• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub dev "had confidence" servers would work - compensation possible

Two Words

Let's try it with humans instead of a company since you can't seem to relate to them as a studio:

Good luck to your daughter when her painting is disqualified because it turns out she's colorblind. She thought it looked rad, you thought it looked rad before she turned it in for class and you made sure by even looking up close when she asked, but oops. It doesn't fit the class mural one bit because it turns out the color is just plain wrong.

But damn her. No sympathy for that. So what if she's going to find a way to fix it. She'll never live down the mess of being wrong at the art show.

Too dramatic?
Because adults selling $60 products that don't work right are so similar to children painting. Your logic is terrible and so is your analogy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is so crazy. They had two jobs. Get the driving right (they did!) and get the online right (oh god, they didn't). It's in the name, FFS. DriveCLUB.
mFybsk0.gif

Heroman

Banned
Let's try it with humans instead of a company since you can't seem to relate to them as a studio:

Good luck to your daughter when her painting is disqualified because it turns out she's colorblind. She thought it looked rad, you thought it looked rad before she turned it in for class and you made sure by even looking up close when she asked, but oops. It doesn't fit the class mural one bit because it turns out the color is just plain wrong.

But damn her. No sympathy for that. So what if she's going to find a way to fix it. She'll never live down the mess of being wrong at the art show.

Too dramatic?
Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

DOWN

Banned
Ok, this may be the dumbest thing I've ever read.
The corporation that I paid money to for a product, now has to be treated like my child with a handicap?
It's a creative and tech team that is made up of people who love their project and are trying to get it right. The insults are hitting people, not some sign on a building for a corporation that doesn't have and sense of care or responsibility for their fans' frustrations.

Loakum

Banned
After waiting a extra year for this game's release, I'm more than willing to wait a few days, or even a few weeks for their servers to be top notch. This game is just that good, and deserving of it. Besides, I have a enormous backlog of games, with more games coming out . So let's not give Evo a hard time on this one. They're trying their best to correct this issue.

jcm

And how would they have known they needed a better test before launch if it seemed like the right test as an experienced studio and the game passed those tests? Heck, how do we know they weren't using industry standard tests that are used on other games?

Now you are assuming it was incompetence instead of real world factors. I don't find bugs and think "wow they are so incompetent."

Look, it failed. There is no doubt at all that their tests were insufficient. That's not even debatable. You asked "What should Evo have done differently?" and I explained what they should have done differently. It's pretty straightforward. If you launch your product and your servers shit the bed then you didn't test correctly.

And I'd appreciate if you didn't fake quote me. I didn't say "wow they are so incompetent", or anything like that. Thanks.

Too dramatic?

I hope you are just fishing for a tag.

Too dramatic?

Good lord man. Have you taken leave of your senses?

Two Words

It's a creative and tech team that is made up of people who love their project and are trying to get it right. The insults are hitting people, not some sign on a building for a corporation that doesn't have and sense of care or responsibility for their fans' frustrations.
Oh no, those poor employees might get the impression that a lot of paying customers are mad their broken game doesn't work :'(

Pillville

The next time I screw up at work, I'll let my boss know that he's hurting my feelings by expecting me to do my job right.

it is #2 in the UK charts this week. It has a lengthy set of DLC planned and already Rushy is talking about tweaking the penalties etc. So it has the potential to have some legs, especially when you have PS+ people playing it and setting times to beat for the rest of us.

And I'm guessing Motorstorm Apocalypse sold way worse (due mostly to factors outside of Evo's control) and Evo still got another chance.

Fucking hell.

The game is great and they have a huge track record of wonderful games that even sell. Just like DC.

Forgot /s?

Zipper_Interactive_Logo.png

Studio_Liverpool_Logo.png

medium_evolution_studios_2.jpg

Sorry.

giphy.gif

rrc1594

Too dramatic?

LMAO

sobaka770

Banned
I get that there's a lot of love and "understanding" coming for Evolution here, and I'm sure they are a nice bunch of hardworking people, but when Blizzard and EA did the same thing with Diablo 3 and SimCity respectively, they got a lot of flack for it.

This is definitely a big issue, this game is nothing without online features. Therefore we must make it clear that releasing such a product with not enough capacity (which is always underestimated to save costs) is wrong and costs in the long run. Do your testing properly!

The first couple of weeks are crucial to a game's release and these issues impact long-term metrics of the game. That being said, I can wait until they fix thing, it's not the end of the world if I get to play it a month later when it will work properly. Don't overdramatize the impact of one game on your whole life...

Unless it's the ending ME3. F%^& THAT $HIT.

ICPEE

Going back and watching the original reveal is hilarious in light of all of this:

Should have been working on netcode that long.

Yeah, might want to learn how to program that technology.

Yeah, about that.

That one always made me laugh.
What does this all have to do with server issues?

p3tran

Banned
tbh it didn't take me much longer with FH2 - both games are light on single player content (although FH2 does have tons more races in the same locations post-finale)

thats a very unfair thing to say though....

in relation to content, both forza games offer volumes of content that dc does not.
be it the bigger garage, the customization, the tuning.

plus, its extra unfair to say that in horizon, a totally open space game, is as easy/quick to see everything in it as in driveclub.

This is definitely a big issue, this game is nothing without online features. Therefore we must make it clear that releasing such a product with not enough capacity (which is always underestimated to save costs) is wrong and costs in the long run. Do your testing properly!

Thats just bullshit, sorry.

wickfut

Banned
Oh man that sense of entitlement that people get when they pay money and expect a fully functional product, how shameful.

But have they paid money?

I've been following the Driveclub mess on twitter, facebook and other forums over the last week and noticing most of the noise is coming from people who haven't paid for the game and are just pissed that their free version has been delayed. The people who have paid for the game are quite content playing single player until the servers are back up.

nynt9

They probably should have done a beta test to make sure their servers could handle the load. But sometimes it's hard to tell these things will happen even if you do a small scale test. Doesn't excuse the final result obviously.

ICPEE

thats a very unfair thing to say though....

in relation to content, both forza games offer volumes of content that dc does not.
be it the bigger garage, the customization, the tuning.

plus, its extra unfair to say that in horizon, a totally open space game, is as easy/quick to see everything in it as in driveclub.
Didnt take long for this thread to turn into a DC vs H2 shitfest.

Well done.

Two Words

I've been following the Driveclub mess on twitter, facebook and other forums over the last week and noticing most of the noise is coming from people who haven't paid for the game and are just pissed that their free version has been delayed. The people who have paid for the game are quite content playing single player until the servers are back up.
Who cares what you saw on Facebook and Twitter?

kiguel182

It's not a free version. It's part of a paid subscription and Plus users have a right to complain too.

What should Evo have done differently? Assuming next time, they cover this Driveclub issue. What are they to do when they covered their bases and checked it over and it passes the quality tests of them and all their testing crews and their beta participants? What do they do when they are about to launch and it looks excellent next time around?
I have no idea. I don't know the ins and outs of how they tested the game in the first place besides the very vague statement that they had a private beta. Maybe a Public Beta? Again, I don't know, because I don't know the ins and outs of what they've already done.

Maybe there was nothing else they could do. But that doesn't mean they aren't responsible and shouldn't be held accountable for their game being broken. There have been times where my internet has gone out for reasons that I was told was out of my providers control. So they refunded me the money I would have paid had I had internet during that time. They didn't just go "Whoops, I guess you have to pay for something you couldn't use. But don't worry, we didn't MEAN to have your internet go out for a week, so you shouldn't be mad."

It doesn't matter if someone didn't break the game intentionally, the point is that it's been broken for a week and they:

A) Haven't fixed it. (I know they're working on it, but the longer they have to work on it the longer people are missing out on huge parts of the game.)

B) Haven't said they will compensate people for the time their game was broken.

At this point, had I bought the game (Which I specifically didn't do at launch because of how badly the company has handled this game since it's inception. Thankfully I took a wait and see approach.) I would have returned it by now. There are plenty of other games I could spend the $60 on that I wouldn't have to wait to play.

hamchan

Well, I'm one of those full paying people that is fairly annoyed by this whole thing....

p3tran

Banned
Didnt take long for this thread to turn into a DC vs H2 shitfest.

Well done.

congratulations to you too for the personal attack.

I didnt know that because this is a thread discussing the driveclub servers not working,
its cool to write stuff like "content is equal on dc and horizon"

you probably dont know it, but its not!

as this is a discussion forum, if you have anything to say on that -without insults- please say so.

teiresias

What does this all have to do with server issues?

Was mainly quoting those to people that insist on saying the server issues aren't a problem because you can still play offline and that apparently EVO never meant for the online to be a big part of the game.

The people who have paid for the game are quite content playing single player until the servers are back up.
That's not my personal experience (I paid full price for the game) or those of the members of the club I'm trying to join on another message board. I mean, it's not the end of the world, and I'm having fun with the offline component. Without the online component, though, it's not the game it was pitched as being.

BadAss2961

I don't get why this happened. How many players could Driveclub be pulling to cause the servers to go awry?

I can't imagine that this game is selling much with the lack of hype and advertising.

teiresias

I don't get why this happened. How many players could Driveclub be pulling to cause the servers to go awry?

I can't imagine that this game is selling much with the lack of hype and advertising.

Is there a lack of advertising? I honestly don't know as I don't read the gaming "journalism" sites and I don't watch TV so I never have any clue how much a game is marketed anymore.

If it's true that Sony put no money towards marketing this game, that's one point towards the conspiracy theorists. Why spend money marketing a game you know ahead of time will be broken at launch? How strangely fortuitous that Sony hadn't made any marketing buys to support this game that are now going wasted. I think it would be interesting to know who knew what about how well the online would hold up in Driveclub and when they knew it.

ICPEE

Was mainly quoting those to people that insist on saying the server issues aren't a problem because you can still play offline and that apparently EVO never meant for the online to be a big part of the game.
It's a problem alright. Half of the Driveclub concept is online clubs, challenges, racing. I don't think anyone can sugar coat that half the game's appeal is crippled right now. However, the developers are actively trying to rectify the problem.

congratulations to you too for the personal attack.

I didnt know that because this is a thread discussing the driveclub servers not working,
its cool to write stuff like "content is equal on dc and horizon"

you probably dont know it, but its not!

as this is a discussion forum, if you have anything to say on that -without insults- please say so.
Wow, i insulted you? The fuq? Where in my comment did i insult you?

I merely pointed out the fact that Driveclub threads always devolve into a DC vs H2 debate and your comment is fanning the flames.

"content is equal on dc and horizon" <------ Thats bait. You fell for it hook, line and sinker.

I won't comment on which game has more content than the other. Its not the place for that type of discussion. There is a next gen faceoff thread for people who want to discuss or compare racing games.

Bashtee

Online game doesn't work well during launch. Big surprise for everyone. WoW + addons, Diablo 3 + addon, BF3 and 4, TLoU on PS4, Watch Dogs, Final Fantasy XIV and what not. Give them time to fix it. Let's just hope they work a bit faster than DICE with BF4.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

It was #3 on the UK charts last week behind FIFA.

Make of that what you will.

This game was plenty hyped at the PS4 launch and PS4 users were hungry for a racing title.

i-Lo

Forza comparisons are pointless. It's not FH2 and crapped out online functionality atm is affecting the game from attaining its own goals. Once everything is back in service, it won't suddenly become a Forza Horizon 2 contender.

Pretty much. They sold us on the core focus of the game being "Clubs" and playing together "Online". So...

Is there a lack of advertising? I honestly don't know as I don't read the gaming "journalism" sites and I don't watch TV so I never have any clue how much a game is marketed anymore.

If it's true that Sony put no money towards marketing this game, that's one point towards the conspiracy theorists. Why spend money marketing a game you know ahead of time will be broken at launch? How strangely fortuitous that Sony hadn't made any marketing buys to support this game that are now going wasted. I think it would be interesting to know who knew what about how well the online would hold up in Driveclub and when they knew it.

.... to what benefit would that be? This is the zaniest conspiracy theory.

Kinyou

Online game doesn't work well during launch. Big surprise for everyone. WoW + addons, Diablo 3 + addon, BF3 and 4, TLoU on PS4, Watch Dogs, Final Fantasy XIV and what not. Give them time to fix it. Let's just hope they work a bit faster than DICE with BF4.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some devs/publishers knowingly don't upgrade their servers for launch day traffic. Dealing with a few days of server issues instead might be more cost effective.

Not saying that this happened here, but servers are rarely ready for the onslaught.

I love the game but these server issues are really not excusable given the nature of the game, and it will be going on a week soon. They need to compensate people who bought the game with the DLC for free.

My hate is growing towards Paul and Evo. Its just not acceptable that playes who bought the game and payed 59 dollars/euros for it cant play the game.

The way they are handeling this is just idiotic and there is no excuse for it. Im now at the point where they can shove the game where the sun doesnt shine!

Wow that's pretty harsh to hate them.....ugh. They are trying to fix it, the bug caught them by surprise, they are working "flat out" to fix it, and you hate them for it? Lose faith, distrust, maybe, but hate them? Come on dude....

i-Lo

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some devs/publishers knowingly don't upgrade their servers for launch day traffic. Dealing with a few days of server issues instead might be more cost effective.

Not saying that this happened here, but servers are rarely ready for the onslaught.

Well, Rushy tweeted yesterday that it's apparently the bug and there is no limit to how many servers they can commandeer for the actual purpose of letting play online. I am not sure whether it's the same problem today as well but after one misleading tweet by Rushy, I'd take any official news from twitter with a pinch of salt.

They mention it..

Do you own the game?
Stop saying this. It's a dumb defense. You don't need to own a game to understand why a technical issue is a problem and how it can harm the game.

Not to mention you're just using evidence you saw on a Facebook page and acting like those people represent everyone complaining. There are obviously people who own it and are complaining about it otherwise we wouldn't have any first hand accounts of any of the issues in the first place. You're just cluttering up the thread with nonsensical arguments that have no baring on the situation.

I don't get the anger some people have. Like do you really think Evo is just chilling and didn't care if their game was going to crash and burn and maybe bring them with it? Especially with how people looked at Dice and BF4?

Or do you maybe think they basically just got stuck with a break and are trying to fix it and repair the damage? Obviously they tested it out, did a Beta on PSN and such, and it worked. They wanted a working game and did the tests they knew to do and it passed. Real world played out differently. That happens with software and tests. A little team relative to a massive world audience means a lot of issues only get caught by the mass real world audience. This is one that came from the real world audience and is Evo's worst nightmare.

Get off their backs. They obviously would rather be known for a flawless release and an instant fix the next day at worst. If it's taking time, it's because the issue takes time so resolve.

I've been saying the same for some time now. Nobody cares. They're gonna bitch and go overboard anyway.

Gestault

Too dramatic?

The amount of rationalizing and bizarre characterization makes you sound like a crazy person. A product is continuing to be sold at full retail pricing, after years of advertising and promotion, that doesn't work as promised (or designed). People have every right to be annoyed in that situation. No, it's not the audience' job to supplant their interests for those of the people behind the game. Your comparison is also basically the most disrespectful thing I've read toward Evolution in this thread, at least that's purported to be in defense of their situation.

I'll be playing the game when it's in working order, and delivered as it was promoted through the PS+ version. I also have less confidence in the studio, and if it comes to light that Sony was under-supporting them internally, I'll shift that annoyance to Sony. Either way, I'll play a good game when it arrives. I love this genre, and I respect Evolution's work.

Top Bottom