• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

chemicals

Hooray for Dragon Quest returning to its single player roots. We need more epic single player RPG's. Never has been enough. Seems like 3DS is really a great little JRPG machine. Just like GBA is.

Not saying it wont come over but the DQ series hasn't been hugely successful here. Pretty sure 8 did good, and I know 9 did. But after that it didn't go too well.

There were only two non-mobile games released in the west after IX: the VI remake and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2. Both were very, very, very late DS titles. Joker 2 released six months after 3DS launched.

Nintendo published IX, VI, and Joker 2. For whatever reason, SE lost confidence in DQ in the west after the remakes of IV and V didn't set the entire continents of NA and EU on fire.

Toparaman

Banned
I wish the Hero looked cooler (give me my Goku rip-off!), but I'll reserve full judgement for much later.

DQ11 seems like a mod of Kingdom Hearts 3. I know both use Unreal, but they are very similar.

I know people say that Unreal Engine doesn't have a "look", but honestly I almost immediately guessed that DQ11 (PS4) was running on Unreal. There's just something about the shading/lighting that looks tech-demoey.

Ray Down

Banned
There were only two non-mobile games released in the west after IX: the VI remake and Joker 2. Both were very, very, very late DS titles. Joker 2 released six months after 3DS launched.

Pretty much, while spin-offs and some remakes may not come over.

There now way a Mainline game will skip the US after the success of VIII and IX.

DQ X is completely different.

Hugstable

Banned
There were only two non-mobile games released in the west after IX: the VI remake and Joker 2. Both were very, very, very late DS titles. Joker 2 released six months after 3DS launched.

Nintendo published IX, VI, and Joker 2. For whatever reason, SE lost confidence in DQ in the west after the remakes of IV and V didn't set the entire continents of NA and EU on fire.

Another thing to note about Joker 2 that may have hurt sales in the west is that Joker 2 was getting released in the West when Japan was getting a Professional version of the same game.

Also I bet both games are coming over, and they will be coming mid to late next year japan and probably early 2017 for us.

My gut feeling is that if this weren't being planned for release in Europe and NA then it would have been 3DS only. It doesn't make a lot of sense to plug in the resources probably being required for the PS4 version if it were going to be a Japan only title.

Philippo

DQ11 seems like a mod of Kingdom Hearts 3. I know both use Unreal, but they are very similar.

Well because KHIII is supposed to have different shades/artstyles for each world, it's mostly a coincidence that the last world revealed has a very similar style to DQXI, but i'm sure it'll be only for that area.

QaaQer

I mean, you can call it a narrative. Or you can call it what it is - the version that is likely the bigger internal focus of the two based solely on sales potential. The stream sorta gave that away.

I didn't say anything about which one is going to be more expensive, because the likely answer to that question is certainly easier to guess.

idk why anyone would even argue this, unless a platform holder steps up with money and expertise, And with it being a jpn centric game, nobody is going to do that.

It'll probably sell 10:1, portable:home. Im actually surprised there isnt a phone/tablet version tbh.

Go_Ly_Dow

S-E announced NieR 2 for all markets. This will be fine.

When it comes to localization the main concerns are usually handheld titles and Yakuza
:'(

Most publishers are willing to localize now even for minimum returns... see Tales. They can't afford to be so selective.

Soriku

Yes. SE always does this stuff when they're not ready to officially announce something for overseas.

Same thing with many other Japanese companies. It's really annoying when everyone freaks out every time a game is announced and the Western branch says there are no plans. Well of course there are no plans JUST YET, but there will be eventually. Happens every time, and I'm wondering how much attention people are paying...

Tanston

You know... when we called it "Dragon Warrior" in the West.

It would be kind of neat if the title screen of the 3ds version said "Dragon Quest' on the top screen and "Dragon Warrior" on the bottom screen for the western release. Just because 30 year anniversary and what not.

Z3M0G

The 3D top screen / 2D bottom screen presentation on 3DS is pretty amazing... tempted to get it on that instead of PS4 for that feature alone.

GunBR

This game will be launched for the same console that got Jump Ultimate Stars and Romance of Three Kingdoms in english. I don't know why someone thinks that the Ps4 version won't get an western release

But the 3DS one...

AmyS

785d49584266631aefc56174a0659bde3cbf5af234fa4a609f4cd27c01b56e58.jpg

:p

lol, opps

Philippo

Do we have any actual translation of what was said during the demos?

Because when they're close to the end of the PS4 one they talk about something dungeon-related and say something like "variety" and "gimmicks", sounds important no?

Nerokis

Nah, I agree. It's 2015, globalization, especially when it comes to "first world" nations and technology, is a given. There's no good reason that a major publisher releasing footage of their game shouldn't have already had the "so where will we be releasing this?" conversation and come to a fairly definitive conclusion.

Of course, based on the whole Verendus thing, we already know the answer, and it is coming here, but it's still silly that they don't address it.

Globalization doesn't erase the existence of local concerns, or the distinct characteristics of each region. They announced DQXI during an event tailored for Japanese audiences. Expect an answer to the "where else will it be released?" question during an event tailored for Western audiences (or, alternatively, whenever the localization process is further along).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
S-E announced NieR 2 for all markets. This will be fine.

When it comes to localization the main concerns are usually handheld titles and Yakuza
:'(

Most publishers are willing to localize now even for minimum returns... see Tales. They can't afford to be so selective.

Yeah and consider the first Nier sold absolutely horrible over here.

AmyS

I'm really interested in knowing when Dragon Quest XI for PS4 went into development, 2014 or 2013, and even which half or quarter of which ever year. I think it was mentioned in one of the threads, maybe this one, but don't have time to read through everything again.

Anyone know? Thanks.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It seems like a decent amount of environmental work has already been finished. If they really are looking to have this up and running in 2016, i'd have to guess it was a 2013 start.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah and consider the first Nier sold absolutely horrible over here.

I'm always surprised how much reverence people have for NIER considering how experimental and niche it was. I'd even throw out there unfinished and unpolished. But still enough of a game to capture enough fan-fervor to become infectious.

Compare that to Type-0, which is very similar in terms of gameplay and scope, and it doesn't get nearly as much slack.

wmlk

Just like Ni no Kuni makes no sense...the DS game and PS3 games are very different even if they use the same base story and characters.

Did they even compare it to NNK during the stream? Or is it just in the OP?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm always surprised how much reverence people have for NIER considering how experimental and niche it was. I'd even throw out there unfinished and unpolished. But still enough of a game to capture enough fan-fervor to become infectious.

Compare that to Type-0, which is very similar in terms of gameplay and scope, and it doesn't get nearly as much slack.

Because Nier is an unpolished gem. the gameplay is serviceable if uninspired, the minigames either banal or infuriating to the point of irrationality.

But the art direction, music, characters and story are probably the best in the industry, and the elements it does right far outweigh the elements it gets wrong in a lot of people's eyes, which is what give it that cult classic status.

Type 0 on the other hand, was a game with a lot of issues, and a lot of hype for years from the fanbase before it came out. Both the PSP version and the HD port suffered from major drawbacks, and whatever it did right was not enough to elevate it beyond the sum of its parts.

Philippo

While i think the 3D/2D idea is really clever and cool, what's the point of having them play at the same time?

Wouldn't be better to have toggle and use the bottom screen for something useful, like world map and menus?

Arkeband

Banned
While i think the 3D/2D idea is really clever and cool, what's the point of having them play at the same time?

Wouldn't be better to have toggle and use the bottom screen for something useful, like world map and menus?

I think the bottom screen is basically just a glorified local/world map made to look like the 16-bit representation.

I don't have confidence they're going to pull off a truly seamless 16/32-bit game experience.

But if they do, that'd be cool. One square on the bottom screen = multiple steps on the top, which is why it reverts to random battles? If your PC runs into one of the visible enemies you spawned by using the thumbstick, does it put you into a 2D or 3D battle? Can you 'game' this by alternating between the D-pad and the thumbstick to minimize battles?

Hope this turns out great. Loved DQ7 on PS2, hate it when they switch games to handheld only for next few installments or turn them into MMO's. I really hate MMO's, you can't beat a good single player RPG.

Ni No Kuni was one of the best console JRPG's in years, I hope this can capture the feel of classic JRPG's from the days of the PS2, when single player JRPG's were king.

Squire

Banned
I hope they're not measuring potential DQXI sales in the west with DQH sales because they're completely different games.

Aren't these the guys that didn't bring over two mainline remakes because soon-offs sold poorly? They're definitely going to use DQH to gauge interest in the brand in a broad sense.

But don't let that keep you at night. TPP will definitely step in and get the PS4 port out of SE won't.

This game will be launched for the same console that got Jump Ultimate Stars and Romance of Three Kingdoms in english. I don't know why someone thinks that the Ps4 version won't get an western release

But the 3DS one...

Your point? SE didn't publish either of those titles. By your odd logic, I could point to Project X Zone and its sequel on 3DS, the latter of which exists in part because of the west's reception to the first game.

leadbelly

Banned
My gut feeling is that if this weren't being planned for release in Europe and NA then it would have been 3DS only. It doesn't make a lot of sense to plug in the resources probably being required for the PS4 version if it were going to be a Japan only title.

Well, I think that is part of the reason, but I think they genuinely believe they can increase PS4 sales with the release of DQ11. I think you're right in that they probably wouldn't risk it if they were not intending to make it a worldwide release.

The PS4 topped the Japan sales charts during the weeks in which Dragon Quest Heroes was released. And that is just a spin-off title. I think they probably expect a proper Dragon Quest game to do better.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...agon-quest-heroes-pushes-ps4-console-sales-1/

It is at least an indication that if the games are there, a possible market is there.

Eolz

Well, I think that is part of the reason, but I think they genuinely believe they can increase PS4 sales with the release of DQ11. I think you're right in that they probably wouldn't risk it if they were not intending to make it a worldwide release.

The PS4 topped the Japan sales charts during the weeks in which Dragon Quest Heroes was released. And that is just a spin-off title. I think they probably expect a proper Dragon Quest game to do better.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...agon-quest-heroes-pushes-ps4-console-sales-1/

It is at least an indication that if the games are there, a possible market is there.

Well, of course, japanese gamers would buy a 360 if Dragon Quest was there.
The problem isn't getting better PS4 sales, it's to stabilize them afterwards. Anyway, this should be in a Media Create thread.
For the west, even if I don't think Sony will help or pay for the localization, pretty sure their help will be on the marketing side, like for IX or MonHun for Nintendo. Doubt it will do anything for the franchise (after Nintendo's efforts...), but hey, who knows.

On another related topic, I just hope that people would finally think it's S-E's job to localize their own games, not complain about Sony or Nintendo when this doesn't happen.

KtSlime

Some Japanese gamers would, but DQ players here aren't hardcore gamers, they would be of the same kind of people that play Mario in the U.S.; casuals. Casual gamers in Japan don't buy Xboxes.

SE would never take that kind of gamble with DQ, that's also why they aren't leaving it up to the PS4 alone either, even if the PS4 is more casual friendly than the XBox.

Also, SE, nor any other company is under any obligation to sell their product in a country they don't want to, or think would be profitable.

xevis

Banned
One can also experience an RPG in small bursts on consoles. So it does not "mean handheld".

Maybe we just have different playing styles and expectations. I find the process of enjoying entertainment on my console sufficiently onerous that when I commit I expect to be there for some time; 60-90 mins at least. That's because I need to find my TV remote, switch inputs, find the controller, wait for the system to start, wait some more for for the game to load then I need to fire up my save. No way I'm going through all that just to grind a few levels. Not when I can flip open my 3DS and start playing straight away, for any period of time including just a few minutes. Not to mention I can do this anywhere, not only on my couch.

My consoles only get used for local co-op play and for the occasional bit of Zelda or Bayonetta etc. All of which is to say that I like my Dragon Quest right where it is and has been for a decade: on portable machines.

Squire

Banned
Well, of course, japanese gamers would buy a 360 if Dragon Quest was there.
The problem isn't getting better PS4 sales, it's to stabilize them afterwards. Anyway, this should be in a Media Create thread.
For the west, even if I don't think Sony will help or pay for the localization, pretty sure their help will be on the marketing side, like for IX or MonHun for Nintendo. Doubt it will do anything for the franchise (after Nintendo's efforts...), but hey, who knows.

On another related topic, I just hope that people would finally think it's S-E's job to localize their own games, not complain about Sony or Nintendo when this doesn't happen.

There's a certain appeal that DQXI is going to have that IX wouldn't no matter you advertised it. I mean, when I was 12, RPGs were definitely my favorite genre, but aside from that DQVIII looked incredible in terms of both the art and the scale. This game is going to look great in commercials with minimal effort. It'll be footage and a PS bump at the end ("Greatness Awaits" yadda yadda). Handheld games can't really do that, which is why you end up with adds featuring Kate Hudson, Robin Williams, etc. Thry better communicate that the games are fun. DQXI can probably coast off its graphics.

This is of course all assuming they advertise it though. We know how VIII actually sold. I know I only knew about it because I read EGM and had been for 2-3 years at that point.

To your second point: people give SE every criticism they deserve and then some.

Top Bottom