• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Release date announcement stream happening on April 11 [over]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

isn't the code just as portable, though? How is the difference between mobile UE4 and console UE4 any greater than console to PC UE4? Obviously the backend parts have to be tailored for mobile, but it's still "UE4" and the mobile part is just a label.

I'll admit I'm not expert enough of UE4 to answer properly to that, I just know that developping to mobile UE4 is very different than to console/PC UE4, even though the engine is very scalable. So running UE4 on a home console shouldn't be compared in the same league as running it on a mobile phone, like it was assumed earlier in the thread.

Ōkami

Remember when the plan was to get this out by May 2016?

Plans change, maybe they figured 3 versions of the game was too much and focused on the 2 important ones to have the game release on time.

Its not as if the Switch will be at 2m sold by the game is out, bettet deliver to the 28 million install base that has been waiting 8 years for a new Dragon Quest.

The last time Switch version was mentioned on official channels was in January anyway.

Oregano

Ōkami;232487768 said:

Plans change, maybe they figured 3 versions of the game was too much and focused on the 2 important ones to have the game release on time.

Its not as if the Switch will be at 2m sold by the game is out, bettet deliver to the 28 million install base that has been waiting 8 years for a new Dragon Quest.

The last time Switch version was mentioned on official channels was in January anyway.

They probably could have delivered it to 20 million of those fans a year or two ago if weren't aiming for release parity.

extralite

Ōkami;232487768 said:

I don't think that ever was the plan. It was supposed to be launched within one year after the 30th anniversary of the first game. Which ends in May 2017.

Kanann

Ōkami;232487768 said:

Where is this come from?

They didn't even get the real NX/Switch dev kit yet at that time.

Some of SQEN business division just got the kit on very very late~ (NDA here, can't post info, mod can PM)

Ōkami;232487768 said:

I think the goal was the end of the anniversary which they extended till May of this year. But either way it got delayed

Mario007

I'll admit I'm not expert enough of UE4 to answer properly to that, I just know that developping to mobile UE4 is very different than to console/PC UE4, even though the engine is very scalable. So running UE4 on a home console shouldn't be compared in the same league as running it on a mobile phone, like it was assumed earlier in the thread.
Except that you knkw, Switch has a mobile ARM SoC.

(I'll admit i also knlw very little about UE4 development but it would seem Switch with its SoC would be more suitable for mobile rather than a console U4 version)

Aeana

(I'll admit i also knlw very little about UE4 development but it would seem Switch with its SoC would be more suitable for mobile rather than a console U4 version)

There is no mobile version. The 3DS version is a 3DS game, and 3DS development and mobile development are just as dissimilar as mobile/console.

MoonFrog

I want this very much, tbh. Excited we're to release date point. Not excited to realize I'm going to have to wait.

Surprise worldwide release, please.

Also bring the 3DS version over, please.

Oregano

The big selling point of Tegra is that it's based on the full fat Nvidia architecture, even if lower powered.

DJIzana

Awwww yeah! Bring on that hype!

Curious about the Switch version or if I should just stick with the PS4 version... and yeah, here's hoping 2017 still.

MoonFrog

It is moments like this I am tempted to wish that I could throw away my knowledge of German and Classical Attic Greek in exchange for being able to read Japanese.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nice. I hope we get it in English by early 2018. I want both versions but I'll take what I can get.

Ōkami

Maybe not at May, but when they announced the game back in 2015 they did mention that the plan was to release in 2016, the whole anniversary year crap wasn't mentioned until the 30th anniversary stream in January where all 2016 hopes dissapeared.

extralite

Ōkami;232504430 said:
Maybe not at May, but when they announced the game back in 2015 they did mention that the plan was to release in 2016, the whole anniversary year crap wasn't mentioned until the 30th anniversary stream in January where all 2016 hopes dissapeared.

I saw the original reveal presentation and Saitou always said it was supposed to release within the 30th anniversary of the first game. Although I also mistook this to mean it would release in 2016, 4gamer understood it to be within one year after the May 27th date in their summary of the presentation event in 2015 already:

リリース時期は,齊藤氏によると「30周年内」を目指しているとのこと。初代「ドラゴンクエスト」の発売は1986年5月27日なので,開発が順調に進めば2016年5月27日から1年の間に発売ということになる。今後の情報公開にも期待が高まるところだ。
http://www.4gamer.net/games/310/G031098/20150729014/

DKHF

The next issue of Jump (which will leak a week from today and go on sale a week before the release date event so it's not release date) is meant to have "shocking" DQXI news. Maybe it will be info on the Switch version.

Oregano

The next issue of Jump (which will leak a week from today and go on sale a week before the release date event so it's not release date) is meant to have "shocking" DQXI news. Maybe it will be info on the Switch version.

Switch version cancelled. Now coming to Vita. Just like DQIX back in the day.

DKHF

Wait my bad turns out it is the 20th issue promising shocking news... Which will be released after the event. It's probably just the release date though maybe Switch info revealed there is what they deem shocking.

Strings

Pretty disappointing re: the battle system being free move. Might just grab it for 3DS despite the PS4 version looking gorgeous (because I assume they can't add positional real-time elements to 2D).

extralite

Pretty disappointing re: the battle system being free move. Might just grab it for 3DS despite the PS4 version looking gorgeous (because I assume they can't add positional real-time elements to 2D).

What don't you like about free move? This made DQX so superior to previous DQ battle systems. Although I wonder if it will have any gameplay implications in XI. In X you can avoid some attacks by jumping, getting away or behind an enemy, depending on the attack. You can also push enemies away to defend back row party members.

I thought the 3DS version is the most interesting since it has two versions in one and you can switch between them at any time. That alone kind of makes me want to play the game (on 3DS, that is).

Big One

Banned
I mean Dragon Quest kind of has to evolve with the times. There's nothing wrong with turn-based combat but adding an extra layer to it I don't see anything wrong with. It just makes the battles more seamless and less "let's load a different room of the game to initiate a battle." There's no particular strategy or need to keeping it traditionally turn-based that prevents it from being Dragon Quest.

extralite

These sorts of systems just feel super clunky to me. Like, there's nothing particularly wrong with them - I just really dislike how they end up playing.

I don't know, I think battles feel less static and more varied if the characters move more. Even if it's the same pattern of actions, it feels less repetitive thanks to the visual variation.

When positioning has implications it also adds strategic depth, and in a way that is concrete rather than abstract as RPG systems tend to be. I mean you can usually intuitively tell how a different position would affect the outcome of a battle. It's accessible because it's realistic.

Oooh I didn't know about this! I'm honestly fine with any date, I wonder if 3DS is launching the same time as PS4 and Switch?

EDarkness

3DS and PS4 will definitely launch the same day. Switch is the one we aren't sure about.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the NS version is going to be something released later. With them not talking about it at all, I think the writing is on the wall. Let's hope that's not the case, though.

I hope by making a day to announce the revea date means the game isn't launching too far away. I hope it's in the next few months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom