• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse ships 1.5 million units WW

Jaeger

1.5 million units

TYprfQV.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
I agree, but we don't have them yet. Bernardo's 600k+ prediction sounds crazy. After several months, Far Cry 4 has sold a total of 300k using Ars numbers, and I don't think it was ever on a free weekend, yet he thinks Xenoverse sold 600k+ already?

Far Cry 4 is quite a bit more expensive, dropped of the top sellers list more quickly and it's not a Steam exclusive.

Village

Its a dbz with a kind of ok character creator.

I tihnk popular animu with where you can create Donut steel's need to be created more often. And more in depth. I would pick up a more indepth dbz one and naruto one in two seconds.

Far Cry 4 is quite a bit more expensive, dropped of the top sellers list more quickly and it's not a Steam exclusive.
* It may be more expensive but it's a much more well known franchise.
* What percentage do you honestly think buy directly through Uplay? Less than 5%?

If you don't want to use Far Cry 4 for whatever reason, let's use another one:

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance which was high on the charts for a long time has sold 440k after 14 months on the market.

MUnited83

For you.
* It may be more expensive but it's a much more well known franchise.
* What percentage do you honestly think buy directly through Uplay? Less than 5%?

Every single store that sells it but Steam gives you a Uplay code(origin included). That plus retail sales will easily mean at least other 300 000 sales that are not counted by Steam.

The Dragonball franchise is freaking huge.

Half of the all-time peak, late port.
What do you mean by half of the all time peak?

The fact that it was a late port is irrelevant because it was at or near the top of the charts for a long time and it was only like $30. What's your answer for that?

Far Cry a more well known franchise than Dragonball?

WTF am I reading?
Obviously I meant gaming franchise. Is it that difficult to come to that conclusion?

MUnited83

For you.
What do you mean by half of the all time peak?

The fact that it was a late port is irrelevant because it was at or near the top of the charts for a long time and it was only like $30. What's your answer for that?

Obviously I meant gaming franchise. Is it that difficult to come to that conclusion?

It had half of the concurrent players.

The fact that it was a late port isn't irrelevant in the slightest.

Daingurse

Good for Namco-Bandai. I have been thinking about picking this up myself on PC lately. I've really had Dragonball Z on the brain lately.

It had half of the concurrent players.

The fact that it was a late port isn't irrelevant in the slightest.
I don't get your concurrent players thing. What do you mean?

Was Revengeance at the top or near the top of the charts for a significant amount of time? The answer to that question is what matters because you pointed out earlier how Xenoverse has been on the charts for a long time. That's why the late port is irrelevant in this sales discussion.

Revengeance was at the top of the charts for a significant amount of time and has sold 440k in 14 months according to Ars.

I hope they take this success and build the game around this and iterate to make it better and not just take everything down give the game to other dev and rebuild everything from scraps again. Please Bandai stop destroying your own success.

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not :/

(The game is currently #8 on Steam, and was #1 for at least 48 hours upon release IIRC)
Xenoverse was #1 since a few days BEFORE release, and was still #1 for pretty much the entire week. It's been fluctuating between the top 3 positions for a while, and pretty much only last week that it stopped being that high, but it's still in the top10.

I honestly got amazed when I saw it wasn't budging from the top spot.

_woLf

What kind of game is this anyway?

I remember playing the RPG action/adventure games on GBA when I was younger. I liked those...I didn't care as much for the fighting games unless they had explorable areas and stuff like that.

Is this pure fighter or are there explorable areas?

KHlover

Banned

I remember playing the RPG action/adventure games on GBA when I was younger. I liked those...I didn't care as much for the fighting games unless they had explorable areas and stuff like that.

Most sidequests have 1-3 additional areas and there are some invisible items you can find with your scouter in each area, but don't get fooled by that - this is pretty much a pure fighter.

Nordicus

Neither. It's a brawler with PvP. Or a co-op lobby action game with RPG elements, with mission structure similar to MonHun, Phantasy Star Online, or Destiny. You level up, get loot, upgrade your customizable character. Once in a while take a story mission to unlock more standard missions if you're good enough or your character's strong enough to beat it.

Revengeance was at the top of the charts for a significant amount of time and has sold 440k in 14 months according to Ars.

Was it like that?
I remember Revengeance getting into the top 3 when the pre-orders were up(at the Winter sale) for a day, then going back at top 3 when the game came out, but only for a day too.

Was it like that?
I remember Revengeance getting into the top 3 when the pre-orders were up(at the Winter sale) for a day, then going back at top 3 when the game came out, but only for a day too.
I specifically remember reading multiple posts commenting on how well it was doing on the charts and how long it stayed up there.

I specifically remember reading multiple posts commenting on how well it was doing on the charts and how long it stayed up there.

I remember the posts commenting on how it was beating other popular games that were at 50-80% sale when the pre-orders were up. Not that it had some "longevity" in the top spots.

NeonZ

There's a central Hub, a leveling and stat system, and you can explore the fighting areas for items and extra battles... However, it's pretty much a fighting game.

Philtastic

is this good

I have just over 70 hours in this game already, the large majority of it played single player. I would say that it's like a 3rd person Super Smash Brothers featuring Dragon Ball and custom characters with loot-grind elements of Destiny: the game is not technically challenging to pull off moves so anyone can jump in and enjoy flashy attacks and zooming/teleporting around but, if you really learn the fighting system, it's pretty deep. You have basic RPG stat and level progression for your custom character, and you unlock costumes and many of the better skills by doing missions. The main complaints I see about the game are that the RNG for much of the loot is terrible and that PvP can be pretty unbalanced.

It is quickly becoming one of my favourite games ever and I'm not even a huge Dragon Ball fan (have only watched DBZ and the Battle of the Gods movie).

Savitar

It's definitely a very fun game that hits a lot of the right points for many people, basically it's much of what you really wanted in a DBZ game. Does it get everything right? Well no, there are things that can easily be improved and done better and in the sequel because we all know based on sales alone this will get a sequel hopefully they iron out some of the rough spots.

All in all it's a fun game that will inspire future DBZ games to come.

Oaktree

Banned
I still have my copy of this! Such a great game although this might just be nostalgia.

Awesome man. I wish still had a means to play this. I wonder if an emulator would even work, but you're right, very great game. Thinking about it makes me want to see what Xenoverse has to offer.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Xenoverse is a fun yet flawed brawler that could setup a decent foundation for a sequel. A second game could be really amazing with the right improvements.

Usobuko

Banned
It more likely sold between 300k and 500k on Steam so far, I'm guessing. 600k is too high. It was on the top sellers for a while, but that's revenue based not unit based, the game was priced pretty high.

My guesstimate would be ~350-400k and I too find 600k to be extremely high.

Xenoverse did very well in all relevant platforms, it only shows that there are none that Bandai Namco should skip except for maybe last gen consoles for the sequel.

SparkTR

People were commenting it got to No.1, but it didn't stay up there for more than a day or so if I remember right, and it fell out of the top ten within a few days. Dragonball is definitely doing better than that, it stayed number 1 for over two weeks and still isn't out of the top 10.

Top Bottom