• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

Mascot

Looks very twitchy. Can't stand racers like that.

I hope its just the dumb people playing it.

Almost all in-car views played with a pad look twitchy like that unless there's some damping between the input and what's shown on screen. You can go lock-to-lock in a millisecond with a pad but obviously have to turn a wheel controller a lot more progressively.

People are quick to judgement aren't they? Especially on a game we don't know how old the build we're seeing is, and the developer themselves said was 35% complete. Also comparing this to Forza 5 is apples and oranges.

Hopefully we get a Motorstorm in good time.

DriveClub looks like an adequate driving game for launch. It's no Forza but I will also have GT6 on PS3.

jett

D-Member
30fps is really disappointing. How can you design a next-gen racer around that framerate? The game looks good but I don't even see anything that justifies that framerate to be honest.

GorillaJu

I hope that it's polished and refined sufficiently for release. That UsGamer article made it sound fantastic in terms of game play, but you'd really hope for a launch game to be truly impressive graphically

The_Monk

I'm very hyped for this game. It was one of those games I wanted to get it Day one and now they saying that is part of the PS Plus program, right fellow GAFfers?

So good, even better because my PS Plus carry on from PS3 to PS4.

Mascot

30fps is really disappointing. How can you design a next-gen racer around that framerate? The game looks good but I don't even see anything that justifies that framerate to be honest.

Not even the "35% complete" banners?

I agree though, the final game NEEDS to be 60fps.

GorillaJu

I slowly get the feeling that is is going to be PS4's Lair.

Why on earth would you think that? Lair was a graphically impressive but not fun game marred by a janky control scheme. This game is, by all reports, very fun, with great controls, but not extremely impressive, graphically. Hopefully that last point will change.

Perkel

Banned

They are trying to achieve 60FPS. We need to wait and see if it will make it into final game.

Right now we don't even know if devkits are in final form. Some dev mentioned they get updated to devkit software on weekly basis and with each upgrade to software devkits are better.

Honestly i hope they will go with 60FPS. IT is super important to action games and racing games.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Why on earth would you think that? Lair was a graphically impressive but not fun game marred by a janky control scheme. This game is, by all reports, very fun, with great controls, but not extremely impressive, graphically. Hopefully that last point will change.

It's just gut feeling. I would love it to be awesome.

bud

while the trailers didn't blow my mind, i thought they looked quite beautiful.

these gameplay videos, however, aren't really doing it for me. why isn't there any direct-feed footage like with infamous?

Loudninja

Thankfully time is something Evolution Studios have on their side. The game, at least according to the developers I was speaking to, is under constant refinement. Things that didn’t look quite right in the current build would either be sorted by the end of the week or had already been ironed out in the previous few days, or so I’m told. A game seeing continual tweaking, a game perpetually building on its already solid foundations.
No matter what you do, or how you do it, it counts. If you’re not a great racer, perhaps you’re good at drifting; if you’re not great on corners, perhaps you’ve got no fear and will happily smash the average speed record for a given segment. This works so well because it continually remaps to your skill-set, picking relevant opponents at every junction. And at the end, you see not only where you are amongst everyone else, but also how your club has done as a result. Addictive? Yes.
The handling is great, though – it’s solid at low speeds and terrifying at high, the twitchy nature of the physics meaning you’re kept on your toes throughout the race. The track offered provided plenty of challenge, not least because of the multiple challenges that occurred during the couple of minutes it lasted, but it also showcased a reliable, consistent set of mechanics and rules that Evolution should be pretty chuffed with. Yes, it’s an arcade racer, but it’s a good one.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/12/hands-on-driveclub/

This really sounds fun.

sneaky77

According to this article, Driveclub is a lot of fun, but looks worse @30FPS than Forza 3 @60FPS:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/gt6-v-forza-5-v-driveclub

This really shouldn't be the case with the PS4 being quite a bit more powerful than the s(urveillance)bone.

the whole thing about the PS4 being more powerful is not going to show differences until companies get more time to get in there and work with finalized hardware.. launch titles are launch titles, and is not like the xbox one is a piece of crap system,

Razgreez

I see some sites claiming that forza looks better than DC yet from the playthroughs i've seen the opposite seems more evident. If anything the detail of the cars in DC seems markedly better

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Driveclub looks better graphically, buy this game being free (albeit a limited version of the game) with PS+ is a good fucking move.

The_Monk

Reduced content, not reduced functions. The gameplay is the same, but you won't get all of the cars/tracks.

Thanks for answering fellow GAFfer. I wonder if they can come up as DLC and still be the better option or if it's better to just get the full game Day one.

Always thought Drive Club looked impressive from the trailers I've seen. I'll give it a try with Plus anyway. Forza looks great too and GT6 so it's a good time for racing fans IMO

yes it part of ps+ (that you will need to have to play online anyway)
when you get the game from ps+ you play it aslong you are subscribed

the ps+ version of driveclub will not be the same as the disc i think.maybe less tracks and cars? we need to know

This is what I need them to give more info on.

How is the PS+ edition different from the retail version? Racing games are my thing, so I want all the cars and tracks.

Played this, Forza and NFS yesterday. Graphically it looks good but Forza and NFS demos blow it out of the water during game play. If you have played these on the show floor you have to be blind not to see the huge difference. Hopefully the graphics improve on DC as I will be getting it, and I am not sure I want to buy a Xbone for this game.

The controller makes a big difference too as the rumble feedback on xbone was so good, especially with the new triggers it made the experience so much more enjoyable. I just want to hate on Xbone due their DRM but this was a tough pill to swallow yesterday.

Loudninja

Players can issue challenges to friends and race either asynchronously or competitively online, with a plethora of granular tweaks including the ability to edit parameters such as the time of day or amount of clouds. “You’re racing at night and it’s cloudy. When it’s dark, that’s going to be way harder than a clear night sky or midday. All those things can make the challenges quite individual,” Perkins told us.
The game is also able to create new challenges based on your own racing. “It records everything that you do,” Perkins said. “It’ll pick up challenges from anyone you race. It’ll try and analyze what you’re doing, how well you’re doing and preview scores that are close to what you’re doing.”
DriveClub was announced as a racing game with cars that the studio has “gone borderline insane” recreating accurately, and even in Sony’s E3 build (which it told us is only 35% complete), the results are impressive. Our demo included an Audio R8 V10 Plus and Pagani Huarya, and each required its own unique learning curve. The Audi is easy to handle, while the Huarya picked up speed insanely quickly but will have you breaking earlier to compensate, causing you to spin out
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-challenging-friends-in-driveclub

Pop

I'm not a big racing game fan but I will download and play the PS+ version quite a bit.

Good move by Sony

Well, if the reports on power differences between XONE and PS4 are true, there is no excuse if it looks worse. I'm not sure if Forza 5 runs at 1080p, probably not (1080p compatible is not the same), but as an exclusive, DriveClub should easily manage to top Forza 5. I don't know what they can do to the engine in just a few weeks from now on...

It's native 1080p. and if DC really is 35% done (or whatever they showed) it should look worse than Forza 5 right now. PS4 has a hardware advantage, but it's not that significant.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That Julian Rignall article was pretty positive. He came away enjoying what he played. Having driveclub described as 'not quite as meticulous' as Forza 5 isn't exactly damning. Forza will be using autovista models from Forza 4 so it is bound to have gorgeous car models. This isn't GT7 Vs Forza, having a ground up arcade racer be close to some of the best car models out there is a good thing.

Top Bottom