• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse ships 1.5 million units WW

thelastword

Banned
It running g at 60fps was a huge draw for the PC space. I also think it's the only version with 60fps. Too bad it's not even in the top 10 list on Steam. Must be struggling for sales on there. I mean there's some city building game at the number one spot for crying out loud. Fighting games on PC are dead confirmed.
Well yes, fighting games on PC and on consoles are two different beasts. The genre basically thrives on consoles, so the sales will always be better there. If it was 60 on consoles, it would definitely have received more love, many persons just don't play 30fps fighters.

I do know, that this one is not sarcasm, because it's Heavy. FWIW, the game currently #1 on the Steam charts sold 500k copies in 6 days.
Wow, great post. Daaaah it's Heavy, guys. I'm not talking about the #1 game on the chart. PC versions of multiplatform games sell about 10-15% of the console versions. That's a fact, not a Heavyism.

Estellise

That's really great. I enjoyed this game a lot, honestly. It was frustrating at times, but it was a fun experience. I loved the customization and the story mode was fairly interesting since it was more original (and not a constant repeat of the same cutscenes) so I'm glad this game got good sales. I hope this means we'll see a sequel!

Durante

I'm not talking about the #1 game on the chart.
Xenoverse was #1 for multiple days upon release.

PC versions of multiplatform games sell about 10-15% of the console versions. That's a fact, not a Heavyism
PC versions of some console-centric AAA games sell 10-15% of all console versions combined. PC versions of "A" and "B" and indie games often sell on par with or even significantly more than their console counterparts. Xenoverse is not an AAA game.

Anyway, we'll see what the sales on PC were quite exactly when Ars publish their next set of numbers, and I'll be happy to pick up this argument again at that point.

PC versions of some AAA games sell 10-15% of all console versions combined. PC versions of "A" and "B" and indie games often sell on par with or even significantly more than their console counterparts. Xenoverse is not an AAA game.

Anyway, we'll see what the sales on PC were quite exactly when Ars publishes their next set of numbers, and I'll be happy to pick up this argument again at that point.
It doesn't matter if it was #1. It's like how the #1 position on NPD can vary greatly from milions sold to a few hundred thousand. Xenoverse is a AAA game or very close. It's by a major publisher, probably took years to develop, and has high production values. This isn't an indie game. It's not "some", it's most PC versions of major multiplatform releases sell 10-15% of the console versions. This isn't a rare occurrence. It's the trend. Financial statements back it up. It's one of the damning points that people like you tend to avoid.

Durante

It doesn't matter if it was #1. It's like how the #1 position on NPD can vary greatly from milions sold to a few hundred thousand. Xenoverse is a AAA game or very close. It's by a major publisher, probably took years to develop, and has high production values. This isn't an indie game. It's not "some", it's most PC versions of major multiplatform releases sell 10-15% of the console versions. This isn't a rare occurrence. It's the trend. Financial statements back it up.
Let's just wait until we get the real numbers, shall we? I've made a note on checking for this and picking up our argument again at that point.

Battle of Z did not have CaC, you're thinking of Ultimate Tenkaichi (which was hot garbage gameplay-wise lol). Which, despite the bad gameplay people still bought it for the CaC aspect of it... even though it was very barebones (even moreso than Xenoverse if you can believe that).

The main reasons this game is selling are: Better CaC than UT, CaC implemented into main story and said story is completely unique/what-if, and the gameplay is actually a step up from what the fanbase has been getting since 2010 (and arguably since 2008 when Bust Limit came out).
Oh yeah, forgot Ultimate Tenkaichi was a thing

Nameless

The game is a blast and continues to exceed my expectations as I was sure I'd be bored with after a couple of weeks. Nope-- I've put 35+ hours into it so far, and it will have long legs in my rotation as a side, pick up and play for 15-45 minutes game. Definitely should have bought the digital.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
jeff-albertson-comic-book-guy-the-simpsons-drinking-icee.jpg

? Is something i said wrong?

Outside of maybe the concept(the time travel stuff and adding in the MMO parts of the franchise) which is interesting and the create a character system, everything else includingthe gameplay is absolutely horrid. The gameplay is much worse than the budokai and tenkaichi series, and the graphics are worse than Burst limit. Then again, every DBZ game's graphics are worse than Burst Limit.

That game's visual style would have really gone over well with a PC port. If they ever make a Budokai 4(which is impossible cause that side of Dimps is only working on Street Fighter now), they need to reuse that engine

Carlius

Banned

PC versions of some console-centric AAA games sell 10-15% of all console versions combined. PC versions of "A" and "B" and indie games often sell on par with or even significantly more than their console counterparts. Xenoverse is not an AAA game.

Anyway, we'll see what the sales on PC were quite exactly when Ars publish their next set of numbers, and I'll be happy to pick up this argument again at that point.

lol, with all due respect, dumb arguement. theres plenty of pc games that have sold much better on pc than console. witcher 2 being one of them.

martino

Outside of maybe the concept(the time travel stuff and adding in the MMO parts of the franchise) which is interesting and the create a character system, everything else includingthe gameplay is absolutely horrid. The gameplay is much worse than the budokai and tenkaichi series, and the graphics are worse than Burst limit. Then again, every DBZ game's graphics are worse than Burst Limit.

Hum...maybe you need to invest more in it.
Gameplay has flaws and you need to loot the good technique/z-soul to really apreciate it (or at least get the ones that suits you).
But ,in the end,you can really build specialized/hybrid character for a type of games (coop/versus) and gameplay (ki/base/strike)
It is really enjoyable.

On tech/art side i hope for a big improvement in the inevitable (now) next opus. It is by far where the game lacks the most (even if anime style make it not as horrible as it would be otherwise)

zoutlaw

Banned
I hope we get a #2.

I had a blast with this game. I got 3 characters to level 80 though and by then it has run its course.

This is the blueprints for an incredible game.

That game's visual style would have really gone over well with a PC port. If they ever make a Budokai 4(which is impossible cause that side of Dimps is only working on Street Fighter now), they need to reuse that engine

if the gameplay was horrid people wouldn't enjoy it as much as they did.

The fun combat system is the very reason people do enjoy the game and spend enough time on it to get all the various ultimates and supers and clothing. If the combat sucked, you wouldn't care to put in the time necessary. Would be just torturing yourself for the chance at a cool screenshot moment.

Nah, the gameplay is awesome in DB: Xenoverse. Best battle system they have put out since the PS2 series.

Inuhanyou

^ I dont know about that...i've heard of tons of people playing because it was their first DBZ game, and the novelty of creating a character and participating in battles was alluring

Nice, hope the sequel has destructible environments.

I agree, even tenkaichi series had tons of destructible stuff including buildings mountains and even portions of the scenery you could destroy. In the second and third games, an entire level is nothing but buildings that you can level as much as you want...

Meh, perhaps i'm just overly negative about this new game, it just feels like a lot of things have regressed since i havent played one since burst limit. I don't know what exactly was featured in the time period since then

MUnited83

For you.
Being on the Steam charts doesn't mean much. We're most likely talking about thousands in single digits and even some high hundreds near the bottom of the chart. No chance the PC version sold better than the new console versions, especially PS4.

Wow, great post. Daaaah it's Heavy, guys. I'm not talking about the #1 game on the chart. PC versions of multiplatform games sell about 10-15% of the console versions. That's a fact, not a Heavyism.

Oh man, the taste of crow will be hilarious.

Inuhanyou

Oh man, the taste of crow will be hilarious.

Well, we know the PS3/PS4 versions of the game in Japan alone are atleast 200,000 of that number. Overseas is bound to be even bigger. Factor in 360 and XB1 sales, and i dunno how much of it is down to PC

MUnited83

For you.
Well, we know the PS3/PS4 versions of the game in Japan alone are atleast 200,000 of that number. Overseas is bound to be even bigger. Factor in 360 and XB1 sales, and i dunno how much of it is down to PC

As I already said, Steam sales are probably >600 000 by now easily.

You can tell a lot of the visuals were held back due to last gen machines (hum drum hub world, disappearing damage, average polycount). So my hope is that they can focus their efforts on the current gen versions for the sequel. Otherwise, fun game. Love to pop it in for a quick handful of missions when I have time.

They don't need to, Ars Technica has an approach for deriving Steam numbers for games which has been confirmed multiple times to have a very low error rate. See here.
Some of those games are way off due to free weekends counting as sales, as well as stuff like Dead Island Epidemic being given away. While some of those numbers might be accurate, half of them are terribly inaccurate due to those reasons.

As I already said, Steam sales are probably >600 000 by now easily.
Wait, you think Xenoverse sold 600k+ on Steam? :lol

levyjl1988

Banned
After playing Xenoverse I went back and bought Battle of Z and that game was complete trash and doesn't play as good as Xenoverse. Xenoverse has the perfect controller configs by far.

MUnited83

For you.
Some of those games are way off due to free weekends counting as sales, as well as stuff like Dead Island Epidemic being given away. While some of those numbers might be accurate, half of them are terribly inaccurate due to those reasons.

Wait, you think Xenoverse sold 600k+ on Steam? :lol

Not only I think, I'm pretty sure it did easily sold that, yes.

That literally makes no sense. Your saying steam sold 1/3rd of all sales of this game? Are you kidding me?
1.5 millions SHIPPED. The Steam sales are not included on this number.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm curious now, what are you basing this on? It's not those terribly inaccurate Arstechnica sales numbers that count free weekends and giveaways, is it?

Lol @ "terribly innacurate". We already know it's pretty reliable outside of a few specific cases. Willfully ignoring Arstechnica sales numbers is just being stubborningly ignorant.

SparkTR

It more likely sold between 300k and 500k on Steam so far, I'm guessing. 600k is too high. It was on the top sellers for a while, but that's revenue based not unit based, the game was priced pretty high.

Lol @ "terribly innacurate". We already know it's pretty reliable outside of a few specific cases. Willfully ignoring Arstechnica sales numbers is just being stubborningly ignorant.
A few specific cases? Half of the list is bogus.

Unturned @ 12.2 million
Civ Beyond Earth @ 2.2 million (free weekend, doubt it sold 2.2 million)
Company of Heroes 2 @ 4 million (free weekend, beta, whatever, no chance it sold 4 million)
NBA 2K15 @ 3.8 million (free weekend, 4 million is not even remotely possible)
Interstellar Marines @ 3.7 million (free weekend, giveaway, whatever the case it's not possible)
Dead Island Epidemic @ 3.9 million (given away, beta, this is a decent game btw, give it a shot)
Robocraft @ 5.3 million (same as the others)
Dino D-Day @ 2.8 million (same as the others)
Total War Rome II @ 3.9 million (same as the others)

Need I go on? That's more than half of the list, lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Unturned @ 12.2 million
Company of Heroes 2 @ 4 million (free weekend, beta, whatever, no chance it sold 4 million)
Interstellar Marines @ 3.7 million (free weekend, giveaway, whatever the case it's not possible)
Dead Island Epidemic @ 3.9 million (given away, beta, this is a decent game btw, give it a shot)

You can pretty trivially remove the 20-25 games a year (if even) that have free weekends.

Also two of those games are f2p, so they really would have that kind of ownership.

MUnited83

For you.

Unturned @ 12.2 million

You might actually read the article and look at the full list. Would do wonders.

Only saw half of Dragon Ball Z like 10 years ago, then I played Xenoverse, after that I went and saw the entire Dragon Ball Z anime. The Nostalgia hit me too hard.

KHlover

Banned
I'm curious now, what are you basing this on? It's not those terribly inaccurate Arstechnica sales numbers that count free weekends and giveaways, is it?
Thing is the game didn't have any free weekends or giveaways since it was released this month. What are you even talking about? ArsTechnica's numbers for Xenoverse literally CAN'T be terribly inaccurate since there's no fuzzing going on.

You can pretty trivially remove the 20-25 games a year (if even) that have free weekends.

Also two of those games are f2p, so they really would have that kind of ownership.

Yeah, and taking away the games that have had free weekends, giveaways, and betas makes the numbers far less impressive. I was only using the picture in the OP of that thread: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/steam-gauge-2014-FINAL.008-640x640.jpg not the 400 games of raw data which is probably more accurate.

In RE: Civ Beyond Earth, madjoki made a good post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154774594&postcount=128

So basically the majority of the top 10-15 on the list is bogus.

Thing is the game didn't have any free weekends or giveaways since it was released this month. What are you even talking about? ArsTechnica's numbers for Xenoverse literally CAN'T be terribly inaccurate since there's no fuzzing going on.
I agree, but we don't have them yet. Bernardo's 600k+ prediction sounds crazy. After several months, Far Cry 4 has sold a total of 300k using Ars numbers, and I don't think it was ever on a free weekend, yet he thinks Xenoverse sold 600k+ already?

Top Bottom