• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 30th Anniversary Project Presentation set for January 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Quest I-III Collection, worlwide release Winter 2016

Dragon Quest V PS2 Remastered (V has come to), worldwide release Spring 2015

Dragon Quest VIII HD, worldwide release Summer 2016

Dragon Quest XI, worldwide release Fall 2016.

Dragon Quest 1-3 collection exists in numerous forms

Also a remaster of a remake? We going in deep.

I'm not sure why most of you are rooting for an HD VIII when the 3ds version has just come out. If there's anything that's not happening, it's this one.

Honestly they already have a bunch of DQ games that have captured my interest (Heroes II, Joker 3, Builders, XI obviously) so new info on those would be fine.

But a part of me internally wishes for some sort of VI remake.

Exciting news...I suppose more XI news is a given since the game is part of the 30th anniversary. A proper trailer (with new party members !) would be awesome !

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Chances for getting DQVIII on PS4 via PS2 emulation ?

I can't stop thinking about this, myself. I think a full HD remaster is incredibly unlikely given the 3DS release, but I'm not interested in that version, so this is the best I can hope for.

Ōkami

Some sort of port or remake of DQ I -III for the 3SD doesn't seem that crazy to me.

If SE were to do that then all main games would be playable on the system.

Even VC rereleases of the FC or GBC versions would be pretty cool.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm not sure why most of you are rooting for an HD VIII when the 3ds version has just come out. If there's anything that's not happening, it's this one.

Because compared to the obvious proposition of an HD, 5.1 sound remaster, the 3DS port is pure ass. Straight up filthy, festering ass.

kagamin

Because compared to the obvious proposition of an HD, 5.1 sound remaster, the 3DS port is pure ass. Straight up filthy, festering ass.

I can understand if you're disappointed that you don't get to (big spoilers for 3DS version)
marry Jessica as an option
in the PS2 version, but if you're extremely dissatisfied you can always emulate the PS2 version on PC?

AgeEighty

I'd love to see a collection happen. They could easily fit all nine single-player main entries on one PS4 disc. Hell, I'd even buy them individually as downloads, as long as they're good versions and not just mobile ports or something.

Since when does the likelihood of something happening affect how badly people want it? Expressing a desire for something potentially makes it more likely; these guys do pay attention to fan noise to an extent. And I for one would kill for an HD remaster of VIII.

alf717

Wouldn't mind seeing Dragon Warrior I to IV hit the Virtual Console for the US that would be nice and the GB/GBC titles on 3DS.

Arkeband

Banned
I'd reasonably expect:

Stuff we know about:
  • Dragon Quest Builders DLC/pre-release hype stuff
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 2 gameplay and hero reveals (Hassan/Carver, Maribel + more)
  • Dragon Quest XI trailer with some basic gameplay.
  • Dragon Quest Monster Joker 3 (now with even more super cool headphones)

New Stuff:
  • Ports of 1-3 to VC or even Steam (considering XI is looking to channel that trilogy)
  • Some kind of Dragon Quest crossover game.

Dragon Quest needs wider appeal. With 'retro' still riding high for PC gaming and the games being limited to either "expensive" mobile phone ports or a small supply of DS game cartridges, porting the games to Steam with achievements would likely be a huge success. Additionally, Nintendo needs a larger RPG presence on its VC. This would provide a fairly strong baseline for the NX to adopt the VC catalogue.

The definitive version of DQVIII was released just a few months ago in Japan so it'd be weird to announce a HD version of the original game for PS4 slated for a possibly 2016 release. DQV HD seems more likely, given also the PS2 release.

Btw, I'm expecting more details of the 3DS version which might well be released in 2016, with the PS4 being pushed to 2017.

Mix

HHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG

I need all of it, every project they talk about, I need it here in my blood as soon as they fucking can

DKHF

Chances for getting DQVIII on PS4 via PS2 emulation ?
Unless there is some kind of rights issue I don't see why they shouldn't. It would be a good way to raise awareness for DQ in the west outside of the musou games before DQ XI comes over eventually.

AgeEighty

The definitive version of DQVIII was released just a few months ago in Japan so it'd be weird to announce a HD version of the original game for PS4 slated for a possibly 2016 release. DQV HD seems more likely, given also the PS2 release.

I don't know if I'd call a version that's that big of a graphical step down "definitive". Or any portable version of a console RPG, really. Some of us just prefer to play a game of that scope on a television.

And truthfully, DQVIII isn't that challenging of a game to get looking good in HD. Even with the limited improvements implemented in PSX2, it looks almost like an HD remake (except for the nasty rasterized stuff like text and sprites).

Since when does the likelihood of something happening affect how badly people want it? Expressing a desire for something potentially makes it more likely; these guys do pay attention to fan noise to an extent. And I for one would kill for an HD remaster of VIII.

There's believing something might be likely to happen, and then there's setting yourself up for disappointment. If we disregard all likelihood then I'd like my Chrono Trigger remake too.

8 just got a 3ds version. It's very unlikely as a business tactic that they will return to it because some people overseas don't want to play it on a smaller screen.

sörine

Banned
Seems like we need Aeana to get in here and lay down the law on the DQVIII 3DS misinformation campaign. Again.

I don't really understand why people seem so insistant on spreading FUD on this version? It's a minor visual downgrade and multiple significant story, audio and gameplay upgrades.

Eolz

sörine;188438276 said:
Seems like we need Aeana to get in here and lay down the law on the DQVIII 3DS misinformation campaign. Again.

I don't really understand why people seem so insistant on spreading FUD on this version? It's a minor visual downgrade and multiple significant story, audio and gameplay upgrades.

People really wanted that HD remake. Some people just were always saying "downgrade!" and worse after that reveal sadly.

Is this really misinformation? Just looks to me like there's a lot of people where the minor graphical difference means everything and overrides all the other improvements that makes it better to actually play.

Not that I can really comprehend that mindset, especially coming from a Dragon Quest fan. What was their reaction to Dragon Quest 7's graphics when it came out? Heh

Ayyy 2016. Now they can talk about NX. If Nintendo doesn't mention it before the 13th... well, that hasn't stopped Square before.

Is this really misinformation? Just looks to me like there's a lot of people where the minor graphical difference means everything and overrides all the other improvements that makes it better to actually play.

Not that I can really comprehend that mindset, especially coming from a Dragon Quest fan. What was their reaction to Dragon Quest 7's graphics when it came out? Heh
Many DQVIII fans are DQVIII-only fans and not fans of the series in general. A large part of it is due to the visuals and presentation. It's pretty easy to see why many would rather have just the PS2 version upscaled in HD than the fundamentally improved, but visually inferior, 3DS version.

I remember the first time reading about DQ in nintendo power I thought it was so cool that people would line up to buy a game.

jMYXe8W.jpg

I still have that issue. I got the first DragonQuest(warrior) from a nintendo power subscription

I'd reasonably expect:

New Stuff:
  • Ports of 1-3 to VC or even Steam (considering XI is looking to channel that trilogy)
  • Some kind of Dragon Quest crossover game.

Im a pc gamer these days, i just want DQ on steam now, SE has brought Final Fantasy over, now its time for DQ. I am hoping for a steam announcement for 11, but considering SE is still playing the old "lets announce six months after console release game" i dont see it happening yet.

DQ Heroes was a pleasant surprise though and it makes me hopeful.

I don't know if I'd call a version that's that big of a graphical step down "definitive". Or any portable version of a console RPG, really. Some of us just prefer to play a game of that scope on a television.

And truthfully, DQVIII isn't that challenging of a game to get looking good in HD. Even with the limited improvements implemented in PSX2, it looks almost like an HD remake (except for the nasty rasterized stuff like text and sprites).

DQVIII 3D has so many improvements and additions that the minor graphical downgrade becomes a non-issue. Of course, if what you care the most is graphics, than DQVIII 3D is the worst version ever (even though it doesn't perform that bad compared to DQVIII PS2 running on PS2); if, instead, you care about gameplay and game contents, there's just no comparison.

Here are the changes and improvements with respect to the original version:

• Fully voiced in Japanese for the first time.
  • Orchestrated soundtrack.
  • Instant alchemy pot, with new recipes.
  • Much faster battles than the original version's, including a new high speed mode.
  • Visible enemies on the field.
  • New story and scenarios.
  • Geruda/Red and Morrie are now available as playable characters.
  • New weapon types and skills.
  • Visible equipment options for all characters.
  • Brand new sprawling dungeons with new enemies and bosses, including a new post-game dungeon.
  • New monsters, and new ranks in the battle arena.
  • New photo mode, including the ability to compose photos with stamps and send them to other players. There's a whole new quest system centered around taking photos.
  • Streetpass features using the photos from above.

I'm on board for everything that isn't Heroes, so really looking forward to this event. Everything I've seen from Builders is pretty and great, looks like the kind of thing that can suck me in for hours, and more main series games/remasters/remakes/ports are always welcome. Love me some hours spent hunting metal.

Maybe I'm weird, but Dragon Quest doesn't really feel Dragon Quest-y without classic controls/controllers? I got the I, II, III, and IV iOS versions, but they don't "feel" as nice to play. Still have nice, working DS/PS/PS2 versions of V, VI, VII, VIII and IX. IX would be pretty great on phones if they kept the online/multiplayer aspects, now that I think about it. Pretty much the only series where I will go out of my way to own multiple working copies of functional games.

Definitely all in on VII and VIII for 3DS. So glad these are officially on the table. That's what I'm interested in seeing the most right now, and more XI details, though another Anniversary Collection would be very sweet. More Mori Mori would be grand (best spinoff so far, imo), and maybe putting the Monsters games on the localization potential after positive reactions to VII and VIII confirmation? No real speculation, just hopes and dreams!

sörine;188438276 said:

Where is the FUD you are talking about on that thread ? I've read the first page, and I just saw people wanting a HD remaster or a PS2--->PS4 emulation of the game, but no one seemed to spit on the 3DS port ?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Where is the FUD you are talking about on that thread ? I've read the first page, and I just saw people wanting a HD remaster or a PS2--->PS4 emulation of the game, but no one seemed to spit on the 3DS port ?

Japan was the target market of the port and the November Direct plus the last several Dragon Quest DS releases imply that Nintendo is helping this port even leave Japan.

Portbegging isn't going to do anything.

Arzehn

Didn't verendus tease that there is a remake of a dq game coming? Hopefully they show it, but maybe it's too soon with all these other games still coming.

KiTA

Didn't verendus tease that there is a remake of a dq game coming? Hopefully they show it, but maybe it's too soon with all these other games still coming.

What remake could it be?

DQ7, 8 have gotten them recently.
DQ 1, 2, 3 got mobile remakes recently.
DQ 4, 5, 6 got remakes for the DS, it's a bit early for those.
DQ9 isn't getting a remake for a while I imagine.

My guess? Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart. But with Joker 3 coming that's unlikely.

Maybe a Dragon Quest X Vita port? Maybe a Dragon Quest X expansion? Perhaps one with a lot of fanservice content -- return to Tantegel and play through a bunch of DQ1 content in X, for example?

Dark_castle

DQVIII 3D has so many improvements and additions that the minor graphical downgrade becomes a non-issue. Of course, if what you care the most is graphics, than DQVIII 3D is the worst version ever (even though it doesn't perform that bad compared to DQVIII PS2 running on PS2); if, instead, you care about gameplay and game contents, there's just no comparison.

Here are the changes and improvements with respect to the original version:

• Fully voiced in Japanese for the first time.
  • Orchestrated soundtrack.
  • Instant alchemy pot, with new recipes.
  • Much faster battles than the original version's, including a new high speed mode.
  • Visible enemies on the field.
  • New story and scenarios.
  • Geruda/Red and Morrie are now available as playable characters.
  • New weapon types and skills.
  • Visible equipment options for all characters.
  • Brand new sprawling dungeons with new enemies and bosses, including a new post-game dungeon.
  • New monsters, and new ranks in the battle arena.
  • New photo mode, including the ability to compose photos with stamps and send them to other players. There's a whole new quest system centered around taking photos.
  • Streetpass features using the photos from above.

DQVIII 3DS is a better version because it has playable Mr. Satan.

What remake could it be?

My guess? Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart. But with Joker 3 coming that's unlikely.

Maybe a Dragon Quest X Vita port? Maybe a Dragon Quest X expansion? Perhaps one with a lot of fanservice content -- return to Tantegel and play through a bunch of DQ1 content in X, for example?

DQ5 remaster of the PS2 remake?

Oregano

What remake could it be?

I think if there was a chance of a Vita port it would have been announced with the NX and PS4 versions.

DQ5 remaster of the PS2 remake?

DQ Swords remake for PS VR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom