• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Devs talk PC Release and Potential Sequel

No problem, Just get Big Daddy Sony to pay half the bill for the sequel like he did with SFV.

I do think Dogma can reach Souls level of popularity, they just need to get it a chance.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

To be more precise, it's coming either today(friday) or on monday and it will be 14 gig big.
wbacon said:
Yep. The plan is to set pre-load live either this Friday or the following Monday.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/367500/discussions/0/451850213949858480/

wbacon said:
There's no mystery on the download size. It's about 14GB download which then decompresses to approximately 20GB on the hard drive.

Add another 2GB to the above for the MP3/FLAC soundtrack + 311 page art book if you've pre-purchased the game.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/367500/discussions/0/451850213951218111/

Aaaaaand you cant buy in Japan.
Jessus how long does this kind of crap have to go on for.
Region locking in the year 2016 is just pathetic!

Unai

I like how they don't mention framerate, which is actually the part that 99% of us wanted a PC version for :p

It's already confirmed that it will run up to 150 FPS.

Q) What’s the maximum frame rate supported by the game?
A) Dragon’s Dogma currently supports up to 150 frames per second, which means the game can take full advantage of 144Hz monitors provided you have a capable PC. Please note an upper limit has been imposed at 150 fps in order to avoid any potential game-breaking issues. (e.g., physics interaction and rendering error)

Grief.exe

Wow, I didn't realize DD did so poorly compared to its budget and expectations:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Only 1.3M total : . Hopefully if it does well on PC it might give the series another chance.

It was also their second largest production ever after Resident Evil 6 and was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back in Capcom's AAA game strategy.

They've been incredibly cautious and much more service oriented since then.

Even stranger that they didn't do a PC version initially.

BadWolf

Only 1.3M total :\ . Hopefully if it does well on PC it might give the series another chance.

That's just the original release.

Combined with Dark Arisen it is now at over 2.3 million.

And Dragon's Dogma Online got like a million downloads within a week or two of release iirc.

UrbanRats

That's just the original release.

Combined with Dark Arisen it is now at over 2.3 million.

And Dragon's Dogma Online got like a million downloads within a week or two of release iirc.

Still surprisingly low.
But i guess mainstream gaming market doesn't really like action games after all.

Dahaka

What a magnificient game, truly shone through the technical issues.

Will buy this one at a sale though, not a friend of double dipping on full price.

If you read the sentence after the bolded, you'd know I at least agree that it gets interesting near the end.

I would not say it's anywhere close to one of the best stories I've encountered.
It's a nice mindfuck, nothing more.
<--- Not really a spoiler but says the way in which the endgame is interesting.
Ppl are confusing plot and story.

The plot of dd is shit and only picks up towards the end.The story is not.

yuraya

Still surprisingly low.
But i guess mainstream gaming market doesn't really like action games after all.

It was a 2012 release too. I think many were burnt out on the Skyrim and Dragon Age which were 2011. Capcom would have probably been better off if it came out like 2010 or something.

Tengrave

I didn't think they were considering a real 2 over Online. That would really be something. Online looks so lack luster.

Was actually wanting to buy this about a year ago but when i learned it wasnt on PC i was upset because it seemed like a perfect fit. Now that it is coming to PC will def get it! Debating if its day 1 or wait until its on sale, but one way or the other ill be getting it.

Akiller

Still surprisingly low.

Yeah

I think that is a good result For a new kinda niche IP like D'sD.

Capcom should have lowered their sales expectaions, but i see they spent lots of money on it so they felt they couldn't expect otherwise.

BadWolf

Still surprisingly low.

Not too bad for a brand new IP I think, it was also the best selling new IP on PS3 in Japan last gen iirc.

Stuff like Monster Hunter also took a while to get going. Imagine if they had stopped after just one entry.

DMTripper

I haven't really been following this game release. A lot of people are saying buy this game...

Is it a good port? Has PC game play been shown yet?

Corpekata

Banned
I haven't really been following this game release. A lot of people are saying buy this game...

Is it a good port? Has PC game play been shown yet?

There's dozens of videos on youtube to see it in action. They gave access to a bunch of people.

oti

Banned
I'd totally play it at launch but I'm currently playing Dragon Age Inquisition (I know, it's not that bad, fighting system is OBVIOUSLY inferiour to DD of course).

Grief.exe

I'd totally play it at launch but I'm currently playing Dragon Age Inquisition (I know, it's not that bad, fighting system is OBVIOUSLY inferiour to DD of course).

pgtmNPL.png

dzelly

I might give it another try on PC, but I wasn't all that into it on ps3 tbh. I couldn't understand the GAF hype (played it before using GAF on a regular basis).

I liked the setting, but it was butt ugly and I didn't enjoy the combat very much.

Steel

Banned
Ppl are confusing plot and story.

The plot of dd is shit and only picks up towards the end.The story is not.

I'm confused here. What about the story is good before the endgame? It's all poorly presented, poorly voice-acted, poorly scripted, nonsense before that. And even during the endgame, with only two exceptions it's still poorly voice acted and poorly scripted.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So it was all our fault in the end. :O

Capcom's progression was kind of amazing in general last generation.

1.) They started off wanting some growth after Resident Evil 4 helped get them back on track. They put their internal staff on a mix of new IPs and existing IPs. These did okay, but they weren't earth shattering.

2.) As standards raised, Capcom realized they had no where near enough people to make games that were competitive while making both new IPs and existing IPs, so they started trying to publish new IPs and reboots from Western developers while their Japanese developers worked on existing franchises. The new IPs from Western developers didn't do so well, while the existing ones succeeded.

3.) Standards were still raising, and Capcom really wanted growth, so they decided to take the approach where their internal developers would work on New IPs while Western developers would work on existing IPs, outside of absolutely key franchises like mainline Resident Evil. Capcom's internal development process was becoming notably stressed by the level standards had reached, so their Western games came out first. While it looked okay at first with games like Dead Rising 2, things quickly fell apart as the developers Capcom could sign couldn't compete with the modern day standards. This was the era where mid-tier retail development was dying across the board, and Capcom's outsourced operation consisted overwhelmingly of the bottom of the mid-tier, so they were pretty much doomed.

4.) At this point Capcom canned basically all Western development aside from projects that had not yet been finished like DmC. However, we were now fully in the swing of the post-Call of Duty 4/Assassin's Creed 2 world where every Western publisher across the board was spending $40-$50+ million per game on development alone. This was a very hard standard to meet, and as Capcom's internal-developed new and existing IPs finally finished up, they were either panned, met with a cult-hit reception, or both. Given these productions were very expensive, Capcom basically decided to throw in the towel and proceed as they are today. Instead of working on titles like Dragon's Dogma 2, they favored working on games like Dragon's Dogma Online, HD Remasters, downloadable games like Umbrella Corps and Revelations 2, or 3DS titles like Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney. The few other titles they had around largely signed up for some form of risk amortization like Microsoft publishing Dead Rising 3 or Capcom taking a big handout from Sony for Street Fighter V. Resident Evil 7 is the main possible exception.

Their directors and producers are now at the point where they're hoping a large enough success between titles like Dragon's Dogma Online and the Dragon's Dogma PC port can help them get a sequel to the game greenlit, but given their language, are acknowledging that it would be hard to do.

Capcom was usually a lot more like Square Enix than Bandai Namco in that they really focused on AAA, standard defining hits, so it's harder for them to just go back to their roots while maintaining the spirit of what defined them the way a lot of Japanese publishers have for their dedicated games business. Square Enix is a notable exception here since they just have so much cash from their previous successes, Western branch, and mobile/online arms. Capcom just has Monster Hunter.

UrbanRats

Not too bad for a brand new IP I think, it was also the best selling new IP on PS3 in Japan last gen iirc.

Stuff like Monster Hunter also took a while to get going. Imagine if they had stopped after just one entry.

That's true.
However i think DD was somewhat ill conceived from the start, in terms of structure.

For one i think the open world nature brought very little to it, and, instead had a detrimental effect on what they could do with the formula.
I say this as a massive fan of open world mechanic, it's basically what got me into gaming, but the way the open world applies to Dragon's Dogma is sort of sketchy.

On the one hand, yes, it gives the bestiary some depth (thanks to environmental characteristics you can attribute monsters) but at the same time it destroyed any environmental variety, it killed the pacing with very uninspired side fetch quests, and still locked you into linear dungeons, when it had something interesting to show you.

Now i'm not saying DD should've been completely linear dungeon crawler, because again, the open structure does have some advantages, but i think applying a structure more akin to (only played 1, so correct me if i'm wrong here) Monster Hunter's various, separated large-ish hub areas, could've helped the design, and take some load off of the team, to deliver a streaming, massive open world.

I think some of the things mentioned above (the game looks very drab, in terms of areas to explore) is what pushed some people away.
Then if you factor in that a lot of people don't really care all that much about technical action combat (otherwise Bayonetta & co. would not be struggling like they do) and are content with something simpler (Batman, Mad Max, and the various "Y to parry" games) and you can see why DD struggled a bit, despite having a LOT of potential, and arguably being the most interesting game in 2012.

The sad thing is that DDON's monsters and settings would've made for a great B-tier Dragon's Dogma 2, but the MMO format totally neutered the combat and removed most of the tactical variety.

I think that the PC could be integral to Capcom's future success, if they're smart. It's the only non-Nintendo platform that fits their budget and has players who regularly invest in sub-AAA games on a platform that actively promotes those games on a fairly equal level to big releases.

If Capcom accepted that they could be a successful mid-tier developer, which is the route they're being forced towards anyway, they'd be able to keep their heads above water and their fans satisfied.

Jin

Wow, this game supports up to 4K and 150fps! Pretty surprise that a console port has this.

I really didn't enjoy my time with Dragon's Dogma, but it's a game I really wanted to like, and it was full of ideas that I liked. A sequel that fixes my issues with the game is pretty tempting. Guess I'll look into some of the late-game stuff to see if that might get me interested in buying this for the PC.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Deep Down is (was?) supposed to be a free-to-play dungeon crawler IIRC.

Deep Down was way different, it wasn't open world, it was online focused, it was F2P and so on. If anything it's basically DD:Online even though they also made DD:Online, so it's probably never being released.

Deep Down is different franchise or was (;_;), and not related to Dragon's Dogma if the gameplay wasn't a giveaway.

From what we know/knew about the game, it took place/started in 2094.

Yeah, it was just a joke because people we're expecting it to secretly be Dragon's Dogma 2 because of the "DD" title. poorly executed, my bad =p

Top Bottom