• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI logo (and Dragon Quest Monster Battle Scanner) leaked ahead of reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow will be amazing, if for no other reason than to see how many people get themselves banned after the platform announcement.

there was nothing more trollier than the whole DQIX-Goes-to-the-Winner-of-the-generation title that that thread had. I could just sense the mods were having a great old time with that announcement lol

MrGoomba

I kind of have a selfish wish for it to came out for WiiU/3DS only because I feel Nintendo is in need of more games and because all the main line games are with Nintendo consoles now (OBS: I have a PS4/Vita too)

But I'm also angry because we don't have DQVII, DQVIII and DQX here :/

C'mon Square/Nintendo bring us these games first.

Nouzka

I thought it was confirmed to be for home consoles, so why people are guessing 3DS? My guess is PS3/PS4, with maybe WiiU and/or NX port later.

AmyS

there was nothing more trollier than the whole DQIX-Goes-to-the-Winner-of-the-generation title that that thread had. I could just sense the mods were having a great old time with that announcement lol

Was that the thread posted on 12-10-2006? It's the only one I could find that's even close to the title you mentioned (oh, title was probably changed).

I mean I have a 3DS and would play it still, but the thought of a AAA PS4 JRPG, Dragon Quest to boot, is just way more exciting to me and would be more significant impact for JRPG penetration world wide.

Moobabe

I mean I have a 3DS and would play it still, but the thought of a AAA PS4 JRPG, Dragon Quest to boot, is just way more exciting to me and would be more significant impact for JRPG penetration world wide.

This is where I'm at right now too - I'll buy it wherever, but seeing more JRPGs on home consoles would be great.

RyoonZ

Banned
In Search of Departed Time you say?

aOqCLK8.jpg

orioto

Good Art™
If it was on PS4 only (will probably be on PS3 to ..) i wonder how far S-E could go with the graphics for a DQ game.

thuway

If it's on PS4, I hope they use an engine inspired by Ni No Kuni. I don't need 60 FPS - just give me graphics mang.

Holy moly Cut back on the sodium content.

You can't just post "salt" whenever someone disagrees with you, especially if there's an explanation. Here's a longer one.

I want it on PS4 so long as they learned lessons re: battle speed and pacing from the last console game, which had those issues. But I think PS4/PS3/PSV is a stupid combination if a key goal of the project is expanding the PS4 userbase for SE's future PS4 exclusive games. The Japanese market has demonstrated that they will go for the PS3 or Vita version of multiplatform games over the PS4 version. A PS4 version alone would better accomplish SE's userbase expansion goals because it would force consumers to buy a PS4. 3DS would have higher sales than either PS4 alone or PS4/3/V, but it's an aging platform and we don't know when this game is actually coming out. The only issue I have with skipping the platform is SE preparing the 3DS audience with nine DQ games. Coupled with the series usual pattern, they've created an expectation and then defied it to the detriment of anyone who bought in. That's lame:

Let me be clear, though. I've been playing DQ games since III's GBC release. I'm going to play this one regardless of where it ends up. And I hope even a fraction of the people in the announcement thread celebrating the platform choice actually purchase and play the game rather than let this be a mere checkmark on some sort of console war list. Same for everyone who cries about the platform. The game should be what's celebrated, not the platform. Because this series deserves it.

Papacheeks

Banned
I kind of have a selfish wish for it to came out for WiiU/3DS only because I feel Nintendo is in need of more games and because all the main line games are with Nintendo consoles now (OBS: I have a PS4/Vita too)

But I'm also angry because we don't have DQVII, DQVIII and DQX here :/

C'mon Square/Nintendo bring us these games first.

Wii U is dead bro. Having Dragon Quest on the system won't help, it may buy some time if there' a bigger enough push for it on the system.

But there have been enough dragon quest games on Nintendo's systems. Square needs the games to actually sell outside of Japan.

JordanN

Banned
If it's on PS4, I hope they use an engine inspired by Ni No Kuni. I don't need 60 FPS - just give me graphics mang.
Gross.

Just go Unreal Engine and take pointers from Guilty Gear Xrd.

It's most likely a pipe dream at this point but I can still wish

Nouzka

You can't just post "salt" whenever someone disagrees with you, especially if there's an explanation. Here's a longer one.

I want it on PS4 so long as they learned lessons re: battle speed and pacing from the last console game, which had those issues. But I think PS4/PS3/PSV is a stupid combination if a key goal of the project is expanding the PS4 userbase for SE's future PS4 exclusive games. The Japanese market has demonstrated that they will go for the PS3 or Vita version of multiplatform games over the PS4 version. A PS4 version alone would better accomplish SE's userbase expansion goals because it would force consumers to buy a PS4. 3DS would have higher sales than either PS4 alone or PS4/3/V, but it's an aging platform and we don't know when this game is actually coming out. The only issue I have with skipping the platform is SE preparing the 3DS audience with nine DQ games. Coupled with the series usual pattern, they've created an expectation and then defied it to the detriment of anyone who bought in. That's lame:

About bolded, I don't think this is the reason. I think it's more about making a game with bigger scope/scale than 3DS hardware could do, and especially home console game that you play on big screen.

Atram

Wii U is dead bro. Having Dragon Quest on the system won't help, it may buy some time if there' a bigger enough push for it on the system.

But there have been enough dragon quest games on Nintendo's systems. Square needs the games to actually sell outside of Japan.

They would sell almost the same on PS4 like on 3DS. There is no real chance DQ will grow bigger in the West.

The range would stay the same without many diference.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yessss

Yessssssss

Give me console DQ. None of that DQIX quest/customization shit. None of that DQX MMO shit. Real, honest DQ. Come to me. Come to daddy.

The low-res image makes the subtitle hard to read, but it looks like it says, “過ぎ去りし時を求めて,” or “In Search of Departed Time

Dragon Proust?

They had 8 and 9 on the two biggest systems in history and both sold around a Million in the West with two big advertising pushes .

Given how very skittish Square has been about localising 3DS games, and coupling that with the company's long-held desire to grow the series in the West, I'd be astonished if it came to 3DS.

I expect PS4 to be the main platform, and for it to be on PS3 and Vita because there's no reason for it not to be.

KingBroly

Banned
They had 8 and 9 on the two biggest systems in history and both sold around a Million in the West with two big advertising pushes .

I don't recall DQ8 getting a big marketing push, only the FF12 demo in NA.

And DQ9 was published by Nintendo because Square had long given up at that point.

Going from 0 to 100 on DQ in the West again isn't going to work out in Square's favor, me thinks.

Papacheeks

Banned
They would sell almost the same on PS4 like on 3DS. There is no real chance DQ will grow bigger in the West.

The range would stay the same without many diference.

After seeing Ni No Kuni do pretty well, and also seeing as maybe Dragon Quest Heroes will help push the brand onto new US customer's, I'll take a avatar bet.

Especially with streaming being big, BloodBourne is a JRPG and did well. I think with the right amount of exposure, and since they are starting with a Dynasty warriors which those seem to do well in US/UK.

I could see people who play Dragon Quest heroes because they like those ttpe of games getting Dragon Quest XI when or if it releases for PS4,PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom