• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

xevis

Banned
lol you turn on the TV and Suspend/Resume has you playing in a matter of seconds. Talk about one of the funny over-dramatic explanations I have read in some time -_-

AFAIK, my WiiU doesn't have any suspend/resume feature and I don't own (or want) any Sony or Microsoft machines. The overhead involved in cold booting the home consoles I do have is, imo, just too high for short play sessions. If you find it reasonable to spend a couple of minutes setting up so you can play for 15-20 mins, fine. For me, a 10% overhead is too much of a PITA. Unless I can play for at least an hour I don't bother. Did I also mention that I like to play my RPGs in small bursts and on the go? Perhaps you missed that. Geez.

Considering the game already has clear differences in design - 3D not having random battles for starters - I don't know how you'd keep that up for the whole duration of a 40h+ RPG

Aye, while it's a really cool feature, it is quite gimmicky. So having it for the duration of the entire game may be a bit strange. I imagine most people would settle on the style they preferred to play it in after 5-10 hours anyway.

crinale

apparently some blogs mentioned that for 3ds ones, you need to pick either 2d or 3d after the early game part... hmmm (can someone with better jp skills check it)

Scan says even scenes are synchronized (top part with actual polygon chars interacting) while bottom shows classical sprite-based cut scene plays, but that is for beginning part of the game only.

Edit: I saw Horii's comment too and it's not limited to cut scenes. However once you choose 2D or 3D you can always switch over.
It's just simultaneous gameplay that lasts for only beginning part of the game. So you'll be a little disappointed if you were curious how simultaneous 2D & 3D would continue throughout the game (because it won't)

Scan says even scenes are synchronized (top part with actual polygon chars interacting) while bottom shows classical sprite-based cut scene plays, but that is for beginning part of the game only.

Edit: I saw Horii's comment too and it's not limited to cut scenes. However once you choose 2D or 3D you can always switch over.
It's just simultaneous gameplay that lasts for only beginning part of the game. So you'll be a little disappointed if you were curious how simultaneous 2D & 3D would continue throughout the game (because it won't)

It's sad :(

i think everybody were thinking it will be the case for the entire game...

Well, if that is true ... bummer ... really ... but if you can freely switch between 3D and 2D on the fly ... a small bummer.

So, still Double Dip, still big want for the 3DS version in the west!

AFAIK, my WiiU doesn't have any suspend/resume feature and I don't own (or want) any Sony or Microsoft machines. The overhead involved in cold booting the home consoles I do have is, imo, just too high for short play sessions. If you find it reasonable to spend a couple of minutes setting up so you can play for 15-20 mins, fine. For me, a 10% overhead is too much of a PITA. Unless I can play for at least an hour I don't bother. Did I also mention that I like to play my RPGs in small bursts and on the go? Perhaps you missed that. Geez.
The last part is fine and could have been the real reason. It's fine to want to play on the go. The point is that time is not an issue if you have a PS4.

Peltz

I really like that the 3DS version is polygonal on the top screen with mirrored SNES-like graphics on the bottom screen. It's cool.

Edit: oh I see it's only for the beginning of the game :-/

rpmurphy

Going by the scan, it appears that the PS4 version has battles similar to DQ10. Very cool and also kinda expected.
By similar to DQX do you mean player-controlled movement on the battlefield or just meaning having the battle on-field rather than in an arena?

Not having the 3DS version remain divided for the whole game is a good thing since that way the games don't have to be contrived in a way they play the exactly same, level design and all.

This basically means we're getting 3 DQXI games, not 2.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Mmh. After all, it doesn't sound that bad, since you can switch between 2D and 3D on the fly, even if having the possibility of playing the entire game with the two "eras" simultaneously would've been fantastic.

Aeana

By similar to DQX do you mean player-controlled movement on the battlefield or just meaning having the battle on-field rather than in an arena?

This.

From what I see there's no indication if you can move your characters during battle.

I'm speculating based on the perspective and the UI being similar to DQ10. And the dev being from DQ10, as well. There's no indication that there's free movement for sure yet.

I'm speculating based on the perspective and the UI being similar to DQ10. And the dev being from DQ10, as well. There's no indication that there's free movement for sure yet.

If it's not turn based I'm really gonna need the 3DS version to come out in America.
:/

Bladenic

Personally I'd prefer it if you can switch between 3D and 2D, and that's awesome cuz it's like 2 games (plus the PS4 version so 3 versions :O)

welp. guess i will only play 1 version then.

I'm still amazed it takes you a couple of minutes to get a game started. That's all I'm saying. The pick up and play ability isn't that bad on home consoles apart from the fact it's not mobile.

I can turn my PS4 on cold and be in a game of Rocket League in 40 seconds max.

As I stated earlier as well, I'm glad you and I can experience this game however we please. I'm just really baffled by the fact it takes minutes to get a game going for you.

rpmurphy

Ah, ok. If the goal is to bring the game back to its single-player roots, then it would be rather odd to use DQX's battle system. Having the option to use full-party controls rather than only AI team members would be something that players are probably expecting.

I'm still amazed it takes you a couple of minutes to get a game started. That's all I'm saying. The pick up and play ability isn't that bad on home consoles apart from the fact it's not mobile.

I can turn my PS4 on cold and be in a game of Rocket League in 40 seconds max.

As I stated earlier as well, I'm glad you and I can experience this game however we please. I'm just really baffled by the fact it takes minutes to get a game going for you.
well he doesn't have a ps4...so

Ah, ok. If the goal is to bring the game back to its single-player roots, then it would be rather odd to use DQX's battle system. Having the option to use full-party controls rather than only AI team members would be something that players are probably expecting.
Switching characters should be as simple as pressing shoulder buttons or opening a menu, I don't expect AI only teammates at all.

rpmurphy

Having free movement does not make it less turn based you know
If it is just for cosmetic reasons and not because it is a key element to some aspect of the battle system, I think there's not much reason to have free movement since it would be a distraction. DQX's free movement was not purely cosmetic.

Wow, that's a bummer. Not sure why they can't do synchronized gameplay for entire game.

OmegaDL50

It could be similar to how it was done in DQIX, still menu input but the characters run around during combat.

I mean that could throw people off and assume it's free form movement during combat when it's just automated animations like it was in IX.

Kazer

I'm actually OK with this. Having both 2D and 3D versions on all the time is a waste of a screen.

fates

As long as you can switch then that's cool. It would be weird if they have this two screen thing going for the intro parts of the game and then say "hey pick one and stick with it now".

Then again, I still think its odd it doesn't carry through the whole game, if that's true.

I'm actually OK with this. Having both 2D and 3D versions on all the time is a waste of a screen.

Yeah, I'd much rather pick one (I'll go with the SNES style for sure) and not have to look at the other style. As much as that one video is a neat demonstration, the idea of seeing two overworlds at once, but I'm only looking at one, seems silly.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like they're going to port that 2D stuff to mobile at some point. It just seems like a cheap way to do it while keeping the 3DS version unique with the DQ9-like style on a handheld.

Clunker

Being able to switch on the fly or in menu like the Monkey Island remakes or Halo Anniversary sounds perfectly fine. The novelty of that simultaneous 2D/3D look was cool but honestly keeping it up for the entire game seemed a little strange.

Man, I need this on 3DS. Come onnnnnnnnn Western localization announcement. :(

e_i

The 2 screen showing the same thing but in different graphics on the 3DS is going to annoy the crap out of me. PS4 version.

As little information as we have about how the 3DS version synchs the 3D and 2D versions, it's hard to know whether maintaining that feature for a full game is realistic or even desirable. Still pretty cool to be able to have a 2D option.

Clunker

The 2 screen showing the same thing but in different graphics on the 3DS is going to annoy the crap out of me. PS4 version.
As we're just discussing on [edit: the previous!] page, it's apparently not for the entire game - only the prologue/initial opening of the game. After that it's set to one with the option to swap.

Koozek

1. Nintendo has already went on record saying that Zelda U is still Wii U-bound.
  2. Nintendo usually sticks with their own engines, & they have no reason to switch.
On-topic, will the DQX PS4/NX ports come out at the same time as their respective versions of DQXI?

I was only joking, especially regarding UE4. That would be pretty strange to see from Nintendo. But hey, you never know. A year ago nobody would have believed they'd make mobile games.
It will be cross-gen, though, that's 100%.
---

Any news about DQXI's battle-system on PS4? Seperate battle-screen?

Shahed

The toggle for the 3DS version sounds good. It's what I would have wanted. As for the PS4 version, I hope it's always 3rd person. Call it irrational, but I've got a general dislike of anything 1st person unless it's a visual novel like 999.

Top Bottom