• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest press event to be held on 7/28 in Japan, livestreamed, "main series"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not any different than usual. If all of the people who descend on Dragon Quest discussions to fantasize about it being on their favored platform would actually buy the games, it wouldn't be on such shaky ground in western markets to begin with.
but I don't like handhelds. Haven't both one since DQ on PS2.

KoopaTheCasual

Honestly I would have reversed those. Seems like development in UE4 is progressing very smoothly and I wouldn't be surprised if future games are done in that engine or other 3rd party engines.

Luminous is probably the worst thing to happen to this company. (hyperbole)
No, Crystal Tools was definitely the worst. Luminous is still bad tho.

FFXV/XVI, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, Project Setsuna, Dragon Quest Spin offs, Neir 2, I could go on, but it's obvious where Square Enix is hedging its bets. Yeah the 3DS got the two Bravley games, also various DQ games, and a couple of FF spin offs, but the major stuff? Those are coming to consoles. Like it or not that's the future of Square's major productions.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Good.

qK6OJd.gif

EDIT
Also, this:
I don't care what platform it's on because I'll play it no matter where it ends up.

Thoraxes

I don't care what platform it's on because I'll play it no matter where it ends up.

I'm just hoping they stick to tradition with the battle system, though I can't think of a reason that they'd change it.

Eolz

FFXV/XVI, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, Project Setsuna, Dragon Quest Spin offs, Neir 2, I could go on, but it's obvious where Square Enix is hedging its bets. Yeah the 3DS got the two Bravley games, also various DQ games, and a couple of FF spin offs, but the major stuff? Those are coming to consoles. Like it or not that's the future of Square's major productions.

Instead of talking about S-E's recent platform choices, couldn't we talk about their recent design choices?
Like how it could be an ARPG like FFXV and KH3, how there could be social components, etc.

Porcile

Wow, I just found out that SE actually released a localised SNES version of III on iOS!? I had to manually search for it because in classic S-E DQ fashion, I searched for 'Dragon Quest' in the app store and the only two actual Dragon Quest games which come up in the results are I and VIII. Pretty dumb, but at least I can cross that game off my salty list.

If it's on a handheld, fuck the whole world.

Edit - I got banned for saying that last time, let's just say I would be really happy with a home console release. If it was only on a handheld, unfortunately the game would be a miss.

Let's keep it handheld inclusive then. Actually managed more hours of DQ9 than any other.

I'll be there! My iPad is ready.

Even if it had gacha/stamina/etc.?

Buzzati

Banned
Instead of talking about S-E's recent platform choices, couldn't we talk about their recent design choices?
Like how it could be an ARPG like FFXV and KH3, how there could be social components, etc.

Does the real-time combat of Dragon Quest Heroes make you want to evolve the gameplay for the mainline series of games? Like what Square Enix is doing with the Final Fantasy series?

Horii: “No, Dragon Quest XI will be a return to the traditional mechanics of Dragon Quest. If we do another action RPG, it will be in the Dragon Quest Heroes series. We want to differentiate those two types of games.”

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-xi-will-be-offline-for-home-console

I will buy whatever platform DQ XI is released for, even if I have to sell ones I currently own.

Don't care about silly console wars. Just give me more traditional DQ!

https://youtu.be/1TeBK4Gbgig

The day a DQ game looks like this in engine
(°◇°;).

Plz

See I don't agree at all. This looks massively overproduced for a series which still largely is identical in gameplay it's Super Famicom iterations. They'd spend years polishing the brass on useless visuals that do no service to the gameplay of a turn based JRPG.

The last thing I want to see is Dragon Quest turn into FABULA NOVA CRYSTALIS FINAL FANTASY XVIIIII. It takes long enough for new games in the DQ series to come out without them becoming decade long development endeavors.

See I don't agree at all. This looks massively overproduced for a series which still largely is identical in gameplay it's Super Famicom iterations. They'd spend years polishing the brass on useless visuals that do no service to the gameplay of a turn based JRPG.

The last thing I want to see is Dragon Quest turn into FABULA NOVA CRYSTALIS FINAL FANTASY XVIIIII. It takes long enough for new games in the DQ series to come out without them becoming decade long development endeavors.
Well you see... wasnt thinking about any of that. I was just thinking about how great dragon quest would look like that.

wmlk

I mean, I'd like this to be a huge success if it is for anything other than the 3DS. Packaging a demo for FFVII Remake would make sense.

I'll be there no matter what, though. I would just like the comfiness of DQVIII back...

They tried making an ARPG back in 2006 with DQIX. The outrage from Japanese fans convinced them to delay and rework the title for years so I doubt they'll go that route again.

Eolz

Does the real-time combat of Dragon Quest Heroes make you want to evolve the gameplay for the mainline series of games? Like what Square Enix is doing with the Final Fantasy series?

Horii: “No, Dragon Quest XI will be a return to the traditional mechanics of Dragon Quest. If we do another action RPG, it will be in the Dragon Quest Heroes series. We want to differentiate those two types of games.”

Good to know thanks. Hope it will be true when it's finally revealed.

That's a short discussion, because it's not.

Those were examples.
I fail to see how it could more interesting to talk about platform choices than about gameplay/story/etc for a single player game we didn't see in years.
I'm sure those discussions could be deeper and last longer than the usual circlejerk we see as soon as a possible japanese exclusive
even more when it's possibly for the ps4
we're getting usually. Pretty sad attitude.

Good to know thanks. Hope it will be true when it's finally revealed.

Those were examples.
I fail to see how it could more interesting to talk about platform choices than about gameplay/story/etc for a single player game we didn't see in years.
I'm sure those discussions could be deeper and last longer than the usual circlejerk we see as soon as a possible japanese exclusive
even more when it's possibly for the ps4
we're getting usually. Pretty sad attitude.

What we know is that DQXI is going to be a traditional single player game. The point of contention is what platform its going to be on. That's why everyone is talking about it. Don't like it, waddle on over to another thread.

Hexa

XI is known to be an offline game for home console. So it's definitely on PS4. What else it'll be on is the question.

My guess is it's Dragon Quest for PS4, but SE teaches the west not to care about DQ through its actions...

As a lifelong DQ fan I can't wait to see what it is! You can't get me to forget, SE!

Faustek

XI is known to be an offline game for home console. So it's definitely on PS4. What else it'll be on is the question.

Honestly, Wii U. Or perhaps the hail Mary pass and it ends up on whatever NX is. Everything is possible as long as a big fat chunk of cash is involved ^^

AAA turn based JRPG with an overworld to explore........do you know how rare that is these days ;____;

Rpgmonkey

Yes, bring it Horii!

And it'll probably be on at least one platform that will let me import it too, which is even better. I literally haven't bought and played any Dragon Quest game, much less a mainline one, in like four or five years. DQXI is probably my most anticipated RPG right now.

It will be nice to finally see something. Not knowing how to read Japanese, it's been a long time since I could look forward to playing a new mainline DQ.

Porcile

I really hope the characters are beautifully cel-shaded or at least have a very convincing art style. I can't stand that half-3D half-anime look the character models in Heroes have. They just look so tacky.

KiTA

Woo hoo! Finally, a developer with some common sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom