• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Devs talk PC Release and Potential Sequel

Gbraga

Akronis, you are the best.

Apparently I'm playing it on launch with you guys, thanks to Akronis.

Really really appreciate it, and I'll give back this kindness to someone else as soon as I can!

Gbraga

Bullshit PR response on that 3rd question. People have been clamoring for a sequel for a long time now.

Hell many of us thought that Deep Down was that sequel and it would have been amazing.

Anyways that reminds me, what happened to Deep Down?

I think it was just his way of saying "it didn't sell quite enough, maybe if we can convince them that a PS4/Xbone/PC release could sell as much as we need it to..."

It's not that they think people didn't want a sequel, it's that they didn't think enough people wanted the sequel. How much that means is anyone's guess, though. They had unrealistically high expectations for this game's sales, IIRC.

xHiryu

Capcom just baffles me, hopefully they port the game to XB1 and PS4. Then bring in DD Online to the west and reap me some profits. Am I buggin out but whenever a company says that theres a possibility or that they'll look into a possible sequel, it usually leads to said sequel.

Honestly, just the thought of Dragon's Dogma 2 makes me giddy af, but I don't know what they would add, aside from proper weather, coop (thats iffy), expanded combat and a better story.

Cracklox

Everyone buy this so we get DD2.

1st post is a winner. Its the one game from last gen I've been waiting anxiously for a sequal announcement for. It was a little bit too ambitious for last gen hardware. Add proper multiplayer with some next gen grunt, and it'd prob be my game of forever.

Still waiting on an announcement for Dragons Dogma online to come to the west as well

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So stoked this is finally coming out on PC even if (I guess) everyone had lost hopes! (If they ever had hope anyway).

I tried it on PS3 but I would feel nauseous after 30 minutes because of the framerate. I was so angry I could not play it because I was really liking it.

News of a potential sequel are nice to hear. Sucks that I'm broke and won't be able to buy this for now or the next few months.

I mean, the game has its' fair share of problems.

There's a love system.

It doesn't tell you that there's a love system.

Said love system has CONSEQUENCES.

Wait what?

Raven117

They probably thought better of the whole "Deep Down" thing and are now making Dragons Dogma 2.

Book it.

Dragon's Dogma is certainly a sleeper hit of last gen. Not quite Neir status of cultish devotion, but nevertheless fantastic.

I would love for them to do a full sequel now that they have an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Wait what?

It affects a portion of the game later on. Not in a way that has huge consequences on the gameplay, missions or ending, but in a way that can make a certain moment have impact or seem really goofy.

Spoilers in comic form:
darling_s_dogma_by_quadforcefive-d5vw3iy.png

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Haha I posted that comic on page 1 (post 90). xD

That reminds me... Is anyone working on an OT? I don't really want to do it myself since, well, I wouldn't really know what I'm doing, but I might have a few good "Beginner's Tips" that will not necessarily make the game easier but more enjoyable and avoid some frustration for new players just starting out, that could be included in the OT...

Usobuko

Banned
I think they crave a niche in this genre but they have seriously up their game in aspects western open world rpg did well. Like Witcher III is there for inspiration and that sold well in JPN too.

That reminds me... Is anyone working on an OT? I don't really want to do it myself since, well, I wouldn't really know what I'm doing, but I might have a few good "Beginner's Tips" that will not necessarily make the game easier but more enjoyable and avoid some frustration for new players just starting out, that could be included in the OT...

I think Grief.exe is doing the OT.

Corpekata

Banned

I think Grief.exe is doing the OT.

You should PM him, he hasn't played it so it'll probably be good to have a veteran perspective on the OT.

kaioshade

1st post is a winner. Its the one game from last gen I've been waiting anxiously for a sequal announcement for. It was a little bit too ambitious for last gen hardware. Add proper multiplayer with some next gen grunt, and it'd prob be my game of forever.

Still waiting on an announcement for Dragons Dogma online to come to the west as well

Youre going to be waiting a long time. As soon as Dragon's Dogma doesnt sell 10 million copies, Dragon's Dogma online will not come to the US for "lack of support" in the franchise. The series can sell 8 million units, but it wont be enough for Capcom. They have pulled this nonsense before, and will pull it again.

LaneDS

I picked it up almost entirely due to how much I loved the original (and it was a little over $20 with discounts). If that leads to DDO or a sequel someday, then that's money well spent.

I think they crave a niche in this genre but they have seriously up their game in aspects western open world rpg did well. Like Witcher III is there for inspiration and that sold well in JPN too.
Well the game was very low budget in the first place. In fact, it was supposed to be twice as big as what we got, they just could not create their full vision with the budget given.

Even with the low budget, they created one of the most enjoyable action rpgs of all time. I can only imagine what they would do with enough time and money to create their full vision.

DD2 NEEDS to happen.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Well the game was very low budget in the first place. In fact, it was supposed to be twice as big as what we got, they just could not create their full vision with the budget given.

Even with the low budget, they created one of the most enjoyable action rpgs of all time. I can only imagine what they would do with enough time and money to create their full vision.

DD2 NEEDS to happen.

Was it low budget for Capcom? At the time, they said it was the largest dev team theh ever had.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-12-capcom-unveils-dragons-dogma

Gren

Yeah, Dogma had a large budget, which is why I wouldn't bet money on a sequel (or at least not one that exceeds the scale & grandeur of the first like one would hope).
HI: I’m not sure if it is the most expensive, but I do know it is one of the most expensive projects at Capcom, and that it also has the most staff working on it. Within the company, we have 150 people currently working on it. If we include outsourced staff, that adds another 150 people for a total of 300. As for why it costs so much money and needs so many people, the game has a lot of content and there also numerous technical challenges, which should become evident once you play the game. For example, we used between fifty to sixty people to do the voice acting for the game.

Sesha

Pretty sure Dragon's Dogma was one of the most expensive Capcom games ever made, along with RE6. DD tanking and RE6 underperforming is partially why Capcom hasn't been doing great financially these last few years.

Youre going to be waiting a long time. As soon as Dragon's Dogma doesnt sell 10 million copies, Dragon's Dogma online will not come to the US for "lack of support" in the franchise. The series can sell 8 million units, but it wont be enough for Capcom. They have pulled this nonsense before, and will pull it again.

No Capcom game outside of maybe SF2 has done 8 million. The closest is RE5 at 6.9m after six years. If DD sold 8 million, even 5 million, there'd be a sequel by now. Itsuno wouldn't be able to work on DMC ever again if that happened. Don't spout unnecessary hyperbole. Spinoff MMOs often don't appear overseas anyway.

CrazyHal

What about Dragon dogma online? I hope to god that they bring it west.

Please Capcom, don't let this become another Phantasy star online 2.

Hmm, guess I misunderstood this as them meaning their budget was low. Interesting that it was their most expensive game...

Itsuno spoke via translator at "Behind the Scenes of Dragon's Dogma: A Look at the Development of Capcom's Open-World Action Role-Playing Game," panel, a talk that explored the game's development and early conception. According to Itsuno, the game the team mapped out would have been impossible to create.

"There was no way to create this game within the budget," Itsuno said. Dragon's Dogma was further pared down to about 30 percent more than its current state, before final revisions were made.

kaioshade

Pretty sure Dragon's Dogma was one of the most expensive Capcom games ever made, along with RE6. DD tanking and RE6 underperforming is partially why Capcom hasn't been doing great financially these last few years.

No Capcom game outside of maybe SF2 has done 8 million. The closest is RE5 at 6.9m after six years. If DD sold 8 million, even 5 million, there'd be a sequel by now. Itsuno wouldn't be able to work on DMC ever again if that happened. Don't spout unnecessary hyperbole. Spinoff MMOs often don't appear overseas anyway.

Not just DDO, but thats outside the scope of this topic.

Either way, i dought Dark Arisen on PS3, and will be picking this up on PC. No idea when ill get to it, but throwing my support behind it.

joe2187

Banned
It affects a portion of the game later on. Not in a way that has huge consequences on the gameplay, missions or ending, but in a way that can make a certain moment have impact or seem really goofy.

Spoilers in comic form:
darling_s_dogma_by_quadforcefive-d5vw3iy.png

I ended up with the
little witch child...
yeah...I was like....Uhhh noo.

Dragon's dogma with Monster Hunter style Co op= game of all the years.

That's what Dragon's Dogma Online is.
It's not really an mmo, as you can only bring your party members with you to go on adventures. You'll only meet most other people on the main city.

LaneDS

Good on them for finally bringing it to PC. Not porting it initially was colossally stupid.

PR spaghetti at its finest.

No.

They took out the Guts and Griffith armor sets? Those weren't even DLC, they were just part of the game.

Gbraga

They took out the Guts and Griffith armor sets? Those weren't even DLC, they were just part of the game.

Licensing issues, unfortunately.

A GAF member offered himself to remake the sets if people figure out how to mod these games, but he was banned
KtYspKc.png

Grief.exe

Would have to renegotiate the licencing.

Let's be honest, the amount of people that are not going to buy the game based on the inclusion of cosmetic armor is negligible.

Smash88

Banned
I wonder if Dragon's Dogma is better with Keyboard/Mouse or Controller for a first playthrough. This will be a tough one.

Top Bottom