• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with Bravia TV,can you share your "GAME" settings?

Brightness: 50
Contrast: 85
Sharpness: 0 (0 is unprocessed, anything higher and you are artificially sharpening the image beyond its intended look and emphasising jaggies)
Colour: 50
Colour Temp: Neutral

ALL other options off, including the Advanced options.

Skux

Anyone with Bravia TV,can you share your "GAME" settings?

Don't bother with those preset modes, they usually oversaturate and overcontrast the picture. Running some simple calibration test patterns is a good way to make sure you're seeing all the levels you should be. AVSHD is a good one.

For my TV, it's

Backlight 8
Picture 90
Brightness 60
Colour 50

And everything else neutral, off or zero.

Footos22

Brightness: 50
Contrast: 85
Sharpness: 0 (0 is unprocessed, anything higher and you are artificially sharpening the image beyond its intended look and emphasising jaggies)
Colour: 50
Colour Temp: Neutral

ALL other options off, including the Advanced options.

Sharpness at 0 on a w8 is a blurry mess.

Then you never did these settings when you setup your PS4 for the first time, it has nothing to do with DC.

Ahem...yes, I did and I reset the Display Area Setting back to its default because FIFA 15 has a bug with that setting that causes the HUD to not only move as expected but also INCREASE in size. Furthermore, I realised that on the default setting that games had their HUDs in the same place as PC and Xbox One games, in other words how the developers intended and in some games such as Diablo III expanding the Display Area Setting to the corners of my screen results in the HUD being too near the edges.

Besides, Driveclub and MLB 14: The Show are the ONLY two PS4 games out of the 60+ I have installed (disc and downloaded) that use the Display Area Setting to stretch the screen to full size on a native 1:1 pixel mapped 1080p TV such as mine. All the others, with the exception of FIFA 15 which is bugged, use it simply to reposition the HUD and are fullscreen 1080p even with the Display Area Setting left at its default position.

Read my thread here, which includes screenshot comparisons, for more info: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/283499

Sharpness at 0 on a w8 is a blurry mess.

I have an EX503 Bravia TV here in the UK. My understanding is that 0 is the setting that means "no processing" and each setting above that adds artificial processing, at least that is what many of the professional reviews have said. It is, of course, an optional setting but I don't find BDs or games blurry with 0 sharpness on my TV.

Loudninja

I played the game for just over three hours and I will just sum up my opinions so far on the game as a list of pluses/pros and minuses/cons.

The Good Stuff:
+ Graphics look pretty nice, including the cars
+ Loading times are quick
+ Cars handle well and feel different from each other
+ Couple of decent tunes during game
+ Competent racing...when the A.I. isn't playing bumper cars with you!
+ Sense of speed is superb despite being 30 FPS
+ Game constantly rewards you with new cars and skins

The Not So Good Stuff:
- No replays at all (WTF!)
- No weather at launch (inexcusable given the ten month delay...)
- Pointless, given that there are no replays, and woefully basic character editor
- Lacklustre title music and bland in-game music overall
- Weak crashing effects
- Sterile personality-free presentation
- Game modes seem to be lacking
- Factory and choice of 5 skins, including a Club one, but no option to change car colour (erm, why exactly?)
- Functional but dull career mode
- Deplorably bad A.I. that constantly rams into your car resulting in penalties
- Races lack excitement
- Feels a bit unfinished
- You need to adjust the bloody Display Area Setting in order to get a fullscreen 1080p game otherwise the game runs with a big black border around it.

NOTE TO DEVELOPERS: THIS IS *NOT* WHAT THIS SETTING IS INTENDED FOR AS IT SHOULD BE USED *ONLY* TO REPOSITION THE HUD!!! PLEASE ADD A SCREEN ADJUSTMENT OPTION TO THE GAME ITSELF!

Overall this is a competent game but it really does not stand out in any way from other similar games such GRID Autosport, which this closely resembles. It seems very much geared around social online gaming and, as such, the single player modes feel like an after thought. As the PS4's first exclusive racing game, I can't help but feel disappointed with it from first impressions. It is perhaps unfortunate that this was released one week after the much better (IMO) Forza Horizon 2 because I think I would have been more impressed with the game had it been a launch game for the PS4 as intended.

I will obviously keep playing to check out more cars and tracks, and see if the game hopefully grows on me a bit more.
No one knew the game had weather until June 2014.

They just started working on it it was never for launch it was a new feature.

WoolyNinja

I played the game for just over three hours and I will just sum up my opinions so far on the game as a list of pluses/pros and minuses/cons.

Isn't this a repost from the NeoGAF's Official "DRIVECLUB" Club & Event Thread? And you completely ignored the fact that in there I also mentioned that you can color the car in the garage?

Nyx

Ahem...yes, I did and I reset the Display Area Setting back to its default because FIFA 15 has a bug with that setting that causes the HUD to not only move as expected but also INCREASE in size. Furthermore, I realised that on the default setting that games had their HUDs in the same place as PC and Xbox One games, in other words how the developers intended and in some games such as Diablo III expanding the Display Area Setting to the corners of my screen results in the HUD being too near the edges.

Besides, Driveclub and MLB 14: The Show are the ONLY two PS4 games out of the 60+ I have installed (disc and downloaded) that use the Display Area Setting to stretch the screen to full size on a native 1:1 pixel mapped 1080p TV such as mine. All the others, with the exception of FIFA 15 which is bugged, use it simply to reposition the HUD and are fullscreen 1080p even with the Display Area Setting left at its default position.

Read me thread here, which includes screenshot comparisons, for more info: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/283499

Ah ok! My bad then, thanks for the link!

Was online this morning for about an hour. Sketchy enough connection. Could view profiles only really. I didn't dare play a match considering how long it took to load a leaderboard. Tis improving e'er so slowly.

"A good time is coming, be it ever so far away".
Inscribed on the outside of a pub here in Ireland...rather apt considering my club name is #DrivePub

No one knew the game had weather until June 2014.

They just started working on it it was never for launch it was a new feature.

All current gen racing games should have dynamic lighting and weather as standard, if only to add variety. Forza Horizon 2 managed it at launch and it should have been included in Driveclub too even if it meant delaying the game. And even if weather had not been announced in June 2014, I would still have criticised the game for not having it included at launch so it makes no difference in my summing up of the game's good and bad points.

Of course, had Driveclub been delayed further then the PS4 would only have had LittleBigPlanet 3 as its sole exclusive in the run up to Christmas so I suspect that it the real for Driveclub coming out now minus weather.

Upinsmoke

Played this last night when it unlocked, only for an hour or so but completed about 7 or 8 events. I really enjoyed it, graphics are good, handles well, the presentation is dated in the sense that it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a need for speed, or a female voice chatting to you while your trying to navigate menu's for the first time. Personally I like that, it brings back memories of games I used to play, no fannying about.

The most impressive thing bar the graphics is how the tracks feel, every bump or crevice, the way the corners bank, and you can really feel it, like your there. This is especially noticible in the first race you do in Scotland. Secondly another great feeling is when you hit the braking point exactly right into a corner and you almost glide round, on the edge of losing control but you don't (sometimes you do!!) and it's even more satisfying if you nail an opponent in that little sector. Can't wait to play online against other people.

The weather is coming, so are replays, so I'm happy and 35 quid is a good price.

23qwerty

All current gen racing games should have dynamic lighting and weather as standard, if only to add variety. Forza Horizon 2 managed it at launch and it should have been included in Driveclub too even if it meant delaying the game. And even if weather had not been announced in June 2014, I would still have criticised the game for not having it included at launch so it makes no difference in my summing up of the game's good and bad points.

Of course, had Driveclub been delayed further then the PS4 would only have had LittleBigPlanet 3 as its sole exclusive in the run up to Christmas so I suspect that it the real for Driveclub coming out now minus weather.

FH2's dynamic weather is extremely basic compared to Driveclub's though.

Hoje0308

Banned

Forza Horizon 2 has neither dynamic lighting nor weather. Try again.

Edit: I'm probably wrong on the lighting.

Isn't this a repost from the NeoGAF's Official "DRIVECLUB" Club & Event Thread? And you completely ignored the fact that in there I also mentioned that you can color the car in the garage?

Yes, it is because I realised I'd posted in the wrong thread and then could not find the thread to delete it (the NeoGAF forum could really do with separate sections IMO as threads are quickly pushed off the first page by newer thread posts).

So how do you change the colour then at the car select screen? I see a Factory setting, a Club one and four Custom skins but selecting the Factory one just sets the default colour and there are no buttons listed on screen that show how to alter the colour at that point. If this is where the colour is altered then, again, my criticism still applies because it is not obvious at all that you can even alter the colour. Other games usually show a colour palette at that point which you then select from and then confirm before the race starts.

Loudninja

Heh weather makes it easier to drift didn't realize that they said that.

Alex Perkins: As you’d expect, weather is a game changer. When your tires get wet it’s harder to brake and easier to drift, which has a big effect on how you race and score fame for your club. It’s not just the handling that changes though, visibility can also change massively and impact on how the game plays too, especially at night when you’ve got your windscreen wipers going like crazy and your headlights are reflecting on the snowflakes ahead of you to blanket the sky in white.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/08/first-look-driveclubs-dynamic-weather-in-action/

NOOOOOOOOOO

I turned off my TV and it automatically turned off my ps4 as well. Booted driveclub back up and I'm now offline again like the rest of you peasants :(

Forza Horizon 2 has neither dynamic lighting nor weather. Try again.

Have you even played the game? lol

Yes, Forza Horizon does have weather (it rains randomly) and there is a day to night cycle on Xbox One. Maybe the Xbox 360 version doesn't...I don't know because I'm not playing that version. ;-)

bombshell

Yes, it is because I realised I'd posted in the wrong thread and then could not find the thread to delete it (the NeoGAF forum could really do with separate sections IMO as threads are quicker pushed off the first page).

So how do you change the colour then at the car select screen? I see a Factory setting, a Club one and four Custom skins but selecting the Factory one just sets the default colour and there are no buttons listed on screen that show how to alter the colour at that point. If this is where the colour is altered then, again, my criticism still applies because it is not obvious at all that you can even alter the colour. Other games usually show a colour palette at that point which you then select from and then confirm before the race starts.

Make a custom livery with only a base color, no decals.

Loudninja

qmzfuo.gif

Harder to brake in weather means destruction derby online.

Hoje0308

Banned
Have you even played the game? lol

Yes, Forza Horizon does have weather (it rains randomly) and there is a day to night cycle on Xbox One. Maybe the Xbox 360 version doesn't...I don't know because I'm not playing that version. ;-)

It doesn't have real time global illumination and the weather is the same canned shit games have been using for years. A far cry from what Evolution are attempting with Driveclub.
Essentially, you're confusing day/night systems with fully dynamic lighting.

Make a custom livery with only a base color, no decals.

Right, thank you. So it *is* possible to change the colour...

...but the game still doesn't have an easy way of changing the car colour during the main career mode, which was really the point I was making (though perhaps I did not make that very clear due to the brief descriptions).

That to me is a major oversight especially as the Factory option usually means factory colours and most cars do not ship in only one colour. Why is there no colour select at that point? Surely that is not a difficult thing to do; most other arcade racing games do it for example, such as Forza Horizon 2, GRID Autosport, Burnout Paradise, etc, etc.

It doesn't have real time global illumination and the weather is the same canned shit games have been using for years. A far cry from what Evolution are attempting with Driveclub.

You don't even understand what the words you are saying mean. Your previous post was false in every way and this one is a weak attempt to dig yourself out.

Quexex

Banned
Yeah, sony used to have 0 as the preferred sharpness setting, but on more recent models you have to add some in. Can't remember what the neutral was but have a play with it, see what you prefer.

Older Sony TVs used to have zero sharpness at the mid point. So you have

blur 0<-------50%------->100% sharpness

So no processing or zero sharpness is at 50%.

Be interested to hear what you guys get at a midpoint, my HX9 is set to halfway and it looks spot on!

Dynamic simply means changing and that is what happens in Forza Horizon 2 with day and night cycles plus shadows move with the lighting. And it rains randomly, there are sometimes thunderstorms with lighting. That is weather even if doesn't include snow or sleet. I really don't see why you keep trying to insist otherwise. lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Heh weather makes it easier to drift didn't realize that they said that.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/08/first-look-driveclubs-dynamic-weather-in-action/

Having driven with that weather in the road between Briançon and Mongenevre with my good old 1999 Opel Tigra, slightly lowered profile, and snow tires... those words sound sooo good :D.
DriveClub's weather system, believable handling, and pretty vistas make for a very pretty and unique combination :).

Hoje0308

Banned
Dynamic simply means changing and that is what happens in Forza Horizon 2 with day and night cycles plus shadows move with the lighting. And it rains randomly, there are sometimes thunderstorms with lighting. That is weather even if doesn't include snow or sleet. I really don't see why you keep trying to insist otherwise. lol

No there's a difference between fully dynamic lighting and pre-baked. You can still get day to night transitions with the latter, mind you. I was under the impression FH2 was using dynamic light sources for headlights and street lights and such, but not for the global aspect. What you're referring to with the lighting and weather isn't dynamic in the true sense. It's the same thing GTA3 did back in 2001.

No there's a difference between fully dynamic lighting and pre-baked. You can still get day to night transitions with the latter, mind you. I was under the impression FH2 was using dynamic light sources for headlights and street lights and such, but not for the global aspect.
So I'm not going to say that you're wrong about the use of GI in either game, but I suggest you read about what it is.

Hasney

Damn, other than the obvious server problems, the game really needs a soundtrack. Come on Sony, get MP3 support in so this is a non-issue for me.

DOWN

Banned
Damn, other than the obvious server problems, the game really needs a soundtrack. Come on Sony, get MP3 support in so this is a non-issue for me.

It has a soundtrack but you need to turn up music in the settings menu. It is off by default.

That said, I love racing with it off and if I want more music I also would love MP3 but am making due with a month of Music Unlimited Access for $5.

Kane1345

So I played this for the first time last night I found myself going in to try a couple of races before bed just to see what the game is like. Ended up staying up another 2.5 hours, boy is this game addictive!

It handles like a dream and definitely reminds me of that PGR way of driving. The lighting is stunning and honestly did make my jaw drop in some areas. I will echo sentiments that the first race in tour in india is honestly not that impressive but going into single event and trying random tracks and countries at different times was just breath taking. Also I love the soundtrack and the car sounds were great when using bonnet cam. I don't like the track side penalty it doesn't make any sense and I don't like that points get taken from me if cars hit me, these have to be taken out of the game.

The sense of speed was great and this was just with hatchbacks and the Maserati and I really liked the tracks that I played on so far. I'm glad I ignored the reviews and went with my gut feeling and the impressions from gaffers (good and bad) already sold me on the game.

Congrats to Evo and Rushy :)

Now get online working consistently!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom