• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Ragnarok

Looks good! Was a bit disappointed at first but once it cut to the chase it looked pretty awesome. I dig the finished. Very gruesome. Gave me a bulletstorm vibe in a way.

EBE

looks interesting. cant tell if in a good or bad way yet. definitely not wowed by this game yet.
look forward to seeing more, though.

Newboi

I was excited by what I saw. I wish they took more of a humor route and had the main character just be an awesome guy without a super suit. Anyway, the melee kills were fantastic and overall frantic pace is really improved, but not as much as I expected. I was kind of bummed out that the shotguns didn't have uber long range like the original games.

I definitely look forward to seeing more of it. I wasn't blown away like when I first saw Doom 3, but I'm excited by what I see.

Fury451

Banned
I am not ignoring. Forums are not black and white.

I am talking about the drive by posts of "yawn". "doesn't look good", etc.

I see things as well that others have mentioned that I agree with that can yes adjusting.

But people saying the graphics are not good, and their one liners, come on bruh!

Oh, my apologies then! It would be nice to seem Doom be a gaming staple again- maybe by release they'll bump a few things due to feedback.

The graphics are quite good though- a bit more distinct enemy design/coloring would be nice though. The palate reminds me a lot of Quake at the moment, which isn't really a positive.

Overside

Banned
Sounds like it's time for you to move on chap. Happened to me with Formula One. It changed and left me behind. You'll find something new.

No. I will take it back. I will take it all back from the unworthy.

I will scrape the parasites off, they will peel with the sickly fleshy popping sound of a tumorous slough.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The melee finishers don't really feel like Doom to me. Kinda interrupts the flow of combat.

Momentary

Banned
The melee finishers don't really feel like Doom to me. Kinda interrupts the flow of combat.

Maybe it's just me, but that controller movement never even set up any "flow" from the get go. So bad. Don't know why they decided to show off the game in such a sluggish way.

The Hell gameplay looked slow and boring too. Reminds me of Painkiller. The cinematic kills break the pace too much and glowing enemies look dumb.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh, my apologies then! It would be nice to seem Doom be a gaming staple again- maybe by release they'll bump a few things due to feedback.

The graphics are quite good though- a bit more distinct enemy design/coloring would be nice though. The palate reminds me a lot of Quake at the moment, which isn't really a positive.

Totally agreed on that. I hope the constructive criticism in here does lead to changes. I am sure they are listening.

Linkup

They just don't understand what people loved about the original doom games. The level design, awesome enemy design and ai, and fast gameplay is what made doom. This just looks like a sequel to doom 3

You mean the virtual non existent AI?

peakish

Maybe it's just me, but that controller movement never even set up any "flow" from the get go. So bad. Don't know why they decided to show off the game in such a sluggish way.
Yeah, I don't know how much of my impression was coloured by the controls being sluggish. I liked the double jump movement stuff but even then came off eh.

Did the map editor get shown or just mentioned in speech? Vids?

Blueingreen

I don't get the hate, I saw everything I wanted from a Doom game, The only problem I had was with the weapon sounds, they don't really have that thump and clap that the OG Doom had.

The thing that stood out for me the most as a turnoff was that every enemy dropped health and ammo. That ain't DOOM. That's borderline regenerating health.

Overside

Banned
The thing that stood out for me the most as a turnoff was that every enemy dropped health and ammo. That ain't DOOM. That's borderline regenerating health.

They didnt drop health and ammo, it fucking showered out of them more gratuitously then the blood and gibs, with bright ass neon signs.

DSix

Banned
Finally a nice sequel to Doom. Hope they get better colors, orange everywhere was kind of stupid. But this is real promising, the combat looks on point. Hopefully they nail the map design too.

It looks really slow, like a remake of doom 3 to me. I really don't care about the executions, they just slow things down and will get old because this game is supposed to swarm you with monsters from hell.

Cleve

I dunno. I'm getting DOOM 3 vibes. Do they not know what makes DOOM?

They haven't known what makes doom or quake fun in a very, very long time.

Also, are these strogg in the video?

Whole game looks disappointing, but that's really something I've come to expect from ID for well over a decade.

GWX

Not feeling it, to be honest. I don't know if it's because of the stream quality, but the guns sounded very weak :/

Trojan X

Banned
Oh my... Shit got REAL in the single player video! That's the one to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhpg9Qx6l0

They still need to show what makes the game FUN though. Quake, Quake 3 and Doom are FUN games so that's the element they really need to show. From the video, I think the movement and mechanics need to be adjusted to make the game more skill based.

I'll second that it looked really slow, and the executions seem unnecessary, especially if the game starts throwing more and more enemies per encounter. It is a demo, though, and those are usually slow and played with a controller to show everything off.

dmr87

Guess I'll post it here instead

So what did you think? I hoped for more but it wasn't all out terrible.

I really want to like it, we'll see.

- Hit detection looked bad
- Dumb AI
- Didn't see "hordes of enemies"
- Excessive use of kill animations, broke the flow
- Controller gameplay looked stale, will reserve judgment until I see mouse gameplay
- Could've gone crazier with the weapon design, some looked too generic/"assault rifle-ish"
- Don't know if I liked items popping out of enemies vs being placed in the map

Oh my... Shit got REAL in the single player video! That's the one to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhpg9Qx6l0

They still need to show what makes the game FUN though. Quake, Quake 3 and Doom are FUN games so that's the element they really need to show. From the video, I think the movement and mechanics need to be adjusted to make the game more skill based.

Problem I have there in that video is that every encounter look scripted and 1v1, where is the horde, where's the bloodbath that ensues as you strafe all around in and out blasting them.

Lt.Chips

The more I look the more it feels like a hybrid of Doom 3 and Quake 4.

The enemies look too similar to one another. It's okay to use some bright colors to distinguish different enemy types, like the classic Doom did, you know (hot pink for the Demons, neon red and blue for the Cacodemons, etc.). Right now everything is grey and orange.

Rembrandt

Banned
man, I'm so in. give me that beta. the visuals/lighting was nice and it looked like what I expected doom to be in 2015. the worst thing I can think of is the health dropping out of enemies; other than that, looked great to me. I liked how the executions didn't repeat themselves. it seemed to be different depending where you aimed which is great; i hope more games implement that.

Maximo

I mean its a throwback to old Doom which I love but press X to execute ? that seems counter-productive to me with a game your trying to keep momentum, assume you don't HAVE to kill the creature that way but still. Plus it seems slow and slugish but yeah as others have said its a year off and it was with a controller.

Griss

Man, I get bored by more games than ever these days, but bored 1:30 into a gameplay demo of a new Doom? That's crazy, and a new record for me.

Looks terrible. Slow and reminiscent of Doom 3, which I hated.

I liked the weapons and overall design but hated how it moved. That could be a demo thing though, as FPS live demos in particular tend to have this weird, fake looking deliberate movement. Doom needs to be fast. And by god please no cutscenes or QTEs.

AJ_Wings

I think it looks okay. Nice weapon animations and models, no focus on ADS and more on movement. I expected way more from the enemies, both in sound and visuals. They're nowhere near as distinct as the original Dooms.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I thought the game looked surprisingly good; to my eyes it seemed to be the perfect union of the atmosphere of Doom 3 while preserving the feel and gameplay of Doom 1& 2. The only thing I could see people griping about are the finishers but considering that they are purely optional it shouldn't be a problem, plus they look cool. This one will remain on my radar and I love the fact that all of the enemies have returned. Can't wait for this to drop

I thought the game looked surprisingly good; to my eyes it seemed to be the perfect union of the atmosphere of Doom 3 while preserving the feel and gameplay of Doom 1& 2. The only thing I could see people griping about are the finishers but considering that they are purely optional it shouldn't be a problem, plus they look cool. This one will remain on my radar and I love the fact that all of the enemies have returned. Can't wait for this to drop

Ya, no.

Top Bottom