• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest press event to be held on 7/28 in Japan, livestreamed, "main series"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

Oh god I would love a new job system style with story beats like DQV, World Map of VIII, Map Encounters and Alchemy Pot like IX. Almost all my starting exposure to Dragon Quest series has been the job system games (3 GBC and 7PS1) so i really really want an expanded job system for VII and IX (don't know if X expanded it at all since I never got to play :()

Why are you trying to start this shit :(

Ooo, I never even considered what type of story structure it could have. I actually liked DQIV's chapter setup but I hear the prologue with your MC was new to the DS version. I'm not sure I'd want a straight repeat either.

Hugstable

Banned
Ooo, I never even considered what type of story structure it could have. I actually liked DQIV's chapter setup but I hear the prologue with your MC was new to the DS version. I'm not sure I'd want a straight repeat either.

Yeah that whole starting bit was brand new as was the post game, original DQIV on NES has you starting out with Ragnar

Eolz

It's not any different than usual. If all of the people who descend on Dragon Quest discussions to fantasize about it being on their favored platform would actually buy the games, it wouldn't be on such shaky ground in western markets to begin with.

Well said.
Will get regardless of the platform like I did for IX, and hope others will do the same, whether it's on their "favorite" platform or not.

rpmurphy

Nice, can't wait for the announcement. Although I wouldn't mind the game going back to a purely single-player game, I do hope there will be some social elements, since that was cool in IX.

rip this thread's longevity

Hugstable

Banned
Well said.
Will get regardless of the platform like I did for IX, and hope others will do the same, whether it's on their "favorite" platform or not.

Yup, I got pretty much all the platforms the game could show up on, but even if it showed up on something like an Xbox One or future NX, I would still start saving up for the system from the day of the annoucement. If you're a fan you will find a way to play the game and platform choice shouldn't be this big of a damn deal. It's so sad how fragmented the fanbase here in the west is

So they're probably going to unveil DQXI, but the real question is, which platform(s) will it be appearing on?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! Can you feel the tension in the air?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thank you for joining us at our event. We would like to announce that Dragon Quest I-III will be released on the Wii U virtual console in Japan. Finally Dragon Quest is back on the big screen! Thank you for your time. Bye bye."

Bruno MB

We need a photoshoper.

JqBCroc.jpg

Livestream will probably be at some unreasonable time in the early morning EST. Not sure I can justify staying up that late on a worknight.

In any case, exciting! Hope this turns out good.

Not surprised, of course, to see people more concerned about the platform rather than what the game actually is.

This is particularly where I feel DQVIII/IX were kind of step backs in a way. DQIV started with a unique hook to the overall game. The Chapter system was really unique in IV at the time, then in V the generations, and then VI dabbled with the two worlds and DQVII with time travel (not particularly a unique premise, but the way it was implemented felt distinct). DQVIII in comparison was fairly simple and straight forward in its own scenario structure and DQIX had that MMO-lite features interspersed in the adventure that otherwise felt more like a call back to DQIII than something with a strong identity of its own. Since we know this will be an offline single player experience, I'm hoping for a fresh premise that really shows, again, how unique the series is.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is the time, indeed. DQXI, it can't be anything else.

Cbajd5

have we considered the possibility it's for dragon quest heroes 3

they gotta keep up their pace with these

salromano

Revealed in the latest issue of Jump magazine alongside this week's DQ scoops (Hoshi no DQ and DQ Heroes II), Square Enix will be holding an event next week on 7/28 with a focus on the series. Jump is promising information on "that big title" in their 8/3 issue as well which seems to point to a Dragon Quest 11 announcement.

The scans says the event will be livestreamed so we'll likely hear official details soon.

Worth noting that there's a "finally" in there, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom