• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X announced for Windows PCs (Benchmark and Beta signups available now)

Finally beat the offline mode. You do need to clear it to play online. It's kind of the prologue of the game and sets up the story.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've got a couple questions....in battles is it worth it to run around enemies evasively, or do they just hit with equal power no matter where you are during the round? I've just been running in wide circles around them waiting for my turn and I'm wondering if I don't really need to.

Plus, if anyone feels like letting me know what those options on the second tab of the graphics options of the configure page are, I'd be very grateful. Just trying to figure out what they all do and looking for vsync...

freddy

Banned
Is it true this game shares servers with WiiU and Wii?

If so what other games have been released cross platform like this?

Cross platform play has been a huge hurdle for publishers and developers when it comes to the walled gardens of consoles.

I've got a couple questions....in battles is it worth it to run around enemies evasively, or do they just hit with equal power no matter where you are during the round? I've just been running in wide circles around them waiting for my turn and I'm wondering if I don't really need to.

Plus, if anyone feels like letting me know what those options on the second tab of the graphics options of the configure page are, I'd be very grateful. Just trying to figure out what they all do and looking for vsync...

I have no idea. Enemies can still hit you even if you're far away so either running does nothing or it reduces the chances of being hit.

Aeana

Definitely not in the offline portion. Online, enemies will have areas of effect to their attacks, and heavy characters can also push enemies to keep them from reaching the back-line characters as well.

mothball

settings-1syk3r.png

settings-2zpkxw.png

Yeah, there's no vsync setting. And I haven't even seen any bokeh ingame, but that's what all the Google results for ぼんやりした光 tell me it is. And I have no idea what the shaking(/swaying?) effect is either. Here's the gamepad setting panel if you need that as well.

And to anyone planning on playing online, it seems you'll need to either have your Windows set to the Japanese locale or use AppLocale in order to chat; I had to chicken out of the ありがとーん quest because everything I typed showed up as question marks.

Shouta

Man, i was right. my secondary account is locked to the IP that I registered it with and I can't use that VPN anymore lol. So I don't get to use that level 5 merwoman character.

I'll just use my other JP account based on my home IP and connect to the VPN just before the game connects instead.

Played the online portion for a bit and it just feels like low level WoW in a DQ skin. Lots of grinding, no human interaction, lame quests and story, a world that is way too big for the amount of content in it. May as well just be playing a single player game. The way to chat with people is buried deep in some menu so everyone is just grinding slimes and moumons on their own. Though the grinding is so basic that even with other people I don't see how it could be that interesting.

Not sure if I'll give it another try later on but it just feels like every other MMORPG that's been released in the last 10 years but with DQ graphics and a story that came from the same mad lib that created the rest of the DQ stories in the last 20 years.

Shouta

Chat is easy to use. Hit right shift (as I recall) to open up the chat window and type. Chat shortcuts are accessed by holding your cancel button on a pad, I think.

Are you still in human form or are you actually one of the races online?

The nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their wii u hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for wii u. nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a wii u. Except if they want to play bayonetta 2. Which will also come to xbox one at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a wii u over an xbox one (except TVII LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was wii u.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for ps3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of nintendo is done.

This reminds me exactly of a post I read on here once regarding the PS3. I can't put my finger on what it was about.

Aeana

Played the online portion for a bit and it just feels like low level WoW in a DQ skin. Lots of grinding, no human interaction, lame quests and story, a world that is way too big for the amount of content in it. May as well just be playing a single player game. The way to chat with people is buried deep in some menu so everyone is just grinding slimes and moumons on their own. Though the grinding is so basic that even with other people I don't see how it could be that interesting.

Not sure if I'll give it another try later on but it just feels like every other MMORPG that's been released in the last 10 years but with DQ graphics and a story that came from the same mad lib that created the rest of the DQ stories in the last 20 years.
Well, if you aren't a DQ fan, there isn't much for you here. It's not a revolutionary MMO. It's basically a Dragon Quest game that happens to be online. Once you reach the capital of your starting area and do a quest, you can hire AI partners and have a full party of AI dudes following you around if you so choose.

The nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their wii u hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for wii u. nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a wii u. Except if they want to play bayonetta 2. Which will also come to xbox one at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a wii u over an xbox one (except TVII LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was wii u.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for ps3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of nintendo is done.

http://amir0x.ytmnd.com/

the overdesigned behemoth did not fit though but pretty much perfect

I picked a Uedi (the water people) thief character. Did a few quests. I do enjoy DQ games but it just feels like they took a single player story, made it online and stretched everything out so that it takes as much time as possible. Walking from one place to another takes forever, to buy the next weapon that gives +4 attack from your starting weapon you need 250 gold (most enemies give 1-5 gold) and level 7. LOL your rival is one of those cliched arrogant guys who always speaks in だぜ type stuff.

Yeah I guess there just isn't much for me in this game. Oh well.

Shouta

Got to level 9 on a Ogre char on my other account. I hopefully should be able to login tomorrow for more beta test time. I took a ton of random screenshots so I've upped a few.

Some spoilers to the first boss of that race but eh, it's not that big of a deal, lol.

Eusis

DQ9's co-op was fully turn-based, not this ATB-style system. Even if they localize this, I'm still going to be salty about that.
Well, it's what'd you need to do in order to make the game work best as an MMO. I'm more disappointed Squaresoft didn't think to do similar with FFXI in the first place, just making an Everquest knockoff rather than going "ok, so how do we take FFIV-IX gameplay and make it into an online RPG?" PSO had a similar issue but that was smaller in scale, not an MMO, and the series was dormant so long it was basically just a convenient IP to use (unfortunately for the prospects of a closer followup.)
I'd say it's at least an indirect indictment of Nintendo. I mean if sales were high enough on Wii/Wii U then they wouldn't need to bother to port to PC. Actually, I still think the main reason they want to port to PC is so they can port to PS4/XB1 later on. I mean the PC is a very niche thing in Japan and while it is bigger overseas, DQ is relatively niche in places where PC gaming is popular.
It was brought up earlier my suspicions this didn't hold AS true for MMOs (which have a niche base by definition), and the fact FFXI seems to have the most activity on PS2 now seems to reinforce that. This can very easily be a future proofing move more than anything to do with future porting plans.

Though given Microsoft's Live policies I'm pretty sure that's not going to be a consideration at all. We'll see what happens with Elder Scrolls Online, but if that has different servers per platform then I definitely don't see DQX ever going there.

FFVII didn't sell enough I guess, why else would it get ported to PC? I bet Square just wanted to ooen that door to N64/Dreamcast ports...

This argument would only be valid if they ported all their FFs from VII and VIII onwards as well.

But they didn't. Wonder why they stopped porting their mainline series after VIII to the PC. Piracy? Abysmal sales of the VIII PC port?

Really blows that the only way to experience any FF post VIII on the PC (up to XII) is via emulation.

extralite

Well actually you sound like you only played for around an hour but then I don't get why the world seemed big to you. At the beginning you can play alone and you won't have much abilities to choose from. But it doesn't stay that way obviously.

You understand that the beta only gives you access to about 20 of the now around 250 quests? Even when the game was just starting there were almost 100 quests and they keep adding new ones. The photo quest is an early one that is disabled in the beta but there are other tutorial ones like the one that explains the chat function. Which apparently you missed since you thought it was buried when it's actually easily accessible.

Actually there is too much stuff to do even spending hours a day.

You need to grind a lot to advance in the story, yes, but basic translates to strict here. You need to have a good understanding of enemies, your characters' abilities and equipment to maximize EXP because it will take time either way. Even though strategies are easy to grasp, a party will have to communicate to make them work,

Human interaction is encouraged by so many gameplay elements and if you speak Japanese there should be enough people to interact with at most times, definitely during the after work hours/evening.

I've caught up reading this thread. From what I can gather, the following is true:

1) You can't just load your VPN and then open the launcher and log in. You have to enter your username and password, start the online portion, and immediately load your VPN before the game launches fully.

2) If you at any point try connecting to the game from a non Japanese IP (screw up the VPN timing, forgot to launch VPN) the game locks your account to the non Japanese IP and you're no longer allowed to connect. At this point you have to make a new account.

Is that all correct?

Shouta

I've caught up reading this thread. From what I can gather, the following is true:

1) You can't just load your VPN and then open the launcher and log in. You have to enter your username and password, start the online portion, and immediately load your VPN before the game launches fully.

2) If you at any point try connecting to the game from a non Japanese IP (screw up the VPN timing, forgot to launch VPN) the game locks your account to the non Japanese IP and you're no longer allowed to connect. At this point you have to make a new account.

Is that all correct?

If you use point 1, you can over come point 2.

I think it's partially because of how S-E handles accounts. They monitor account activity based on the IP you use most often with it. So they built that into DQX. For FF14, when I let my cousin use my account to power level himself, he had to login to the account management and change the password before he could access the game as it would say it was unauthorized. The password changed let him do it though.

I tried that with DQX but no luck at all.

Gloam

Is that all correct?

Not so sure about this one, I accidentally started the game using my Irish IP address and my account was not suspended. Don't know if it was dumb luck or what, all I know is that my account is still active.

Shouta

Not so sure about this one, I accidentally started the game using my Irish IP address and my account was not suspended. Don't know if it was dumb luck or what, all I know is that my account is still active.

Ah yes, your account isn't locked out but you can only login from there. So if you first logged in from an Irish IP then it won't let you login from a Japanese one but you will still be able to do it for the Irish IP.

I ended up locking my secondary account because I registered it on a VPN that is now down (and I don't remember the info). So I can't even do the first trick.

Gloam

Ah yes, your account isn't locked out but you can only login from there. So if you first logged in from an Irish IP then it won't let you login from a Japanese one but you will still be able to do it for the Irish IP.

I ended up locking my secondary account because I registered it on a VPN that is now down (and I don't remember the info). So I can't even do the first trick.

This is going to be bothersome if I want to use my Wii character in the PC version of the game, but I suppose it's just as much hassle as setting up the VPN for the Wii and what not. Seems there will always be some hoops to jump through!

Turok_TTZ

Great thread, so many peeps falling for Anihawk's post lolololololol.
Will the assets be improved on the pc version or is it just ported?

Great thread, so many peeps falling for Anihawk's post lolololololol.
Will the assets be improved on the pc version or is it just ported?

Why don't you try out the benchmark/beta and see for yourself?

Looks like the Wii version uprendered using Dolphin imo with some added effects. Texture quality is shoddy on certain characters, especially evident in the benchmark with the closeups on the main character.

This argument would only be valid if they ported all their FFs from VII and VIII onwards as well.

But they didn't. Wonder why they stopped porting their mainline series after VIII to the PC. Piracy? Abysmal sales of the VIII PC port?

Really blows that the only way to experience any FF post VIII on the PC (up to XII) is via emulation.
It's not a real argument, it's just pointing out some ridiculous assumption and rationalization in some arguments.

Shouta

I think the servers should be up now. I'm gonna hop on. I'm an ogre named アントニオ on Server A.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I beat the boss in the offline demo and triggered the scene at the village, but once it ended I can't play with that character anymore, even though I didn't even make it up to Lv10. Does it not let you mess around after that like it seemed from what someone here said? I had to make a new character to start playing again...

Aeana

I haven't touched my JP Wii in about a year. If SE had eased up on the region restriction, I'd have jumped in to see what's new. Do you still play the Wii version, Aeana?

No, I haven't played since about 2 months after launch. I keep wanting to go back, because so much neat stuff has been added, but I just haven't found the time.

Espresso

Banned
I only lasted about a month before I lost interest, but every several months or so I get the bug to play again, if only for a day/night to see what the developers have added (new jobs would be money).

Gloam

I only lasted about a month before I lost interest, but every several months or so I get the bug to play again, if only for a day/night to see what the developers have added (new jobs would be money).

They added a couple of new jobs a couple of patches ago: battle mage, luminary, sage etc. I ended up finishing the main story and seeing the credits, haven't played seriously since March.

Looking forward to getting back into the game with the PC version, fingers crossed for some localization news sooner rather than later!

I beat the boss in the offline demo and triggered the scene at the village, but once it ended I can't play with that character anymore, even though I didn't even make it up to Lv10. Does it not let you mess around after that like it seemed from what someone here said? I had to make a new character to start playing again...

Your human character dies at the end of the offline portion and you get transported to somewhere else where you have to pick a new body to inhabit. As far as I know you can't be human in the online portion.

Espresso

Banned
They added a couple of new jobs a couple of patches ago: battle mage, luminary, sage etc. I ended up finishing the main story and seeing the credits, haven't played seriously since March.

Looking forward to getting back into the game with the PC version, fingers crossed for some localization news sooner rather than later!

A localization patch at the very least, for the main menu options and spells and abilities is now a possibility with a PC version. I have a feeling SE will localize it, though. They localized FFXI and FFXIV, why not DQX.

Your human character dies at the end of the offline portion and you get transported to somewhere else where you have to pick a new body to inhabit. As far as I know you can't be human in the online portion.

If I remember correctly, once a player's advanced to a certain part of the online portion they're given the option to return to human form. I remember seeing human players running around in the fields last year.

extralite

They kept adding new jobs in each big update until they reached the maximum of 12 jobs. Battle Master and Sage were the last two to be added.

If I remember correctly, once a player's advanced to a certain part of the online portion they're given the option to return to human form. I remember seeing human players running around in the fields last year.
Yes, there is a story quest to get your human form back, because you need it for another certain story quest. Once you have it back you can switch forms at churches.

Humans lack the elemental resistances each tribe has and stats vary between forms. Depending on the job you use the human form might be better or worse than the non-human one.

Shouta

So I got the ability to recruit party members which is pretty sweet. It's nice and simple for when you want to play solo and considering I'm too lazy to talk in Japanese during this test, it helps a lot. The AI works just like a regular DQ game too, thankfully.

I also dig getting cash and XP for loaning my char out.

mattiewheels

Well, I made an account and I'm gonna try to VPN tonight, is there a trick to it or can you just run the VPN then proceed normally?

Top Bottom