• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI logo (and Dragon Quest Monster Battle Scanner) leaked ahead of reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if it's going to be on PS4 in Japan, it will almost always be on PS3. :/ That's a huge install base to completely ignore if they go for only PS4.
Don't forget the Sony factor. They may be involved somehow and Square is already making KH3, FFXV and FFVIIR new gen exclusive so I wouldn't rule out it being PS4 only. Kinda, sorta like how they made Atlus make Persona 5 on PS4 too.

Safe to assume platform discussions are stopping then, right?

C'MON LET THIS BE PS4 ONLY (we need Japan to adopt new gen home consoles!).

Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy VII Remake aren't coming to last gen so I'm sure the PS4 will sell even if Dragon Quest XI ends up cross gen.

I don't think DQ11 will be pushing graphics to the point a PS3 version would be holding it back in any case.

Most Dragon Quest games have a weak central narrative. The strength is in the vignettes. DQ5 is really the only one to buck that trend.
Judging from your avatar I assume you're the big DQ uber fan of GAF moderators, are you not? :)

Myself I've only played DQVIII but never could complete it (damn random battles). But I love me sum jrpgs so I'm interested in seeing what they can come up with.

zeopower6

Don't forget the Sony factor. They may be involved somehow and Square is already making KH3, FFXV and FFVIIR new gen exclusive so I wouldn't rule out it being PS4 only. Kinda, sorta like how they made Atlus make Persona 5 on PS4 too.

Possibly, but who knows when XV and the others are going to actually be released, you know? :/

Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy VII Remake aren't coming to last gen so I'm sure the PS4 will sell even if Dragon Quest XI ends up cross gen.
Those will certainly help but no franchise in Japan shifts more consoles than DQ. Not even FF, KH, Persona, Street Fighter or Monster Hunter.

watershed

Banned
Most Dragon Quest games have a weak central narrative. The strength is in the vignettes. DQ5 is really the only one to buck that trend.
I agree with that but in previous titles I felt like there was a sense of momentum in the main narrativw while DQ IX really felt like "now it's timw to head to the next town." Maybe I'm misremembering but I didn't get the same feel of an overarching adventure that is a big part of DQ for me.

Tratorn

So before this thread gets closed:

What do you guys think would hurt the PS4 more in japan?

1) PS3 version of the same game
2) 3DS "Ni no Kuni"-like version

Normally a version that is totally equal hurts other platforms more, but in japan I think they would be already satisfied with a handheld DQXI, even when it's not the same game.

The PS3 Ni no Kuni in japan totally bombed too, while the DS version sold like 600k iirc. But since the PS3 version released a year later, it's not really comparable either.

Anyone have their conference snacks/meal ready?
Forgot to do shopping so all I have is orange juice ;___;

I can't eat while I'm shaking from hype. Let alone drink >.>

Although I doubt that this will be another E3 situation for me, since I don't actively follow DQ.

Acosta

I'm really hoping for a clean cel-shaded style, Dragon Quest Heroes looks good, but something like a more polished Ni No Kuni visual style would be perfect, I think DQ 8 style is simply the best for DQ.

Whatever it is, as long as it´s an offline game (which is confirmed) in any platformon, I can buy and play it, so I'm happy. I will import if I have to (did it with DQ 8, have two copies of it, but playing in Japanese is a bit hard).

It´s happening ladies and gentlemen! let´s celebrate. I really hope Aeana warnings have a effect, I don't want people to be banned.

Squire

Banned
So, in the event that is on PS4 and 3DS, how do you think they would do that? I don't see just up-res'ing a 3DS game for PS4 or vice versa, so ???

I'm really hoping for a clean cel-shaded style, Dragon Quest Heroes looks good, but something like a more polished Ni No Kuni visual style would be perfect, I think DQ 8 style is simply the best for DQ.

Whatever it is, as long as it´s an offline game (which is confirmed) in any platformon, I can buy and play it, so I'm happy. I will import if I have to (did it with DQ 8, have two copies of it, but playing in Japanese is a bit hard).

It´s happening ladies and gentlemen! let´s celebrate. I really hope Aeana warnings have a effect, I don't want people to be banned.
Would be awesome if it look really close to the DQX cg trailers

To me they should use Dragon quest heroes models but instead of the realistic lightning,they should use cell shading.

It would look basically like an anime.

I love that 25th anniversary video wish Enix would remake the Loto trilogy in 3-D graphics. Would sextuple dip buying the entire trilogy. Can't wait for news on DQVII errr mean DQXI ;)
That shot of the III hero running out the door to his (/her) adventure always gets me. That's like the game encapsulated in a single moment for me.

I'd love an original trilogy that looks like current remakes. I was going to add I'd love them in a full 3D cel shaded world but it's one of these cases where you've been so used to using your imagination that having everything explicitly spelled out would feel weird, like if they remade the first Ultimas in a Dragon Age engine or something.

cafemomo

Nah DQxMusouxFF

A warriors orochi type of FFxDQ musou would be pretty neat

<insert favorite character here> riding a chocobo down the battlefields mowing down slimes sounds fun.

In addition to the monsters you can bring forth in the battlefield like in DQH, you can perform summons like Odin, Doomtrain, etc

Acosta

Would be awesome if it look really close to the DQX cg trailers

Yeah, they look fantastic, imagine exploring freely a world like this.

551779B.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom