• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub dev "had confidence" servers would work - compensation possible

Zyae

Let's try it with humans instead of a company since you can't seem to relate to them as a studio:

Good luck to your daughter when her painting is disqualified because it turns out she's colorblind. She thought it looked rad, you thought it looked rad before she turned it in for class and you made sure by even looking up close when she asked, but oops. It doesn't fit the class mural one bit because it turns out the color is just plain wrong.

But damn her. No sympathy for that. So what if she's going to find a way to fix it. She'll never live down the mess of being wrong at the art show.

Too dramatic?

Its a company that doesnt give a damn about you and simply wants your money. Jesus Christ

But have they paid money?

I've been following the Driveclub mess on twitter, facebook and other forums over the last week and noticing most of the noise is coming from people who haven't paid for the game and are just pissed that their free version has been delayed. The people who have paid for the game are quite content playing single player until the servers are back up.

you mean a free version promised to people who pay for a service, ps plus. right?

jacobeid

Banned
I have a feeling that the information we'll learn in all of the post-mortems for this game will be more interesting than the game itself.

This is the most well-argumented rebuke ever.

I own the game, I played it quite a lot. I had enjoyment from it without its' online features. What more do you want me to say? Your statement would make sense if the game simply did not launch without online, which would make this a different issue.

Having played the game online.. its solid.

As more of the online compenent opens open the game drastically improves. So iys a real shame this happened. Still though 40 Euro for a AAA racing game on launch isn't bad.

Predwolf

"We did run large scale synthetic load tests with tens of thousands of concurrent users and the tests were successful

Well there's the issue, you can't drum up that much hype and then only expect a paltry amount of people to buy it. Especially in the casee of the PS+ edition which has a pool of ten million to pull from.

y7x5dyvgoi2.gif

wickfut

Banned
Stop saying this. It's a dumb defense. You don't need to own a game to understand why a technical issue is a problem and how it can harm the game.

Not to mention you're just using evidence you saw on a Facebook page and acting like those people represent everyone complaining. There are obviously people who own it and are complaining about it otherwise we wouldn't have any first hand accounts of any of the issues in the first place. You're just cluttering up the thread with nonsensical arguments that have no baring on the situation.

ha ha.

I bet you don't own the game either do you?

What's up, did your demo not turn up on time and you feel the urge to spit your dummy?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thats a very unfair thing to say though....

in relation to content, both forza games offer volumes of content that dc does not.
be it the bigger garage, the customization, the tuning.

plus, its extra unfair to say that in horizon, a totally open space game, is as easy/quick to see everything in it as in driveclub.

sorry, I meant purely in the campaign length. I think after I finished the finale I'd logged maybe 6 hours? And I'd cleared almost all the roads/speed cameras/photos of cars

I agree there is a ton under the hood with customisation and the sheer number of cars though. Way more than DC.

Back on topic though - I wonder if people might be seeing better performance and online availability partly because people are starting to not play?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I can't see any sort of compensation being handed out.

The weather patch on "server fix day" would suffice.

Lord our standards have fallen. We'll now accept patched in content that should have been in the game in the first place as retrobution for shipping a half functional piece of software.

see5harp

Seems like it may be a serious issue. I don't know how they are overloading servers with simple calls for leadboard information. Even if the frequency is crazy high for a modern game, I wouldn't expect these sorts of issues.

On a less serious note, seems like they worked on the wrong sort of dynamic cloud system.

Petrae

Using the words "hate" and "unacceptable" over a $60 video game.

Go outside and look at the world for a few hours. Maybe your sense entitlement will evaporate under sunlight.

Other businesses need to look into how the video game industry has conditioned/duped its consumer base into not only accepting that products may or may not work as advertised on day one... but actually defending it.

It's a mighty impressive feat.

People not wanting a Drive Club 2 due to all of this negativity is the reason why its time for concern. Drive Club 1 selling well right now means a lot of disappointed customers since things aren't fixed.

By a Drive Club 2 point, Polyphony should have pushed out a new GT, and it becomes an even stranger proposition to be funding competitors in your own stables.

Evo had a small window to make DC a positive new brand that differentiated itself hugely and justified being a parallel series worthy of continuing. A year delay and a flubbed launch aren't speaking to that hope.

I think that's somewhat of an exaggeration. Sure the launch was botched and it might result in a short term outpouring of anger, but as with everything, once they've fixed the issues and made reparations, I'm sure it'll be forgotten.

As for Sony not wanting competing IP, this isn't really competing with GT. Just like Horizon 2 isn't competing with Mainline Forza. They compliment each other more than anything.

p3tran

Banned
Ahh , I wasn't aware that PSN was the official Driveclub service. When did Sony change the name? Should I check my firmware?

you may be surprised, but A LOT of people took day 1 console and day 1 paying service,
with free driveclub being the biggest enticement for it.

also, this was the news that broke at the same time with the news of the fact that plus had gone the xboxlive way (must pay to play).
to me, and I guess (I know) I was not the only one, that offer sure seemed like the counter weight to the pay to play news.

I never was a plus subscriber before, even though I had a ps3 (and still do have one) since the beginning.

now, its perfectly ok that you want to downplay EVERYTHING, but you must accept that maybe there are people that do not think and act the same as you.

sony really needs to get their shit together here as well, i feel they share most of the guilt here. fuck, i just dont want to think that it will be same shit with GTA5/GTO.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Season pass 50% discount please.

I think we just might see a discount on the season pass when this all settles. As an apology type thing. Mainly because giving away any of the DLC would be seen as diminishing the season pass value that some paid for already and would cause more uproar.

In the alternative, I can see them creating some new badges/liveries/unique car versions and give those away to everyone instead.

aaronwt

Unless you got some online only version of the game no one else did, you can play the game just fine. The online is broken but the single player should keep most people busy for quite some time.

And the way they are handling this is that they are trying to fix it as fast as they possibly can. There's nothing else they can do. This was an unforeseen problem and it'll hopefully be solved within the next week or so. Kind of childish to hold such a grudge for not being able to play a game online. You can still play the game offline so it's not like it's a complete waste of money until they fix the server issues like completely online games like MMOs are.

Have some patience, jeesh.
What about the people that bought it for online play? To me, online play trumps local play in just about every game.

Loakum

Banned
DriveClub and NBA2K15 duking it out for title of worst servers.

LOL!!! 2K takes this easily. DRIVECLUB is have trouble on it's launch of a new ip. 2K has had shitty servers for multiple games releases now. I wonder when reviews will start docking points for this?

What about the people that bought it for online play? To me, online play trumps local play in just about every game.

They'll still get it, hopefully sooner than later.
This is definitely a game that's going to change a lot in the hopefully near future, what with replays, weather and planned (free) content in the pipeline.

Ahh , I wasn't aware that PSN was the official Driveclub service. When did Sony change the name? Should I check my firmware?

It's whatever I choose as the main drawing point. If I have cable to watch NBA games and they take NBA games off cable, yeah, I don't care if other shows are still there.

DC was the main reason I bought PS+ way back during launch, probably not yours. it doesn't matter what "part" of the service I utilize the most, if that part isn't available, that's a shitty service. Since DC became a demo instead of the "full game minus a few© cars and tracks", I'm not re-upping the service as I have no need for it. So it might as well have been called "Sony's Way of Getting You to Pay For Multiplayer on the PS4 But We'll Toss In a Slightly Degraded Version of an Upcoming Racer to Lessen The Blow" for all I care.

Two Words

ha ha.

I bet you don't own the game either do you?

What's up, did your demo not turn up on time and you feel the urge to spit your dummy?
So now your gone to "You're complaining about the game. Therefore, you don't own it."

Your logic is non-existent.

ElRenoRaven

you may be surprised, but A LOT of people took day 1 console and day 1 paying service,
with free driveclub being the biggest enticement for it.

also, this was the news that broke at the same time with the news of the fact that plus had gone the xboxlive way (must pay to play).
to me, and I guess (I know) I was not the only one, that offer sure seemed like the counter weight to the pay to play news.

I never was a plus subscriber before, even though I had a ps3 (and still do have one) since the beginning.

now, its perfectly ok that you want to downplay EVERYTHING, but you must accept that maybe there are people that do not think and act the same as you.

It's not even that. Sony sells PS plus based off the free games. That was always their whole hook. They sold PS plus at PS4 launch on the free drive club. So those were advertised features of the service that folks pay for. Hence they really aren't free. They're being paid for via that subscription.

Some folks can act like children and try to defend this but that's on them. Facts are facts. Those don't change either.

It's whatever I choose as the main drawing point. If I have cable to watch NBA games and they take NBA games off cable, yeah, I don't care if other shows are still there.

DC was the main reason I bought PS+ way back during launch

...what? Why? You paid monthly for PS+, just for the DriveClub bonus? You could have just waited until the offer was live before you started paying monthly.

Ridley327

It seems really odd to me that they didn't bother doing a public beta for a game that has as many online-dependent features as DriveClub does. I don't think it needed to be on the same scale as the Destiny beta, but I don't understand how the folks at Evolution thought that the steps they took were sufficient, especially with the existence of the PS+ Edition that would undoubtedly skew numbers even higher.

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
Maybe it's because I used to be a software developer, but I'm a little dismayed by the self-righteous anger directed at Evo in this thread.

Sometimes a developer can do everything right, take every precaution, cut zero corners and just in general be customer-focused and do everything they can to make sure their application/title is perfect and things still will go wrong when the app/game hits the real world.

It sucks for people that bought the game that they can't yet fully experience everything the game has to offer, I get that. I'm one of those people, I bought it day 1.

But I can guarantee you that Evolution Studios is a freaking MADHOUSE right now. There's very, very little sleep for those devs right now and I know they're busting their collective ass to get this game running the way it's supposed to. And before anyone accuses me of being a dev there trying to gain sympathy, I'm not. I'm no longer in the gaming industry (for years now) and I don't know a single soul on the Evolution Studios' dev staff.

I'm just asking for the angriest among you to cut these guys a little slack. I guarantee you that they're more upset than you are right now. This is their baby and right now their baby is struggling to breathe on its own. I think the game that's there right now is excellent and I expect it to sell well and have a long life in terms of an online community as long as people can take a deep breath and recognize that it's not the end of the world.

Sometimes companies deserve your hatred and consequently don't deserve your money. I don't think this is one of those situations.

Maybe it's because I used to be a software developer, but I'm a little dismayed by the self-righteous anger directed at Evo in this thread.

Sometimes a developer can do everything right, take every precaution, cut zero corners and just in general be customer-focused and do everything they can to make sure their application/title is perfect and things still will go wrong when the app/game hits the real world.

It sucks for people that bought the game that they can't yet fully experience everything the game has to offer, I get that. I'm one of those people, I bought it day 1.

But I can guarantee you that Evolution Studios is a freaking MADHOUSE right now. There's very, very little sleep for those devs right now and I know they're busting their collective ass to get this game running the way it's supposed to. And before anyone accuses me of being a dev there trying to gain sympathy, I'm not. I'm no longer in the gaming industry (for years now) and I don't know a single soul on the Evolution Studios' dev staff.

I'm just asking for the angriest among you to cut these guys a little slack. I guarantee you that they're more upset than you are right now. This is their baby and right now their baby is struggling to breathe on its own. I think the game that's there right now is excellent and I expect it to sell well and have a long life in terms of an online community as long as people can take a deep breath and recognize that it's not the end of the world.

Sometimes companies deserve your hatred and consequently don't deserve your money. I don't think this is one of those situations.

Good post. Sensible.

Two Words

Nobody is throwing rocks into their windows. People are complaining here in their own private little corner of the Internet. Who cares if upset customers complain here? Christ, you make it seen we have to put on a happy face in case an Evolution dev pops in here.

teiresias

They didn't do an open beta. They did some nebulous "simulated testing". It doesn't sound to me like they took every precaution. Sounds to me like they didn't want to take the time to do a proper open beta period (and/or didn't account for it when asking Sony for the year delay) and are now paying for it.

Auctopus

I think the worst part is people expecting to be given the game for free because of it. What logic made them arrive at that conclusion?

Get the refund and don't have the game or stick it out and enjoy the online when it becomes active. There's no middle ground. Once the online's back, Evo don't owe you anything. Perhaps there'll be goodwill in the name of a track or free car but that's gonna be down to them. They've been perfectly apologetic. If you can't think of anything better to do than trash the game and make ludicrous remarks about how Evolution Studios should be shut down well, don't take it out on Evo that you've got nothing better to do with your time.

Auctopus

Wow in and out policy..... When a player disconnects, you can join.... Sounds like 1994.

It also prevents players from mashing the online component whilst they're trying to fix it. Imagine trying to fix the windows of a shop whilst thousands of people ramraid it.

Gestault

It also prevents players from mashing the online component whilst they're trying to fix it. Imagine trying to fix the windows of a shop whilst thousands of people ramraid it.

Presumably a user playing their game a week after launch shouldn't have the same effect on servers as smashing a window.

No one deserves hatred, but those making and selling a product are rightfully held accountable when that product fails.

The money paid for that product has been paid in full. The mutually agreed upon exchange of a fully functioning product has not.

Consumers have a right to demand that they receive the exchange in goods which they had been promised for their cash.

That has nothing to do with games or DC in particular, that's business.

Cheech

Nobody is throwing rocks into their windows. People are complaining here in their own private little corner of the Internet. Who cares if upset customers complain here? Christ, you make it seen we have to put on a happy face in case an Evolution dev pops in here.

What I'm not clear on is why so many people are defending them, when you know damn well this place would have exploded in unanimous hatred if it was an EA studio.

But no. Can't rip on Evo, can't suggest that their game just might be a piece of shit, can't say anything about Forza Horizon 2 being 10x better so just get that instead... Come on. At some point, the fanboy shit needs to take a rest, so agnostic game discussion can go down.

Sorry, just venting a bit.

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
No one deserves hatred, but those making and selling a product are rightfully held accountable when that product fails.

The money paid for that product has been paid in full. The mutually agreed upon exchange of a fully functioning product has not.

Consumers have a right to demand that they receive the exchange in goods which they had been promised for their cash.

That has nothing to do with games or DC in particular, that's business.

Nobody's arguing against your "right to demand". I'm urging for heads to cool. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

Of course companies are held accountable when the company hasn't provided a fully functioning product. But I don't think Evo has done anything to lead someone to believe that it won't be functional as promised.

Once again, I don't think anything you're saying is in conflict with what I stated. I'm just urging the especially apoplectic commenters in this thread that maybe this isn't an issue worth getting terribly upset about just yet.

teiresias

And now Rushy is saying he won't respond to Driveclub inquiries on Twitter anymore. What wonderful concern for their customers and fanbase.

Top Bottom