• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI logo (and Dragon Quest Monster Battle Scanner) leaked ahead of reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it'll actually work this time. Enix tried hard in the late 80's/early 90's, Sony and SE tried hard in 2004, and Nintendo and SE tried even harder during most of the DS era.

I hope it works out for both Sony and SE. I love this franchise. I'm not overly confident DQ will ever be a big deal in the west or even a moderate deal.

DQ games always sold better in the East, I guess that why Sony is focusing on the Chinese market this time.

If SE aims too high, I Won't be surprised to see the next generation of DQ games not making to the west with only Asian language translation.

AgeEighty

I wonder if it'll actually work this time. Enix tried hard in the late 80's/early 90's, Sony and SE tried hard in 2004, and Nintendo and SE tried even harder during most of the DS era.

I hope it works out for both Sony and SE. I love this franchise. I'm not overly confident DQ will ever be a big deal in the west or even a moderate deal.

It doesn't need to be a "big deal", it just needs to make a profit.

Walpurgis

Banned

Ni no Kuni did very well on PS3 in the international market (sales-wise and critically). I think a Dragon Quest game on PS4 could do just as well.

mao2

Maybe the Dragon Quest III costume DLCs that came free with Dragon Quest Heroes was a hint of what's coming.

Balb

I feel like the latest push actually did work to some degree. The remakes didn't sell as well as they hoped but DQIX sold well. It takes time to build a brand and S-E just lost patience. They pretty much gave up all of that momentum by not releasing a single DQ game outside of Japan in several years.

jonno394

I have a 3DS, PSV and a PS4, so I'm pretty much set which ever route they take (I'm purposefully ignoring everything else...). Ideally I'd like a PS4 game with Ni No Kuni like visuals. Beautiful stuff.

Roll on tomorrow!

You underestimate SE greed, I am sure DQ8 and the DS games make them some profits. But SE wanted more, which explains the lack of localization for the 3DS games so far.

It's not greed, it's ROI. Why spend X dollars to make X+1 dollars when you could spend X dollars to make X*2 dollars? As long as there is always a more profitable way for them to spend money they're not going to bring the 3DS games over.

Now maybe if DQ11 came over (or maybe Builders) and brought with it a lot of new users that might change the equation and make remakes of DQ7 & 8 more likely to be released.

AgeEighty

If Sony and SE are bringing multiple DQ titles to the west on PS4, including spinoffs, it's pretty obvious they want the franchise to be more than simply profitable.

Of course, but that doesn't mean merely turning a tidy profit and nothing more spells doom for the franchise in the West.

I have a 3DS, PSV and a PS4, so I'm pretty much set which ever route they take (I'm purposefully ignoring everything else...). Ideally I'd like a PS4 game with Ni No Kuni like visuals. Beautiful stuff.

Roll on tomorrow!

Me too, but I prefer platforms that don't have a region lock.

sense

I honestly can't see a cross platform game. You are going to need platform holder support if you are going to try and make a big deal out in the west. It will launch exclusively on playstation platforms or Nintendo. Maybe down the line it will release on other platforms. If it is playstation I can see PC down the line. If it is Nintendo it will be 3ds/nx launch next year

I am going to stick my head out and predict ps4 exclusive at least at launch

I honestly can't see a cross platform game. You are going to need platform holder support if you are going to try and make a big deal out in the west. It will launch exclusively on playstation platforms or Nintendo. Maybe down the line it will release on other platforms. If it is playstation I can see PC down the line. If it is Nintendo it will be 3ds/nx launch next year

I am going to stick my head out and predict ps4 exclusive at least at launch

i can see a PS3/PS4 in Japan but PS4 only in the west scenario. It feels like SE was testing the waters with DQMusou and now they're ready to jump in.

KoopaTheCasual

Get the platform garbage out of the way now, because it won't be tolerated once the announcement is made.
Preemptively pouring one out for the members, who will definitely drive-by shit post in the announcement thread without seeing your ample warning posts.

kollapse

Neo Member
This logo is great, and my thirst is real. I'm amazed by how timeless the Dragon Quest logos are while still being highly designed.

It is definitely kind of a bummer that it leaked in this way, though.

Porcile

I don't quite get why there's still a debate about the platform. You've got (and had) members here on GAF who seem to a have a direct line to Square's PR department, constantly being spoonfed info so they can 'leak' it on here and drum up excitement for them. They've all suggested it's going to be a Playstation game.

Heartfyre

Vita Exclusive. Just to blindside everyone.

I know there are a lot of 3DS Dragon Quest fans, but we're long overdue a home-console Dragon Quest game again. Dream scenario for me? On PS4, developed by Level 5. The same magical recipe that birthed Dragon Quest VIII.

Nachos

The fuck the does the Doug button do?
It reveals your very essence as a person. "To Doug or not to Doug? That is the question." Certainly a quandary that has bedeviled generations, and your action or lack thereof will haunt you forevermore.
You probably get a power-up to Double Doug in mid-air later on, I dunno.

I'm really liking the logo too. It doesn't matter to me which platform this releases on, as long as it'll be localized and I get to play it.

Forkball

Are people saying otherwise?
No, but I wouldn't be surprised if DQXI is for 3DS. If I had to guess, I would pick PS3/PS4 crossgen release, but you never know. Who expected DQIX on DS? Or DQX being an MMO? For the damn Wii? DQ has a far longer history with Nintendo than Playstation, so the series coming back to Sony is anything but a lock. But again, I still think that is the more likely scenario.

YA NEVER KNOW THOUGH

squall211

Tomorrow will be amazing, if for no other reason than to see how many people get themselves banned after the platform announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom