• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM - Multiplayer Gameplay Video

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Closed Alpha participants will be chosen from the people who have redeemed their DOOM Beta codes included with some physical retail copies of Wolfenstein.

I'm sorry what ? CHOSEN?
i got wolfenstein day 1 for the doom beta code . expecting it to launch soon..

and like a demo. OFFLINE DEMO OF A GAME
not a weekend... I'm not even home this weekend.

anyway last time i'm spending cash on any game pulling this trick.
this game left a foul taste in my mouth.

i'm happy i didn't bough ff for that ff15 demo .

oh well i guess i'm salty... i didn't even get an email yet

You'll be in the beta. The closed alpha is separate.

Beta also refers to an MP test. I don't know why you thought it would be offline.

You know, I'm actually really annoyed with the opinions I hear in the NeoGaf and Doomworld Echo chambers.

This isn't quake. This isn't an expansion of quake. This also isn't Doom 4. This is DOOM, a reboot. A reimagining. This game is slow? Compared to what? DOOM is going to stand on its on merits and be judge by what it offers to the shooter genre. It's not as fast as doom 1/2 but it's also purposely straying away from being a continuation of those two. Saying DOOM isn't as fast as quake is like saying Destiny doesn't have as much vehicles as Halo. It's the past and it's a new imagining, let it go guys.

Interesting that they show footage of all three versions. Can we assume the one showing the Xbox One buttons is indeed Xbox One? Or could that be PC too?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I'm actually really annoyed with the opinions I hear in the NeoGaf and Doomworld Echo chambers.

This isn't quake. This isn't an expansion of quake. This also isn't Doom 4. This is DOOM, a reboot. A reimagining. This game is slow? Compared to what? DOOM is going to stand on its on merits and be judge by what it offers to the shooter genre. It's not as fast as doom 1/2 but it's also purposely straying away from being a continuation of those two. Saying DOOM isn't as fast as quake is like saying Destiny doesn't have as much vehicles as Halo. It's the past and it's a new imagining, let it go guys.
It's called DOOM, it's going to get compared to other Doom games if you like it or not. Destiny is not part of the Halo franchise. Odd comparison.

Nzyme32

Totally forgot about this. Thanks to GMG giving out the Pre-order keys way past the date they should have been, I'm in!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You'll be in the beta. The closed alpha is separate.

Beta also refers to an MP test. I don't know why you thought it would be offline.

thanks!

Just checked the back of my box nothing was said about an MP test.
It straight out tells me DOOM BETA.

resident evil mercenaries 3ds had an demo on it for resident evil revelations 3ds .
that is how you do a demo .

Oh well .

PnCIa

So this is what console Doom looks like then. For that, it looks great, but thats about it.
The singleplayer had me kinda excited, but for multiplayer it does looks slow indeed.

I'm willing to bet they include a "Turbo Mode" playlist or something with higher movement speed to satisfy the more hardcore fans without forcing new fans into high level gameplay. It seems like a simple and obvious move.
Didn't consider this at all, and it makes a lot of sense.

I was more put off by the 'stop and aim scoped weapon' move (must be a casul thing) and sluggish jammed corridor shooting, they were all just barely moving.

2x or 1.5x movement would do a lot to convince me I think.

Edit: and some counter negativity: seen it in Fallout 4 and MGSV threads as well- don't want criticism from long term fans who've kept the series alive with sales? Come up with a new IP.

PnCIa

Didn't consider this at all, and it makes a lot of sense.

I was more put off by the 'stop and aim scoped weapon' move (must be a casul thing) and sluggish jammed corridor shooting, they were all just barely moving.

2x or 1.5x movement would do a lot to convince me I think.
Just making the movement speed faster wont do it since weapons are balanced for slower movement.

Watched the short mp footage Bethesda released. It didn't move me at all, looks so mediocre. Another frantic arena shooter zzzzzz.
The sp on the other hand, I want to experience with PlayStation VR - hopefully.

Woorloog

Banned
ITT: People who have forgotten what Alpha means.

Not sure if that's the case.
I mean there are "beta tests" that are done 2 weeks before launch nowadays, i think people are just disillusioned about terms like alpha and beta when they seem to be like marketing speak for limited time demos.

Does Halo count for half and half? ADS is just a token feature, it does not increase accuracy. Unless that changed.

Nope, it doesn't count as far as i'm concerned. I quit Halo over that (and lack of splitscreen campaign, and microtransactions, and a bunch of other stuff).

FloorEssence

Neo Member
How many non-ADS shooters there are actually?
Existing and upcoming.

This Doom and Unreal Tournament are upcoming or in alpha/beta. Are there any others?

Star wars battlefront I guess, but you move like a crippled old lady in that game.

This also isn't Doom 4.

Nobody wants it to be like Doom 4, that game sucked.

(But in all seriousness I see your point but its still too similar to the pace of other games nowadays, if this was a PC only game I doubt the movement would be so slow, its clearly being dumbed down to some extent for COD bros)

Stevey

Not sure if that's the case.
I mean there are "beta tests" that are done 2 weeks before launch nowadays, i think people are just disillusioned about terms like alpha and beta when they seem to be like marketing speak for limited time demos.

Maybe, but this is at least 6 months away from release.
People are acting like that video is the final build.

Woorloog

Banned
Fair enough. Not stop and pop, but still ADS.

Natural Selection 2 has a small community but they're loyal. No ADS there.

Quake Live is not really popular and it's just a repackaging of Q3A... Doesn't really count.

I literally can't think of anything else. It probably has just as much to do with how much military shooters have become the dominant form of FPS.

And out of all the listed games, only this upcoming Doom has single player.

Man, this fucking sucks.

I rarely care about pure multiplayer games, i need fun single player to pull me in.

Star wars battlefront I guess, but you move like a crippled old lady in that game.

Oh, right. It is something of a hybrid game though, thanks to the third person view option.

Maybe, but this is at least 6 months away from release.
People are acting like that video is the final build.

... People do that always, i think. Even if it is just prototype footage...

It's called DOOM, it's going to get compared to other Doom games if you like it or not. Destiny is not part of the Halo franchise. Odd comparison.

Same deal with the new Tomb Raider reboot compared to the older ones. They're going to make a game that fits with the times and is something they would like to play too. Either you get on board with the new vision or stick with Doom 1/2. I brought up Halo and Destiny because they have the same developers just like the Quake and Doom series. People have been comparing DOOM multiplayer to Q3 from the get and I have a big problem with it.

This game is going to make more sales on console than PC anyways so isn't slowing down the speed a bit a better business and accommodating decision?

Tovarisc

ITT: People who have forgotten what Alpha means.

I think true meaning of Alpha and Beta phases of software development flew out of window moment PR departments got idea that buggy game demo gets free pass from gamers when they call it Beta. Month to few weeks before full release of title.

Industry itself has totally warped meaning of those words... phases and are themselves to blame if people just "don't get it" when they put out something actually Alpha / Beta.

The scripted melee attack animations are too long, but everything else I love.

Expect those OHK melee animations to be soaked in invincibility frames.

JNT

I don't think increasing movement speed will make sense on consoles. Considering you are always on the move in this game you will have a hard time aiming when your opponents are swishing by at break-neck speeds. Even though you could technically crank up the speed on the PC version I doubt Id wants to maintain and balance two mechanically different versions of the same game (not to mention that faster movement speed might warrant different map design). I could see Id making the game a bit moddable on PC though, allowing users to tweak some gameplay settings and make custom maps just to give the game some legs in the competitive scene. All speculation of course.

Ixion

I doubt Id wants to maintain and balance two mechanically different versions of the same game (not to mention that faster movement speed might warrant different map design).

That could be why iD might only allow movement speed tweaking in SnapMap. They're probably thinking "We ain't gonna balance two different speeds for our maps, but you can do it for your own maps".

bee

awful, looks like quake slowed down and the skill based movement removed, same weapons though

GavinUK86

my god, that doom music just get's me pumped everytime. those guitar riffs are fantastic. always reminds me of meshuggah.

Mike Golf

I'm going to reserve any judgement until I can get hands on myself. I really hope I get into this alpha and will be attempting to redeem my Wolfenstein key when I get home. So glad they're not using id tech 5 here; that engine made New Order unplayable for me with it's drastic texture pop in and performance dips for seemingly no reason unless I set settings far lower than they should have to be for my setup.

Tovarisc

I'm going to reserve any judgement until I can get hands on myself. I really hope I get into this alpha and will be attempting to redeem my Wolfenstein key when I get home. So glad they're not using id tech 5 here; that engine made New Order unplayable for me with it's drastic texture pop in and performance dips for seemingly no reason unless I set settings far lower than they should have to be for my setup.

Isn't it on ID Tech 6?

Isn't it on ID Tech 6?

Indeed.

Glorious id Tech 6 after the dark ages of id Tech 5.

Guy.brush

Hmm if someone would have shown me this video in 2001 and told me this is how gaming looks 15 years later, I would not have believed him.
Feels like the big jumps like Doom->Quake->UT99->UT2003 are just not happening anymore.

Mike Golf

Indeed.

Glorious id Tech 6 after the dark ages of id Tech 5.

Yep, thus my original post. The concepts behind id Tech 5 were great but in practice it fumbled terribly. Never finished Rage thanks to the same issues I had with New Order, huge amounts of texture pop in and strange moments of FPS dips where they made no sense. This is on an i5-3570K and AMD 7970ghz which should have no problem with either game at 1080p or 1440p considering how relatively simple the games were in visuals compared to much more demanding FPS games such as Crysis 3.

Xav

Titanfall X Arena Shooter

Sounds good on paper but then you watch the trailer...

JsNXRzg.gif

Looks like every recent FPS out there put together. The game has no identity and it sure as hell doesn't look like a Doom game at all.

Hopefully the single player is better.

Top Bottom