller budget than most top-tier Kickstarter campaigns. Flying Wild Hog did an insanely great job considering how little money and time they had to work with.

Yeah I don't even know what their budget was like, but the SW2013 looks and feels like a polished, big budget game. It's so good. ROTT felt like a fan project.

The RotT remake was obviously not a big budget highly polished product (like the Shadow Warrior remake/reboot), but it was fun and enjoyable from what I played. My problem was that it ran pretty poorly on my system, but somehow looked really bad too. I still haven't played it much, because even on mostly low settings it runs poorly enough that it impacts the gameplay. (talking sub 30fps here)

If you turned off physx, it gave you a 40% performance boost (lol, I just thought of a really bad Bender joke). And while it DEFIANTLY wasn't as polished as it could've been, I still feel like t was a damn good effort considering that it WAS a fan-project made by a virtual studio (they apparently communicated over Skype).

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I don't even know what their budget was like, but the SW2013 looks and feels like a polished, big budget game. It's so good. ROTT felt like a fan project.

Well the Flying Wild Hogs folks are incredibly experienced as well and in comparison to Interceptor Entertainment so they've got that under their belt too. Really looking forward to Shadow Warrior 2, looks tremendous.

Well the Flying Wild Hogs folks are incredibly experienced as well and in comparison to Interceptor Entertainment so they've got that under their belt too. Really looking forward to Shadow Warrior 2, looks tremendous.

That's true. When a good sized portion of your staff worked on Painkiller and Bulletstorm, you've got some pretty experience guys on your hands.

On a sidenote, I kinda wish that, instead of the description of the chainsaw being a "there are no trees on Mars, therefore there is no reason for these to be here" kind of thing, I wish they went with "specially designed to cut through semi-hard stone structures" to make the chainsaw sound really freaking powerful.

Ixion

New SnapMap screenshot showing off the customizable armor:

2ea33bc9-be6c-4685-810d-9d2aebf82fc3._CB294721016_.jpg

MiguelItUp

The players look like spartan clones

Similarities? Sure. But to call them clones is a bit much IMO. I mean, they're futuristic head to toe armored suits that have a variety of bright colors, yeah. But, Halo didn't necessarily invent that.

This is one of the main reasons why I wish they would've stuck to the classic DOOM marine look. Because if it used any kind of futuristic head to toe armor, with multiple color palettes, people are going to automatically compare them to Halo. Can I blame them? Not necessarily per se. I guess they were trying to think of a more "believable" look for the marine(s), so they just went full armor. However the whole color thing is akin to the original DOOMs where you could change the color of your marine, or play on teams that donned the same colors. It would've been really cool to have had them utilize their own look more so so they could stand out a bit more.

I mean, at least the suits in DOOM 3 still had short sleeves like the original DOOM marine.

Well, judging by the fact that some of the taunts you can do in the beta are a goofy dance and the hail satan horns, I think we've been confirmed that the game is very, very silly.

Well, judging by the fact that some of the taunts you can do in the beta are a goofy dance and the hail satan horns, I think we've been confirmed that the game is very, very silly.
Now all they need to confirm is if they ripped off thrash metal bands for the music and I'll be happy.

Top Bottom