• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest press event to be held on 7/28 in Japan, livestreamed, "main series"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

The X team was internal IIRC what I read here a few weeks ago but that was like the only DQ with internal programming.

I guess level 5 is still a possibility. I hope for anyone who can nail that cel shaded look, we don't have enough cel shaded RPGs. I've said it before but visually, CyberConnect2 could kill it.
I don't see Level-5 working on other companies IPs for a long time.
They grew to be a publisher now and I believe they are focused on their own IPs and new potential brands.

StereoVsn

What if SE is just trolling and they will come out with their next mobile DQ F2P game on the stream? pleasebeexcited.jpg

If this is an actual, real to life DQ mainline game, that is on a decent platform and will actually be released outside Japan, that will be pretty awesome. I wonder if they could go say PS4/Vita and then port to NX when that is available. Heck, SE is not afraid to go fully next gen as they are showing with FFXV. PS4/NX would be an interesting platform choice for sure and the game wouldn't be hamstrung by PS3/Vita hardware drawbacks.

Another possibility is downport to N3DS, I wouldn't be shocked.

BadWolf

I don't see Level-5 working on other IPs for a long time.
They grew to be a publisher now and I believe they are focused on their own IPs and new potential brands.

Wonder whatever happened to that E3 reveal they were supposed to do...

Aeana

The X team was internal IIRC what I read here a few weeks ago but that was like the only DQ with internal programming.

I guess level 5 is still a possibility. I hope for anyone who can nail that cel shaded look, we don't have enough cel shaded RPGs. I've said it before but visually, CyberConnect2 could kill it.

10 isn't entirely internal. There's a fairly long list of support studios who have been associated with the game, including TOSE and Orca.

Soriku

What if SE is just trolling and they will come out with their next mobile DQ F2P game on the stream? pleasebeexcited.jpg

If this is an actual, real to life DQ mainline game, that is on a decent platform and will actually be released outside Japan, that will be pretty awesome. I wonder if they could go say PS4/Vita and then port to NX when that is available. Heck, SE is not afraid to go fully next gen as they are showing with FFXV. PS4/NX would be an interesting platform choice for sure and the game wouldn't be hamstrung by PS3/Vita hardware drawbacks.

Another possibility is downport to N3DS, I wouldn't be shocked.

I would, what would be the point? Seems like a very unnecessary effort to go through the trouble of remaking a PS3/PS4 game just to put it on the 3DS. Might as well make another game at that point...like DQMJ 3 on 3DS that was just announced.

Faustek

My money's still on a 3DS release, but console would be nice.

Been thinking about that.

Horii did say big screen, I think, but couldn't that be in reference to Not-Minecraft-DQ?
Believe me I would be really happy with a PS release but I don't see a numbered title on anything else than 3DS....then again I could never have imagined X being Wii/U either.

Maybe. DQ8 sold better in Europe than in NA, and did not include the FF12 demo there. So it's hard to say.

Been saying that for ages but always been shut down....so not that I don't trust you but any backing to it?

Zee-Row

Banned
I imagine we'll get something like this but with Yoshida

dqix_081215_07.jpg

Elios83

Hopefully the series will get the return to home consoles it deserves. It's a shame that the peak is still DQ8, a game released 11 years ago.

Go_Ly_Dow

I would be surprised if either FFVIIR or KH3 had AAA sized game teams by modern standards.

I expect a lot of outsourcing tho and then a shift from the XV team to help out with VII as the project progresses.

Arguably this shows more higher budget console titles in dev in comparison to their output last gen from the Japan side. We only had XIII XIV.

A ramp up in that department.

Arkeband

Banned
Been thinking about that.

Horii did say big screen, I think, but couldn't that be in reference to Not-Minecraft-DQ?
Believe me I would be really happy with a PS release but I don't see a numbered title on anything else than 3DS....then again I could never have imagined X being Wii/U either.

X is kind of an outlier, they just saw the success that FF had shoehorning in its online title into the main series and hoped for the best.

One thing I'm wondering is if it's taking advantage of current tech and going to PS4, do you think with the Toriyama anime aesthetic, graphic-wise they'd go more toward the DQH/Xenoverse route, or push it graphically like FFXIV or FFXV?

Bighead mode (DQ7) or more realistically proportioned (DQ8?)

Or do you think we could see something totally zany like claymation?

Sojiro

It would be nice if the series would go multiplatform instead of sticking to just one platform per mainline release, hoping XI will buck that trend, but i'm doubtful it will. Really excited to see the next iteration of the mainline series, since we never got X :(.

Trago

I think it would be friggin' sweet if this was developed with Luminous 1.5. But everyone involved in that are working on FFXV. So I'm gonna guess Unreal 4 like with KH3.

DNAbro

What engine is Dragon Quest Heroes? I would just assume they would do Unreal (if it's on PS4) cause it seems to be working for them.

I think it would be friggin' sweet if this was developed with Luminous 1.5. But everyone involved in that are working on FFXV. So I'm gonna guess Unreal 4 like with KH3.
I might be wrong but I'm getting a vibe that after several details, they're letting go of internal proprietary tech in favor of widely used tools that have shown they're flexible and won't sidetrack projects forever.

Trago

The engine isn't complete, that's why Square had to move Kingdom Hearts 3. KH3 is now moving along at a smooth pace because it's being built on a completed engine.

I thought it was because everyone involved were just supporting FFXV. But if that's the case, then Unreal 4 probably makes more sense.

RK128

Cool :), hope this livestream brings good news for the series.

My bet is that we will be getting a Dragon Quest 11 announcement for PS3 and PS4 alongside more information on Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and Dragon Quest Builders.

zashga

God, I hope this is the DQ11 announcement. It'll be interesting to finally know what platform they're going with, since they seemingly ruled out the smart business choice (mobile).

I own a 3DS and a PS4, so I'm good either way. :)

LordofPwn

Cool :), hope this livestream brings good news for the series.

My bet is that we will be getting a Dragon Quest 11 announcement for PS3 and PS4 alongside more information on Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and Dragon Quest Builders.

Sony might try and cut PS3 out to drive up sales of PS4 in Japan.
wishful thinking

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I expect a lot of outsourcing tho and then a shift from the XV team to help out with VII as the project progresses.

Arguably this shows more higher budget console titles in dev in comparison to their output last gen from the Japan side. We only had XIII XIV.

A ramp up in that department.

Overall, despite which way we categorize their larger titles, essentially increased output is a result of the following:

squarestrategy1nsxn.png

They're also using more partner studios that design and direct their own games, so this raises the amount of titles they can put out in tandem.

RK128

Sony might try and cut PS3 out to drive up sales of PS4 in Japan.
wishful thinking

If FFXV and KH3 (assuming one/both come out next year) help drive more console sales of the PS4, then they will scrap the PS3 version and focus on the PS4 one :D!

If neither do well for the console.....I guess it will be a cross-gen game, with Dragon Quest 12 being a PS4-online game.

Edit: Damnit X(. I will fix that right now :(. I keep making typos today.....

Kyoufu

If KHXV and KH3 (assuming one/both come out next year) help drive more console sales of the PS4, then they will scrap the PS3 version and focus on the PS4 one :D!

If neither do well for the console.....I guess it will be a cross-gen game, with Dragon Quest 12 being a PS4-online game.

What am I reading.

LordofPwn

If KHXV and KH3 (assuming one/both come out next year) help drive more console sales of the PS4, then they will scrap the PS3 version and focus on the PS4 one :D!

KHXV!? lol

i just thought i heard that dragon quest does really well in japan, so it would be a good title to help sell PS4s.

Coxy

What engine is Dragon Quest Heroes? I would just assume they would do Unreal (if it's on PS4) cause it seems to be working for them.

LTGL Engine, Koei Tecmo's current engine for most stuff

they're working on their own new engine but I find it hugely doubtful SE would have anything to do with it outside of games outsourced to Koei Tecmo

Faustek

You could've used DQ Heroes as an example, but his comment referred to DQ 11.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=836018

nah not really, since it was "new" as I got it and DQH was already a thing and DQH2 is a sequel :)

X is kind of an outlier, they just saw the success that FF had shoehorning in its online title into the main series and hoped for the best.

One thing I'm wondering is if it's taking advantage of current tech and going to PS4, do you think with the Toriyama anime aesthetic, graphic-wise they'd go more toward the DQH/Xenoverse route, or push it graphically like FFXIV or FFXV?

Bighead mode (DQ7) or more realistically proportioned (DQ8?)

Or do you think we could see something totally zany like claymation?

I want that Toriyama art tbh.
Look at DQ 8 in PCSX2. The art translates really well in HD. Even on an emulator :)

We have NA sales and a NA+EU sales total, so I did the math. I can't post the numbers, though.

Got it. People are just being people when they shot me down then.
And with that there's even more idiotic safe proof that with marketing Europe matters. Instead of just throwing it out in the wild 3-12 months later and then whining about bad sales.

EDIT:
It's time like this I wish Verendus was around...even if he was just fucking with us it gave some sense of peace....like he made others cry so I could stay away...in my safe place nearly getting religious.

Wiz

It being on PS4 will pretty much guarantee it coming to the west. But I'm pretty sure they will go for multiple consoles for Japan's sake

Arzehn

Is Kingdom Hearts 3 REALLY that far off? I'm expecting FFXV as a 2016 release and KH3 as a 2017 release.

Honestly I would have reversed those. Seems like development in UE4 is progressing very smoothly and I wouldn't be surprised if future games are done in that engine or other 3rd party engines.

Luminous is probably the worst thing to happen to this company. (hyperbole)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom