• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X announced for Windows PCs (Benchmark and Beta signups available now)

Mlatador

Banned
I haven't been following the Dragon Quest X release closely, since I'm just not a big Dragon Quest fan. Judging from what I've seen about the series over the years, I only found DQ VIII kinda interesting.

Anyway, how was Dragon Quest X received in Japan? I think I remember it being received kinda okay-ish?? Not too bad, but not that great either.

It sure wasn't the multi-million seller the non-mmo Dragon Quest games were, was it?

So is this now a move by Square Enix to broaden its audience and trying to make it finally successful?

Will the game become a failure like Final Fantasy XIV?

Do Dragon Quest fans even want to play the series as an MMO?

Who thinks that a "standard" single-player Dragon Quest at the end of the Wii's life cycle - with it's absolutely massive install base - would have done much much better?

Camp Lo

Banned
y6Jl2k5.png

Forever

Banned
I haven't been following the Dragon Quest X release closely, since I'm just not a big Dragon Quest fan. Judging from what I've seen about the series over the years, I only found DQ VIII kinda interesting.

Anyway, how was Dragon Quest X received in Japan? I think I remember it being received kinda okay-ish?? Not too bad, but not that great either.

It sure wasn't the multi-million seller the non-mmo Dragon Quest games were, was it?

So is this now a move by Square Enix to broaden its audience and trying to make it finally successfull?

Will the game become a failure like Final Fantasy XIV?

Do Dragon Quest fans even want to play it as an MMO?

Who thinks that a "standard" single-player Dragon Quest at the end of the Wii's life cycle - with it's absolutely massive install base - would have done much much better?
It was okay.

No, but MMOs never are.

It was profitable, they just want more money.

No.

Not really, but they'll take it.

Of course it would have, but they're after subscription fees, not retail sales. Despite tracking similarly to DQX, FFXI is now the most profitable Final Fantasy ever. In time, DQX may become the same.

Shouta

I think it just doesn't work with that VPN. I couldn't get it working with that one either.
Gloam has an active Overplay account, so hopefully he'll chime in about whether that one works.

The VPN works but they're locking IPs to accounts when you first sign in. So if you logged in from the US on it, it'd block it from signing in. I got in on a fresh account. I'm going to take a look around a bit more and probably take some screenshots too.

Aeana

The VPN works but they're locking IPs to accounts when you first sign in. So if you logged in from the US on it, it'd block it from signing in. I got in on a fresh account. I'm going to take a look around a bit more and probably take some screenshots too.

If that means I can never connect to the game again, I'm gonna be pretty bummed. I already have the Wii version associated with this account. Of course since I don't have an active subscription, I can't really find out if I can still log on Wii.

Cmagus

So this beta is open correct? I am thinking of getting a VPN but I wanna make sure before i spend any money. Also is there any guides out from the wii version that at least has menu translation. It would be nice to change the camera movement.

So this beta is open correct? I am thinking of getting a VPN but I wanna make sure before i spend any money. Also is there any guides out from the wii version that at least has menu translation. It would be nice to change the camera movement.

Just use softether, dude. It's free

Qvoth

Of course, there's an IP block on the online mode.

7b7cdec21a6ojeb.jpg

The offline mode doesn't require a login, though (didn't even notice I had the wrong account in the box), in case you want to download 3.55GB for an extended benchmark for some reason.
Derp, I won't bother then

Pooya

locking IP to account? wouldn't that cause like a whole to of problems even for Japanese players? not everyone has a static IP, even if you do it can change for a whole lot of reasons.

Unfortunately the beta seems to lock your account to the IP you first log in on, so using a VPN doesn't help, even though it works/worked(?) with the Wii version.

Actually if the problem people are having is that once starting a VPN when you click to login on the client and it just wipes the password field and doesn't launch the actual game, I was able to get it going by starting the VPN after I clicked the button to launch the game and before it actually tries to connect. It is a tight timing window but I was able to get it going.

Edit: And by "before it actually tries to connect, I mean while the actual game client itself is starting before it hits you with the IP Lock error screen.

Aeana

Actually if the problem people are having is that once starting a VPN when you click to login on the client and it just wipes the password field and doesn't launch the actual game, I was able to get it going by starting the VPN after I clicked the button to launch the game and before it actually tries to connect. It is a tight timing window but I was able to get it going.

Edit: And by "before it actually tries to connect, I mean while the actual game client itself is starting before it hits you with the IP Lock error screen.
That certainly is a tight timing window, especially since many VPNs take much longer than that to start.

EDIT: That said, I did get it to work, so thank you very much for the tip!

KiTA

I believe Yuji said in an interview short after the release of X that players wanted another DQ like VIII, and on a console and that's what they were considering for XI. So hopefully it won't be on 3DS. I definitely want the next DQ to be more like VIII. IX sucked in comparison.

9 was so much better than 8 it wasn't even funny. It was effectively a DQ Roguelike with the grotto system and that was ~AMAZING~.

I can't decide what's more asinine, the anti-monthly fee kids or the anti-handheld gang.

extralite

IPs tend to change, many people have them dynamically assigned by their providers. Wouldn't they shut out a lot of other customers that way too?

With the Wii version, when you had been using the same IP a lot and then changed to a different one it could happen that you were temporarily locked because the system suspects someone stole your password in that case. You get an email and have to manually unlock your account then. Only happened to me once though, even though I changed servers frequently after that too.

As for Overplay, of the four remaining Japanese servers three have stopped working for me, including the one I had been using the most before they stopped working. I had to return to a server I hadn't used in a while.

Edit: For the Wii U version, after one of the early updates I had to activate my VPN before starting up the Wii U. Maybe the check they're using on PC is similar?

That certainly is a tight timing window, especially since many VPNs take much longer than that to start.

That SoftEther client that has been mentioned was what I was using, and yeah it was pretty hit or miss. One of the VPNs on their list connected pretty much immediately though. So yeah, definitely not something to rely on, but if you can make it work then godspeed.

Edit: and glad to see it worked for you! I think the game is rad, but I haven't messed with any online stuff. I got in there for a few minutes but the amount of Japanese was far above what I can fake my way through in JP MonHun releases or things like that.

So how does the game actually play? Is it another WoW clone but with a DQ skin? Is it all PvE or is there PvP in it? Are there guilds, crafting, what kind of quests, etc.?

Shouta

IPs tend to change, many people have them dynamically assigned by their providers. Wouldn't they shut out a lot of other customers that way too?

With the Wii version, when you had been using the same IP a lot and then changed to a different one it could happen that you were temporarily locked because the system suspects someone stole your password in that case. You get an email and have to manually unlock your account then. Only happened to me once though, even though I changed servers frequently after that too.

As for Overplay, of the four remaining Japanese servers three have stopped working for me, including the one I had been using the most before they stopped working. I had to return to a server I hadn't used in a while.

Seems I was wrong! Looks like it was just a bug according to other folks were saying so. Just ignore me. =D

That VPN Gate seems to work quite well and it's free so I'll use that for this beta.

Here are some screenshots I took.

I made a few other characters from the other races as well but I haven't taken shots of them just yet.

Aeana

Edit: For the Wii U version, after one of the early updates I had to activate my VPN before starting up the Wii U. Maybe the check they're using on PC is similar?

Most likely they're geo-locked, so it wouldn't matter if IPs changed to other Japanese IPs.

extralite

Here are some screenshots I took.

Cool, I finally get to see Hyuza kill the Weddie hero. I only heard about it but never played a Weddie character. All the tribe heroes die so the human hero's soul can take over their 'abandoned' body. This happens in the first few minutes of the online part, I hope it isn't considered a spoiler?

Being able to take high resolution screenshots (and of cutscenes as well) is nice, I might get this version on top of the two others I already have, lol. No price mark down for Wii users this time, I guess.

Most likely they're geo-locked, so it wouldn't matter if IPs changed to other Japanese IPs.
But apparently it wasn't the case, since you can still use your account?

Shouta

It's not that spoilery, I think. It's part of the story and there's a significant reason for it but it was known already that something like it would happen from all of the PR. Plus the reason for it is more spoilery anyway.

I haven't tried the Earth or flower guys yet but I tried the Elves and Ogres, pretty cool. Ogres are really nice looking. So hard to choose which one to focus on for this beta.

I took those screenshots with FRAPs because I was too lazy to figure out how to do it natively in the game. There's probably a way to do it though.

Aeana

But apparently it wasn't the case, since you can still use your account?

Yeah, I don't actually understand what's going on, unless it performs a check right when you try to log in on the client, before it will even try to launch the game. That's where it fails usually. If you log in and then enable the VPN right as the game window is opening, it works.

extralite

I took those screenshots with FRAPs because I was too lazy to figure out how to do it natively in the game. There's probably a way to do it though.

You can take photos which you can download from the hiroba website but they're in Wii resolution even if you take them on Wii U. And you can't take photos during cutscenes.

Yeah, I don't actually understand what's going on, unless it performs a check right when you try to log in on the client, before it will even try to launch the game. That's where it fails usually. If you log in and then enable the VPN right as the game window is opening, it works.

I'm assuming this is a problem with the particular VPN service people here are using to play this beta? Can't you just run a VPN over your router ahead of starting the game?

Shouta

I don't think it's the VPN. I started a new account and got in and can login from that VPN easily but the one I logged in from my IP in the US didn't work at all even when I start it ahead of time.

Hiroba photo functionality is disabled for this test though, I think.

Aeana

I'm assuming this is a problem with the particular VPN service people here are using to play this beta? Can't you just run a VPN over your router ahead of starting the game?

I thought it might be at first, that's why I wanted someone with Overplay to check. I'm not willing to reactivate my Overplay account just for this beta because of the cost.

And yeah, Shouta's success with another account adds another layer of fishiness.

extralite

I thought it might be at first, that's why I wanted someone with Overplay to check. I'm not willing to reactivate my Overplay account just for this beta because of the cost.

Gloam should be able to shed light on this. He posted earlier and said he would use his Overplay account to play the beta.

Hiroba photo functionality is disabled for this test though, I think.
It wasn't for the U beta. Is there a hiroba page for your characters at all?

I just hit ctrl + print screen, then past it into a paint file.
Yeah, obviously it's easier to do on PC than on consoles.

Cmagus

I have my VPN setup through Overplay and I have created my SE JP account so when I try to log in I get a message saying I cannot log in because the service account in question is not registered. Any idea of where I go from here?

Aeana

I have my VPN setup through Overplay and I have created my SE JP account so when I try to log in I get a message saying I cannot log in because the service account in question is not registered. Any idea of where I go from here?

Did you run the benchmark and then click on the beta link on the result screen? That'll register your account for beta access.

I ran the benchmark program and registered for a Square Enix account. Now it's telling me you need a "one time password" and the only way you can get it is if you already have a FF11 or FF14 paid account. So if you're not already playing FF11 or 14 then you can't participate in the beta?

Edit: Nvm, it asks for the one time password at the login but you don't actually need it to login.

Aeana

I ran the benchmark program and registered for a Square Enix account. Now it's telling me you need a "one time password" and the only way you can get it is if you already have a FF11 or FF14 paid account. So if you're not already playing FF11 or 14 then you can't participate in the beta?

You don't need a one time password. That's optional. It requires registering a security token with your account (and you can also use the official smartphone app).

Shouta

Gloam should be able to shed light on this. He posted earlier and said he would use his Overplay account to play the beta.

It wasn't for the U beta. Is there a hiroba page for your characters at all?

Yeah, obviously it's easier to do on PC than on consoles.

It's a quest in town after you start right? If so that's disabled. Even says so in the text. Also, I think they said it was disabled on the beta page...

Eusis

I can't decide what's more asinine, the anti-monthly fee kids or the anti-handheld gang.
Well, I sure as hell am going to be more selective about what I play if I have to worry about a monthly fee to do so... though in this case I think DQX will be worth it, and FFXIV:ARR's looking to be to even if DQX seems to be literally DQ Online where FFXIV so far feels more like a "best of" MMO with FF flavoring, taking many of what other MMOs do right (or at least make convenient even if it's more casual) and executing it well.

I'd lean towards the anti-handheld gang being asinine, but I can't deny that it's a pain to get into if you have comfort issues. Not bothering to defend those who just want some super high end experience for everything though.

I tried to sign up for the beta but I don't even know where to go. Even Google translate doesn't help me with what to click on. Can US people even get access to the beta?

Is it sad that I'm probably going to "play" this benchmark like, multiple times? xD That was adorable.

4 times here. Admittedly to see the effects of each resolution coupled with a different quality setting on the score.

Very creative and entertaining benchmark though.

Much better than their previous efforts (FFXI Benchmark, Last Remnant benchmark, FF XIV and ARR benchmarks) which were just run throughs of the game in different scenarios without much context put into it.

Aeana

Is the beta always running or is it specific times? I keep getting to this screen and after I select it boots me out to the login again.

You have to play through and finish offline mode to play online mode. Once you complete it once, you can skip it for future characters and stuff, but you must have done it at least once.

Cmagus

You have to play through and finish offline mode to play online mode. Once you complete it once, you can skip it for future characters and stuff, but you must have done it at least once.

Alright I'll do that now thanks again i appreciate the help.

Top Bottom