• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM - Multiplayer Gameplay Video

Ixion

Can't wait to run up to people and hit the action button

It looks like the melee system works just like in single-player, so your opponent's health will need to be low and you'll need to get close to them. So that doesn't sound excessive to me.

antitrop

I never expected DOOM-like movement speed with the game being for consoles, this looks about as fast as they could manage it.

Alienous

That didn't look any better than old arena shooters, other than visually. And the animations are jarring compared to the visuals; barely any hit reactions, gliding foot movement (like up stairs).

Eh.

Yeah...as a massive Doom fan I'm not feeling it. I don't like the weapon design, game is too slow, and the weapons sound weird.

lazygecko

It looks good enough, but I think it has that kind of typical modern graphics problem where it's tough to distinguish the characters from the environment. Needs more than just a text overlay. This is especially important if you actually want to foster a competitive scene.

Thankfully the sound is much better here than in the E3 presentation which had me worried a bit. The announcer voice has some kind of faux text-to-speech quality to it which is interesting.

RowdyReverb

movement looks too slow to me

looks pretty slow and floaty. not that I expected anything else.

Walkspeed looks slooooooooooow.

But otherwise this is a good, Quake-y looking MP.

Looks incredibly slow.

Looks very much like a slower, darker Quake, which isn't necessarily bad (and I get why you can't release something as fast as Doom 1/2 on consoles these days and expect a wide audience) but it's not that exciting.

That looks too slow to me. Hopefully there are modifiers available before setting up matches that allow you to correct this shit.

Seemed very slow in general, and weirdly off-putting for the environment's layout they were in.

It's pretty though... Sort of?

Looks really slow. Hopefully that's something they're working on.
I'm willing to bet they include a "Turbo Mode" playlist or something with higher movement speed to satisfy the more hardcore fans without forcing new fans into high level gameplay. It seems like a simple and obvious move.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Looks really slow. Hopefully that's something they're working on.
I highly doubt that's going to change much. Everything kind of scales with movement speed, so it's probably too late.

edit: Sure they can add a turbo mode or something...

Not sure where everyone is getting slow from. It looks plenty fast to me. And overall it looks badass and exciting. Cannot wait.
Have you ever played a DOOM mp before?

Not sure where everyone is getting slow from. It looks plenty fast to me. And overall it looks badass and exciting. Cannot wait.

Ixion

SnapMap will allow for the movement speed to be increased, so there's that.

But yes, I wonder if iD will allow for movement speed options in regular multiplayer as well.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I redeemed the code that came with my copy of Wolfenstein, which for some reason accepted it, but it doesn't appear in my history. Granted, my PS4's online is back in it's slow phase again for whatever reason, so that might have something to do with it.

lazygecko

IIRC the console versions of Unreal Tournament 3 even had the game speed reduced by 20-30%. Whether this means that fast paced shooters don't actually work on consoles, or if this is some self-fulfilled prophecy we've all come to believe is another thing.

Weren't the Dreamcast and PS2 ports of Unreal Tournament '99 and Quake 3 the same speed as the PC versions? I don't recall any complaints about it back then.

boinx

damn that shit looks pretty dope actually, they especially nailed the sound of the game. love that industrial vibe.

MiguelItUp

I never expected DOOM-like movement speed with the game being for consoles, this looks about as fast as they could manage it.

Agreed. It looks like they stretched it as far as they could while keeping it consistent across all platforms. I'm all for faster, but it's honestly not that big of a deal to me. Who knows, maybe if they get enough feedback they'll tweak it a bit more?

deleted

Looks okay, I like the style and it was good hearing the olf sfx in a new game, but it also looks (too) slow, the characters seem to have too much weight and they don't really pick up speed..

I don't know if I'll look into it, I love the setting, but most of the rest doesn't look like my cup of tea...

Ixion

IIRC the console versions of Unreal Tournament 3 even had the game speed reduced by 20-30%. Whether this means that fast paced shooters don't actually work on consoles, or if this is some self-fulfilled prophecy we've all come to believe is another thing.

Weren't the Dreamcast and PS2 ports of Unreal Tournament '99 and Quake 3 the same speed as the PC versions? I don't recall any complaints about it back then.

I have Ziggurat on PS4, which has fast movement speed, and I often have to stop moving in order to shoot. I have Quake 3 on Dreamcast as well and I remember having to stop for the most part as well, but it's been a long time...

This is a game I really need to see keyboard & mouse gameplay of. The aiming is even slower than the movement, which makes it very off putting to watch.

The level design also feels very constrained, like there's always something blocking a part of your view so you don't have to look that way.

Tovarisc

They took multiplayer elements from Quake and UT, and then slowed it down into crawl. Slow speed of movement and gameplay makes it look rather boring and bland, hopefully final release has faster gameplay.

This looks to play even slower than Destiny, and it's already slow when put next to e.g. upcoming UT.

Edit.
I can't get over how closely the character models resemble Master Chief/Spartan armor.

Or is Spartan armor design based on concept art of original Doomguy?

I'm willing to bet they include a "Turbo Mode" playlist or something with higher movement speed to satisfy the more hardcore fans without forcing new fans into high level gameplay. It seems like a simple and obvious move.

Why not to have everyone play in same fast paced playlist where skill ceiling is high?

Unit24

Looks pretty cool, though I think the announcer needs to be more into it. That might change in the future.

Also, whatever you do, do not look at the Youtube comments. It's nothing but people complaining that this isn't Fallout 4, and the rest is people complaining about the people complaining about Fallout 4.

FloorEssence

Neo Member
I love UT4, but this doesn't look bad at all.

Oh it doesn't look bad, should be fun for a few weeks but I don't think people will stick around with it for too long. Unfortunately its just too slow currently, but who knows maybe they will change it before launch.

RowdyReverb

Why not to have everyone play in same fast paced playlist where skill ceiling is high?
Because that will scare off new players who are curious to try it out, just as it did with Quake Live. You have a whole generation of players who never played a fast-paced arena FPS and instead became accustomed to slow-as-molasses Call of Duty, and the movement speed shown here will already seem fast to them at first. Baby steps.
The game has to sell, and the hardcore arena FPS fans aren't going to buy enough copies. The franchise needs to lure in new blood.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
doom-alpha-infographic_FINAL_EN.jpg

Bah, I'd forgotten about Steam's OpenID system. The Doom 4 Alpha config app that was added to the early bird Wolf14 subs on Steam last week was so Bethesda can ascertain whether or not people are eligible for the beta (Steam's web API doesn't report which licences a user owns, but it can report which apps they own, hence the addition), so contrary to what I was saying in the other alpha thread, those who bought the game digitally prior to May 26 aren't guaranteed access.

Ixion

should be fun for a few weeks

SnapMap will likely give this game more life than expected. User made maps and campaigns, user made modes, and gameplay tweaks (such as movement speed) will hopefully make the game feel like a living, breathing experience.

wwm0nkey

Oh it doesn't look bad, should be fun for a few weeks but I don't think people will stick around with it for too long. Unfortunately its just too slow currently, but who knows maybe they will change it before launch.

I will be able to see tonight if its any good or not luckily lol

Also I think Snapmap is going to give this game its legs.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Closed Alpha participants will be chosen from the people who have redeemed their DOOM Beta codes included with some physical retail copies of Wolfenstein.

I'm sorry what ? CHOSEN?
i got wolfenstein day 1 for the doom beta code . expecting it to launch soon..

and like a demo. OFFLINE DEMO OF A GAME
not a weekend... I'm not even home this weekend.

anyway last time i'm spending cash on any game pulling this trick.
this game left a foul taste in my mouth.

i'm happy i didn't bough ff for that ff15 demo .

oh well i guess i'm salty... i didn't even get an email yet

Top Bottom