• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Opening and Gameplay, 2017 for PS4 and 3DS

Reorx

this looks really charming, like Ni no kuni 2.
Wished to see some battlefootage for the PS4 version though.

MoonFrog

Next year is going to be killer when it comes to releases. Just hoping we will get this in the west next year as well.

Please. I don't usually get this worked up. But I'm really feeling hyped today. We better get all the versions, too.

I want 3DS version. I want UE4 (and I want it portable on Switch).

DNAbro

I feel like hoping/expecting the 3DS version when chances are it will be 2018 when DQ11 comes here seems hopeless. Not even Nintendo will support the 3DS for that long, especially if Switch takes off.

MoonFrog

I'm going to probably play the switch and 3ds ver, though it's funny because I bought a ps4 in preparation of dqxi.

Oh that day it was announced could well have been the day I decided to fold and buy a PS4. I did this past cyber Monday instead; TLG did me in.

We haven't seen the ps4 version combat at all now that I think about it? Hopefully it's simply you run into a monster they jump into place your party materializes and bam turn based
Aeana posted a picture of it they released a while ago, earlier in the thread. Has a line of a slime and two lips. And a menu.

Ōkami

We haven't seen the ps4 version combat at all now that I think about it? Hopefully it's simply you run into a monster they jump into place your party materializes and bam turn based
dqxips4.jpg
I don't see why anyone would like a real time DQ game.

EDarkness

Ōkami;226769849 said:

I don't either. It doesn't really show how party members fit into the mix, though. That's what I'm curious about.

MoonFrog

Ōkami;226769849 said:

Wait, is the darkened Lips in the background?! So not a line of lips and a slime but a slime and two lips separated by row?

Damn, I was hoping we could customize our main character's look/gender; he looks pretty bland

DQ8's Hero was a bit more cool/cute-looking

Curious how the western releases will be handled considering how slow SE is with 3DS releases but for the most part how good they have been with timely PS4 releases.

Oh that day it was announced could well have been the day I decided to fold and buy a PS4. I did this past cyber Monday instead; TLG did me in.

It's funny. Every Sony console I've bought, I bought for dq.

I got ps1 for dq7 in 2001.

In 2005, I got my ps2 for 8.

I bought a psp for dq and ff itadaki street.

I have a hard time imaging them transitioning away from the classic combat in a traditional Dragon Quest game, especially since the 3DS version already does use classic supposedly. 2 different battle systems seems like an unnecessary headache.

Though if they do go with a DQ10 system, guess I'll have to grab the 3DS version instead. A shame since I was looking forward to the PS4 version initially.

jiggle

I'm just hoping SE was caught unawares of the Switch hype. 11 for the Switch seems like a must now, if Switch is to be pushing the 3DS to the side. (I'd still pick up 3DS version for old school 2d DQ fun times if Switch version = PS4 version.)

Yeah I was about to say

Kingdom Hearts exists and looks just as good. Go play that.

Well, lots of people play Pokemon, so that can't be the issue.

clem84

Gold Member
this looks really charming, like Ni no kuni 2.
Wished to see some battlefootage for the PS4 version though.

They're giving it to use very slowly. First it was a very early look at the overworld. Then it was the overworld with monsters on it. I guess the next step is to show the main character walking on the overworld and running into a battle.

Zetta

I hope this game is turn based. I do not want it to be like DQX, just make it the classic turn based system and I'm happy.

Ricker

Ōkami;226769849 said:

Well theres the DQ Heroes series now but yeah,a regular DQ I prefer turn based,not that many of those left anymore on consoles.

Combat reminds me of Final Fantasy 12.

Kind of. It's basically just typical DQ battle system, but with the only difference being that you can move around your characters.

The thing I'm curious about is whether or not you control all of your party members. In DQX, you can't. Though, if you rent your party members from the pub you can change their AI using the tactics like in NES DQ4

MoonFrog

Kind of. It's basically just typical DQ battle system, but with the only difference being that you can move around your characters.

The thing I'm curious about is whether or not you control all of your party members. In DQX, you can't. Though, if you rent your party members from the pub you can change their AI using the tactics like in NES DQ4

Ok. I was getting that and ATB. Is it ATB? ATB wait, or ATB not-wait?

I hope you can control party members. But giving out tactics is fine too, works fine in other DQ. If you can't control, I hope you can switch the lead perspective and play with the other characters.

Also, does movement matter like it does in an MMO? Are there things like back-attacks or avoidable AOEs?

Fbh

Environments on ps4 look amazing. And the intro was great.
I've never been a big DQ fan, but will definitely be getting this one.

Not sold on the character models though. I like their design but they look weirdly plastic and doll-like. The girl from the intro borders on creepy

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Environments on ps4 look amazing. And the intro was great.
I've never been a big DQ fan, but will definitely be getting this one.

Not sold on the character models though. I like their design but they look weirdly plastic and doll-like. The girl from the intro borders on creepy

Again, still have no idea what's wrong with them, especially in the intro where the shaders are significantly more advanced so the limitations of the hardware dont even exist. That's toriyama's art style in 3D and is literally no different from the CGI cut scenes from Dragon Quest heroes

kromeo

That would be the one thing that would kill my hype for this game

FStubbs

For those who want the 3DS version - I'm sure the 2D part of the 3DS version will be ported to phones as quickly as possible.

Top Bottom