• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Release date announcement stream happening on April 11 [over]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
I think I would sort of take the thought of a world wide date seriously if DQ11 was even formally announced for the west.

Linkura

t1491886800z0.png

*stares*

giphy.gif

Rpgmonkey

Kinda expecting September but hoping for July or August.

Don't think there's too much left to cover outside of some systems stuff and maybe a couple NPC introductions, so it'll be interesting to see if they've been holding on to anything particularly special for the last remaining months of marketing.

I'm betting they're giving a worldwide release tonight. They've waited too long for this. And they felt the need to tell everyone they're announcing the release date at a certain date. I feel like this is a big deal for them and it's because they're going to announce a worldwide release date.

Aeana

Kinda expecting September but hoping for July or August.

Don't think there's too much left to cover outside of some systems stuff and maybe a couple NPC introductions, so it'll be interesting to see if they've been holding on to anything particularly special for the last remaining months of marketing.

Yeah, it's an hour and a half stream so I'm interested in what they're going to cover. I should note, though, that they have demonstrated on more than one occasion that they can waste a ton of time just by talking about nonsense on stage.

zeromcd73

Yeah, it's an hour and a half stream so I'm interested in what they're going to cover. I should note, though, that they have demonstrated on more than one occasion that they can waste a ton of time just by talking about nonsense on stage.
Can't wait for 30minutes of Horii showing us his pictures of him having fun at Universal Studios!

Ray Down

Banned
Anyone watching that anniversary livestream should know.

DKHF

I'm betting they're giving a worldwide release tonight. They've waited too long for this. And they felt the need to tell everyone they're announcing the release date at a certain date. I feel like this is a big deal for them and it's because they're going to announce a worldwide release date.
I think they felt the need to hype the announcement in advance/it's a big deal for them just because it's a huge game for Square Enix. Not because of a worldwide release date. They won't announce DQXI for the west when they're marketing/focusing on DQ Heroes II right now before its imminent western release.

I think they felt the need to hype the announcement in advance/it's a big deal for them just because it's a huge game for Square Enix. Not because of a worldwide release date. They won't announce DQXI for the west when they're marketing/focusing on DQ Heroes II right now before its imminent western release.
It doesn't really seem like they are putting much marketing into DQ Heroes II.

I expect them to talk Switch tonight. If they don't, then that version is definitely not coming out soon.

I'm curious if you have a preference: Do you want the Switch version to be based on the PS4 version, 3DS or a unique/hybrid one?

I'm excited to see more of DQ11 in any case!

They're releasing weekly character trailers and pushing it on social media, which is about as much as DQ game is going to get before release.
Sure, but I don't think that is enough to clash with a DQXI worldwide release date announcement. Both can occur without harming one another.

Ricker

Lol yeah,they tend to go on and on at the start...still its a long stream.

Aeana

I'm curious if you have a preference: Do you want the Switch version to be based on the PS4 version, 3DS or a unique/hybrid one?

I'm excited to see more of DQ11 in any case!

As someone who owns all of the systems, I would prefer the Switch version to be based on the 3DS version so that I can play that both on a handheld and on my TV. The PS4 version on Switch would just be a worse version of the game, and I should theoretically be able to play the PS4 version on a handheld via remote play on Vita, so the handheld aspect that Switch would bring for the PS4 version is not extremely important to me.

Ōkami

They're announcing the relese date on an event because this is a goddamn Dragon Quest game.

This is a big deal for Square Enox because its a goddamn Dragon Quest.

Its not as if the most popular gaming series in Japan after Pokemon and Mario, its the 31st anniversary and they also made a big deal about the release date.of older titles.

No, this means they're announcing a western release for a game not confirmed for the west at a time where the only english speaking region of the world that's awake is Australia.

Of course.

KtSlime

It doesn't really seem like they are putting much marketing into DQ Heroes II.

They're releasing weekly character trailers and pushing it on social media, which is about as much as a DQ game is going to get before release.

There was a decent TV ad campaign staring Yamada Takayuki who plays Yoshihiko in the popular Dragon Quest parody TV drama "Yuusha Yoshihiko".

Dragon Quest always has good advertising in Japan.

DKHF

Sure, but I don't think that is enough to clash with a DQXI worldwide release date announcement. Both can occur without harming one another.
I kind of agree personally that it wouldn't affect DQ Heroes II but I can't see Square Enix announcing/showing a trailer for another DQ game right before a new game (even if a spinoff) in the franchise comes out.
There was a decent TV ad campaign staring Yamada Takayuki who plays Yoshihiko in the popular Dragon Quest parody TV drama "Yuusha Yoshihiko".

Dragon Quest always has good advertising in Japan.
I'm talking about in the west.

duckroll

I hope Dragon Quest XI allows custom soundtracks on all versions so I don't have to listen to music composed by a fucking war crime denier and right wing lobbying shithead.

/derail

KtSlime

I kind of agree personally that it wouldn't affect DQ Heroes II but I can't see Square Enix announcing/showing a trailer for another DQ game right before a new game (even if a spinoff) in the franchise comes out.

I'm talking about in the west.

Ah, it's a dead franchise there.

I can't wait till 11 gets released and I get to read complaints about how DQ should now be an action RPG to appeal to the west.

As someone who owns all of the systems, I would prefer the Switch version to be based on the 3DS version so that I can play that both on a handheld and on my TV. The PS4 version on Switch would just be a worse version of the game, and I should theoretically be able to play the PS4 version on a handheld via remote play on Vita, so the handheld aspect that Switch would bring for the PS4 version is not extremely important to me.

Absolutely agree with you. I think an uprezzed 3DS version would be a far smarter move.

I'm also highly skeptical that the 3DS version will ever come West. So, it might be the only way I'll ever see that version. Haha.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I expect them to talk Switch tonight. If they don't, then that version is definitely not coming out soon.

I agree.
But the fact that each versions except the Switch one has a dedicated team, as you underlined in the previous page, is worrisome. As it not being cited on the official site, on Famitsu covering articles and so on...

Arkeband

Banned
The difficulty in porting this to Switch is that it's not the perfect platform for the PS4 version and it's not the perfect platform for the 3DS version.

So it's a matter of downgrading one version or upgrading one version, which doesn't really serve them when the base games aren't even finished yet.

KtSlime

Well it's not like Horii didn't try that before himself. :p

Thank goodness he listened to reason.

I agree.
But the fact that each versions except the Switch one has a dedicated team, as you underlined in the previous page, is worrisome. As it not being cited on the official site, on Famitsu covering articles and so on...

It probably doesn't need a dedicated team because it is the same as the PS4 version (which whenever I've seen it shown in the TV specials, it was being played on a PC, not sure if Famitsu's pictures are actual PS4 captures, even though they are labeled that way.)

The difficulty in porting this to Switch is that it's not the perfect platform for the PS4 version and it's not the perfect platform for the 3DS version.

So it's a matter of downgrading one version or upgrading one version, which doesn't really serve them when the base games aren't even finished yet.

The PS4 version might not need to be downgraded much, it really depends on how hard they are taxing the system - which is very hard to tell because of the cartoon design. They likely designed the models and places with the Switch in mind, as they have known about the Switch for a while, and said they were planning a Switch version from when they first announced the game.

Rpgmonkey

Yeah I'm expecting around half of the event to be filler. Hopefully the other half is good though!

I assume they're going to do a full walkthrough of the features and differences they put into the two (three?) versions to demonstrate how everything works.

It'll be interesting to see if they do anything special with the Switch version as well to encourage triple dipping or if it's just a port -- or maybe even some sort of combination -- of the other versions of the game. Personally I'd be ok with it being the version of the game based on DQ7 PS1's visual style since it's the only style that isn't really being featured here and I would have liked animated sprites, but that's probably not happening (and I assume a lot of people think it's a messy look anyway).

Kanann

Switch version will be fine, you guys worry too much.

DQX was Crystal tools and they(Orca)'ve done fine 480p(wii) to 4k(pc)

squall211

2017 has been to packed (and I've barely scratched the surface of all the games) that I keep forgetting about DQXI. Looking forward to seeing the new threads when I wake up tomorrow.

fastmower

I hope Dragon Quest XI allows custom soundtracks on all versions so I don't have to listen to music composed by a fucking war crime denier and right wing lobbying shithead.

/derail
I want this story. Can you provide me a few deets so I can go research?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Switch version will be fine, you guys worry too much.

DQX was Crystal tools and they(Orca)'ve done fine 480p(wii) to 4k(pc)

Fact is that they (SE) has hidden that version so far, so we don't even know which version they are porting to Switch. there is an actual different handling of the Switch version, compared to the 3DS and PS4 ones, and it's not that the Switch is still under embargo, as during the first DQXI unveiling.
I think that being suspicious is justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom