• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub dev "had confidence" servers would work - compensation possible

My hate is growing towards Paul and Evo. Its just not acceptable that playes who bought the game and payed 59 dollars/euros for it cant play the game.

The way they are handeling this is just idiotic and there is no excuse for it. Im now at the point where they can shove the game where the sun doesnt shine!

first game I have returned/refunded within 4 days of purchase-

and blast BF4 all you want: I was playing online matches with my friends launch week on PS4 (not conquest-but at least online)

DOWN

Banned
On the other hand you have the Destiny launch, which went absolutely seamlessly.

The only important factor is whether the company was actually ready. Bungie was.

Are you suggesting this studio, who can be made or broken by each vital release, didn't do what they thought was necessary to be a success? That they foresaw problems and thought it would be better to get into this mess of hate and outcry as they untangle the problem after an intentionally neglected launch?

Not buying it. No game has every problem sorted out and no way did they ignore tests they could have done to avoid this. That's ridiculous to think they'd throw their launch away when they are major studio with no history indicating they would risk their game and money.

OneUh8

Feel bad for them The game is a ton of fun to play regardless. I am enjoying it despite not having the online portion of the game.

dugdug

Banned
This is so crazy. They had two jobs. Get the driving right (they did!) and get the online right (oh god, they didn't). It's in the name, FFS. DriveCLUB.

I'm certainly enjoying the half of the game that is working, right now. Every once in a while, when the game connects, I get a quick glimpse into what this game is supposed to be, and, I really like what I see. It's all gone too soon though as it disconnects just as fast as it connects.

I can't believe how bad this has been mucked up.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hate is maybe the wrong word, respect is maybe the right word. I have completly zero respect for the company and Paul! This is BF4 all over again!
Still seems harsh to me. Like, obviously you don't think any of this is intentional, right? So we're talking about a developer who is probably trying very hard and is going through some launch issues. It sucks, but it happens.

Like, you really have ZERO respect for them now over a problem they're having at launch? Are we really that fickle?

Seems to me they ought to have had a more extensive beta test for this game. I don't know how big betas are usually, but it doesn't appear as though they stressed their servers enough. Tens of thousands sounds small to me.

They need to get their heads in The Cloud and fix these server issues. It's laughably bad how they've presented and launched this game.

GnawtyDog

Banned
DriveGate.

hehe yes. Rushy should know better about "twitter". It's all good for the fans to keep them up to date and engage with them but the other side is the media looking for a "gotcha" moment to run articles with click-bait titles and wild speculation. This debacle should serve two purposes: 1 - you can't never run too many server tests (RUN MORE) and 2: becareful how you engage with your audience, sometimes it's better to let PR do its job.

All it shows is that an open beta would probably have allowed to detect the problem. Every online heavy game should have an open beta. Lesson learnt for Drive Club 2 I hope.

ClearData

I wonder if an open beta would have uncovered this bug that's been so crippling. It seems the beta and tests they did run with "tens of thousands" of simulated users were not enough.

ICPEE

I don't get the anger some people have. Like do you really think Evo is just chilling and didn't care if their game was going to crash and burn and maybe bring them with it? Especially with how people looked at Dice and BF4?

Or do you maybe think they basically just got stuck with a break and are trying to fix it and repair the damage? Obviously they tested it out, did a Beta on PSN and such, and it worked. They wanted a working game and did the tests they knew to do and it passed. Real world played out differently. That happens with software and tests. A little team relative to a massive world audience means a lot of issues only get caught by the mass real world audience. This is one that came from the real world audience and is Evo's worst nightmare.

Get off their backs. They obviously would rather be known for a flawless release and an instant fix the next day at worst. If it's taking time, it's because the issue takes time so resolve.
Amen padre

Hoje0308

Banned
Still seems harsh to me. Like, obviously you don't think any of this is intentional, right? So we're talking about a developer who is probably trying very hard and is going through some launch issues. It sucks, but it happens.

Like, you really have ZERO respect for them now over a problem they're having at launch? Are we really that fickle?

JP

Like I said, adding another DLC for the month of July 2015 will compensate for the November DLC if it were to be given for free to all since Season Pass only covers from November to June 2015.
Content isn't that simple thought, they can't just want to have it for a certain time and it just appears. All of the vehicles are licensed and I doubt that any of the license agreements allow th to suddenly add more of a certain brand without agreeing a new contract which could take months of work.

Anybody that has bought the season pass has a contract with Sony and Sony won't be free to change which was agreed when people paid for the pass.

Personally, I don't think they need to do anything apart from get it working as people want.

Varth

Yeah, after the great job they did with MotorStorm Apocalypse netcode, their confidence was totally justified.

Yeah, after the great job they did with MotorStorm Apocalypse netcode, their confidence was totally justified.

The thing is this new game has things they've never dealt with before revolving around storing, retrieving and comparing huge amounts of data for each player, I have to wonder if their simulated stress tests only covered network traffic and didn't factor in things like processes deadlocking when they all try to read and write data at the same time.

Risible

I'm always surprised at the number of corporate apologists that show up in these threads.

It is absolutely unacceptable that a product that you paid $60 and can not return does not work correctly day one.

Mobius 1

Using the words "hate" and "unacceptable" over a $60 video game.

Go outside and look at the world for a few hours. Maybe your sense entitlement will evaporate under sunlight.

Kosma

Banned
I'm always surprised at the number of corporate apologists that show up in these threads.

It is absolutely unacceptable that a product that you paid $60 and can not return does not work correctly day one.

Not true really, sometimes things just dont work out the gate. In any business, at any pricepoint.

From a 5 dollar pen to 500000 dollar machinery, it happens.

They should offer refunds to anyone affected though.

ICPEE

You have car's that get return calls due to faulty brake lines or whatever other problem there may be post launch.
You have consumer electronnic products that suffer malfunctions for various reasons.
Not everything always works 100 percent. Those who think that everything should be 100 percent out of the box need a reality check.
These are people creating these games. There will be human error. Games are not made by quantum computing powered droids.

DOWN

Banned

You are implying they knew about it and found it acceptable and decided to risk their jobs on it, and that's ridiculous.

It's not like they are saying DEAL WITH IT. Like any warranty for a defect, they are paying the price for the repair and like any warranty, they'd rather have had a smooth success instead. Nobody is more afraid of this game being broken than Evo.

Virdix

first game I have returned/refunded within 4 days of purchase-

and blast BF4 all you want: I was playing online matches with my friends launch week on PS4 (not conquest-but at least online)

With the stellar squad search feature that was in battlefield 3?

Edit:

For the thread, im frustrated i cant get the PS+ edition but im glad theyre working their asses off to fix it for the people who payed first. I hope they nail it down soon and can focus on updating the game with weather and the photo mode!

I don't get the anger some people have. Like do you really think Evo is just chilling and didn't care if their game was going to crash and burn and maybe bring them with it? Especially with how people looked at Dice and BF4?

Or do you maybe think they basically just got stuck with a break and are trying to fix it and repair the damage? Obviously they tested it out, did a Beta on PSN and such, and it worked. They wanted a working game and did the tests they knew to do and it passed. Real world played out differently. That happens with software and tests. A little team relative to a massive world audience means a lot of issues only get caught by the mass real world audience. This is one that came from the real world audience and is Evo's worst nightmare.

Get off their backs. They obviously would rather be known for a flawless release and an instant fix the next day at worst. If it's taking time, it's because the issue takes time so resolve.

Could not agree more. Well said mate.

bosseye

Its a mess. I (and some friends) were going to get the upgraded version and club up for shennanigans, but obviously can't now and have no idea when we will be able to.

The real problem is a game thats pissing off the community it needs to grow and survive and putting off all those who were originally intending to get involved. Add in the massive amount of top tier games releasing or on release imminently and suddenly Driveclub seems have really fucked up pushing buyers to other software instead. I know I bought Alien Isolation instead.

JamboGT

All the guys at Evo will have been working pretty much non stop since the problem raised their head, can imagine the crazy hours they are doing.

Feel for them having such a tough launch, years of hard work and then a time when they should be celebrating has become probably the most stressful part of development.

They had almost a whole extra year of development time and still put out a game people paid money for that still doesn't work correctly. At what point do you think people should be angry and critical of them?
You have car's that get return calls due to faulty brake lines or whatever other problem there may be post launch.
You have consumer electronnic products that suffer malfunctions for various reasons.
Not everything always works 100 percent. Those who think that everything should be 100 percent out of the box need a reality check.
These are people creating these games. There will be human error. Games are not made by quantum computing powered droids.
The difference is those things probably didn't get pushed back a year before their scheduled release because they had problems to iron out. At this point the company just looks incompetent.

Go outside and look at the world for a few hours. Maybe your sense entitlement will evaporate under sunlight.
When you pay money for something it should work. You're essentially saying people aren't entitled to a working product that they paid money for. If you're not entitled to a working product that you paid money for, when exactly should you be entitled? Or are you here just to use entitlement as a NeoGaf buzzword that you can use anytime you don't agree with something but can't make up a reasonable argument?

I'm betting it's the latter.

teiresias

Something tells me there won't be a delay in releasing DLC that people will have to pay for next month, whether the servers are working at that point or not.

Yeah I'm not understanding all the hate they are copping for this, no dev want's to ship a broken game. Especially one as high profile as this. Fact is that the testing obviously didn't foresee what has happened and they are working to fix it. They've made the right call in stopping the PS+ version being downloaded for now, why stress an already dodgy server issue with more connections?

I'm sure they will come up with the fix soon enough. Till then I have the offline modes and Destiny!

drotahorror

People who bought season pass will understand the problem and support the developer as they already like this game so much. This compensation is for the new comers who took the chance on game but they left with no online, but not for those who love the game as they will not care about compensation other than expecting the servers up and running asp.

Uh, I'm sure a lot of people (like myself) who bought the season pass bought it before the game even came out. The season pass was the first one I ever bought for any game. I did take a chance. I was a new comer, I had no idea what to expect with this game as I am mainly an offroad/arcade racing kind of guy and this looked more sim to me than anything (by videos). I didn't love the game before I even played it. That's stupid.

What I find hilarious are the "Evo won't survive this!" posts. It's been six days. Not six weeks, not six months. Six days. The PS+ trial version isn't out and the servers are super spotty. It's not like nobody can play the game.

Things will get fixed, they might kick us a few free cars, and most people will go home satisfied.

Worked out well for SOCOM 4.

i-Lo

lol chill with the 'hate' talk guys. It's just a game, and Evo wanted everything to go smoothly. DC is still a fun game without the online. It'll be up before you know it.

When people pay for something they expect it to function as promised by the maker. Saying "It's just a game" is very insulting to not only the buyers who expended their money to purchase the product, but also to developers by trying to slight their hard work via implying that it's not something that ought to be taken seriously.

While I concur with this, they should take heed with what to expect from the real world and consequent inconsistencies. PS4 has been selling like hot cakes and this is the time to strike forward with new IP and not fumble with opportunities that saps goodwill Sony has earned since E3 2013.

In the end, I hope things work out for Evo sooner than later. They're a capable bunch as proven by their releases on PS3.

Jaxx

Banned
I received all the compensation I'll ever need when Sony agreed to refund my digital purchase. Did not enjoy the game one bit, online or off, but for Evo's sake I hope they get their act together.

DOWN

Banned
What I find hilarious are the "Evo won't survive this!" posts. It's been six days. Not six weeks, not six months. Six days. The PS+ trial version isn't out and the servers are super spotty. It's not like nobody can play the game.

Things will get fixed, they might kick us a few free cars, and most people will go home satisfied.
In fairness, many of those posts are stacking this issue with the lack of marketing, the long delay, the average scores, and a lack of major social media buzz to gauge interest.

Hope PS+ Edition does its job well.

All the guys at Evo will have been working pretty much non stop since the problem raised their head, can imagine the crazy hours they are doing.

Feel for them having such a tough launch, years of hard work and then a time when they should be celebrating has become probably the most stressful part of development.

Yeah. I mean, it doesn't need mentioning that advertised features absolutely should work the moment a game is released & available for people to spend money on and that people have every right to be upset when those features don't work, but what's kinda bothering me sometimes is a certain lack of perspective & empathy when people voice/formulate their disappointment. Often just comes across as being cynical for cynical's sake.

Heroman

Banned

What are you talking about? if you buy something you are entitled for it to work.

In fairness, many of those posts are stacking this issue with the lack of marketing, the long delay, the average scores, and a lack of major social media buzz to gauge interest.

Hope PS+ Edition does its job well.

Additionally this is all happening right when there are "big" games releasing each week. TEW and Bayonetta 2 are the next two up and someone who was holding funds to get this may get something else instead. If server issues persist past next week, well.....

Top Bottom