• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders | Import OT| - Home wasn't built in a day.

Kanann

Is the story engaging? Is there a lot of 'go here kill this', 'bring me 10 of these' kinda things?

engaging in DQB mean "what da hell do you need this time?!"

build this, this, this, and THIS
gather that
bring he, she, it to me

but I'm very satisfy

jtrov

Stayed up much of the night and finished up Stage 1. The boss fight was quite clever and pretty intense as his abilities are pretty devastating to your village. Now that Stage 1 is cleared, it's time to start a new Village in this depressing swamp and marsh infested land. You lose all your items and given some basic equipment at the start, which I'm fine with as there are many new items, monsters, and minerals to make many new crafts and builds.

Also unlocked the Free Mode after completing the first stage. However, is there a free mode where you can freely build, but with the threat of monsters? Obviously you can do that in the story mode, but I'm hoping it's possible without the narrative much like in Minecraft where you are constantly venturing off looking for items and surviving the night.

Cmagus

So has anyone bought this digitally? If so can it be played on a NA account once purchased from the JP account or is it locked to the JP account. My copy probably isn't gonna arrive till mid next week so I was thinking of getting it digitally.

jtrov

So has anyone bought this digitally? If so can it be played on a NA account once purchased from the JP account or is it locked to the JP account. My copy probably isn't gonna arrive till mid next week so I was thinking of getting it digitally.

Had this game preordered digitally and I've been playing on my NA account ever since it unlocked. No issues what so ever.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Totally stuck on making a hammer. I've gone through the portal, saved the dude in the horned helm (forgot his name), talked to all the creatures to get recipes that lead to the hammer, and killed the giant scorpion.

Where do I go from here?? I feel like I've done all I can here but still no hammer recipe.

EDIT: repaired the chief's roof and it did nothing, unless. I'm doing it wrong. I'm using the mats he asked me to use.

2nd edit: god I feel stupid. I had to look down and inset the tiles.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Y'all got any of them ignots?

Seriously though, this game has a hold on me fierce. I stopped after getting the red portal and access to the desert (shitloads of ore). Covered my whole camp in brick and floors of stone. Have a fully functioning eatery and a 3 treasure chest room that sometimes spawns mimics. I am basically forcing myself to go to bed at this point.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Seriously though, this game has a hold on me fierce. I stopped after getting the red portal and access to the desert (shitloads of ore). Covered my whole camp in brick and floors of stone. Have a fully functioning eatery and a 3 treasure chest room that sometimes spawns mimics. I am basically forcing myself to go to bed at this point.

How far can you dig down? Any hidden caves down there?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Totally stuck on making a hammer. I've gone through the portal, saved the dude in the horned helm (forgot his name), talked to all the creatures to get recipes that lead to the hammer, and killed the giant scorpion.

Where do I go from here?? I feel like I've done all I can here but still no hammer recipe.

EDIT: repaired the chief's roof and it did nothing, unless. I'm doing it wrong. I'm using the mats he asked me to use.

2nd edit: god I feel stupid. I had to look down and inset the tiles.

I fell off from there and died once that was interesting lol. Wasnt looking at the screen while placing blocks on the top and wheeeee off I went. Fall damage is brutal in this game :D I wonder if eventually there will be an item or equipment that will help negate that.

Seriously with all the mining Im doing am just totally wrecking that countryside of the 2nd continent lol. I think the only raised piece of terrain that is left standing when Im done is going to be the "tower" that the elder monster is in.

Best thing about the game is that massive storage chest that automatically teleports junk to and you can take things out and put them in at your leisure. Really great stuff with that. Looks cool too.

Parakeetman

It's the first thing I'd do. I also want to know if everyone gets a different seed. These two questions will decide on the purchase for me.

Dont think so, since the producer said the world is based off of Dragon Quest 1.

There is an accessory that makes fall damage 0.

Nice Ill have to get to that point later. Since really could use one with how much I keep jumping off of things.

Sakura

It's the first thing I'd do. I also want to know if everyone gets a different seed. These two questions will decide on the purchase for me.

The world in the demo and retail game were exactly the same.
I don't know if the non-main story modes are any different as I haven't played them.

KurisuKaatsu

Neo Member
I don't know if the non-main story modes are any different as I haven't played them.

I disagree, there were "slight" differences between my Demo and Retail game which makes me believe why the save file wouldn't be compatible. As for identical seeds, I've also noticed that certain aspects of quests were randomized. For example, the mallet quest where you have to cover his roof, I've seen him in different locations for different gamers. While the world is VERY similar, I think there are slight changes.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Dont think so, since the producer said the world is based off of Dragon Quest 1.

Oh, well that's slightly disappointing for me. The two things I love about Minecraft is digging down and finding hidden caves, caverns and mines and being able to load the game up again with a completely different terrain.

Sakura

I disagree, there were "slight" differences between my Demo and Retail game which makes me believe why the save file wouldn't be compatible. As for identical seeds, I've also noticed that certain aspects of quests were randomized. For example, the mallet quest where you have to cover his roof, I've seen him in different locations for different gamers. While the world is VERY similar, I think there are slight changes.

There was a specific area in the demo where certain blocks were located underground.
I went to the same area in the retail version and the exact same blocks where there once I dug under ground a bit.
Chests etc all seem to be in the same place.
Maybe there is a bit of randomization, but I would say for all intents and purposes it is the same seed.

Parakeetman

Oh, well that's slightly disappointing for me. The two things I love about Minecraft is digging down and finding hidden caves, caverns and mines and being able to load the game up again with a completely different terrain.

I would imagine it was done due to the game having a story so they wanted to make sure things were in a set location.

Perhaps the 2nd game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I would imagine it was done due to the game having a story so they wanted to make sure things were in a set location.

Perhaps the 2nd game.

How would that effect being able to dig down though? As far as story goes, surely they could have set locations but place them in between randomly generated terrain?

Parakeetman

How would that effect being able to dig down though? As far as story goes, surely they could have set locations but place them in between randomly generated terrain?

Various other obvious factors, development schedule, if they had actual people who were able to do up such code with the system they wanted to create etc. List goes on.

Digging down no idea how deep it goes. That and its not like the camera is really made for being "under" something structure wise.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Various other obvious factors, development schedule, if they had actual people who were able to do up such code with the system they wanted to create etc. List goes on.

Digging down no idea how deep it goes. That and its not like the camera is really made for being "under" something structure wise.

It was the camera that made me start to wonder. I think it's a flat base and you can dig down but only through everything that's above that flat base. So you'll be able to dig down through a mountain but only dig down about 2 or 3 blocks at ground level. I guess hidden cave systems aren't going to feature then and I doubt the world is going to be Minecraft sized.

Parakeetman

Am amusing myself finding more resources and continuing to build up my town. Though now am all obsessed with changing out the walls from dirt to brick. This is going to take a while as got some hard to reach places. But thank god that SQEX made these as its far better than the shit I used to have to do in minecraft which was literally break down everything then re-lay the new materials. Although am a bit concerned of wasting resources doing this. Mainly coal. D:

Great game, most def will see 100+ hours vanishing like nothing at this rate.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, I'm so glad I started checking my recipe list to see what I can make. I was totally stumped on how to make my next set of things, and it turns out I have to make a hearth.

Btw, anyone looking for ore to make brick walls and Spike traps, there's tons of ore in the grassy crater near the spawn in the first place you spawn to. Plenty of iron and bronze.

wapplew

Chinese version release at 28th April. West need to show support if we want English version release sooner.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, this is a pretty good game. It's you compare it directly with other survival craft games it's lacking in some areas, but it's a unique enough arpg/crafting blend that it's really doing its own thing and it works.

I do wish the game had a few more stats, just to make it more rpg like. Like it'd be nice if your character leveled up as you built stuff and not just increasing max HP through items and attack/def through creating new equipment. It'd just be window dressing, but it'd give it a bit more of a classic DQ feel.

Parakeetman

Oh man this is so stupid I did not try this out earlier but makes a HUGE diff for me esp with all the large scale building I do.

Holding down Triangle will allow you to continuously lay down objects. For myself material blocks in specific for when am making long sections of walls.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Wow. My son is going to LOVE this. He plays Minecraft like crazy and is in the middle of playing DQH. Hope it gets released in the U.S.

Parakeetman

Hmm thats not good. Filled up the massive storage chest. Time to start transferring things to the smaller ones instead. D:

thetrin

Cooper wants the knife ornament and the armor rack in the armor shop, but...how do I define something as an armor shop? I don't yet have a sign for that. :

EDIT: oh I had to place it in the girl's room. Forgot that was its name. I need to pay more attention to that.

Parakeetman

Cooper wants the knife ornament and the armor rack in the armor shop, but...how do I define something as an armor shop? I don't yet have a sign for that. :

cant help you there unfortunately instead of advancing things i filled the mass storage box to max with junk lol

&#931;(&#12494;&#1076;<)

Sakura

I assume you are on the first chapter right?
All you do is put the sword and armour rack in the clothes changing room.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't realise there was a demo up...and the fact that it's based on the original's world...*sniff* so many feels. This game looks great in videos, I'll check it out.

thetrin

I assume you are on the first chapter right?
All you do is put the sword and armour rack in the clothes changing room.

Thanks. Figured it out.

I...I can't stop. Got the whole town up to level 4 and all the walls to stone. Now I'm customizing more.

RootCause

I have enough money to get this from the psn store, but I'm not sure if I should get this. I wasn't a fan of minecraft, but that's because I'm not into for games that much.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Chinese version release at 28th April. West need to show support if we want English version release sooner.

Also, you can use the saves from the Japanese versions with the Chinese versions.

jtrov

The town in the first Chapter had such a jolly and cheerful tone to it... But this new town in the next chapter is so doom and gloom, with constant poison swamps and rainfall. I've befriended this Nun who is sending me out to find these sick townsfolk and ordering me to craft and feed them medicine as they lay their in our beds sick and poisoned. I've also welcomed this old grave keeper man who just looks so awesome... This game man.. This game... I knew I couldn't wait for it to be localized, it's just everything I hoped it would be. Minecraft like survival but wrapped up in a game Franchise I have way more love for.

When I'm not playing this game all I'm thinking about is what I need to do next and how I should continue to build my town. It's so damn addicting! Anyone know how many chapters / stages are in the game? Really hope beating the game unlocks a free mode with monsters without the restrictions of the story.

Parakeetman

What are the chances of this coming to the west?

In pretty much all of my JP related OTs that is either the first or second Q&A in the OP FAQ section.

#0:
Q: Any word on localization for the West?
A: While there has been no official announcement, one would imagine the PS4 version at least will be released in the West.

------------

In other useful news, for those who want to make cheaper produced materials for building such as brick or that stone wall generally used for barricades among other material types, the following works for any type of building material that you can make replacement walls with.

Heres a simple vid as an example. Faster than me explaining it. Will save folks resources thats for sure. Stone in particular.

https://youtu.be/y0lw2wSQBs0

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ehhh I wouldn't say that's very simple. Having to build those walls is probably a pain int he butt. So far I've been able to just make so many of those wall changer items that I just use it willy nilly.

Top Bottom