• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have posted previously regards my sympathies towards software development, but DriveClub definitely needed more time in the oven before release.

Would have delayed until following implemented/changed

Photo mode, replay mode, weather
Remove corner penalties (terrible design decision)
Ability to change car colour
Wider car selection (japan,us)
Elements of overarching story/tour progression to give it a more cohesive feel

Online not working is the straw on the camel's back, particularly when it's greatest strength is the point to point, leaderboard attack.

Still enjoying my time but feels like a beta product right now.
I know stuff is still to come, but the only thing I've found *missing* is any details whatsoever on the cars outside of those few performance bars. No stats, no descriptions, no metrics, no breakdowns and no way to just walk around and admire the car in first person.

I could say similar things about the locations but that's more of a nice thing - descriptions of the locales, map overheads, info like latitude and longitude and weather and time settings as you start up a course.

Nafai1123

Banned
You can ?, i want to cycle between red, blue, black, white etc... all i see is custom paint jobs/graphic decals which are aesthetically not my taste.

Go to your garage and select one of the custom presets. You can change it to whatever you want, including non-graphic paintjobs if you select no decals.

I know stuff is still to come, but the only thing I've found *missing* is any details whatsoever on the cars outside of those few performance bars. No stats, no descriptions, no metrics, no breakdowns and no way to just walk around and admire the car.

I could say similar things about the locations but that's more of a nice thing - descriptions of the locales, map overheads, info like latitude and longitude and weather and time settings as you start up a course.
Let Rushy and the team know about that. They may add it down the road.

drotahorror

You can ?, i want to cycle between red, blue, black, white etc... all i see is custom paint jobs/graphic decals which are aesthetically not my taste.

Edit the preset ones and choose no vinyls or w/e. Can't remember exactly what it is but my presets are just solid colors.

Have posted previously regards my sympathies towards software development, but DriveClub definitely needed more time in the oven before release.

Online not working is the straw on the camel's back, particularly when it's greatest strength is the point to point, leaderboard attack.

Replays and photo mode are additional features that won't affect your core gameplay. Weather I guess will due to handling changes/visibility etc.

So weather aside, they are additional features so to me it doesn't matter when they arrive. In other words, the racing I take part in today would be the same racing I take part in 2 months down the line if they were to wait for a release for in December. So releasing now means less waiting, more racing in the final, stable version of the game.

Corner penalties are there for a reason. Nothing wrong with them. I haven't had the luxury of playing the game yet so maybe there are dubious corners, but having watched a lot of streams it has never occurred and I've felt that it was undue. It was corner cutting in all occasions, sometimes slight, but had another car been involved it would have been advantageous to have taken the position they did, so whilst driving solo it might seem harsh, in race conditions it wouldn't be. Maybe this opinion will change when the game releases on Friday and I finally get to play it!

Colour I agree with, and don't worry about car locations, those countries will be represented soon enough ;)

Foshy

FINALLY! My club has its first active member! swooohhh!
Hi :)

Tried out some remote play, the game looks downright incredible downsampled to 540p on the Vita screen. Plays well too, even though I'm used to playing on the wheel.

Unfortunately I won't have time to play tomorrow during the day...

I can't believe how barebones the car customization is in this game.

There is no car customization besides appearance. And that's a positive for some people (including me).

Corner penalties are there for a reason. Nothing wrong with them. I haven't had the luxury of playing the game yet so maybe there are dubious corners, but having watched a lot of streams it has never occurred and I've felt that it was undue. It was corner cutting in all occasions, sometimes slight, but had another car been involved it would have been advantageous to have taken the position they did, so whilst driving solo it might seem harsh, in race conditions it wouldn't be. Maybe this opinion will change when the game releases on Friday and I finally get to play it!

Yep, corner penalties aren't bad at all. The devs obviously really want the players to stay on the road, and that's perfectly ok.

Car colors can be customized also. In fact, there's a trophy for creating a custom appearance (which you can then apply to every car - there are four slots).

vpance

This is a really good game. Norsk Hill Climb in the Ferrari California from dusk til night was crazy, felt like a rally driver going through that village at 150kmh, lol. Took a couple tries but finally aced it. The Ferrari sound amazing too, good job Evo.

NeoRausch

Hi :)

Tried out some remote play, the game looks downright incredible downsampled to 540p on the Vita screen. Plays well too, even though I'm used to playing on the wheel.

Unfortunately I won't have time to play tomorrow during the day...

Ah, there you are!
Just got our Club up to lvl 3 and unlocked the Bentley Continental GT V8
What do you think about the Club paintjob and logo?
i'm really not sure about the logo.

Redmoon

Just managed to somehow pull off a nearly perfect drift (my first successful one) while trying to beat my ghost in a Time Trial. 8700~ points. Felt oh so satisfying.

Oh, I beat the ghost too ^^

Just managed to somehow pull off a nearly perfect drift (my first successful one) while trying to beat my ghost in a Time Trial. 8700~ points. Felt oh so satisfying.

Oh, I beat the ghost too ^^

how do you drift in this game? only played a few races so far and couldn't quite get it

SxP

Damn, if the sun is low in the sky it can mess you up. I pretty much had to drive via my minimap, I couldn't see a thing.

Foshy

Ah, there you are!
Just got our Club up to lvl 3 and unlocked the Bentley Continental GT V8
What do you think about the Club paintjob and logo?
i'm really not sure about the logo.
Didn't really have a close look at the paintjob yet, sorry. I like the club name though.

TEH-CJ

Banned
After putting some more hours into it. Probably the biggest complaint is the inconsistent car sounds. Actually at a closer inspection, most of the cars sound really digital, similar to the approach GT games use.

benzy

I hope by story you don't mean an actual written story like Forza Horizon, NFS, DIRT, etc. Those are all terrible and take away from the most fun part of a racer, the actual driving and racing. I wish I could skip the narration and story parts in all of those games.

So is "Driveclub servers are overloaded" still the current thing? Or is there some sort of crash they experienced once it met / exceeded capacity?

slow your roll going into corners. Brake early, coast, line up the apex, gas out of the corner.. I hear the tire squeal, but not all the time.

Unless you're Jim Clark, in which case you brake at the last possible moment, turn gently into the apex, and power slide on your way out. Alas, there was only one Jim Clark.

How I'd love to see Grand Prix Legends with DC's graphics engine.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Some new info

Hi everyone. As many of you are already aware, the DRIVECLUB team has made the decision to postpone the release of the PlayStation Plus Edition due to multiplayer connectivity issues following the game’s launch yesterday in North America and today in much of Europe. See here for a full statement on the situation from Evolution Studios.

The team is working around the clock to rectify these problems, and we apologize both for the delay in delivering the PS Plus Edition and for any difficulty that you may have connecting to the game’s multiplayer servers.

For live updates on the situation direct from the studio, visit the team’s Facebook page and Twitter feed.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/08/driveclub-update-2/#sf5123007

drotahorror

While the servers are kind of on, anyone want to try to join a club i started? I just want to get the cars from the club levels. Shoot me a PM we can set it up real quick.

le-seb

I thought orange and blue always worked well together lol. I hope we'll have a decent paint job before the League starts heh.
Well, they can work together:
BzdPfvKIUAAUCj2.jpg:large
BzdP0xlIMAEXL9N.jpg:large
What do you think?

Redmoon

how do you drift in this game? only played a few races so far and couldn't quite get it
Still learning it myself, but I use the handbrake and turn into the curve to start the drift. Get lost on what to do after.

Enter in 3rd gear, hit handbrake, turn, down shift and floor it...and pray

Is manual better for drifting in general? I've been using auto till I get used to racing again, but just curious.

Replays and photo mode are additional features that won't affect your core gameplay. Weather I guess will due to handling changes/visibility etc.

So weather aside, they are additional features so to me it doesn't matter when they arrive. In other words, the racing I take part in today would be the same racing I take part in 2 months down the line if they were to wait for a release for in December. So releasing now means less waiting, more racing in the final, stable version of the game.

Colour I agree with, and don't worry about car locations, those countries will be represented soon enough ;)

I agree in theory, however my thinking is leaning more towards the initial impressions/critical reviews etc.

Depends if there was a hard release date set by Sony, if there was scope to delay I would suggest it would have been beneficial for the review scores/initial user impressions etc to have the additional content ready before release.

vpance

One more tip for drifting. Once you've initiated the drift and your revs or speed start to slip, downshift a gear so you can maintain the loss of traction a little longer.

Snaku

Banned
Servers worked for me for about an hour, and I've lost connection again. Having a damn good time with it so far, and it's the first racing game that's resonated with me on any level. Started a club if any East coaster gaffers wanna go fast.

Club: Fetts Vette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom