• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders | Import OT| - Home wasn't built in a day.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
2TWpz3B.png

oASGYr3.png

ZvNyXR5.png

Title: Dragon Quest Builders
Platform: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita (Not PSVTV Compatible)
Release Date: 01-28-2016 (JPN)
Genre: Block Make RPG
Publisher: Square Enix
Player(s): 1 / [ONLINE: Supported] Player(s): 1
CERO: A (All Ages)
Price:
PlayStation 4: Physical / Download 7,800 JPY (w/o tax)
PlayStation 3: Physical / Download 6,800 JPY (w/o tax)
PlayStation Vita: Physical / Download 5,980 JPY (w/o tax)

j4HCrA7.png

• Selectable Male or Female Protagonist. Hair / Eye / Skin color is customizable.
    GgtiaT2.png
  • Story Mode & Free Build Mode. Details on these in the next section below Features.
  • Various materials to build with and items to craft for use and decoration.
    m49kWac.jpg
    507sGnE.jpg
    0QK3sSu.jpg
  • AI controlled NPCs that populate your settlements and perform various tasks dictated by the type of room you have created. Such as cooking, crafting, etc.
    xkajY28.png
  • Map based off of Dragon Quest 1.
  • Equipment is visually represented on your character in game.
    UiZ3K83.jpg
  • Different weapons to be used on different materials. Big Hammer Vs. Stone, Stone Axe vs. Tree.
    THzSxdp.jpg
    iExCL3B.jpg
    JZfD2nT.jpg
  • Large Boss fights.
    tbV0CnD.jpg
  • MINECARTS!
    KRs6xld.jpg
    QvQOZUK.jpg
*Credits to Gematsu

hLF8uHJ.png

• Story Mode - In Story Mode, you’ll build your own towns in order to revive the world devastated by The Dragonlord as you aim to defeat him. You’ll enjoy a Dragon Quest series story where you’ll meet and help out various unique characters, as well as battle many formidable foes.
    xF4x8tp.jpg
  • Free Build Mode - After you clear the first continent, an “Unknown Island” will appear, where you can freely build to your heart’s content in Free Build Mode. All the recipes acquire during Story Mode can be used freely here.
    Producers Comment Regarding Free Build Mode - “In Free Build mode, since the entire map is like a town, monsters won’t surface. If you want to battle monsters, you can go to the ‘The Island of Cleared Stage Materials’ or the ‘Battle Island,’ which will be a private island where you can fight. On Battle Island, you can get special rewards by using Battle Tickets.”
    hijpxY7.jpg
  • Home Area - In this area, in addition to being able to make things using any material, you can also upload or download buildings by connecting to PlayStation Network.
    rvFm6qv.jpg
  • Clearaed Continents Area - In this area, you can obtain the materials not obtainable in the Home Area. There are also monsters roaming this area, so you should also try to get the materials they’re holding.
    QDzPR4f.jpg
  • Battle Island Area - In this area, you can use a special ticket to battle against an army of monsters. If you win, you could obtain blueprints and recipes.
    smf2Buw.jpg
*Credits to Gematsu

IHAIemW.png

In regards to the demo version you do need a Japanese PSN account to download it. If you do not know how to set up one use google or youtube.
A demo for Dragon Quest Builders is now available for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in Japan. A PlayStation 3 demo is not planned for release.
The PlayStation 4 demo weighs in at 400mb, while the PS Vita demo is 173mb. Save data from the demo is not compatible with the full game.
*Credits to Gematsu

In regards to the demo version, it basically is the starting portion of the game on the very first continent you wake up on. You will know when you reach the end of the demo when the middle-aged looking bearded guy askes you to make a hammer and set up the portal to the next continent. If you try to use the portal the game will tell you this is the end of the demo then just take you back to the game and continue playing on the starting continent.

aG2tLDB.png

Opening Trailer
Short Gameplay - Building using Blueprints.
Gameplay + JP Commentary 1HR+ long
Gameplay + JP Commentary 2HR~ long
Gameplay + JP Commentary 55mins~ long
Gameplay + JP Commentary 1HR+ long
Green Dragon Fight
My first town Castle

YpZZIbh.png

#-1:
Q: Does this game have multiplayer?
A: No.

#0:
Q: Any word on localization for the West?
A: "Dragon Quest Builders is coming to PS4 & PS Vita on October 11th (NA) and October 14th (EU), 2016!"

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: From my time spent with the demo, this apparently is a "building" game first, along the lines of minecraft with the Dragon Quest style painted over it. This game does not have normal "leveling" in the sense where defeating monsters gives exp, though they do drop resources used for various things. Your HP is augmented by special items gained as rewards or found. And the only real level system seems to be for your towns, as with each completed room you build you are awarded points. At the same time though, the points can be taken away if the room is "broken". It might sound confusing but once you get playing it should make sense.
In short though, just do not expect this to be an Action RPG in the normal sense.

#2:
Q: Do I need to know Japanese to play this game?
A: Seeing how folks were getting stuck in the demo which is the start of the game, I would say that reading would be suggested, even more so since this game seems to be heavy on completing quests for the villagers to get new features in the game. But on the flip side there have been users who do not understand Japanese that seemed to do ok.

#3:
Q: Is there a First Person View for the game? I don't like the overhead look of the camera.
A: Unfortunately there is no FPV for the camera, let alone camera settings in general. Makes for navigation in any structure with a ceiling or low ceiling location such as a self dug tunnel a bit of a hassle as you need to move the camera around so that it will turn into a semi-behind the character view. Though other situations cause it to appear to be a first person view, but its more the camera has just moved into the characters head, due to the lack of space.

#4:
Q: Is there a mode where I can just chill and build stuff and not have to worry about the story / quests?
A: Yep its called "Free Build Mode" Official answer on that is as follows from the games producer Fujimoto-san, “In Free Build mode, since the entire map is like a town, monsters won’t surface. If you want to battle monsters, you can go to the ‘The Island of Cleared Stage Materials’ or the ‘Battle Island,’ which will be a private island where you can fight. On Battle Island, you can get special rewards by using Battle Tickets.”

#5:
Q: How long is this game?
A: The games producer said about 50-60 to beat the main game without doing extra stuff, fully exploring and doing as much of the games content would easily take 100 hours.

#6:
Q: In story mode I don't have access to a lot of things to build, what gives?
A: If the demo was any indication, you learn new recipes by advancing the story and doing quests for the villagers in your town.

#7:
Q: Are there any official review scores out?
A: Dragon Quest Builders PS4 / PS3 / PSV – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]
*Credits to Gematsu

#8:
Q: Is there a list for the trophies?
A: Thanks to Cmagus below. Although the trophy descriptions are in Japanese.
Here is the trophy list. I did a quick google translate on them and they seem rather easy.

Dragon Quest Builders - Trophy List

cOBUcy7.png

AmiAmi
Nippon-Yasan
CD Japan
HMV Japan
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are just the most common ones members frequently speak of when it comes to online import shops and these links are for the
convenience of the members who are still interested in importing the Japanese version of the game. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

CDRrsMq.png

• Thanks goes out to Square Enix for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
  • Thanks goes out to Gematsu for the informational resources found within this OT.
  • Thanks goes out to Nicole Bachman for the Arcade Boxes font.
  • Thanks goes out to DaFont.com website for having an awesome selection of fonts to download and use.

Parakeetman

Will see what else I can add tonight as need to rack out already. So for now just put up with whats currently available lol.

Wont be getting to these till tomorrow late evening. So recorded footage for the PS4 version by me will be off the table for a while. Saturday most likely.

Parakeetman

Yeah folks who are not familiar with Japanese might as well wait since there is a PS4 version would reckon that SQEX will be bringing that one to the West at least.

Great OT! Had a lot of fun in the demo. However, too much text so I'll wait for localization.

Thanks!

Really liked the demo. Will wait for an English release, though.

The demo did give a pretty good example of what the game would be like and was nice that it didnt just cut the player off once you reached the "end" of it. So you could keep messing around in the starting area as much as you wanted which was nice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered this on PSN for PS4 after playing the demo. Really loved how it played.

The Vita demo was also very impressive.

Parakeetman

Are the non story worlds randomly generated?

Am not sure on that actually. Since all that was said from an interview was the following.
“In Free Build mode, since the entire map is like a town, monsters won’t surface. If you want to battle monsters, you can go to the ‘The Island of Cleared Stage Materials’ or the ‘Battle Island,’ which will be a private island where you can fight. On Battle Island, you can get special rewards by using Battle Tickets.”

Credits Gematsu

udivision

Huh, I always assumed multiplayer was in. I thought that was a big appeal for Minecraft with younger audiences... but I guess there seems to be enough content without it.

Sakura

Really enjoying it so far.
I made a room, put both the male and female signs in it, and it became a room for two. Then I assigned it to myself and Pirin :)

Cmagus

Nice OT, I can't wait for my copy to get here. I want to ask if I buy the digital version can I use it on my NA account.

zeorhymer

The visual is so jarring. The world is Minecraft blocky while the characters are super detailed. I like the idea of world building in a franchise. I wouldn't mind trying it when it comes out to the States.

Mepsi

Just tried the demo, I love love love this game. It has so much charm to it, I really hope it sees an English release some time in the future.

Kysen

I've put in over 5 hours into the demo, its that fun. Killing the dragon took me 3 in game days to kill, non stop jump attacks night and day from a pit. Gonna wait for more impressions before I put down the 8k yen.

Drjoker

Neo Member
For anyone that ordered from Play-Asia, has yours shipped yet? I bought the Asia version, so I'm guessing that's what the hold up is.

jtrov

Just got done putting in about 4 hours and I'm wishing I didn't have work so I could just keep going. Game is just flat out fun. Once you finally get passed the point in the demo it really opens up quite a bit as to what you can do in regards to the town.

Already ran into some strangers while venturing off on my own, and they've given me building schematics, or crafting materials. Found some hidden ruins and picked up a treasure map, so I can't wait to see where that leads. It's just a ton of fun scavenging the land and then returning home to help better the village. I hope the monster raids happen randomly at some point instead of being started via quest. I've been building up my defenses just in case.

Currently I'm stuck on two quests that involve building an item store and an armor store, but not matter how I construct it based on the items needed, I can't complete it. If anyone has gotten by that point, I'd appreciate a tip on how to actually construct them properly. Until then it's more scavenging for materials so our walls won't be made out of dirty.

Can't wait to return later tonight.

NesFe

Nice OT as always !

Played the demo for a couple of hours and then quickly deleted it, because I really liked it and the demo saves don't transfer. For those wondering, the game size is only 250 megabytes(vita digital version).

Anyways, can't wait to start playing. I do have to finish Odin Sphere first though.

Chocoboko

Nice OT. I played the demo for a good 10+ hours just messing around. Pre-ordered it soon after that. Can't wait to play through the full game. It's such a fun idea.

I am curious to try the different building mode.

I played the demo and loved it.

I've never played Minecraft, but I did see Japanese gamers complaining that the max height in the game is 31 blocks. Is this going to be a big deal?

Kalren

Just got done putting in about 4 hours and I'm wishing I didn't have work so I could just keep going. Game is just flat out fun. Once you finally get passed the point in the demo it really opens up quite a bit as to what you can do in regards to the town.

Already ran into some strangers while venturing off on my own, and they've given me building schematics, or crafting materials. Found some hidden ruins and picked up a treasure map, so I can't wait to see where that leads. It's just a ton of fun scavenging the land and then returning home to help better the village. I hope the monster raids happen randomly at some point instead of being started via quest. I've been building up my defenses just in case.

Currently I'm stuck on two quests that involve building an item store and an armor store, but not matter how I construct it based on the items needed, I can't complete it. If anyone has gotten by that point, I'd appreciate a tip on how to actually construct them properly. Until then it's more scavenging for materials so our walls won't be made out of dirty.

Can't wait to return later tonight.

This sounds great. I've been showing clips to my 8 year old for months now and we're both excited to play this. I really hope this gets a US release.

Chocoboko

For anyone that ordered from Play-Asia, has yours shipped yet? I bought the Asia version, so I'm guessing that's what the hold up is.

I also ordered mine from there. I got the asia version also but it hasn't shipped yet either. Hopefully soon!

Parakeetman

Man, I can't wait for this to come to NA, so I can gobble it up on my Vita.

Good job on the OT!

Nice OT, I can't wait for my copy to get here. I want to ask if I buy the digital version can I use it on my NA account.

Nice OT there buddy, good job.
BTW this game is amazing that I stayed up until now (3:30 am) haha.

Nice OT as always !

Played the demo for a couple of hours and then quickly deleted it, because I really liked it and the demo saves don't transfer. For those wondering, the game size is only 250 megabytes(vita digital version).

Anyways, can't wait to start playing. I do have to finish Odin Sphere first though.

Nice OT. I played the demo for a good 10+ hours just messing around. Pre-ordered it soon after that. Can't wait to play through the full game. It's such a fun idea.

I am curious to try the different building mode.

Thanks everyone!

Will be interesting to see what kind of stuff the other members here build. I wonder if anyone shelled out for that metal slime vita thing

Mepsi

Just got round to finishing the demo for this, I really enjoyed it and definitely want more. I'm thinking about importing this, however I have very very limited Japanese skills (I can read Hiragana and Katakana as well as about 70 Kanji, nothing special at all). Would it be worth going for an import or will the language barrier kill me in my tracks going further into the game?

FiraB

Banned
Great OT Parakeetman.

Really wish I could import this but my partner won't let me drop the coin on it considering its Japanese (in other words she wants to play it but she can't read the language). I loved the demo though, its so simple its brilliant and they'd be idiots not to localize and port it to PC.

Tanston

Super jealous of anyone who can read the language and gets to import/play this game. It looks fantastic, my hype level is through the roof for this. Not only does this look like a fantastic game that I myself want to play. I think this could be a great gateway game to get my minecraft obsessed son into RPGs.

Drjoker

Neo Member
I also ordered mine from there. I got the asia version also but it hasn't shipped yet either. Hopefully soon!
Yeah, I don't think the Asia version is even in stock yet at play-asia. I don't know about other import sites, but it's still listed as a preorder there. Whereas the Japanese version is out to buy.

Ah well. Nothing we can do but wait.

Sakura

Finished chapter 1, time for a break...
The boss is kind of hard if you don't know what you are doing.

Shenmue

Banned
This game looks so much more fun and endearing than Minecraft. I can't wait for it to get localized!

Multiplayer isn't for me, so I don't mind the lack of it at all.

This game looks so charming and fun. I'm bummed on the multiplayer since my 4-year-old son and I do co-op in Minecraft, Terraria, etc

Oh well. Hopefully this will appeal to him and maybe get him into DQ. He's been enjoying DQ5 (DS) so far.

Dazza

Just got round to finishing the demo for this, I really enjoyed it and definitely want more. I'm thinking about importing this, however I have very very limited Japanese skills (I can read Hiragana and Katakana as well as about 70 Kanji, nothing special at all). Would it be worth going for an import or will the language barrier kill me in my tracks going further into the game?

Seems to be about last couple years of primary school, so about 10-12 years old. The kanji doesn't have the hiragana above it, at least in the demo it didn't. It's a pity because my 8 year old likes it, but she can't read all the kanji yet

Mepsi

Seems to be about last couple years of primary school, so about 10-12 years old. The kanji doesn't have the hiragana above it, at least in the demo it didn't. It's a pity because my 8 year old likes it, but she can't read all the kanji yet

Yeah I was a bit bummed out about the lack of Furigana in the demo, however I'm not too bothered about being able to follow the story until I can actually get my ass into gear and learn the language properly or an English localization comes out. Just as long as it's playable with very limited reading ability, the demo did seem to be, but I don't know if the full game would bite me in the ass over this.

Top Bottom